[GNC] Transaction won't reconcile

dlbriggs
I have checked the other sources for this info and don't see it.

I have a single transaction that I found missing (my bad) during
reconciliation.  I entered the transaction, completed the reconciliation
process and balanced the account to the bank statement.

The problem is:  the new transaction did not flag as reconciled.  It
remained as 'n' , rather than 'r'.  I then tried to re-reconcile the account
and the transaction is no longer available to reconcile.

How do I get this transaction reconciled?

Any help would be appreciated.

David Briggs

Re: [GNC] Transaction won't reconcile

Colin Law
If you go into reconcile again does the starting balance match the
ending balance from the just-completed reconcile.

Are you certain that there are not two similar transactions, one of
which you have reconciled and one not?
Check very carefully the date on the one that is not reconciled and
re-check in the reconcile window that it is not there.
If you are still certain then tell us which version of gnucash you are
using and on what os.
Are you able to post a screen shot showing the recalcitrant
transaction and the reconcile window not showing it?

Colin

On Tue, 2 Apr 2019 at 16:19, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have checked the other sources for this info and don't see it.
>

> I have a single transaction that I found missing (my bad) during
> reconciliation.  I entered the transaction, completed the reconciliation
> process and balanced the account to the bank statement.
>

> The problem is:  the new transaction did not flag as reconciled.  It
> remained as 'n' , rather than 'r'.  I then tried to re-reconcile the account
> and the transaction is no longer available to reconcile.
>

> How do I get this transaction reconciled?
>

> Any help would be appreciated.
>

> David Briggs

Re: [GNC] Transaction won't reconcile

Colin Law
Forwarding your message below to the list as you sent it just to me.
It is necessary to use Reply All (or similar) when using this list.
The critical thing is, if you start a new reconcile (which you can
then cancel) does the Starting Balance shown match the final balance
on the previous statement from the bank that you reconciled against?
If it does, *and* the problematic transaction is on that statement,
then you still have a problem, as you must have reconciled it in order
to get the previous reconcile to complete.  Possibly you entered it
twice, maybe with the wrong date for example, and then with the right
date, so you reconciled the 'old' one and the other is still there.
You try using the search feature to find it.

Colin

On Sun, 7 Apr 2019 at 03:03, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I hope I have not wasted your time.  But, that transaction now shows up.  I will wait until the next statement, reconcile it and see what happens.
>
> David

Ok.  Will let you know.

David

kvn

Re: [GNC] Transaction won't reconcile

kvn
Yes - starting balance matches statement. I have just reconciled most of
2018 on 7 separate accounts, and consistently experienced the problem.
The starting balance matches, but the ending balance does not match the
statement.  If I correct the ending balance in GC and add the missing
transactions, then the statement reconciles just fine and I can go on to
the next month.

This has been a problem I have experienced since I started using GC and
this is the method I use to correct the problem.  I go thru the printed
statment and copy and past missing transactions (practically all of the
missing transactions exist in the ledger already) and then finish
reconciling. However, it would be much nicer if all the transactions
were imported by the importer at the time of importing :)

I replied by selecting "Reply List".  Is that correct?

Thanks

On 4/7/19 3:35 AM, Colin Law wrote:

> Forwarding your message below to the list as you sent it just to me.
> It is necessary to use Reply All (or similar) when using this list.
> The critical thing is, if you start a new reconcile (which you can
> then cancel) does the Starting Balance shown match the final balance
> on the previous statement from the bank that you reconciled against?
> If it does, *and* the problematic transaction is on that statement,
> then you still have a problem, as you must have reconciled it in order
> to get the previous reconcile to complete.  Possibly you entered it
> twice, maybe with the wrong date for example, and then with the right
> date, so you reconciled the 'old' one and the other is still there.
> You try using the search feature to find it.
>
> Colin
>
> On Sun, 7 Apr 2019 at 03:03, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I hope I have not wasted your time.  But, that transaction now shows up.  I will wait until the next statement, reconcile it and see what happens.
>>
>> David

Adrien Monteleone-2
I don’t follow:

"(practically all of the missing transactions exist in the ledger already)”

Where are your copying them from and pasting them to, then?

How are the transactions ‘missing’ if they “exist in the ledger already?”

When you reconcile, you will likely always need to enter the closing balance from the statement into the GC pop-up after setting the closing date. That is normal unless your bank/processor clears everything instantly.

> On Apr 11, 2019, at 12:46 PM, kvn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Yes - starting balance matches statement. I have just reconciled most of 2018 on 7 separate accounts, and consistently experienced the problem.  The starting balance matches, but the ending balance does not match the statement.  If I correct the ending balance in GC and add the missing transactions, then the statement reconciles just fine and I can go on to the next month.
>
> This has been a problem I have experienced since I started using GC and this is the method I use to correct the problem.  I go thru the printed statment and copy and past missing transactions (practically all of the missing transactions exist in the ledger already) and then finish reconciling. However, it would be much nicer if all the transactions were imported by the importer at the time of importing :)
>
> I replied by selecting "Reply List".  Is that correct?
>
> Thanks

Re: [GNC] Transaction won't reconcile

When you import transactions, do you check all of the auto-matched ones
to make sure that they are correct before you close the importer? I find
that sometimes the importer matches a new transaction to an older one in
my ledger instead of treating it as a new, separate transaction.
Something like that might explain why Gnucash appears not to import some
of your transactions.