[GNC] Ubuntu 18.04

stevecoh2@gmail.com
Recently, I upgraded my system to Ubuntu 18.04 (from 14.04).  I had
built Gnucash 3.0 on 14.04.  I'm trying now on 18.04 and am in
dependency hell.

The latest issue is
--   No package 'gwenhywfar' found

This is NOT listed on
https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/blob/master/README.dependencies

Is there some sort of document or recipe for getting gnucash to build on
18.04?  If not, how may I go about building this?

Re: [GNC] Ubuntu 18.04

John Ralls-2

> On Jun 10, 2018, at 8:31 PM, Steve Cohen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Recently, I upgraded my system to Ubuntu 18.04 (from 14.04).  I had built Gnucash 3.0 on 14.04.  I'm trying now on 18.04 and am in dependency hell.
>
> The latest issue is
> --   No package 'gwenhywfar' found
>
> This is NOT listed on https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/blob/master/README.dependencies
>
> Is there some sort of document or recipe for getting gnucash to build on 18.04?  If not, how may I go about building this?

Gwenhywfar is part of AQBanking. The package is called libgwenhywfar60-dev.

Re: [GNC] Ubuntu 18.04

Dennis Powless
I had same issue, also I don’t use AQ banking.  I set the parameter to turn off on build.  Worked fine after that.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 11, 2018, at 12:37 AM, John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On Jun 10, 2018, at 8:31 PM, Steve Cohen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Recently, I upgraded my system to Ubuntu 18.04 (from 14.04).  I had built Gnucash 3.0 on 14.04.  I'm trying now on 18.04 and am in dependency hell.
>>
>> The latest issue is
>> --   No package 'gwenhywfar' found
>>
>> This is NOT listed on https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/blob/master/README.dependencies
>>
>> Is there some sort of document or recipe for getting gnucash to build on 18.04?  If not, how may I go about building this?
>

> Gwenhywfar is part of AQBanking. The package is called libgwenhywfar60-dev.

Re: [GNC] Ubuntu 18.04

stevecoh2@gmail.com
Thanks, John.  Now I'm stuck on aqbanking.  I haven't yet been able to
get this to work properly previously, but I haven't given up so I'd like
to have it installed.

Is there some site you can go to that gives the name of the ubuntu
packages to install in order to have these libraries and headers
available?  I'd rather not have to bug the list about each one.

On 06/10/2018 11:37 PM, John Ralls wrote:

>> On Jun 10, 2018, at 8:31 PM, Steve Cohen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Recently, I upgraded my system to Ubuntu 18.04 (from 14.04).  I had built Gnucash 3.0 on 14.04.  I'm trying now on 18.04 and am in dependency hell.
>>
>> The latest issue is
>> --   No package 'gwenhywfar' found
>>
>> This is NOT listed on https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/blob/master/README.dependencies
>>
>> Is there some sort of document or recipe for getting gnucash to build on 18.04?  If not, how may I go about building this?
>

> Gwenhywfar is part of AQBanking. The package is called libgwenhywfar60-dev.

Re: [GNC] Ubuntu 18.04

stevecoh2@gmail.com
Got over aqbanking, found apt-cache search and found several libraries I
needed that way.  Now, though, I am stuck as follows:

$ export SRCROOT=/home/scohen/github;cmake
-DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/local/gnucash $SRCROOT/gnucash
-- Using guile-2.2.x
-- Using guile SRFI-64
-- Checking for GTEST
-- Checking for GMOCK
CMake Error at common/cmake_modules/GncAddTest.cmake:175 (message):
   GMOCK not found.  Please install it or set GMOCK_ROOT
Call Stack (most recent call first):
   CMakeLists.txt:601 (gnc_gtest_configure)

GMOCK, I learned from apt-cache is installed from cmake-extras, but I
have installed that, so not sure what the answer here is.  I've struck
out on gmock, gmock-dev, googlemock, googlemock-dev, GMOCK, GMOCK-dev

On 06/11/2018 10:58 AM, Steve Cohen wrote:

> Thanks, John.  Now I'm stuck on aqbanking.  I haven't yet been able to
> get this to work properly previously, but I haven't given up so I'd like
> to have it installed.
>
> Is there some site you can go to that gives the name of the ubuntu
> packages to install in order to have these libraries and headers
> available?  I'd rather not have to bug the list about each one.
>

