[GNC] Still can't update price quotes

Elias K Gardner
I'm still getting the"" error when trying to update my price database. I
got an alpha advantage key, put it in gnucash, and updated my
Finance::Quote perl module to 1.47. At one point that seemed to sort of
work but now I just get the "" error. Most of my quotes are approaching a
year old. The absolute newest is from November 2018.

Any suggestions on what I can do? I've searched this list multiple times
already without luck. I fear that I broke something in one of my many
attempts to fix this over the past year. Maybe I should start fresh. I've
attempted to purge gnucash and reinstall but this does not seem to start
everything fresh and frankly purging perl is a little over my head without
clear guidance. Someday I'll reinstall ubuntu entirely (using 18.10 now, no
fresh install for a few years) but thats become a bigger and bigger chore.

I'm open to any suggestions. Much appreciated.
<[hidden email]>

Re: [GNC] Still can't update price quotes

Elias K Gardner
My apologies I left out the error, its:  "There was an unknown error while
retrieving the price quotes"

On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 10:32 AM Elias K Gardner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm still getting the"" error when trying to update my price database. I
> got an alpha advantage key, put it in gnucash, and updated my
> Finance::Quote perl module to 1.47. At one point that seemed to sort of
> work but now I just get the "" error. Most of my quotes are approaching a
> year old. The absolute newest is from November 2018.
>
> Any suggestions on what I can do? I've searched this list multiple times
> already without luck. I fear that I broke something in one of my many
> attempts to fix this over the past year. Maybe I should start fresh. I've
> attempted to purge gnucash and reinstall but this does not seem to start
> everything fresh and frankly purging perl is a little over my head without
> clear guidance. Someday I'll reinstall ubuntu entirely (using 18.10 now, no
> fresh install for a few years) but thats become a bigger and bigger chore.
>
> I'm open to any suggestions. Much appreciated.
> <[hidden email]>

Re: [GNC] Still can't update price quotes

John Ralls
Make sure that you have no securities using any yahoo source except yahoo_json (which BTW still works well and unlike alphavantage doesn't throttle). Any attempt to use the other yahoo sources will cause the entire retrieval to fail.

> On Mar 7, 2019, at 7:34 AM, Elias K Gardner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> My apologies I left out the error, its:  "There was an unknown error while
> retrieving the price quotes"
>
> On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 10:32 AM Elias K Gardner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I'm still getting the"" error when trying to update my price database. I
>> got an alpha advantage key, put it in gnucash, and updated my
>> Finance::Quote perl module to 1.47. At one point that seemed to sort of
>> work but now I just get the "" error. Most of my quotes are approaching a
>> year old. The absolute newest is from November 2018.
>>
>> Any suggestions on what I can do? I've searched this list multiple times
>> already without luck. I fear that I broke something in one of my many
>> attempts to fix this over the past year. Maybe I should start fresh. I've
>> attempted to purge gnucash and reinstall but this does not seem to start
>> everything fresh and frankly purging perl is a little over my head without
>> clear guidance. Someday I'll reinstall ubuntu entirely (using 18.10 now, no
>> fresh install for a few years) but thats become a bigger and bigger chore.
>>
>> I'm open to any suggestions. Much appreciated.
>> <[hidden email]>

Re: [GNC] Still can't update price quotes

Elias K Gardner
Thanks John I just double checked all of my securities. They all either
have online quotes disabled or are set to alphavantage, no Yahoo left. Is
there a log or something to get more details about the error?

On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 10:59 AM John Ralls <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Make sure that you have no securities using any yahoo source except
> yahoo_json (which BTW still works well and unlike alphavantage doesn't
> throttle). Any attempt to use the other yahoo sources will cause the entire
> retrieval to fail.

