[GNC] Switch to Account that a Transfer is from by Keyboard

JP

[GNC] Switch to Account that a Transfer is from by Keyboard

JP
How do I create a keyboard shortcut that will switch me between the entries
of the accounts for which a transfer entry is made?

Re: [GNC] Switch to Account that a Transfer is from by Keyboard

Greg Feneis
There's already a short-ish cut method for account selection built in to
GnuCash.  As you probably know, and in parlance with many data entry
interfaces, the tab key will move the cursor from field to field.

Once the cursor is in the account column, type the first few letters of the
main account. A selection list will appear. Once you've typed enough
characters the target main account will be highlighted. Once it's
highlighted, type colon, and a selection list of possible sub accounts
appear. Type enough letters so that the target sub account is highlighted.
Keep doing colon, type, colon, type until you've drilled down to the actual
final account you want. Once you've got the final target account
highlighted, don't hit colon, hit tab, and your account will be selected
and the cursor will move to the next field.

Kind regards, Greg Feneis
(Pixel 3)

On Sun, Jun 16, 2019, 15:49 JP <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How do I create a keyboard shortcut that will switch me between the entries
> of the accounts for which a transfer entry is made?

Re: [GNC] Switch to Account that a Transfer is from by Keyboard

Colin Law
Not certain what you mean.  Do you mean that you want to switch to the
account that is the other side of the transaction? if so then the Jump
toolbar button does that.

Colin

JP

Re: [GNC] Switch to Account that a Transfer is from by Keyboard

JP
Yep Jump is what I was looking for and I created a keyboard short cut for
it in the acclerator-map file

Thx

On Mon., Jun. 17, 2019, 1:27 a.m. Colin Law, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Not certain what you mean.  Do you mean that you want to switch to the
> account that is the other side of the transaction? if so then the Jump
> toolbar button does that.
>
> Colin
>
> On Sun, 16 Jun 2019 at 23:49, JP <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > How do I create a keyboard shortcut that will switch me between the
> entries
> > of the accounts for which a transfer entry is made?

Re: [GNC] Switch to Account that a Transfer is from by Keyboard

David Carlson-4
I thought there was already a keyboard shortcut for that.  In Windows
release 2.6.19, the letter *J* is underlined in the word *J*ump in the
*A*ctions
menu, which is supposed to indicate a keyboard shortcut.  However, when I
tried it today, I couldn't make it work.  If it is broken, a bug report
should be filed.  I could not find the proper list of shortcuts in the
documentaation to see if it is documented.

Curiously, in GnuCash 2.6.19 in Ubuntu 18.04, there are no underlines in
the menus at all.

David Carlson

On Mon, Jun 17, 2019 at 9:04 AM JP <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yep Jump is what I was looking for and I created a keyboard short cut for
> it in the acclerator-map file
>
> Thx
>
> On Mon., Jun. 17, 2019, 1:27 a.m. Colin Law, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Not certain what you mean.  Do you mean that you want to switch to the
> > account that is the other side of the transaction? if so then the Jump
> > toolbar button does that.
> >
> > Colin
> >
> > On Sun, 16 Jun 2019 at 23:49, JP <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > How do I create a keyboard shortcut that will switch me between the
> > entries
> > > of the accounts for which a transfer entry is made?
> > > If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
> > https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
> > > -----

David Carlson

Re: [GNC] Switch to Account that a Transfer is from by Keyboard

GnuCash - User mailing list
Keyboard shortcuts are not accelerators.

