[GNC] Unable to modify existing database

[GNC] Unable to modify existing database

SadhnaTrue
When I open GnuCash, I get the error message "unable to obtain a lock." I have searched for a .lck file, but none exists. I selected "Open Anyway" and tried to make changes to my accounts. I cannot save those changes because then I get the error message "unable to create a backup."

I have read all of the documentation, but cannot find a solution that works. I don't know of any instance where GnuCash closed inappropriately or crashed.

I updated to Version 3.7, hoping that would eliminate the problem.

Please tell me what to do to get rid of these error messages!

Sadhna G. True
[hidden email]
Mobile:  (859) 221-6064

Re: [GNC] Unable to modify existing database

Stan Brown
Usually "unable to obtain a lock" means that the previous instance of
GnuCash crashed or was force-stopped. But you say that didn't happen,
and if it had then you would not get the "unable to create a backup"
error when trying to save the file.

That error suggests that for some reason you do not have the ability to
write to the directory (in Windows, "folder") where your main GnuCash
data file lives. It could be a permissions problem,  or it could be that
the disk is full -- anything that prevents files from being written.

If my analysis is right, you get "unable to obtain the lock" because
GnuCash is unable to create the .lck file -- again pointing to
permissions problem in that directory or folder.

Stan Brown
Tompkins County, New York, USA
https://BrownMath.com
http://OakRoadSystems.com

On 2019-09-25 12:48, Sadhna True wrote:

> When I open GnuCash, I get the error message "unable to obtain a lock." I have searched for a .lck file, but none exists. I selected "Open Anyway" and tried to make changes to my accounts. I cannot save those changes because then I get the error message "unable to create a backup."
>
> I have read all of the documentation, but cannot find a solution that works. I don't know of any instance where GnuCash closed inappropriately or crashed.
>
> I updated to Version 3.7, hoping that would eliminate the problem.
>
> Please tell me what to do to get rid of these error messages!
>
> Sadhna G. True
> [hidden email]
> Mobile:  (859) 221-6064

Re: [GNC] Unable to modify existing database

SadhnaTrue
Thank you, that's very helpful. How do I fix the permissions problem? I don't see any issue with the disk being full. Note that I am no computer expert!

Sadhna G. True
[hidden email]

On 2019-09-25 12:48, Sadhna True wrote:

> When I open GnuCash, I get the error message "unable to obtain a lock." I have searched for a .lck file, but none exists. I selected "Open Anyway" and tried to make changes to my accounts. I cannot save those changes because then I get the error message "unable to create a backup."
>
> I have read all of the documentation, but cannot find a solution that works. I don't know of any instance where GnuCash closed inappropriately or crashed.
>
> I updated to Version 3.7, hoping that would eliminate the problem.
>
> Please tell me what to do to get rid of these error messages!
>
> Sadhna G. True
> [hidden email]
> Mobile:  (859) 221-6064

Re: [GNC] Unable to modify existing database

Adrien Monteleone-2
You shouldn’t suddenly have a permissions issue if all was working properly before.

Make sure you are trying to save the file either in your own user folder or on a thumb drive. (or network share)

Some users have reported here that trying to save files to C:\ or other locations have a chance to trigger the problem, especially on more recent versions of Windows. (10 in particular)

Also, make sure you are not logged into the computer using the ‘guest’ account if there is one. Those accounts usually can’t save files to the hard drive (but could to a thumb drive) and would likely trigger this as well.

> On Sep 25, 2019 w39d268, at 12:31 PM, Sadhna True <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thank you, that's very helpful. How do I fix the permissions problem? I don't see any issue with the disk being full. Note that I am no computer expert!
>
> Sadhna G. True

Re: [GNC] Unable to modify existing database

SadhnaTrue
I have not changed the location where the files are saved (in my user folder on the C:\ drive). It has always worked in the past. I looked at the permissions for the folder, and I don't see anything awry there (it looks to me like all of the permissions are set to "allow").

Any other suggestions?

Sadhna G. True
[hidden email]
You shouldn’t suddenly have a permissions issue if all was working properly before.

Make sure you are trying to save the file either in your own user folder or on a thumb drive. (or network share)

Some users have reported here that trying to save files to C:\ or other locations have a chance to trigger the problem, especially on more recent versions of Windows. (10 in particular)

Also, make sure you are not logged into the computer using the ‘guest’ account if there is one. Those accounts usually can’t save files to the hard drive (but could to a thumb drive) and would likely trigger this as well.

