[GNC] Strange Problem

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[GNC] Strange Problem

Les Elliott
Yesterday, I created a new stock account, like all of the other stock
accounts that I have.  The strange thing is while the stock is listed in
my Security Editor, it is NOT listed in Price Editor.  How is this possible?

How can I fix this problem?

Thanks,

Les

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] Strange Problem

John Ralls


> On Jun 21, 2018, at 2:51 AM, Les <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Yesterday, I created a new stock account, like all of the other stock accounts that I have.  The strange thing is while the stock is listed in my Security Editor, it is NOT listed in Price Editor.  How is this possible?
>
> How can I fix this problem?
>

Get or create a price for the new security.

Regards,
John Ralls


_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] Strange Problem

Les Elliott
John:

I never received your reply because for some reason, it ended up in my
spam folder.

I am not sure what you mean, but I cannot find the stock in question in
Price Editor so I cannot check its prices.  I have selected to get
quotes via AlphaVantage in Security Editor.

At any rate, I cannot get prices or input a price manually.

Thanks,

Les

On 06/21/2018 09:32 AM, John Ralls wrote:

>
>> On Jun 21, 2018, at 2:51 AM, Les <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Yesterday, I created a new stock account, like all of the other stock accounts that I have.  The strange thing is while the stock is listed in my Security Editor, it is NOT listed in Price Editor.  How is this possible?
>>
>> How can I fix this problem?
>>
> Get or create a price for the new security.
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls
>
>

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] Strange Problem

John Ralls-2
Les,

You can’t see it in price editor because it doesn’t have any prices yet. If you marked it for retrieval and Alphavantage is feeling cooperative, “Get Prices” from the Price Database dialog will pull in a price; otherwise you can click “Add Price”, the top button on the Price Database dialog and get a dialog where you can create a price manually.

Regards,
John Ralls

> On Jun 22, 2018, at 9:34 AM, Les <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> John:
>
> I never received your reply because for some reason, it ended up in my spam folder.
>
> I am not sure what you mean, but I cannot find the stock in question in Price Editor so I cannot check its prices.  I have selected to get quotes via AlphaVantage in Security Editor.
>
> At any rate, I cannot get prices or input a price manually.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Les
>
> On 06/21/2018 09:32 AM, John Ralls wrote:
>>
>>> On Jun 21, 2018, at 2:51 AM, Les <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yesterday, I created a new stock account, like all of the other stock accounts that I have.  The strange thing is while the stock is listed in my Security Editor, it is NOT listed in Price Editor.  How is this possible?
>>>
>>> How can I fix this problem?
>>>
>> Get or create a price for the new security.
>>
>> Regards,
>> John Ralls
>>
>>
>

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] Strange Problem

David Carlson-4
Les,

As John points out, you can use the Add button to enter a price even if the
security has no prices displayed already.  In fact, this is a freeform
entry where you can manually enter prices for any security or currency in
any currency, whether you have or have not set up a security account in
your chart of accounts.  Conversely, if you have set up online retrieval
for a security and that retrieval has succeeded in obtaining a price, then
you will be able to find it in the Price Database display, again even if
you do not have a security account set up in your chart of accounts.

David C

On Fri, Jun 22, 2018 at 12:11 PM, John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Les,
>
> You can’t see it in price editor because it doesn’t have any prices yet.
> If you marked it for retrieval and Alphavantage is feeling cooperative,
> “Get Prices” from the Price Database dialog will pull in a price; otherwise
> you can click “Add Price”, the top button on the Price Database dialog and
> get a dialog where you can create a price manually.
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls
>
> > On Jun 22, 2018, at 9:34 AM, Les <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > John:
> >
> > I never received your reply because for some reason, it ended up in my
> spam folder.
> >
> > I am not sure what you mean, but I cannot find the stock in question in
> Price Editor so I cannot check its prices.  I have selected to get quotes
> via AlphaVantage in Security Editor.
> >
> > At any rate, I cannot get prices or input a price manually.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Les
> >
> > On 06/21/2018 09:32 AM, John Ralls wrote:
> >>
> >>> On Jun 21, 2018, at 2:51 AM, Les <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>>
> >>> Yesterday, I created a new stock account, like all of the other stock
> accounts that I have.  The strange thing is while the stock is listed in my
> Security Editor, it is NOT listed in Price Editor.  How is this possible?
> >>>
> >>> How can I fix this problem?
> >>>
> >> Get or create a price for the new security.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> John Ralls
> >>
> >>
> >
>
> _______________________________________________
> gnucash-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
> If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
> -----
> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
>
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] Strange Problem

