[GNC] Ubuntu PPA

ticotexas
When will 3.3 come to ppa:sicklylife? Building from the download doesn't
work for me using the directions.

Re: [GNC] Ubuntu PPA

Colin Law
On Tue, 2 Oct 2018 at 18:50, Tim Kallmer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> When will 3.3 come to ppa:sicklylife? Building from the download doesn't
> work for me using the directions.

Which OS, which directions and what went wrong?

Colin

Re: [GNC] Ubuntu PPA

When 3.3 is available in a ppa will depend upon the maintainers for that ppa
not the GnuCash developers.

Did you follow https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Building_On_Linux when
attempting to build on Ubuntu? You will have to follow all the steps and
install all the dependencies. The instructions there were developed on Linux
Mint which is a Ubuntu 18.04 derivative and are basically unchanged from
14.04 through to 18.04 apart from changes to the dependencies. The trickiest
part is usually the relative addressing of the gnucash source directories
from the build directory using cmake. That can be avoided by using an
absolute path to the gnucash source directory in the cmake command.

Give it a go and come back to the forum with the problems you are
experiencing along with the specific command sequence you used and we should
be able to help you get it up and running.

Re: [GNC] Ubuntu PPA

Plutocrat
>From: Tim Kallmer <[hidden email]>
>Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2018 12:47:49 -0500
>To: Gnucash Users <[hidden email]>
>
>When will 3.3 come to ppa:sicklylife? Building from the download doesn't work for me using the directions.

I wasn't aware of that repository. Good find. Usually you have to wait a week or two (or longer!) for a repository to get around to publishing an upgrade, as these repos are generally run by hobbyists.

However ... its seems sicklylife is on his/her toes!

https://launchpad.net/~sicklylife/+archive/ubuntu/gnucash

Re: [GNC] Ubuntu PPA

Adrien Monteleone-2
Do note that (so far) that PPA is only offering 3.3 for Bionic 18.04. If anyone is running an older version of Ubuntu, you’ll need to build it.

> On Oct 4, 2018, at 12:26 AM, Plutocrat <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> From: Tim Kallmer <[hidden email]>
>> Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2018 12:47:49 -0500
>> To: Gnucash Users <[hidden email]>
>>
>> When will 3.3 come to ppa:sicklylife? Building from the download doesn't work for me using the directions.
>
> I wasn't aware of that repository. Good find. Usually you have to wait a week or two (or longer!) for a repository to get around to publishing an upgrade, as these repos are generally run by hobbyists.
>
> However ... its seems sicklylife is on his/her toes!
>
> https://launchpad.net/~sicklylife/+archive/ubuntu/gnucash

Re: [GNC] Ubuntu PPA

Ronal B Morse-2
FWIW, appears to work fine on Mint 19 (which is a very close
relative of Ubuntu 18.04).

RBM

On Thu, 2018-10-04 at 10:01 -0500, Adrien Monteleone wrote:

> Do note that (so far) that PPA is only offering 3.3 for
> Bionic 18.04. If anyone is running an older version of
> Ubuntu, you’ll need to build it.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
>
> > On Oct 4, 2018, at 12:26 AM, Plutocrat <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > From: Tim Kallmer <[hidden email]>
> > > Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2018 12:47:49 -0500
> > > To: Gnucash Users <[hidden email]>
> > >
> > > When will 3.3 come to ppa:sicklylife? Building from
> > > the download doesn't work for me using the directions.
> >
> > I wasn't aware of that repository. Good find. Usually
> > you have to wait a week or two (or longer!) for a
> > repository to get around to publishing an upgrade, as
> > these repos are generally run by hobbyists.
> >
> > However ... its seems sicklylife is on his/her toes!

https://launchpad.net/~sicklylife/+archive/ubuntu/gnucash

> > https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more
> > information.

> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more
> information.

Re: [GNC] Ubuntu PPA

Colin Law
How does one know whether one can trust a ppa such as this?

Colin

On Thu, 4 Oct 2018 at 06:29, Plutocrat <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >From: Tim Kallmer <[hidden email]>
> >Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2018 12:47:49 -0500
> >To: Gnucash Users <[hidden email]>
> >
> >When will 3.3 come to ppa:sicklylife? Building from the download doesn't
> work for me using the directions.
>
> I wasn't aware of that repository. Good find. Usually you have to wait a
> week or two (or longer!) for a repository to get around to publishing an
> upgrade, as these repos are generally run by hobbyists.
>
> However ... its seems sicklylife is on his/her toes!
>
> https://launchpad.net/~sicklylife/+archive/ubuntu/gnucash

Re: [GNC] Ubuntu PPA

Ronal B Morse-2
It's a fair question, but when you're desperate...