> On Jun 17, 2019, at 7:27 AM, David Carlson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I thought there was already a keyboard shortcut for that.  In Windows
> release 2.6.19, the letter *J* is underlined in the word *J*ump in the
> *A*ctions
> menu, which is supposed to indicate a keyboard shortcut.  However, when I
> tried it today, I couldn't make it work.  If it is broken, a bug report
> should be filed.  I could not find the proper list of shortcuts in the
> documentaation to see if it is documented.
>
> Curiously, in GnuCash 2.6.19 in Ubuntu 18.04, there are no underlines in
> the menus at all.
>
> David Carlson
>
> On Mon, Jun 17, 2019 at 9:04 AM JP <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Yep Jump is what I was looking for and I created a keyboard short cut for
>> it in the acclerator-map file
>>
>> Thx
>>
>> On Mon., Jun. 17, 2019, 1:27 a.m. Colin Law, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Not certain what you mean.  Do you mean that you want to switch to the
>>> account that is the other side of the transaction? if so then the Jump
>>> toolbar button does that.
>>>
>>> Colin

>>> entries
>>> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.

> David Carlson

Re: [GNC] Switch to Account that a Transfer is from by Keyboard

David Carlson-4
So which ones are underlined and how to mahe them work?

David Carlson

On Mon, Jun 17, 2019, 9:58 AM John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Keyboard shortcuts are not accelerators.

> > On Jun 17, 2019, at 7:27 AM, David Carlson <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > I thought there was already a keyboard shortcut for that.  In Windows
> > release 2.6.19, the letter *J* is underlined in the word *J*ump in the
> > *A*ctions
> > menu, which is supposed to indicate a keyboard shortcut.  However, when I
> > tried it today, I couldn't make it work.  If it is broken, a bug report
> > should be filed.  I could not find the proper list of shortcuts in the
> > documentaation to see if it is documented.
> >
> > Curiously, in GnuCash 2.6.19 in Ubuntu 18.04, there are no underlines in
> > the menus at all.
> >
> > David Carlson
> >
> > On Mon, Jun 17, 2019 at 9:04 AM JP <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Yep Jump is what I was looking for and I created a keyboard short cut
> for
> >> it in the acclerator-map file
> >>
> >> Thx

> >> If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
> >> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
> >> -----
> >>

> > --
> > David Carlson

Re: [GNC] Switch to Account that a Transfer is from by Keyboard

Fred Bone
On 17 June 2019 at 9:27, David Carlson said:

> I thought there was already a keyboard shortcut for that.  In Windows
> release 2.6.19, the letter *J* is underlined in the word *J*ump in the
> *A*ctions menu, which is supposed to indicate a keyboard shortcut.
> However, when I tried it today, I couldn't make it work.

Works fine for me in 2.6.21 on Windows10.

Re: [GNC] Switch to Account that a Transfer is from by Keyboard

David,

The underlines you are referring to are called mnemonics. They are not visible by default. Once you press the activator key (`Alt` on Windows/Linux `Command` on Mac) you will see them. On Mac, I noticed the menu does not redraw while being displayed, so I had to click elsewhere to close the menu and then right-click again, and the underlines were then visible.

This is a shame because it makes them less discoverable.

Note, I don’t see any mnemonics in the main menus, probably because most of those entries have their own accelerators. (which are faster to use than opening a menu and then using a mnemonic)

Here is some more info: https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/GTK3#Restoring_Visible_Mnenomics

I just did a search of the Help file and I do not see any documentation on the context menu or any mnemonics.

> On Jun 17, 2019, at 9:27 AM, David Carlson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I thought there was already a keyboard shortcut for that.  In Windows
> release 2.6.19, the letter *J* is underlined in the word *J*ump in the
> *A*ctions
> menu, which is supposed to indicate a keyboard shortcut.  However, when I
> tried it today, I couldn't make it work.  If it is broken, a bug report
> should be filed.  I could not find the proper list of shortcuts in the
> documentaation to see if it is documented.
>
> Curiously, in GnuCash 2.6.19 in Ubuntu 18.04, there are no underlines in
> the menus at all.
>
> David Carlson

Re: [GNC] Switch to Account that a Transfer is from by Keyboard

Adrien Monteleone-2
I forgot to mention, though the linked wiki page does cover this: the lack of initial visibility is not a GnuCash thing. It is a GTK+ thing.

