[GNC] Tweak of Memorized Transactions

Dale Alspach-2
This is really a request for enhancement but I thought I would see what
others thought before formally adding it.

I use the Memo line once in a while for purchases at some stores, but
usually it is left blank. In single line mode later I will enter another
purchase at the same store, the memorized transaction fills the Memo field
with the memo from the earlier transaction which is not relevant for this
one. Further this is hidden in single line mode so the transaction is
posted with the bogus memo. This produces false positives when searching on
the memo field.

I could use auto-split mode but this is annoying when most transactions do
not need the extra steps. To overcome this issue it would be convenient to
have one or both of these options in the Preferences:
1. Automatically open the detail (split) view if any of the Memo fields of
the proposed transaction are not empty.
2. Do not insert the contents of Memo fields in memorized transactions (in
single line mode?).

Do other users want something like this?

Dale

Re: [GNC] Tweak of Memorized Transactions

Jack Slater
Good ideas.

GAH

Re: [GNC] Tweak of Memorized Transactions

GAH
I agree.

Liz

Re: [GNC] Tweak of Memorized Transactions

Liz
On Sun, 24 Mar 2019 13:52:56 -0500
Dale Alspach <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I use the Memo line once in a while for purchases at some stores, but
> usually it is left blank. In single line mode later I will enter
> another purchase at the same store, the memorized transaction fills
> the Memo field with the memo from the earlier transaction which is
> not relevant for this one. Further this is hidden in single line mode
> so the transaction is posted with the bogus memo. This produces false
> positives when searching on the memo field.

If you believe my books, I have bought lots of washing machines at all
sorts of prices.
I'm mostly using double line view now.

Liz

Re: [GNC] Tweak of Memorized Transactions

Glenn Christman

I also have turned on double-line mode to deal with the notes/memo
field.  I use it mainly on one account.

The original suggestions  would be nice options to have - certainly the
non-copying of the field for memorized transactions would be great.

On 3/24/2019 10:22 PM, Liz wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Mar 2019 13:52:56 -0500
> Dale Alspach <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I use the Memo line once in a while for purchases at some stores, but
>> usually it is left blank. In single line mode later I will enter
>> another purchase at the same store, the memorized transaction fills
>> the Memo field with the memo from the earlier transaction which is
>> not relevant for this one. Further this is hidden in single line mode
>> so the transaction is posted with the bogus memo. This produces false
>> positives when searching on the memo field.
> If you believe my books, I have bought lots of washing machines at all
> sorts of prices.
> I'm mostly using double line view now.
>
> Liz

-Glenn J. Christman

Re: [GNC] Tweak of Memorized Transactions

Kenneth Schneider
You can edit any field of the memorized transaction to your liking.

Ken Schneider

> On Mar 25, 2019, at 5:01 AM, Glenn Christman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> I also have turned on double-line mode to deal with the notes/memo field.  I use it mainly on one account.
>
> The original suggestions  would be nice options to have - certainly the non-copying of the field for memorized transactions would be great.
>

>> On 3/24/2019 10:22 PM, Liz wrote:
>> On Sun, 24 Mar 2019 13:52:56 -0500
>> Dale Alspach <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I use the Memo line once in a while for purchases at some stores, but
>>> usually it is left blank. In single line mode later I will enter
>>> another purchase at the same store, the memorized transaction fills
>>> the Memo field with the memo from the earlier transaction which is
>>> not relevant for this one. Further this is hidden in single line mode
>>> so the transaction is posted with the bogus memo. This produces false
>>> positives when searching on the memo field.
>> If you believe my books, I have bought lots of washing machines at all
>> sorts of prices.
>> I'm mostly using double line view now.
>>
>> Liz

> -Glenn J. Christman

Re: [GNC] Tweak of Memorized Transactions

Ken,

You're missing the point here. Dale is pointing out an implementation that automatically copies hidden (and transaction-specific) information from one transaction to the next. This annoying feature is what Liz was referring to when she said she'd purchased many washing machines: the information about a washing machine is copied from one transaction to the next in the hidden memo field.

This is a similar problem to that of the copied splits (or entries, or ledger entries, or whangdoodles, using whatever terminology is the current fad) -- i.e., people complain when the auto fill duplicates splits from one transaction to the next.I

Of course, we can edit these (if we are aware they've been copied), but wouldn't it be more convenient in this instance if we didn't have to--or perhaps had the option to choose?

It sounds like you're talking about scheduled transactions, which Dale was not.

David

On March 25, 2019, at 7:26 PM, Kenneth Schneider <[hidden email]> wrote:

You can edit any field of the memorized transaction to your liking.

Ken Schneider

> On Mar 25, 2019, at 5:01 AM, Glenn Christman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> I also have turned on double-line mode to deal with the notes/memo field.  I use it mainly on one account.
>
> The original suggestions  would be nice options to have - certainly the non-copying of the field for memorized transactions would be great.
>

>> On 3/24/2019 10:22 PM, Liz wrote:
>> On Sun, 24 Mar 2019 13:52:56 -0500
>> Dale Alspach <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I use the Memo line once in a while for purchases at some stores, but
>>> usually it is left blank. In single line mode later I will enter
>>> another purchase at the same store, the memorized transaction fills
>>> the Memo field with the memo from the earlier transaction which is
>>> not relevant for this one. Further this is hidden in single line mode
>>> so the transaction is posted with the bogus memo. This produces false
>>> positives when searching on the memo field.
>> If you believe my books, I have bought lots of washing machines at all
>> sorts of prices.
>> I'm mostly using double line view now.
>>
>> Liz

> -Glenn J. Christman

Re: [GNC] Tweak of Memorized Transactions

Interesting, but not really necessary to change. (and it would introduce more code to maintain)

If you don’t want to use memos, don’t.

If you do, then turn on transaction-journal view instead and use that. You’ll never encounter this problem of ‘hidden’ data.

I got so tired of expanding transactions to view them I just turned it on permanently my first week of using GnuCash and haven’t looked back. (I did try it once a few years later while helping someone and quickly saw I didn’t like the basic view at all) I’ve also since turned on Double-Line mode to get the extra Notes field for transaction notes in addition to memo splits.

I’d recommend to any new user to adjust these two settings. Not only does they give you an at-a-glance view of all of your data, it helps to see the debits and credits to learn double-entry accounting if you are new to it, and with these two settings you have the most access to enter as much detail as you possibly can. I’ve long ago learned it is easier to enter lots of detail as I enter transactions then to wish I still had that info months or years later and I want to analyze my activity. (more detail significantly helps with refactoring accounts which you are more likely to do as you determine exactly how you want to track things over the first few months of using the software, or even years later when you find a better method/account)