I looked at his page (?) on Canonical's launchpad site and
saw that's he's been registered for almost two years. He has
been active (or at least involved) with several different
packages, mostly Japanese language related issues. Not a lot
of information about him, but it provides links to his blog
and website and all that looks legit. It's something. He
recommends GnuCash.

He's signed Ubuntu's code of conduct, so he must be a good
guy, right?

As is my usual practice when installing software from
outside distro repositories, I made a full image backup of
the system and other local partitions (clonezilla) and
isolated the target machine from the local LAN before
installing and during initial testing. I probably should not
have used a copy of my live data file...I'll remember to use
a dummy in the future.

Still, it's a good question. Others who are tempted to try
this might consider giving time for early adopters to soak
up any arrows this thing may launch and monitor the usual
places for problem reports.

Ron Morse

https://launchpad.net/~sicklylife/+archive/ubuntu/testing/+sourcepub/9463135/+listing-archive-extra

> > -------
> > https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more
> > information.

> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more
> information.

Re: [GNC] Ubuntu PPA

David Cousens

Ronal,

By the time you do all that are you sure its not easier just to build it
from scratch.It takes me about 2-3 min after downloading the tarball

Davdi

Re: [GNC] Ubuntu PPA

Ronal B Morse-2
I have no idea, David.  I wasted tons of time trying to
build the 3 series on my production Ubuntu machine before I
figured out what I was doing wrong so I'm the wrong guy to
ask.

Shussing out the .ppa was a couple of clicks and the backups
are normal maintenance.

Ron Morse

On Thu, 2018-10-04 at 18:19 -0500, David Cousens wrote:

> Ronal,
>
> By the time you do all that are you sure its not easier
> just to build it
> from scratch.It takes me about 2-3 min after downloading
> the tarball
>
> Davdi
>

> -----
> David Cousens
> --
> Sent from:
> http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-User-f1415819.html
> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more
> information.

Re: [GNC] Ubuntu PPA

Ronal B Morse-2
And, for all that I just noticed the .ppa delivers Gnucash
3.2, which makes sense, but someone looking for 3.3 is stillgonna have to wait.

Ron Morse

On Thu, 2018-10-04 at 18:19 -0500, David Cousens wrote:

> Ronal
>
> By the time you do all that are you sure its not easier
> just to build it
> from scratch.It takes me about 2-3 min after downloading
> the tarball
>
> Davdi
>

> -----
> David Cousens
> --
> Sent from:
> http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-User-f1415819.html
> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more
> information.

Re: [GNC] Ubuntu PPA

Les Elliott
In my case, I installed Linux Mint 19 on an older Dell laptop, and
installed the ppa version 3.3.1 on it.

All appeared to be goodc except there ware no totals on multiple
accounts: (Investments, various stock account, etc.) which all were
populated on GC 2.6.17.  Not sure what the problem is but it certainly
does not work for me.

Regards,

Les

On 10/04/2018 01:27 PM, Ronal B Morse wrote:

> FWIW, appears to work fine on Mint 19 (which is a very close
> relative of Ubuntu 18.04).
>
> RBM
>
> On Thu, 2018-10-04 at 10:01 -0500, Adrien Monteleone wrote:
>> Do note that (so far) that PPA is only offering 3.3 for
>> Bionic 18.04. If anyone is running an older version of
>> Ubuntu, you’ll need to build it.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Adrien

>>> I wasn't aware of that repository. Good find. Usually
>>> you have to wait a week or two (or longer!) for a
>>> repository to get around to publishing an upgrade, as
>>> these repos are generally run by hobbyists.
>>>
>>> However ... its seems sicklylife is on his/her toes!
>>>

> https://launchpad.net/~sicklylife/+archive/ubuntu/gnucash
>>> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more
>>> information.
>>> -----

>> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more
>> information.

Re: [GNC] Ubuntu PPA

Tommy Trussell
On Thu, Oct 4, 2018 at 9:14 PM Les <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In my case, I installed Linux Mint 19 on an older Dell laptop, and
> installed the ppa version 3.3.1 on it.
>
> All appeared to be goodc except there ware no totals on multiple
> accounts: (Investments, various stock account, etc.) which all were
> populated on GC 2.6.17.  Not sure what the problem is but it certainly
> does not work for me.
>
> Regards,
>
> Les

Are you saying the totals do not appear in the accounts screen, or in the
registers, or that the reports do not work?

These would have different solutions.

Re: [GNC] Ubuntu PPA

Les Elliott
Hi Tommy:

There were no totals on the main account screen.