> On Jun 17, 2019, at 2:54 PM, Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> David,
>
> The underlines you are referring to are called mnemonics. They are not visible by default. Once you press the activator key (`Alt` on Windows/Linux `Command` on Mac) you will see them. On Mac, I noticed the menu does not redraw while being displayed, so I had to click elsewhere to close the menu and then right-click again, and the underlines were then visible.
>
> This is a shame because it makes them less discoverable.
>
> Note, I don’t see any mnemonics in the main menus, probably because most of those entries have their own accelerators. (which are faster to use than opening a menu and then using a mnemonic)
>
> Here is some more info: https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/GTK3#Restoring_Visible_Mnenomics
>
> I just did a search of the Help file and I do not see any documentation on the context menu or any mnemonics.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
>
>> On Jun 17, 2019, at 9:27 AM, David Carlson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I thought there was already a keyboard shortcut for that.  In Windows
>> release 2.6.19, the letter *J* is underlined in the word *J*ump in the
>> *A*ctions
>> menu, which is supposed to indicate a keyboard shortcut.  However, when I
>> tried it today, I couldn't make it work.  If it is broken, a bug report
>> should be filed.  I could not find the proper list of shortcuts in the
>> documentaation to see if it is documented.
>>
>> Curiously, in GnuCash 2.6.19 in Ubuntu 18.04, there are no underlines in
>> the menus at all.
>>
>> David Carlson

Re: [GNC] Switch to Account that a Transfer is from by Keyboard

David Carlson-4
Thanks Adrien.  When I get back to my computer I will check that out.

David Carlson

On Mon, Jun 17, 2019, 3:01 PM Adrien Monteleone <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I forgot to mention, though the linked wiki page does cover this: the lack
> of initial visibility is not a GnuCash thing. It is a GTK+ thing.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
>
> > On Jun 17, 2019, at 2:54 PM, Adrien Monteleone <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > David,
> >
> > The underlines you are referring to are called mnemonics. They are not
> visible by default. Once you press the activator key (`Alt` on
> Windows/Linux `Command` on Mac) you will see them. On Mac, I noticed the
> menu does not redraw while being displayed, so I had to click elsewhere to
> close the menu and then right-click again, and the underlines were then
> visible.
> >
> > This is a shame because it makes them less discoverable.
> >
> > Note, I don’t see any mnemonics in the main menus, probably because most
> of those entries have their own accelerators. (which are faster to use than
> opening a menu and then using a mnemonic)
> >
> > Here is some more info:
> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/GTK3#Restoring_Visible_Mnenomics
> >
> > I just did a search of the Help file and I do not see any documentation
> on the context menu or any mnemonics.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Adrien
> >
> >> On Jun 17, 2019, at 9:27 AM, David Carlson <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> I thought there was already a keyboard shortcut for that.  In Windows
> >> release 2.6.19, the letter *J* is underlined in the word *J*ump in the
> >> *A*ctions
> >> menu, which is supposed to indicate a keyboard shortcut.  However, when
> >> tried it today, I couldn't make it work.  If it is broken, a bug report
> >> should be filed.  I could not find the proper list of shortcuts in the
> >> documentaation to see if it is documented.
> >>
> >> Curiously, in GnuCash 2.6.19 in Ubuntu 18.04, there are no underlines in
> >> the menus at all.
> >>
> >> David Carlson

Re: [GNC] Switch to Account that a Transfer is from by Keyboard

Do any of the Devs/Docs folks know if the context-menu and mnemonics are documented somewhere that David and I aren’t finding?

If not, is there any objection to filing a documentation bug for tracking?