> > On Mar 7, 2019, at 7:34 AM, Elias K Gardner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > My apologies I left out the error, its:  "There was an unknown error
> while
> > retrieving the price quotes"
> >
> > On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 10:32 AM Elias K Gardner <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> I'm still getting the"" error when trying to update my price database. I
> >> got an alpha advantage key, put it in gnucash, and updated my
> >> Finance::Quote perl module to 1.47. At one point that seemed to sort of
> >> work but now I just get the "" error. Most of my quotes are approaching
> >> year old. The absolute newest is from November 2018.
> >>
> >> Any suggestions on what I can do? I've searched this list multiple times
> >> already without luck. I fear that I broke something in one of my many
> >> attempts to fix this over the past year. Maybe I should start fresh.
> I've
> >> attempted to purge gnucash and reinstall but this does not seem to start
> >> everything fresh and frankly purging perl is a little over my head
> without
> >> clear guidance. Someday I'll reinstall ubuntu entirely (using 18.10
> now, no
> >> fresh install for a few years) but thats become a bigger and bigger
> chore.
> >>
> >> I'm open to any suggestions. Much appreciated.
> >> <[hidden email]>

Re: [GNC] Still can't update price quotes

David Carlson-4
Elias,

Set the source to Single Yahoo as JSON.

That works for me.

David Carlson

On Thu, Mar 7, 2019, 11:18 PM Elias K Gardner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks John I just double checked all of my securities. They all either
> have online quotes disabled or are set to alphavantage, no Yahoo left. Is
> there a log or something to get more details about the error?
>
> On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 10:59 AM John Ralls <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Make sure that you have no securities using any yahoo source except
> > yahoo_json (which BTW still works well and unlike alphavantage doesn't
> > throttle). Any attempt to use the other yahoo sources will cause the
> entire
> > retrieval to fail.
> >
> > Regards,
> > John Ralls
> >

> > > On Mar 7, 2019, at 7:34 AM, Elias K Gardner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > My apologies I left out the error, its:  "There was an unknown error
> > while
> > > retrieving the price quotes"

> database. I
> of
> approaching

> times
> > I've
> start
> > without
> > now, no
> > chore.

> > > If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
> > https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
> > > -----

Re: [GNC] Still can't update price quotes

Unfortunately there are no logs.

Have you triple-checked that you have the Alphavantage API key set correctly?

To troubleshoot further first check that quote retrieval works at all: Try
  gnc-fq-dump alphavantage AAPL
from the command line. You'll probably need to specify a full path to gnc-fq-dump, and you'll need to set ALPHAVANTAGE_API_KEY in the environment. If that works try one of your own stocks (unless you hold Apple in which case you already have). If that works then disable quote retrieval on all but that stock inside of GnuCash and try to get prices. If that works then there's some security that's causing F::Q to blow up and you need to figure out which one.

The best way to do that is called "binary search": You disable half of the active ones and try. If that fails, disable half of the rest and try again. Keep doing that until it succeeds. At that point  reenable the most recent set that you disabled and disable the others. Keep doing that until you've found one security that fails. Re-enable all of the rest and try. If it fails then you need to repeat the process, perhaps several times, to find all of the securities that fail.

> On Mar 7, 2019, at 9:15 PM, Elias K Gardner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks John I just double checked all of my securities. They all either have online quotes disabled or are set to alphavantage, no Yahoo left. Is there a log or something to get more details about the error?
>
> On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 10:59 AM John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Make sure that you have no securities using any yahoo source except yahoo_json (which BTW still works well and unlike alphavantage doesn't throttle). Any attempt to use the other yahoo sources will cause the entire retrieval to fail.