Les

On 10/05/2018 08:50 AM, Tommy Trussell wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 4, 2018 at 9:14 PM Les <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     In my case, I installed Linux Mint 19 on an older Dell laptop, and
>     installed the ppa version 3.3.1 on it.
>
>     All appeared to be goodc except there ware no totals on multiple
>     accounts: (Investments, various stock account, etc.) which all were
>     populated on GC 2.6.17.  Not sure what the problem is but it
>     certainly
>     does not work for me.
>
>     Regards,
>
>     Les
>

> Are you saying the totals do not appear in the accounts screen, or in
> the registers, or that the reports do not work?
>
> These would have different solutions.
>
>     -----
>     Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>     You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

Re: [GNC] Ubuntu PPA

Frank H. Ellenberger-3

Am 05.10.18 um 17:24 schrieb Les:
> Hi Tommy:
>
> There were no totals on the main account screen.
>
> Les

as columns
  use the arrow-down at the right end of the column header

or in the summay bar?
  1. View tick Summary Bar
  2. Edit->Preferences->Accounting Period: adjust Group Summary Bar
  3. use the arrow-down right in the summay bar.

OK, nobody would expect the prefs in Accounting Period. File a bug.

HTH
Frank

Re: [GNC] Ubuntu PPA

Les Elliott

On 10/05/2018 12:35 PM, Frank H. Ellenberger wrote:

> Am 05.10.18 um 17:24 schrieb Les:
>> Hi Tommy:
>>
>> There were no totals on the main account screen.
>>
>> Les
> as columns
>    use the arrow-down at the right end of the column header
>
> or in the summay bar?
>    1. View tick Summary Bar
>    2. Edit->Preferences->Accounting Period: adjust Group Summary Bar
>    3. use the arrow-down right in the summay bar.
>
> OK, nobody would expect the prefs in Accounting Period. File a bug.
>
> HTH
> Frank

Frank:
To be specific, only the following accounts have this issue:
I used Total and Total USD for each account.
The following accounts have this problem
Accounts
Current Accounts
Investments
A Stock Brokerage Account
The Stock Category
The stock category is further broken down by currency:
Under these categories I have current totals, but no Total USD

Every  other account is "normal"

Re: [GNC] Ubuntu PPA

Frank H. Ellenberger-3
Hi Les,

Am 05.10.18 um 21:36 schrieb Les:

> On 10/05/2018 12:35 PM, Frank H. Ellenberger wrote:
>>
>> Am 05.10.18 um 17:24 schrieb Les:
>>> Hi Tommy:
>>>
>>> There were no totals on the main account screen.
>>>
>>> Les
>> as columns
>>    use the arrow-down at the right end of the column header
>>
>> or in the summay bar?
>>    1. View tick Summary Bar
>>    2. Edit->Preferences->Accounting Period: adjust Group Summary Bar
>>    3. use the arrow-down right in the summay bar.
>>
>> OK, nobody would expect the prefs in Accounting Period. File a bug.
>>
>> HTH
>> Frank
>>
> Frank:
> To be specific, only the following accounts have this issue:
> I used Total and Total USD for each account.
> The following accounts have this problem
> Accounts
> Current Accounts
> Investments
> A Stock Brokerage Account
> The Stock Category
> The stock category is further broken down by currency:
> Under these categories I have current totals, but no Total USD
>
> Every  other account is "normal"

that sounds like a missing exchange rate in your stocks.

~Frank

Re: [GNC] Ubuntu PPA

Les Elliott

On 10/05/2018 03:33 PM, Frank H. Ellenberger wrote:

> Hi Les,
>
> Am 05.10.18 um 21:36 schrieb Les:

>>> as columns
>>>     use the arrow-down at the right end of the column header
>>>
>>> or in the summay bar?
>>>     1. View tick Summary Bar
>>>     2. Edit->Preferences->Accounting Period: adjust Group Summary Bar
>>>     3. use the arrow-down right in the summay bar.
>>>
>>> OK, nobody would expect the prefs in Accounting Period. File a bug.
>>>
>>> HTH
>>> Frank
>>>
>> Frank:
>> To be specific, only the following accounts have this issue:
>> I used Total and Total USD for each account.
>> The following accounts have this problem
>> Accounts
>> Current Accounts
>> Investments
>> A Stock Brokerage Account
>> The Stock Category
>> The stock category is further broken down by currency:
>> Under these categories I have current totals, but no Total USD
>>
>> Every  other account is "normal"
> that sounds like a missing exchange rate in your stocks.
>
> ~Frank

I took the latest GC file from my other laptop and used it to load GC.
The one I took the file from does not have this problem.  (It is running
GC 2.16.17 on a Linux Mint 18.2.  The one in question is running Linux
Mint 19 with and of course GC 3.3.1.
I am at a complete loss.