> On 06/10/2018 11:37 PM, John Ralls wrote:
>>

>>> On Jun 10, 2018, at 8:31 PM, Steve Cohen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Recently, I upgraded my system to Ubuntu 18.04 (from 14.04).  I had
>>> built Gnucash 3.0 on 14.04.  I'm trying now on 18.04 and am in
>>> dependency hell.
>>>
>>> The latest issue is
>>> --   No package 'gwenhywfar' found
>>>
>>> This is NOT listed on
>>> https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/blob/master/README.dependencies
>>>
>>> Is there some sort of document or recipe for getting gnucash to build
>>> on 18.04?  If not, how may I go about building this?
>>

>> Gwenhywfar is part of AQBanking. The package is called
>> libgwenhywfar60-dev.
>>
>> Regards,
>> John Ralls

Re: [GNC] Ubuntu 18.04

stevecoh2@gmail.com
Solved.

the ubuntu package name is google-mock

On 06/11/2018 11:26 AM, Steve Cohen wrote:

> Got over aqbanking, found apt-cache search and found several libraries I
> needed that way.  Now, though, I am stuck as follows:
>
> $ export SRCROOT=/home/scohen/github;cmake
> -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/local/gnucash $SRCROOT/gnucash
> -- Using guile-2.2.x
> -- Using guile SRFI-64
> -- Checking for GTEST
> -- Checking for GMOCK
> CMake Error at common/cmake_modules/GncAddTest.cmake:175 (message):
>    GMOCK not found.  Please install it or set GMOCK_ROOT
> Call Stack (most recent call first):
>    CMakeLists.txt:601 (gnc_gtest_configure)

> GMOCK, I learned from apt-cache is installed from cmake-extras, but I
> have installed that, so not sure what the answer here is.  I've struck
> out on gmock, gmock-dev, googlemock, googlemock-dev, GMOCK, GMOCK-dev
>

> On 06/11/2018 10:58 AM, Steve Cohen wrote:
>> Thanks, John.  Now I'm stuck on aqbanking.  I haven't yet been able to
>> get this to work properly previously, but I haven't given up so I'd
>> like to have it installed.
>>
>> Is there some site you can go to that gives the name of the ubuntu
>> packages to install in order to have these libraries and headers
>> available?  I'd rather not have to bug the list about each one.

>>> Gwenhywfar is part of AQBanking. The package is called
>>> libgwenhywfar60-dev.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> John Ralls

Re: [GNC] Ubuntu 18.04

Geert Janssens-4
Op maandag 11 juni 2018 19:19:58 CEST schreef Steve Cohen:
> Solved.
>
> the ubuntu package name is google-mock

I'm glad you solved it.

If you think more documentation is needed, feel free update the build
instructions in the wiki
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Building#Ubuntu

Re: [GNC] Ubuntu 18.04

DaveC49
Hi Geert,

I think one of the reasons people are not finding the Build#Ubuntu
instructions and main build instructions in the wiki is that the main page
is identified as Build Instructions for Developers rather than a general
GnuCash Build Instructions page which gets listed in the top level directory
of the wiki. I noted this when i rewrote the Build#Ubuntu page recently and
have been meaning to attempt a reorganisation with a general Build
Instructions page with breakouts for the various OS andLinux distributions
and then perhaps link a page specifically for developers build instructions.
The move from make to CMake has meant that the developer's build
instructions are possibly more relevant as general build instructions. I
will try and get that done asap. Perhaps if we can link to that info in the
Wiki from the documentation and or Gnucash webpage it will make it easier
for people to access. That can be difficult as the wiki tends to be a bit
free form and specific pages may come and go but a link to the wiki main
page with a note that more information is available on builds in the wiki
might help.

Re: [GNC] Ubuntu 18.04

ChrisGood
> Message: 16
> Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2018 10:58:30 -0500
> From: Steve Cohen <[hidden email]>
> To: John Ralls <[hidden email]>
> Cc: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [GNC] Ubuntu 18.04
>
> Thanks, John.  Now I'm stuck on aqbanking.  I haven't yet been able to
> get this to work properly previously, but I haven't given up so I'd like
> to have it installed.
>
> Is there some site you can go to that gives the name of the ubuntu
> packages to install in order to have these libraries and headers
> available?  I'd rather not have to bug the list about each one.
>

> On 06/10/2018 11:37 PM, John Ralls wrote:
> >

> >> On Jun 10, 2018, at 8:31 PM, Steve Cohen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Recently, I upgraded my system to Ubuntu 18.04 (from 14.04).  I had
built
> Gnucash 3.0 on 14.04.  I'm trying now on 18.04 and am in dependency hell.
> >>
> >> The latest issue is
> >> --   No package 'gwenhywfar' found
> >>
> >> This is NOT listed on
> https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/blob/master/README.dependencies
> >>
> >> Is there some sort of document or recipe for getting gnucash to build
on
> 18.04?  If not, how may I go about building this?
> >

> > Gwenhywfar is part of AQBanking. The package is called libgwenhywfar60-
> dev.
> >
> > Regards,
> > John Ralls

Hi Steve,

This is all laid out for you at:
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Building
leads you to
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/BuildUbuntu16.04

You can search for packages at
https://packages.ubuntu.com/

Regards, Chris Good

Re: [GNC] Ubuntu 18.04

David,

The main wiki page has limited edit access, but https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Installation <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Installation> would be a good place to hook build instructions into.