> > On Mar 7, 2019, at 7:34 AM, Elias K Gardner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > My apologies I left out the error, its:  "There was an unknown error while
> > retrieving the price quotes"
> >
> > On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 10:32 AM Elias K Gardner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> I'm still getting the"" error when trying to update my price database. I
> >> got an alpha advantage key, put it in gnucash, and updated my
> >> Finance::Quote perl module to 1.47. At one point that seemed to sort of
> >> work but now I just get the "" error. Most of my quotes are approaching a
> >> year old. The absolute newest is from November 2018.
> >>
> >> Any suggestions on what I can do? I've searched this list multiple times
> >> already without luck. I fear that I broke something in one of my many
> >> attempts to fix this over the past year. Maybe I should start fresh. I've
> >> attempted to purge gnucash and reinstall but this does not seem to start
> >> everything fresh and frankly purging perl is a little over my head without
> >> clear guidance. Someday I'll reinstall ubuntu entirely (using 18.10 now, no
> >> fresh install for a few years) but thats become a bigger and bigger chore.
> >>
> >> I'm open to any suggestions. Much appreciated.
> >> <[hidden email]>

Re: [GNC] Still can't update price quotes

rmcasali
Hi,

I'm having the same problem. All source works with 'gnc-fq-dump', but
gnucash still giving error message "Unable to retrieve quotes for these
items:".

The last time I update the price quotes was 01st March, after that my
linux system update perl5 packages and I couldn't update any price
quotes anymore. I don't know with have some relation, but it was only
thing I saw different.

I hope it's helps to find out the problem.

Rafael Casali

On Fri, 2019-03-08 at 07:57 -0800, John Ralls wrote:

> Unfortunately there are no logs.
>
> Have you triple-checked that you have the Alphavantage API key set
> correctly?
>
> To troubleshoot further first check that quote retrieval works at
> all: Try
>   gnc-fq-dump alphavantage AAPL
> from the command line. You'll probably need to specify a full path to
> gnc-fq-dump, and you'll need to set ALPHAVANTAGE_API_KEY in the
> environment. If that works try one of your own stocks (unless you
> hold Apple in which case you already have). If that works then
> disable quote retrieval on all but that stock inside of GnuCash and
> try to get prices. If that works then there's some security that's
> causing F::Q to blow up and you need to figure out which one.
>
> The best way to do that is called "binary search": You disable half
> of the active ones and try. If that fails, disable half of the rest
> and try again. Keep doing that until it succeeds. At that
> point  reenable the most recent set that you disabled and disable the
> others. Keep doing that until you've found one security that fails.
> Re-enable all of the rest and try. If it fails then you need to
> repeat the process, perhaps several times, to find all of the
> securities that fail.

> > On Mar 7, 2019, at 9:15 PM, Elias K Gardner <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > Thanks John I just double checked all of my securities. They all
> > either have online quotes disabled or are set to alphavantage, no
> > Yahoo left. Is there a log or something to get more details about
> > the error?
> >
> > On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 10:59 AM John Ralls <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> > Make sure that you have no securities using any yahoo source except
> > yahoo_json (which BTW still works well and unlike alphavantage
> > doesn't throttle). Any attempt to use the other yahoo sources will
> > cause the entire retrieval to fail.
> >
> > Regards,
> > John Ralls
> >

> > > On Mar 7, 2019, at 7:34 AM, Elias K Gardner <[hidden email]>
> > > wrote:
> > >
> > > My apologies I left out the error, its:  "

> > > If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
> > > https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
> > > -----

Re: [GNC] Still can't update price quotes

How many quotes are you attempting to retrieve? If it's more than five, you're likely to run into Alphavantage's throttling. That is a major reason why many users switched onward to Yahoo-json.

David

On March 8, 2019, at 11:25 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

Hi,

I'm having the same problem. All source works with 'gnc-fq-dump', but
gnucash still giving error message "Unable to retrieve quotes for these
items:".

The last time I update the price quotes was 01st March, after that my
linux system update perl5 packages and I couldn't update any price
quotes anymore. I don't know with have some relation, but it was only
thing I saw different.

I hope it's helps to find out the problem.

