[GNC] Unable to add prices to some securities

[GNC] Unable to add prices to some securities

Alan Taylor
Hello,

I am running the latest GnuCash on the latest MacOS.
In Price Database | Add , I can add prices to some securities but not others. On the ones that won’t update, the dialogue box appears normal but nothing gets saved (no prices saved under the security name).
Nothing obvious linking the failures or successes.
The standard Portfolio report does appear to update to contain the new price, but it shows no signs of being stored anywhere.
And of course the Online Price update does not work, I have updated Perl etc. as per the WIKI.

I guess the first order of business is to get the manual update working …

Cheers/Al;an

Re: [GNC] Unable to add prices to some securities

Bucky Carr

This might not be what you are seeing, but I found that I need to
press the "Apply" button after entering each security's info and when
done, then press "OK" button. If I skipped the "Apply" step, the info
was not saved / updated.

HTH...

On 3/19/2019 8:47 AM, Alan Taylor wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am running the latest GnuCash on the latest MacOS.
> In Price Database | Add , I can add prices to some securities but not others. On the ones that won’t update, the dialogue box appears normal but nothing gets saved (no prices saved under the security name).
> Nothing obvious linking the failures or successes.
> The standard Portfolio report does appear to update to contain the new price, but it shows no signs of being stored anywhere.
> And of course the Online Price update does not work, I have updated Perl etc. as per the WIKI.
>
> I guess the first order of business is to get the manual update working …
>
> Cheers/Al;an

Re: [GNC] Unable to add prices to some securities

Bucky Carr

Forgot to mention. For the Online Price update, I switched from
Alphavantage to Yahoo_JSON and it seems to be working fine.

On 3/19/2019 8:47 AM, Alan Taylor wrote:
> And of course the Online Price update does not work, I have updated Perl etc. as per the WIKI.

Re: [GNC] Unable to add prices to some securities

Alan Taylor
More things not working properly …
In the Save As dialogue there is no way to select sql - click on the displayed xml does not reveal any other possibilities
Also the price editor dialogue does not allow selection of a namespace. There should be several, but it displays “All non-currency” with no other selections possible.

Tried a reinstallation (3.4), no change.

BRgds/Alan

BRgds/Alan
On 19 Mar 2019, 23:05 +0800, Bucky Carr <[hidden email]>, wrote:

> Forgot to mention. For the Online Price update, I switched from
> Alphavantage to Yahoo_JSON and it seems to be working fine.
>

> On 3/19/2019 8:47 AM, Alan Taylor wrote:
> > And of course the Online Price update does not work, I have updated Perl etc. as per the WIKI.

Re: [GNC] Unable to add prices to some securities

Alan Taylor
Thanks Bucky but no joy, both with Yahoo and Apply.
After testing I do have a clue.
For the securities that are problematic, doing a manual ADD using the Price Database window appears to be normal (using apply and ok) but at conclusion nothing has been saved if looking for prices under the security in the left hand window. For these securities, there are NO prices at all, just the security name. However, the entered price IS used to update the default Portfolio report, so it is going somewhere ?
Does not seem to be specific to any particular exchange.

BRgds/Alan
On 19 Mar 2019, 23:05 +0800, Bucky Carr <[hidden email]>, wrote:

> Forgot to mention. For the Online Price update, I switched from
> Alphavantage to Yahoo_JSON and it seems to be working fine.
>

> On 3/19/2019 8:47 AM, Alan Taylor wrote:
> > And of course the Online Price update does not work, I have updated Perl etc. as per the WIKI.

Re: [GNC] Unable to add prices to some securities

What OS are you on?

I think on Windows you have to install SQLite or MySQL separately. MacOS comes with SQLite and I think (don’t remember) most Linux distributions do as well. MySQL has to be installed separately for both MacOS and some Linux distributions, a few come with it already and some substitute MariaDB. (older versions of OS X, 10.6 at least, used to come with MySQL, but they moved that to a separate installation some years ago.)

The are no other options in the drop down because those database drivers are not installed on the machine.