> On Jun 17, 2019, at 2:54 PM, Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> David,
>
> The underlines you are referring to are called mnemonics. They are not visible by default. Once you press the activator key (`Alt` on Windows/Linux `Command` on Mac) you will see them. On Mac, I noticed the menu does not redraw while being displayed, so I had to click elsewhere to close the menu and then right-click again, and the underlines were then visible.
>
> This is a shame because it makes them less discoverable.
>
> Note, I don’t see any mnemonics in the main menus, probably because most of those entries have their own accelerators. (which are faster to use than opening a menu and then using a mnemonic)
>
> Here is some more info: https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/GTK3#Restoring_Visible_Mnenomics
>
> I just did a search of the Help file and I do not see any documentation on the context menu or any mnemonics.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
>
>> On Jun 17, 2019, at 9:27 AM, David Carlson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I thought there was already a keyboard shortcut for that.  In Windows
>> release 2.6.19, the letter *J* is underlined in the word *J*ump in the
>> *A*ctions
>> menu, which is supposed to indicate a keyboard shortcut.  However, when I
>> tried it today, I couldn't make it work.  If it is broken, a bug report
>> should be filed.  I could not find the proper list of shortcuts in the
>> documentaation to see if it is documented.
>>
>> Curiously, in GnuCash 2.6.19 in Ubuntu 18.04, there are no underlines in
>> the menus at all.
>>
>> David Carlson

Re: [GNC] Switch to Account that a Transfer is from by Keyboard

David Carlson-4
In Windows <Alt-A, J> does jump to the account register window for
whichever split line the curser is sitting on, even in the Journal view.

Thanks again.

David Carlson

On Mon, Jun 17, 2019 at 5:26 PM Adrien Monteleone <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Do any of the Devs/Docs folks know if the context-menu and mnemonics are
> documented somewhere that David and I aren’t finding?
>
> If not, is there any objection to filing a documentation bug for tracking?
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
>
> > On Jun 17, 2019, at 2:54 PM, Adrien Monteleone <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > David,
> >
> > The underlines you are referring to are called mnemonics. They are not
> visible by default. Once you press the activator key (`Alt` on
> Windows/Linux `Command` on Mac) you will see them. On Mac, I noticed the
> menu does not redraw while being displayed, so I had to click elsewhere to
> close the menu and then right-click again, and the underlines were then
> visible.
> >
> > This is a shame because it makes them less discoverable.
> >
> > Note, I don’t see any mnemonics in the main menus, probably because most
> of those entries have their own accelerators. (which are faster to use than
> opening a menu and then using a mnemonic)
> >
> > Here is some more info:
> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/GTK3#Restoring_Visible_Mnenomics
> >
> > I just did a search of the Help file and I do not see any documentation
> on the context menu or any mnemonics.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Adrien
> >
> >> On Jun 17, 2019, at 9:27 AM, David Carlson <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> I thought there was already a keyboard shortcut for that.  In Windows
> >> release 2.6.19, the letter *J* is underlined in the word *J*ump in the
> >> *A*ctions
> >> menu, which is supposed to indicate a keyboard shortcut.  However, when
> >> tried it today, I couldn't make it work.  If it is broken, a bug report
> >> should be filed.  I could not find the proper list of shortcuts in the
> >> documentaation to see if it is documented.
> >>
> >> Curiously, in GnuCash 2.6.19 in Ubuntu 18.04, there are no underlines in
> >> the menus at all.
> >>
> >> David Carlson

David Carlson

Re: [GNC] Switch to Account that a Transfer is from by Keyboard

Stan Brown
The underlines are visible without my pressing any keys. (This is GC
2.6.19 on Windows 7.)

Alt+A, J works for me just as David says.

Stan Brown
Tompkins County, New York, USA
http://BrownMath.com
http://OakRoadSystems.com

On 2019-06-17 21:43, David Carlson wrote:
> In Windows <Alt-A, J> does jump to the account register window for
> whichever split line the curser is sitting on, even in the Journal view.

>>> On Jun 17, 2019, at 2:54 PM, Adrien Monteleone <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> David,
>>>
>>> The underlines you are referring to are called mnemonics. They are not
>> visible by default. Once you press the activator key (`Alt` on
>> Windows/Linux `Command` on Mac) you will see them.