Rafael Casali

On Fri, 2019-03-08 at 07:57 -0800, John Ralls wrote:

> Unfortunately there are no logs.
>
> Have you triple-checked that you have the Alphavantage API key set
> correctly?
>
> To troubleshoot further first check that quote retrieval works at
> all: Try
>   gnc-fq-dump alphavantage AAPL
> from the command line. You'll probably need to specify a full path to
> gnc-fq-dump, and you'll need to set ALPHAVANTAGE_API_KEY in the
> environment. If that works try one of your own stocks (unless you
> hold Apple in which case you already have). If that works then
> disable quote retrieval on all but that stock inside of GnuCash and
> try to get prices. If that works then there's some security that's
> causing F::Q to blow up and you need to figure out which one.
>
> The best way to do that is called "binary search": You disable half
> of the active ones and try. If that fails, disable half of the rest
> and try again. Keep doing that until it succeeds. At that
> point  reenable the most recent set that you disabled and disable the
> others. Keep doing that until you've found one security that fails.
> Re-enable all of the rest and try. If it fails then you need to
> repeat the process, perhaps several times, to find all of the
> securities that fail.

> > On Mar 7, 2019, at 9:15 PM, Elias K Gardner <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > Thanks John I just double checked all of my securities. They all
> > either have online quotes disabled or are set to alphavantage, no
> > Yahoo left. Is there a log or something to get more details about
> > the error?
> >
> > On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 10:59 AM John Ralls <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> > Make sure that you have no securities using any yahoo source except
> > yahoo_json (which BTW still works well and unlike alphavantage
> > doesn't throttle). Any attempt to use the other yahoo sources will
> > cause the entire retrieval to fail.
> >
> > Regards,
> > John Ralls
> >

> > > On Mar 7, 2019, at 7:34 AM, Elias K Gardner <[hidden email]>
> > > wrote:
> > >
> > > My apologies I left out the error, its:  "

> > > If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
> > > https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
> > > -----

Re: [GNC] Still can't update price quotes

Elias K Gardner
I think I tracked it down. First gnc-fq-dump alphavantage APPL returns
"This stock quote cannot be used by GnuCash!". Next I tried gnc-fq-dump
yahoo-json APPL and go the same error, however if I use yahoo_json with a
stock in my gnucash price database it correctly gives me the price. I have
a number of stocks so on David's advice I switch all of my stocks to
yahoo-json, tried to get quotes and got the same "There was an unknown
error while retrieving the price quotes". I then looked at each security
closer and found one that seemed odd and disabled it. I no longer get the
unknown error and my prices are up to date.

Thank you all

On Fri, Mar 8, 2019 at 1:18 PM D <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > John Ralls
> >

> > > On Mar 7, 2019, at 9:15 PM, Elias K Gardner <[hidden email]>
> > > wrote:
> > >
> > > Thanks John I just double checked all of my securities. They all
> > > either have online quotes disabled or are set to alphavantage, no
> > > Yahoo left. Is there a log or something to get more details about
> > > the error?
> > >
> > > On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 10:59 AM John Ralls <
> > > [hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Make sure that you have no securities using any yahoo source except
> > > yahoo_json (which BTW still works well and unlike alphavantage
> > > doesn't throttle). Any attempt to use the other yahoo sources will
> > > cause the entire retrieval to fail.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > John Ralls

> > https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.

Re: [GNC] Still can't update price quotes

GnuCash - User mailing list
Glad you got it sorted. Out of curiosity, when you say one entry was "odd," what did you mean?
Just a note: there is no ticker symbol APPL; the symbol for Apple is AAPL. So, if you tried actually with APPL, you naturally won't get results.
David

  On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 8:53, Elias K Gardner<[hidden email]> wrote:   I think I tracked it down. First gnc-fq-dump alphavantage APPL returns "This stock quote cannot be used by GnuCash!". Next I tried gnc-fq-dump yahoo-json APPL and go the same error, however if I use yahoo_json with a stock in my gnucash price database it correctly gives me the price. I have a number of stocks so on David's advice I switch all of my stocks to yahoo-json, tried to get quotes and got the same "There was an unknown error while retrieving the price quotes". I then looked at each security closer and found one that seemed odd and disabled it. I no longer get the unknown error and my prices are up to date.