> On Mar 19, 2019, at 11:58 PM, Alan Taylor <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> More things not working properly …
> In the Save As dialogue there is no way to select sql - click on the displayed xml does not reveal any other possibilities
> Also the price editor dialogue does not allow selection of a namespace. There should be several, but it displays “All non-currency” with no other selections possible.
>
> Tried a reinstallation (3.4), no change.
>
> BRgds/Alan

Re: [GNC] Unable to add prices to some securities

Alan Taylor
It is the latest MacOS.
Apologies, I should have said MySQL Lite ... this is included with GnuCash I thought ?
It was an option previously ...

BRgds/Alan
On Mar 20, 2019, 13:18 +0800, Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]>, wrote:

> What OS are you on?
>
> I think on Windows you have to install SQLite or MySQL separately. MacOS comes with SQLite and I think (don’t remember) most Linux distributions do as well. MySQL has to be installed separately for both MacOS and some Linux distributions, a few come with it already and some substitute MariaDB. (older versions of OS X, 10.6 at least, used to come with MySQL, but they moved that to a separate installation some years ago.)
>
> The are no other options in the drop down because those database drivers are not installed on the machine.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
>
> > On Mar 19, 2019, at 11:58 PM, Alan Taylor <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > More things not working properly …
> > In the Save As dialogue there is no way to select sql - click on the displayed xml does not reveal any other possibilities
> > Also the price editor dialogue does not allow selection of a namespace. There should be several, but it displays “All non-currency” with no other selections possible.
> >
> > Tried a reinstallation (3.4), no change.
> >
> > BRgds/Alan

Re: [GNC] sqlite backend unavailable on MacOS in Save-As dialogue (was: Unable to add prices to some securities)

Adrien Monteleone-2
There is MySQL, and there is SQLite - 2 different things.

Yes, MacOS comes with SQLite, and the Mac version of GnuCash includes that backend as well.

It should be available to use.

Perhaps one of the developers can chime in with some troubleshooting tips...

Note, in the future, when you have an additional problem or question that isn’t part of the current thread, please start a new e-mail topic, I’ve renamed this one for you.

> On Mar 20, 2019, at 12:27 AM, Alan Taylor <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> It is the latest MacOS.
> Apologies, I should have said MySQL Lite ... this is included with GnuCash I thought ?
> It was an option previously ...
>
> BRgds/Alan
> On Mar 20, 2019, 13:18 +0800, Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]>, wrote:
>> What OS are you on?
>>
>> I think on Windows you have to install SQLite or MySQL separately. MacOS comes with SQLite and I think (don’t remember) most Linux distributions do as well. MySQL has to be installed separately for both MacOS and some Linux distributions, a few come with it already and some substitute MariaDB. (older versions of OS X, 10.6 at least, used to come with MySQL, but they moved that to a separate installation some years ago.)
>>
>> The are no other options in the drop down because those database drivers are not installed on the machine.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Adrien
>>
>>> On Mar 19, 2019, at 11:58 PM, Alan Taylor <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> More things not working properly …
>>> In the Save As dialogue there is no way to select sql - click on the displayed xml does not reveal any other possibilities
>>> Also the price editor dialogue does not allow selection of a namespace. There should be several, but it displays “All non-currency” with no other selections possible.
>>>
>>> Tried a reinstallation (3.4), no change.
>>>
>>> BRgds/Alan

Re: [GNC] Unable to add prices to some securities

Do you have more than one monitor? If so, make sure that GnuCash is on the main one--the one that has the "Arrangement" tab in System Preferences>Displays.

> On Mar 19, 2019, at 9:58 PM, Alan Taylor <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> More things not working properly …
> In the Save As dialogue there is no way to select sql - click on the displayed xml does not reveal any other possibilities
> Also the price editor dialogue does not allow selection of a namespace. There should be several, but it displays “All non-currency” with no other selections possible.
>
> Tried a reinstallation (3.4), no change.
>
> BRgds/Alan
>

> BRgds/Alan
> On 19 Mar 2019, 23:05 +0800, Bucky Carr <[hidden email]>, wrote:
>>
>> Forgot to mention. For the Online Price update, I switched from
>> Alphavantage to Yahoo_JSON and it seems to be working fine.
>>

>> On 3/19/2019 8:47 AM, Alan Taylor wrote:
>>> And of course the Online Price update does not work, I have updated Perl etc. as per the WIKI.

Re: [GNC] Unable to add prices to some securities

Alan Taylor
Wow … thank you John !
That was it for the input interface problems. It solved the selection problems for "Save As” (all databases now available) and the Namespace issues when manually adding the stock price.
Do you know why ? I cannot guess how a second monitor would do that ?