David T.

> On Jun 12, 2018, at 3:19 AM, DaveC49 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Geert,
>
> I think one of the reasons people are not finding the Build#Ubuntu
> instructions and main build instructions in the wiki is that the main page
> is identified as Build Instructions for Developers rather than a general
> GnuCash Build Instructions page which gets listed in the top level directory
> of the wiki. I noted this when i rewrote the Build#Ubuntu page recently and
> have been meaning to attempt a reorganisation with a general Build
> Instructions page with breakouts for the various OS andLinux distributions
> and then perhaps link a page specifically for developers build instructions.
> The move from make to CMake has meant that the developer's build
> instructions are possibly more relevant as general build instructions. I
> will try and get that done asap. Perhaps if we can link to that info in the
> Wiki from the documentation and or Gnucash webpage it will make it easier
> for people to access. That can be difficult as the wiki tends to be a bit
> free form and specific pages may come and go but a link to the wiki main
> page with a note that more information is available on builds in the wiki
> might help.
>
> David Cousens
>

> -----
> David Cousens

Re: [GNC] Ubuntu 18.04

stevecoh2@gmail.com
Thanks.  This is just what I needed.  Somehow I managed to get something
done without it, which works, but I probably should install a few more
things.  Looks like I got all the headers needed to compile but
something may blow up if I actually try to invoke it.

One problem with 18.04:

OFX File importing

sudo apt-get install libofx6 libofx4 libofx-dev

$ sudo apt-get install libofx6 libofx4 libofx-dev
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package libofx6
E: Unable to locate package libofx4

What will this lack cause?

On 06/11/2018 06:47 PM, Chris Good wrote:

>> Message: 16
>> Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2018 10:58:30 -0500
>> From: Steve Cohen <[hidden email]>
>> To: John Ralls <[hidden email]>
>> Cc: [hidden email]
>> Subject: Re: [GNC] Ubuntu 18.04
>>
>> Thanks, John.  Now I'm stuck on aqbanking.  I haven't yet been able to
>> get this to work properly previously, but I haven't given up so I'd like
>> to have it installed.
>>
>> Is there some site you can go to that gives the name of the ubuntu
>> packages to install in order to have these libraries and headers
>> available?  I'd rather not have to bug the list about each one.

> built
>> Gnucash 3.0 on 14.04.  I'm trying now on 18.04 and am in dependency hell.

>> https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/blob/master/README.dependencies

> on
>> 18.04?  If not, how may I go about building this?
>>>

>>> Gwenhywfar is part of AQBanking. The package is called libgwenhywfar60-
>> dev.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> John Ralls
>
> Hi Steve,
>
> This is all laid out for you at:
> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Building
> leads you to
> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/BuildUbuntu16.04
>
> You can search for packages at
> https://packages.ubuntu.com/
>
> Regards, Chris Good

Re: [GNC] Ubuntu 18.04

Dennis Powless-2
I was able to get 2/3 by doing them one by one, at the moment I can't
recall which one I couldn't get.

However, I was able to build GC and import OFX files.

On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 2:59 PM, Steve Cohen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks.  This is just what I needed.  Somehow I managed to get something
> done without it, which works, but I probably should install a few more
> things.  Looks like I got all the headers needed to compile but something
> may blow up if I actually try to invoke it.
>
> One problem with 18.04:
>
> OFX File importing
>
> sudo apt-get install libofx6 libofx4 libofx-dev
>
> $ sudo apt-get install libofx6 libofx4 libofx-dev
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> E: Unable to locate package libofx6
> E: Unable to locate package libofx4
>
> What will this lack cause?
>

> On 06/11/2018 06:47 PM, Chris Good wrote:
>>>
>>> Message: 16
>>> Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2018 10:58:30 -0500
>>> From: Steve Cohen <[hidden email]>
>>> To: John Ralls <[hidden email]>
>>> Cc: [hidden email]
>>> Subject: Re: [GNC] Ubuntu 18.04
>>>
>>> Thanks, John.  Now I'm stuck on aqbanking.  I haven't yet been able to
>>> get this to work properly previously, but I haven't given up so I'd like
>>> to have it installed.
>>>
>>> Is there some site you can go to that gives the name of the ubuntu
>>> packages to install in order to have these libraries and headers
>>> available?  I'd rather not have to bug the list about each one.

