[GNC] UI question

Rich Shepard
   I just upgraded from 2.6.21 to 3.2 (on Slackware-14.2) and the text and
images on the new display appear larger than the 2.x versions. Is there a
way to select font size for the registers and controls?

   I found preferences for html reports which allows selection of typeface
and size but not for the main register display.

Rich

Re: [GNC] UI question

John Ralls-2

> On Jul 8, 2018, at 8:22 AM, Rich Shepard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>  I just upgraded from 2.6.21 to 3.2 (on Slackware-14.2) and the text and
> images on the new display appear larger than the 2.x versions. Is there a
> way to select font size for the registers and controls?
>
>  I found preferences for html reports which allows selection of typeface
> and size but not for the main register display.

See https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/GTK3 for all sorts of information about customizing GnuCash version 3's appearance.

Re: [GNC] UI question

Rich Shepard
On Sun, 8 Jul 2018, John Ralls wrote:

> See https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/GTK3 for all sorts of information about
> customizing GnuCash version 3's appearance.

John,

   Thanks for the URL. I'll definitely look at that page.

Regards,

Rich

Re: [GNC] UI question

lj-2
Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Jul 2018, John Ralls wrote:
>
>> See https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/GTK3 for all sorts of information about
>> customizing GnuCash version 3's appearance.
>
> John,
>
>    Thanks for the URL. I'll definitely look at that page.

Please follow up if you get this to work. I'm also using Slackware 14.2 and
upgraded to GnuCash-3.2. Using the sample CSS file I am able to get colors to
change, but not fonts, in the register pages. It is frustrating because it
requires a GnuCash restart to test each change, and when it doesn't work you
just see nothing different on the page.

Does anyone know if the class selector "sheet" actually works when using Gtk+3
earlier than 3.20.0? I peeked in the code and I see 2 ways "sheet" is applied,
one for Gtk+3 3.20.0 and newer, and a different way for older.  Slackware 14.2
has Gtk+3 3.18.9 so the older method would be applied.

Perhaps there is another way I can find out if "sheet" is working?

Re: [GNC] UI question

John Ralls-2

> On Jul 9, 2018, at 4:27 PM, lj <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Rich Shepard wrote:
>> On Sun, 8 Jul 2018, John Ralls wrote:
>>> See https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/GTK3 for all sorts of information about
>>> customizing GnuCash version 3's appearance.
>> John,
>>   Thanks for the URL. I'll definitely look at that page.
>
> Please follow up if you get this to work. I'm also using Slackware 14.2 and upgraded to GnuCash-3.2. Using the sample CSS file I am able to get colors to change, but not fonts, in the register pages. It is frustrating because it requires a GnuCash restart to test each change, and when it doesn't work you just see nothing different on the page.
>
> Does anyone know if the class selector "sheet" actually works when using Gtk+3 earlier than 3.20.0? I peeked in the code and I see 2 ways "sheet" is applied, one for Gtk+3 3.20.0 and newer, and a different way for older.  Slackware 14.2 has Gtk+3 3.18.9 so the older method would be applied.
>
> Perhaps there is another way I can find out if "sheet" is working?

The Gtk Inspector, https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GTK%2B/Inspector <https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GTK+/Inspector>, is a wonderful way to poke and prod a Gtk application’s styling.

Re: [GNC] UI question

lj-2
John Ralls wrote:
> The Gtk Inspector, https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GTK%2B/Inspector
> <https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GTK+/Inspector>, is a wonderful way to
> poke and prod a Gtk application’s styling.
OK that helped. Turns out there is an error in the supplied sample CSS file
share/doc/gnucash/gtk-3.0.css - there is a missing "." before the class  selector.

This, from the file, does not work:
    sheet { font: 18px arial, sans-serif; }

What works is either this:
    .sheet { font: 18px arial, sans-serif; }

or this
    GnucashSheet { font: 18px arial, sans-serif; }

Re: [GNC] UI question

John Ralls-2

> On Jul 9, 2018, at 7:16 PM, lj <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> John Ralls wrote:
>> The Gtk Inspector, https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GTK%2B/Inspector
>> <https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GTK+/Inspector>, is a wonderful way to
>> poke and prod a Gtk application’s styling.
> OK that helped. Turns out there is an error in the supplied sample CSS file share/doc/gnucash/gtk-3.0.css - there is a missing "." before the class  selector.
>
> This, from the file, does not work:
>   sheet { font: 18px arial, sans-serif; }
>
> What works is either this:
>   .sheet { font: 18px arial, sans-serif; }
>
> or this
>   GnucashSheet { font: 18px arial, sans-serif; }

Which sample gtk.css is that?

Re: [GNC] UI question

lj-2
John Ralls wrote:
> Which sample gtk.css is that?

1. Distributed in the gnucash-3.2.tar.bz2 source distribution as:
   gnucash-3.2/doc/gtk-3.0.css

2. Installed in CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX/share/doc/gnucash/gtk-3.0.css

3. On github: https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/blob/master/doc/gtk-3.0.css

Re: [GNC] UI question

John Ralls-2

> On Jul 10, 2018, at 5:02 AM, lj <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> John Ralls wrote:
>> Which sample gtk.css is that?
>

> 1. Distributed in the gnucash-3.2.tar.bz2 source distribution as:
>  gnucash-3.2/doc/gtk-3.0.css
>
> 2. Installed in CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX/share/doc/gnucash/gtk-3.0.css
>
> 3. On github: https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/blob/master/doc/gtk-3.0.css

Thanks. I’ve inserted the missing dot.

Re: [GNC] UI question

pj42uk
Just for info, it definitely does not need the dot on Windows 10.
Peter

Nurton Court
Middleton-on-the-Hill
Ludlow SY8 4BD
Tel: 01568 750 248 Mob: 07955 586 476

On 10 July 2018 at 15:13, John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On Jul 10, 2018, at 5:02 AM, lj <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > John Ralls wrote:
> >> Which sample gtk.css is that?
> >

> > 1. Distributed in the gnucash-3.2.tar.bz2 source distribution as:
> >  gnucash-3.2/doc/gtk-3.0.css
> >
> > 2. Installed in CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX/share/doc/gnucash/gtk-3.0.css
> >
> > 3. On github: https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/blob/master/doc/gtk-3.
> 0.css
> >

> Thanks. I’ve inserted the missing dot.

Re: [GNC] UI question

John Ralls-2
As Geert pointed out it's not the platform it's the Gtk+ version (3.20+). The Windows and Mac AIOs generally use fairly recent releases; older Linux distros don't.