Brgds/Alan
On 20 Mar 2019, 21:48 +0800, John Ralls <[hidden email]>, wrote:

> Do you have more than one monitor? If so, make sure that GnuCash is on the main one--the one that has the "Arrangement" tab in System Preferences>Displays.

> > On Mar 19, 2019, at 9:58 PM, Alan Taylor <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > More things not working properly …
> > In the Save As dialogue there is no way to select sql - click on the displayed xml does not reveal any other possibilities
> > Also the price editor dialogue does not allow selection of a namespace. There should be several, but it displays “All non-currency” with no other selections possible.
> >
> > Tried a reinstallation (3.4), no change.
> >
> > BRgds/Alan
> >

> > BRgds/Alan
> > On 19 Mar 2019, 23:05 +0800, Bucky Carr <[hidden email]>, wrote:
> > >
> > > Forgot to mention. For the Online Price update, I switched from
> > > Alphavantage to Yahoo_JSON and it seems to be working fine.

Re: [GNC] Unable to add prices to some securities

John Ralls
Alan,

Yeah, a bunch of Gtk problems on Macs--some of them my fault from an update I did last fall. I've been working on fixing them for the last month, so 3.5 should be *much* better.

> On Mar 20, 2019, at 6:18 PM, Alan Taylor <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Wow … thank you John !
> That was it for the input interface problems. It solved the selection problems for "Save As” (all databases now available) and the Namespace issues when manually adding the stock price.
> Do you know why ? I cannot guess how a second monitor would do that ?
>
> Brgds/Alan
> On 20 Mar 2019, 21:48 +0800, John Ralls <[hidden email]>, wrote:
>> Do you have more than one monitor? If so, make sure that GnuCash is on the main one--the one that has the "Arrangement" tab in System Preferences>Displays.
>>
>> Regards,
>> John Ralls
>>
>>> On Mar 19, 2019, at 9:58 PM, Alan Taylor <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> More things not working properly …
>>> In the Save As dialogue there is no way to select sql - click on the displayed xml does not reveal any other possibilities
>>> Also the price editor dialogue does not allow selection of a namespace. There should be several, but it displays “All non-currency” with no other selections possible.
>>>
>>> Tried a reinstallation (3.4), no change.
>>>
>>> BRgds/Alan
>>>

>>> BRgds/Alan

Re: [GNC] Unable to add prices to some securities

Alan Taylor
Ah ok … well thank you for your work on a great program.

Without wanting to start any flame wars, can I ask for your opinion ?
I have been using GnuCash for a long time, 10 years+ and it is an important program for me.
I could run it on Linux, MacOS or Windows - given the choice of all three which would you recommend as the best host, purely for GnuCash ?

Brgds/Alan
On 21 Mar 2019, 11:05 +0800, John Ralls <[hidden email]>, wrote:

> Alan,
>
> Yeah, a bunch of Gtk problems on Macs--some of them my fault from an update I did last fall. I've been working on fixing them for the last month, so 3.5 should be *much* better.

> > On Mar 20, 2019, at 6:18 PM, Alan Taylor <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Wow … thank you John !
> > That was it for the input interface problems. It solved the selection problems for "Save As” (all databases now available) and the Namespace issues when manually adding the stock price.
> > Do you know why ? I cannot guess how a second monitor would do that ?
> >
> > Brgds/Alan
> > On 20 Mar 2019, 21:48 +0800, John Ralls <[hidden email]>, wrote:
> > > Do you have more than one monitor? If so, make sure that GnuCash is on the main one--the one that has the "Arrangement" tab in System Preferences>Displays.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > John Ralls

Re: [GNC] Unable to add prices to some securities

John Ralls
For what set of criteria, weighted and evaluated how?