>> built
>>>
>>> Gnucash 3.0 on 14.04.  I'm trying now on 18.04 and am in dependency hell.

>>> https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/blob/master/README.dependencies

>> on
>>>
>>> 18.04?  If not, how may I go about building this?

>>> dev.

>> Hi Steve,
>>
>> This is all laid out for you at:
>> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Building
>> leads you to
>> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/BuildUbuntu16.04
>>
>> You can search for packages at
>> https://packages.ubuntu.com/
>>
>> Regards, Chris Good

[GNC] Wiki:Installation/Building; was: Ubuntu 18.04

Frank H. Ellenberger-3
Hi all,

Am 12.06.2018 um 17:39 schrieb David T. via gnucash-user:
> David,
>
> The main wiki page has limited edit access,

that does not mean it is unalterable. For minor changes just add a note
to its talk page.

>but https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Installation <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Installation> would be a good place to hook build instructions into.

yes, much better., e.g.:
The latest released GnuCash version is {{Version}}. If you want a more
recent version than your distribution provides, see [[Building]].

We should also reformulate
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Building#Disclaimer, but

The current page covers only "Building from Git".
Do we want to decribe other methods, e.g. building from source tarball?
Are there more methods?
In the same page or others?

> David T.
>

>> On Jun 12, 2018, at 3:19 AM, DaveC49 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Geert,
>>
>> I think one of the reasons people are not finding the Build#Ubuntu
>> instructions and main build instructions in the wiki is that the main page
>> is identified as Build Instructions for Developers rather than a general
>> GnuCash Build Instructions page which gets listed in the top level directory
>> of the wiki.

Before the page was moved in the developer section and got the
disclaimer, we got many questions from normal users who had read
[[Building]] instead of [[Installation]]. (alphabethical order of pages)

>> I noted this when i rewrote the Build#Ubuntu page recently and
>> have been meaning to attempt a reorganisation with a general Build
>> Instructions page with breakouts for the various OS andLinux distributions
>> and then perhaps link a page specifically for developers build instructions.
>> The move from make to CMake has meant that the developer's build
>> instructions are possibly more relevant as general build instructions. I
>> will try and get that done asap. Perhaps if we can link to that info in the
>> Wiki from the documentation and or Gnucash webpage it will make it easier
>> for people to access. That can be difficult as the wiki tends to be a bit
>> free form and specific pages may come and go but a link to the wiki main
>> page with a note that more information is available on builds in the wiki
>> might help.
>>
>> David Cousens

~Frank

Re: [GNC] Wiki:Installation/Building; was: Ubuntu 18.04

DaveC49
Hi Frank & David T ,

Thanks for the info re the main page. I will try and hook into the Wiki
Installation page as you suggest and have a go at making the build
instructions friendlier for general users and split off a more specific page
for developer builds. i will then link that back to the pages on the maint
and master branches, pull requests etc for mods etc. It is possibly better
to leave the building from git with the developers pages. I'll  reformulate
a version of the disclaimer for the user build pages. It will possibly be
the weekend before I get to it unless insomnia strikes

Cheers

Op woensdag 13 juni 2018 02:40:25 CEST schreef DaveC49:

> Hi Frank & David T ,
>
> Thanks for the info re the main page. I will try and hook into the Wiki
> Installation page as you suggest and have a go at making the build
> instructions friendlier for general users and split off a more specific page
> for developer builds. i will then link that back to the pages on the maint
> and master branches, pull requests etc for mods etc. It is possibly better
> to leave the building from git with the developers pages. I'll  reformulate
> a version of the disclaimer for the user build pages. It will possibly be
> the weekend before I get to it unless insomnia strikes

Hi David C,

Thanks for looking into this.

It think the differences between a developer build (from git) or a release
build are limited only to getting the source tree set up.
For a git build that means cloning a repository and checking out the right git
branch, for a release build you untar the tarball.

Do you think this requires a separate page ?

Thinking some more, the dependencies may drift apart between the stable branch
('maint' in git and also used for generating release tarballs) and the
development branch ('master' in git). So at some point the two branches may
need different documentation on dependencies.

The only other difference I can think of is that you may or may not want the
build to include debug symbols. That is one different option to set while
running cmake. But this can be useful in both a user build or a developer
build.