[GNC] USING THE SAME GNUCASH FILE ON BOTH LINUX AND WINDOWS COMPUTERS

[GNC] USING THE SAME GNUCASH FILE ON BOTH LINUX AND WINDOWS COMPUTERS

info-1737
Greetings:

We have used gnucash on linux. While not experts, we think we can
accomplish what we need.

We want to use gnucash to maintain the financial records of a new
private foundation. The number of transactions will not be prohibitive.
We can restrict entries to one person at a time, no multiple incidents.
We would like to be able to put the main gnucash data files on a usb
drive and move the drive from linux computers to windows computers.
Gnucash will be loaded on all the computers.

Will we encounter problems with differences between the way a linux
gnucash interacts with the data and the way a windows gnucash interacts?
We can install exactly the same release on all computers (we are not
talking about more than 3 or 4 computers total.) This is for
convenience. If there is even the possibility of trouble, we will
restrict all entries to linux computers.

Thanks for your kind assistance.

Joel

Re: [GNC] USING THE SAME GNUCASH FILE ON BOTH LINUX AND WINDOWS COMPUTERS

Fross, Michael
I don't think you'll find any issues with your plan.  Linux and Windows
should interface the data file seamlessly without difference or issue.

There are differences in setting up GNUCash between platforms (Perl for
example if you plan on download quotes.)  But that is a program
configuration topic, not a data file topic.

Michael

On Tue, Jun 5, 2018 at 10:38 AM, Info <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Greetings:
>
> We have used gnucash on linux. While not experts, we think we can
> accomplish what we need.
>
> We want to use gnucash to maintain the financial records of a new private
> foundation. The number of transactions will not be prohibitive. We can
> restrict entries to one person at a time, no multiple incidents. We would
> like to be able to put the main gnucash data files on a usb drive and move
> the drive from linux computers to windows computers. Gnucash will be loaded
> on all the computers.
>
> Will we encounter problems with differences between the way a linux
> gnucash interacts with the data and the way a windows gnucash interacts? We
> can install exactly the same release on all computers (we are not talking
> about more than 3 or 4 computers total.) This is for convenience. If there
> is even the possibility of trouble, we will restrict all entries to linux
> computers.
>
> Thanks for your kind assistance.
>
> Joel

Re: [GNC] USING THE SAME GNUCASH FILE ON BOTH LINUX AND WINDOWS COMPUTERS

David Carlson-4
Program configuration is not to be ignored, but configuration on both
platforms can be matched to include the same reports, even custom reports
and other settings as outlined in the online documentation, primarily here <
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#GnuCash_Files_and_managing_a_GnuCash_installation
>.

David C

On Tue, Jun 5, 2018 at 10:45 AM, Fross, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't think you'll find any issues with your plan.  Linux and Windows
> should interface the data file seamlessly without difference or issue.
>
> There are differences in setting up GNUCash between platforms (Perl for
> example if you plan on download quotes.)  But that is a program
> configuration topic, not a data file topic.
>
> Michael
>
> On Tue, Jun 5, 2018 at 10:38 AM, Info <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Greetings:
> >
> > We have used gnucash on linux. While not experts, we think we can
> > accomplish what we need.
> >
> > We want to use gnucash to maintain the financial records of a new private
> > foundation. The number of transactions will not be prohibitive. We can
> > restrict entries to one person at a time, no multiple incidents. We would
> > like to be able to put the main gnucash data files on a usb drive and
> move
> > the drive from linux computers to windows computers. Gnucash will be
> loaded
> > on all the computers.
> >
> > Will we encounter problems with differences between the way a linux
> > gnucash interacts with the data and the way a windows gnucash interacts?
> We
> > can install exactly the same release on all computers (we are not talking
> > about more than 3 or 4 computers total.) This is for convenience. If
> there
> > is even the possibility of trouble, we will restrict all entries to linux
> > computers.
> >
> > Thanks for your kind assistance.
> >
> > Joel

> > https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.

Re: [GNC] USING THE SAME GNUCASH FILE ON BOTH LINUX AND WINDOWS COMPUTERS

Dennis Powless
You could use a cloud based storage service, with all computers linked, such as Dropbox.

You can have GC on as many computers as you see fit, each using the same GC data file.

That way you’re not depending on a usb drive that could get misplaced etc....

Dennis

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 5, 2018, at 6:03 PM, David Carlson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Program configuration is not to be ignored, but configuration on both
> platforms can be matched to include the same reports, even custom reports
> and other settings as outlined in the online documentation, primarily here <
> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#GnuCash_Files_and_managing_a_GnuCash_installation
>> .
>
> David C
>
>> On Tue, Jun 5, 2018 at 10:45 AM, Fross, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I don't think you'll find any issues with your plan.  Linux and Windows
>> should interface the data file seamlessly without difference or issue.
>>
>> There are differences in setting up GNUCash between platforms (Perl for
>> example if you plan on download quotes.)  But that is a program
>> configuration topic, not a data file topic.
>>
>> Michael
>>
>>> On Tue, Jun 5, 2018 at 10:38 AM, Info <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Greetings:
>>>
>>> We have used gnucash on linux. While not experts, we think we can
>>> accomplish what we need.
>>>
>>> We want to use gnucash to maintain the financial records of a new private
>>> foundation. The number of transactions will not be prohibitive. We can
>>> restrict entries to one person at a time, no multiple incidents. We would
>>> like to be able to put the main gnucash data files on a usb drive and
>> move
>>> the drive from linux computers to windows computers. Gnucash will be
>> loaded
>>> on all the computers.
>>>
>>> Will we encounter problems with differences between the way a linux
>>> gnucash interacts with the data and the way a windows gnucash interacts?
>> We
>>> can install exactly the same release on all computers (we are not talking
>>> about more than 3 or 4 computers total.) This is for convenience. If
>> there
>>> is even the possibility of trouble, we will restrict all entries to linux
>>> computers.
>>>
>>> Thanks for your kind assistance.
>>>
>>> Joel

>>> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
>>> -----

Re: [GNC] USING THE SAME GNUCASH FILE ON BOTH LINUX AND WINDOWS COMPUTERS

cicko
Dennis Powless wrote
> You could use a cloud based storage service, with all computers linked,
> such as Dropbox.
> You can have GC on as many computers as you see fit, each using the same
> GC data file.
> That way you’re not depending on a usb drive that could get misplaced
> etc....
> Dennis

Right. I can confirm this works fine as I'm using the same book on Windows
and Linux machines, synchronized via Dropbox. The book itself is an sqlite
database.

Probably, if you used a MySql/MariaDb instance, all the workstations in the
organization could connect to it seamlessly.

I am not, however, using any custom reports in GnuCash. These used to be
stored in user's profile directory and would have had to be copied to other
machines. With v3 the location has changed but I believe the principle is
the same.