> On Mar 20, 2019, at 8:10 PM, Alan Taylor <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Ah ok … well thank you for your work on a great program.
>
> Without wanting to start any flame wars, can I ask for your opinion ?
> I have been using GnuCash for a long time, 10 years+ and it is an important program for me.
> I could run it on Linux, MacOS or Windows - given the choice of all three which would you recommend as the best host, purely for GnuCash ?
>
> Brgds/Alan
> On 21 Mar 2019, 11:05 +0800, John Ralls <[hidden email]>, wrote:
>> Alan,
>>
>> Yeah, a bunch of Gtk problems on Macs--some of them my fault from an update I did last fall. I've been working on fixing them for the last month, so 3.5 should be *much* better.
>>
>> Regards,
>> John Ralls
>>

>>> On Mar 20, 2019, at 6:18 PM, Alan Taylor <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Wow … thank you John !
>>> That was it for the input interface problems. It solved the selection problems for "Save As” (all databases now available) and the Namespace issues when manually adding the stock price.
>>> Do you know why ? I cannot guess how a second monitor would do that ?
>>>
>>> Brgds/Alan

Re: [GNC] Unable to add prices to some securities

Derek Atkins-3
Alan,

Alan Taylor <[hidden email]> writes:

> Ah ok … well thank you for your work on a great program.
>
> Without wanting to start any flame wars, can I ask for your opinion ?
> I have been using GnuCash for a long time, 10 years+ and it is an
> important program for me.
> I could run it on Linux, MacOS or Windows - given the choice of all
> three which would you recommend as the best host, purely for GnuCash ?

In my opinion (humble or otherwise), I feel that Linux is #1, then
MacOS, and then Windows.  Windows is by far a second-class citizen; none
of the developers actually do main development on Windows, whereas John
DOES do main development on Mac.  Most devs still use Linux.

Of course, just my $0.02, so YMMV.

> Brgds/Alan

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745

Re: [GNC] Unable to add prices to some securities

Alan Taylor
John,

Basically reliability, accuracy and trouble free operation. Not the OS
itself, but GnuCash when running on the OS.

Rightly or wrongly i have the feeling that development time is not
necessary divided equally among the 3 versions ? Nothing wrong with that,
it’s just I don’t particularly care about the OS so if GnuCash has fewer
problems on a particular OS, then i’ll use that one !

Resource use not a factor.

Cheers/Ala

On Thu, 21 Mar 2019 at 21:56, John Ralls <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> For what set of criteria, weighted and evaluated how?

> > On Mar 20, 2019, at 8:10 PM, Alan Taylor <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Ah ok … well thank you for your work on a great program.
> >
> > Without wanting to start any flame wars, can I ask for your opinion ?
> > I have been using GnuCash for a long time, 10 years+ and it is an
> important program for me.
> > I could run it on Linux, MacOS or Windows - given the choice of all
> three which would you recommend as the best host, purely for GnuCash ?
> >
> > Brgds/Alan
> > On 21 Mar 2019, 11:05 +0800, John Ralls <[hidden email]>,
> wrote:
> >> Alan,
> >>
> >> Yeah, a bunch of Gtk problems on Macs--some of them my fault from an
> update I did last fall. I've been working on fixing them for the last
> month, so 3.5 should be *much* better.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> John Ralls

> problems for "Save As” (all databases now available) and the Namespace
> issues when manually adding the stock price.

> on the main one--the one that has the "Arrangement" tab in System
> Preferences>Displays.

> displayed xml does not reveal any other possibilities
> namespace. There should be several, but it displays “All non-currency” with
> no other selections possible.

> updated Perl etc. as per the WIKI.

Re: [GNC] Unable to add prices to some securities

Alan,

I’m in agreement with Derek here. Since GnuCash is written using the GTK toolkit, which is not native to either Windows or Mac, Linux is the top choice. While I use GnuCash daily on Mac, there are a few (though easily worked-around) hiccups, such as with multi-monitor setups, application tabs, etc.

The only drawback to Linux is if you aren’t comfortable with building from source *and* you always want the latest version without upgrading your OS. Many distros keep a fixed version in their repository and newer versions usually don’t get backported. So if you want a newer version, you’ll have to build it. (usually a not very painful process, but this varies by system and distro choice) New versions of GnuCash for Windows and Mac are always just a download and click away. One of the devs is working on maintaining a flatpak image from here on out, so that should address this case, but it too comes with some caveats due to the sandboxed nature of flatpak apps. (external and network drive access need special attention, and report printing is limited to first printing to file) One user was kind enough to build a .deb backport of 3.4 to Ubuntu 18.04 and you can find the links for it in the list archives. Perhaps he might do this for 3.5 when it is released as well.

Hope that helps with your decision.