Les Elliott
I guess the problem stems from the fact that although I had set the
stock to get online quotes through AlphaVantage, the stock didn't
update.  So, as John Ralls stated, the stock is not visible in Price
Editor without a price. So, following the his instructions, I went to
Price Editor, selected TSX, Add, and entered yesterday's closing price. 
It is now visible.

I have never encountered this before, as I guess all of my previous
stocks had updated prices through online quotes.

Thanks to all for the help.

Les


On 06/22/2018 12:56 PM, David Carlson wrote:

> Les,
>
> As John points out, you can use the Add button to enter a price even
> if the security has no prices displayed already. In fact, this is a
> freeform entry where you can manually enter prices for any security or
> currency in any currency, whether you have or have not set up a
> security account in your chart of accounts.  Conversely, if you have
> set up online retrieval for a security and that retrieval has
> succeeded in obtaining a price, then you will be able to find it in
> the Price Database display, again even if you do not have a security
> account set up in your chart of accounts.
>
> David C
>
> On Fri, Jun 22, 2018 at 12:11 PM, John Ralls <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Les,
>
>     You can’t see it in price editor because it doesn’t have any
>     prices yet. If you marked it for retrieval and Alphavantage is
>     feeling cooperative, “Get Prices” from the Price Database dialog
>     will pull in a price; otherwise you can click “Add Price”, the top
>     button on the Price Database dialog and get a dialog where you can
>     create a price manually.
>
>     Regards,
>     John Ralls
>
>     > On Jun 22, 2018, at 9:34 AM, Les <[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>     >
>     > John:
>     >
>     > I never received your reply because for some reason, it ended up
>     in my spam folder.
>     >
>     > I am not sure what you mean, but I cannot find the stock in
>     question in Price Editor so I cannot check its prices.  I have
>     selected to get quotes via AlphaVantage in Security Editor.
>     >
>     > At any rate, I cannot get prices or input a price manually.
>     >
>     > Thanks,
>     >
>     > Les
>     >
>     > On 06/21/2018 09:32 AM, John Ralls wrote:
>     >>
>     >>> On Jun 21, 2018, at 2:51 AM, Les <[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>     >>>
>     >>> Yesterday, I created a new stock account, like all of the
>     other stock accounts that I have.  The strange thing is while the
>     stock is listed in my Security Editor, it is NOT listed in Price
>     Editor.  How is this possible?
>     >>>
>     >>> How can I fix this problem?
>     >>>
>     >> Get or create a price for the new security.
>     >>
>     >> Regards,
>     >> John Ralls
>     >>
>     >>
>     >
>
>     _______________________________________________
>     gnucash-user mailing list
>     [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
>     https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
>     <https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user>
>     If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
>     https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists
>     <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists> for more information.
>     -----
>     Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>     You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
>
>

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] Strange Problem

Emisbod
In reply to this post by Les Elliott
On 22/06/2018 17:34, Les wrote:

> John:
>
> I never received your reply because for some reason, it ended up in my
> spam folder.
>
> I am not sure what you mean, but I cannot find the stock in question
> in Price Editor so I cannot check its prices.  I have selected to get
> quotes via AlphaVantage in Security Editor.
>
> At any rate, I cannot get prices or input a price manually.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Les

Have you tried using the ISIN number as an identifier?

