[GNC] UK VAT and "Making Tax Digital"

Peter von Kaehne
Hi,

We are using Gnucash very gratefully for now over a decade in our small
business. We are VAT registered.

The UK government has declared it requires from this year onwards VAT
businesses to go towards a complete digital solution with their tax
under new law called "Making Tax Digital". All tax records need to be
in a seamless electronic format from entering into books to filing with
the tax office. An API has apparently been offered - but I can not so
far find any link to it.

The main obstacle I can see for us right now is we have as far as I can
tell no way to file Tax returns from inside the programme.

Is there anything you have in the pipeline? We can hardly be the first
or only who will have a problem...

Many thanks!

Peter

Re: [GNC] UK VAT and "Making Tax Digital"

Michael or Penny Novack
On 2/16/2019 4:18 PM, Peter von Kaehne wrote:

> The main obstacle I can see for us right now is we have as far as I can
> tell no way to file Tax returns from inside the programme.
>
> Is there anything you have in the pipeline? We can hardly be the first
> or only who will have a problem...
As others have already pointed out, there is no requirement that this be
from within the bookkeeping program.

At the same time, I do understand why you would think that ability
useful to you (and I agree, it would be). But do you understand, when
you are asking "is it in the development pipeline" what you are REALLY
asking? That gnucash have this capability for eery jurisdiction on the
planet. I mean, why should YOURS have some special place in the line.

Commercial "combined packages" << general ledger, POS, tax
reporting/filing, inventory, payroll, etc. >> are usually written to
compete in the market of those satisfying the requirements of some
specific jurisdiction or rang of jurisdictions. For example, look at the
packages sold here in the US. Do you see them even dealing with VAT let
alone being to report it as required?

Michael D Novack

On Sun, 2019-02-17 at 07:48 -0500, Michael or Penny Novack wrote:

>  I mean, why should YOURS have some special place in the line.

I do not think I asked for any special place in any line, I asked if
there was something already in the line.

But that aside - the more I consider the lot - and the more I consider
the difficulties others will have in their respective legislations
going the same or similar ways - can I reformulate my request:

If the reports, all table shaped reports, could have the option of
being exported in some XML and in CSV format further to the essentially
presentational layouts we have now (PDF and HTML) I think there would
be ample place then for people in my situation - whereever they are -
who need to transform the reports into something useful for tax of
whatever to do so easily.

Right now we use the transaction report and a couple of other reports,
copy and paste that into LibreOffice Calc and send the spreadsheet as
excel file to our accountant. We do that both for VAT and the annual
tax return.

Both is tedious and leaves ample room for improvements.

A decade back or so there were some gnumeric transformations which we
used, but these seem to have ceased working.

I would gladly be involved and contribute where I can.

Peter

Re: [GNC] UK VAT and "Making Tax Digital"

Alain D D Williams
On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 09:43:35PM +0000, Peter von Kaehne wrote:

> I would gladly be involved and contribute where I can.

I will also volunteer to help ... I suspect that the main work will be in
producing some bridgeing software. I had a look at the specs and did not get
much in the way of understanding.

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  https://www.phcomp.co.uk/