> On Sep 25, 2019 w39d268, at 12:31 PM, Sadhna True <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thank you, that's very helpful. How do I fix the permissions problem? I don't see any issue with the disk being full. Note that I am no computer expert!
>
> Sadhna G. True

Re: [GNC] Unable to modify existing database

Colin Law
Wasn't there an issue posted recently about Windows deciding that
gnucash was a malicious app and not letting it write anything to disk?

Colin

On Wed, 25 Sep 2019 at 20:16, Sadhna True <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have not changed the location where the files are saved (in my user folder on the C:\ drive). It has always worked in the past. I looked at the permissions for the folder, and I don't see anything awry there (it looks to me like all of the permissions are set to "allow").
>
> Any other suggestions?
>
> Sadhna G. True
> [hidden email]

My recollection is spotty but that sounds familiar. Maybe related, (or the same person) a few weeks ago someone could only save using Win10 to a thumb drive - for any app. They settled on continuing to do so and not proceeding down the rabbit hole further as far as I know.

If the user has access to their alleged user files, then they aren’t logged in as a guest, so that isn’t the problem.
If permissions are all set to ‘allow’ then that is ruled out.

That would leave either some sort of security measure (as you alluded to) or a drive space issue. (which supposedly isn’t the problem here either)

I’m not familiar with Win10’s security measures at the moment. Perhaps they have some sort of ’trusted apps’ list where GnuCash can be white-listed similar to firewall settings.

What is odd is that if this is the issue, why aren’t *many* more people reporting problems? (there are certainly plenty of Win10 users here)

p.s. -a cursory web search turns up some advice linked to Windows Defender ‘Controlled Folder Access’. The suggestion is to turn this feature off. I should think though one could white-list an app instead so it isn’t all or nothing, but I don’t have a copy of Win10 to verify that hunch.

> On Sep 25, 2019 w39d268, at 2:51 PM, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Wasn't there an issue posted recently about Windows deciding that
> gnucash was a malicious app and not letting it write anything to disk?
>
> Colin

Re: [GNC] Unable to modify existing database

SadhnaTrue
Problem solved! Adrien & Colin were correct - the issue was with Windows Defender (I am running Windows 10). There must have been a recent update that created this problem, not sure.

In any case, I fixed it by opening Windows Security in Settings and then going to Controlled Folder Access. I clicked on "Allow an App through Controlled Folder Access," found the GnuCash .exe file, and selected it. When I reopened the GnuCash app, everything worked normally (no more error messages).

Thanks to everyone who responded!

Sadhna G. True
[hidden email]
My recollection is spotty but that sounds familiar. Maybe related, (or the same person) a few weeks ago someone could only save using Win10 to a thumb drive - for any app. They settled on continuing to do so and not proceeding down the rabbit hole further as far as I know.

If the user has access to their alleged user files, then they aren’t logged in as a guest, so that isn’t the problem.
If permissions are all set to ‘allow’ then that is ruled out.

That would leave either some sort of security measure (as you alluded to) or a drive space issue. (which supposedly isn’t the problem here either)

I’m not familiar with Win10’s security measures at the moment. Perhaps they have some sort of ’trusted apps’ list where GnuCash can be white-listed similar to firewall settings.

What is odd is that if this is the issue, why aren’t *many* more people reporting problems? (there are certainly plenty of Win10 users here)

p.s. -a cursory web search turns up some advice linked to Windows Defender ‘Controlled Folder Access’. The suggestion is to turn this feature off. I should think though one could white-list an app instead so it isn’t all or nothing, but I don’t have a copy of Win10 to verify that hunch.

> On Sep 25, 2019 w39d268, at 2:51 PM, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Wasn't there an issue posted recently about Windows deciding that
> gnucash was a malicious app and not letting it write anything to disk?
>
> Colin

Re: [GNC] Unable to modify existing database

Stan Brown

Well, you haven't told us which OS you're using, so that makes it kind
of hard to advise you on details of setting permissions.

P.S. It's not necessary to reply twice.

On 2019-09-25 13:31, Sadhna True wrote:
> Thank you, that's very helpful. How do I fix the permissions problem? I
> don't see any issue with the disk being full. Note that I am no computer
> expert!

Re: [GNC] Unable to modify existing database

Adrien Monteleone-2
Stan,

Looks like you missed the ’solved’ reply that came in about 2hrs ago. (and it was Win10 for the record as noted in that reply)

> On Sep 25, 2019 w39d268, at 5:15 PM, Stan Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Well, you haven't told us which OS you're using, so that makes it kind
> of hard to advise you on details of setting permissions.
>
> P.S. It's not necessary to reply twice.

> Stan Brown

Re: [GNC] Unable to modify existing database

Glad that did the trick.

Maybe this should be added to the wiki FAQ?