Re: [GNC] Switch to Account that a Transfer is from by Keyboard

Adrien Monteleone-2
Yes, the Gtk+ version which changed this was implemented for 3.0.

> On Jun 17, 2019, at 9:00 PM, Stan Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The underlines are visible without my pressing any keys. (This is GC
> 2.6.19 on Windows 7.)
>
> Alt+A, J works for me just as David says.

> Stan Brown

Re: [GNC] Switch to Account that a Transfer is from by Keybo

GnuCash - User mailing list
Adrien,
Because this is specifically a situation that resulted from GTK, I would be reluctant to add language to the Gnucash documentation.
David T.

  On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 8:29, Adrien Monteleone<[hidden email]> wrote:   Yes, the Gtk+ version which changed this was implemented for 3.0.

> On Jun 17, 2019, at 9:00 PM, Stan Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The underlines are visible without my pressing any keys. (This is GC
> 2.6.19 on Windows 7.)
>
> Alt+A, J works for me just as David says.

> Stan Brown

Re: [GNC] Switch to Account that a Transfer is from by Keyboard

Stan Brown
I've mostly been lurking rather than posting, but I've lost count of the
number of things that used to be better in 2.x.x and now don't work as
well in 3.x.x because of GTK. It's proof that "latest and greatest" can
be an oxymoron.

On 2019-06-17 22:56, Adrien Monteleone wrote:

> Yes, the Gtk+ version which changed this was implemented for 3.0.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
>
>> On Jun 17, 2019, at 9:00 PM, Stan Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> The underlines are visible without my pressing any keys. (This is GC
>> 2.6.19 on Windows 7.)
>>
>> Alt+A, J works for me just as David says.

Re: [GNC] Switch to Account that a Transfer is from by Keybo

David T,

I disagree.  If we did not mention how Windows or Mac affects the use of
GnuCash, users would be completely lost.  We can point out that GTK causes
this or that artifact, so the user knows why he has to do something
differently than in some other programs

David Carlson.

On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 3:48 AM David T. via gnucash-user <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Adrien,
> Because this is specifically a situation that resulted from GTK, I would
> be reluctant to add language to the Gnucash documentation.
> David T.
>

>   On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 8:29, Adrien Monteleone<
> [hidden email]> wrote:   Yes, the Gtk+ version which
> changed this was implemented for 3.0.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
>
> > On Jun 17, 2019, at 9:00 PM, Stan Brown <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > The underlines are visible without my pressing any keys. (This is GC
> > 2.6.19 on Windows 7.)
> >
> > Alt+A, J works for me just as David says.
> >

> > --
> > Regards,
> > Stan Brown

David Carlson

Re: [GNC] Switch to Account that a Transfer is from by Keybo

No, I mean that the context menu doesn’t appear to be documented at all. I don’t see any reference to it in the Help manual. The mnemonics are there in the UI, just not visible in 3.x until you press the activator key. (this fact *is* documented on the Wiki, but the menu itself is still not, so far as I can tell.)

> On Jun 18, 2019, at 3:46 AM, David T. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Adrien,
>
> Because this is specifically a situation that resulted from GTK, I would be reluctant to add language to the Gnucash documentation.
>
> David T.
>

> On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 8:29, Adrien Monteleone
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yes, the Gtk+ version which changed this was implemented for 3.0.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
>
> > On Jun 17, 2019, at 9:00 PM, Stan Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > The underlines are visible without my pressing any keys. (This is GC
> > 2.6.19 on Windows 7.)
> >
> > Alt+A, J works for me just as David says.
> >

> > --
> > Regards,
> > Stan Brown

Re: [GNC] Switch to Account that a Transfer is from by Keybo

Adrien Monteleone-2
Sorry, I posted too soon.

Perhaps this would be two RFE bugs:

1. Document the context menu
2. Document the mnemonics and how to make them visible. (no need to even reference Gtk+ at all)