--

Cheerio,

Graham


---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] Strange Problem

Les Elliott
No, I hadn't thought of that.  However, I did a search for the company
in question and could not find one.  The company only came into being on
05/18/2018 as a result of a spinout. Even when I try to get a quote
manually using a terminal, there is no data.

Les
On 06/23/2018 04:30 AM, Graham Balin wrote:

> On 22/06/2018 17:34, Les wrote:
>> John:
>>
>> I never received your reply because for some reason, it ended up in
>> my spam folder.
>>
>> I am not sure what you mean, but I cannot find the stock in question
>> in Price Editor so I cannot check its prices.  I have selected to get
>> quotes via AlphaVantage in Security Editor.
>>
>> At any rate, I cannot get prices or input a price manually.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Les
>
> Have you tried using the ISIN number as an identifier?
>
> --
>
> Cheerio,
>
> Graham
>
>
> ---
> This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
> https://www.avast.com/antivirus
>

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] Strange Problem

GnuCash - User mailing list
In reply to this post by Les Elliott
Les,

You say that you cannot enter a price manually. That is exceptional, as in not at all expected. What steps are you taking? When I try to enter a price, I have to select a commodity from the existing commodities first. If you cannot see your commodity on this list, then there is something wrong with the security in your Gnucash file.

David

On June 23, 2018, at 2:14 PM, Les <[hidden email]> wrote:

No, I hadn't thought of that.  However, I did a search for the company
in question and could not find one.  The company only came into being on
05/18/2018 as a result of a spinout. Even when I try to get a quote
manually using a terminal, there is no data.

Les
On 06/23/2018 04:30 AM, Graham Balin wrote:

> On 22/06/2018 17:34, Les wrote:
>> John:
>>
>> I never received your reply because for some reason, it ended up in
>> my spam folder.
>>
>> I am not sure what you mean, but I cannot find the stock in question
>> in Price Editor so I cannot check its prices.  I have selected to get
>> quotes via AlphaVantage in Security Editor.
>>
>> At any rate, I cannot get prices or input a price manually.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Les
>
> Have you tried using the ISIN number as an identifier?
>
> --
>
> Cheerio,
>
> Graham
>
>
> ---
> This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
> https://www.avast.com/antivirus
>

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] Strange Problem

Les Elliott
Following John Ralls' suggestions, I was able to enter a price
manually.  So this issue is solved.

Les



On 06/24/2018 08:42 AM, D wrote:

> Les,
>
> You say that you cannot enter a price manually. That is exceptional, as in not at all expected. What steps are you taking? When I try to enter a price, I have to select a commodity from the existing commodities first. If you cannot see your commodity on this list, then there is something wrong with the security in your Gnucash file.
>
> David
>
> On June 23, 2018, at 2:14 PM, Les <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> No, I hadn't thought of that.  However, I did a search for the company
> in question and could not find one.  The company only came into being on
> 05/18/2018 as a result of a spinout. Even when I try to get a quote
> manually using a terminal, there is no data.
>
> Les
> On 06/23/2018 04:30 AM, Graham Balin wrote:
>> On 22/06/2018 17:34, Les wrote:
>>> John:
>>>
>>> I never received your reply because for some reason, it ended up in
>>> my spam folder.
>>>
>>> I am not sure what you mean, but I cannot find the stock in question
>>> in Price Editor so I cannot check its prices.  I have selected to get
>>> quotes via AlphaVantage in Security Editor.
>>>
>>> At any rate, I cannot get prices or input a price manually.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Les
>> Have you tried using the ISIN number as an identifier?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Cheerio,
>>
>> Graham
>>
>>
>> ---
>> This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
>> https://www.avast.com/antivirus
>>
> _______________________________________________
> gnucash-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
> If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
> -----
> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.