[GNC] Split transaction: more than two off-setting accounts

[GNC] Split transaction: more than two off-setting accounts

Rich Shepard
When I enter a mortgage payment I credit the checking account and have three
off-setting debit accounts: principal, interest, and escrow.

The split transaction button opens only two rows so I enter the checking
account credit and the principal amount debit, then close the transaction
and re-open it to enter interest and escrow.

Is there a way to open the split with more than two data entry rows? If not
I'll just continue doing what I have been, but would like to avoid
closing/re-opening the transaction if there is a way to do so.

Regards,

Rich

Re: [GNC] Split transaction: more than two off-setting accounts

Christian Kluge
Am 13.04.2019 um 20:37 schrieb Rich Shepard:

> Is there a way to open the split with more than two data entry rows? If not
> I'll just continue doing what I have been, but would like to avoid
> closing/re-opening the transaction if there is a way to do so.

Just change the values in the debit and credit columns.

As long as the sums of debit and credit don’t match you can add further
entries.

Kind regards

Christian Kluge

On Sat, 13 Apr 2019, Christian Kluge wrote:

> Just change the values in the debit and credit columns.
> As long as the sums of debit and credit don’t match you can add further
> entries.

Christian,

That works as long as there are available rows. Two are the default so when
I want to add two more rows closing and re-opening the transaction presents
an imbalance row and another one. This provides the needed space. I've not
found a way to add more rows when that transaction is on the bottom of the
gnucash window.

When the transaction is saved and a new pair of rows is displayed, clicking
on the split transaction does display a new, blank row.

Am 13.04.2019 um 21:10 schrieb Rich Shepard:

> On Sat, 13 Apr 2019, Christian Kluge wrote:
>
>> Just change the values in the debit and credit columns.
>> As long as the sums of debit and credit don’t match you can add further
>> entries.
>
> That works as long as there are available rows. Two are the default so when
> I want to add two more rows closing and re-opening the transaction presents
> an imbalance row and another one. This provides the needed space. I've not
> found a way to add more rows when that transaction is on the bottom of the
> gnucash window.
>
> When the transaction is saved and a new pair of rows is displayed, clicking
> on the split transaction does display a new, blank row.

You can change Imbalance to any account to any account you like.

If you don’t exit the transaction beforehand this account also won’t be
set up in your CoA.

The other solution could be to switch to full transaction view for every
transaction.

There you always have a final empty line.

Kind regards

Christian KLuge

Re: [GNC] Split transaction: more than two off-setting accounts

Derek Atkins-3
Rich,

On Sat, April 13, 2019 3:10 pm, Rich Shepard wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Apr 2019, Christian Kluge wrote:
>
>> Just change the values in the debit and credit columns.
>> As long as the sums of debit and credit don’t match you can add further
>> entries.
>
> Christian,
>
> That works as long as there are available rows. Two are the default so
> when
> I want to add two more rows closing and re-opening the transaction
> presents
> an imbalance row and another one. This provides the needed space. I've not
> found a way to add more rows when that transaction is on the bottom of the
> gnucash window.
>
> When the transaction is saved and a new pair of rows is displayed,
> clicking
> on the split transaction does display a new, blank row.

No need to do that.  Just tab off the second row (TAB off, don't hit
Enter/Return), and Gnucash will create a new row for you.  Enter that row.
 Tab off the end.  Poof -- another row.   Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Only hit Enter/Return when you are DONE with the whole shebang.

> Regards,
>
> Rich

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745

Re: [GNC] Split transaction: more than two off-setting accounts

David Carlson-4
Two other ways that could work  include a) tab after entering the
description might trigger auto complete into a full clone of the last
transaction  or b) use auto split ledger view or transaction journal view
.  Either of those methods add extra rows for additional split accounts.

David Carlson

On Sat, 13 Apr 2019, Derek Atkins wrote:

> No need to do that. Just tab off the second row (TAB off, don't hit
> Enter/Return), and Gnucash will create a new row for you. Enter that row.
> Tab off the end. Poof -- another row. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.
>
> Only hit Enter/Return when you are DONE with the whole shebang.

Derek,

Thank you. I did not see that in the user guide, nor became aware of using
the tab key by reading messages to the mail list.

That's a very useful capability.

Best regards,

Rich Shepard <[hidden email]> writes:

> Derek,
>
> Thank you. I did not see that in the user guide, nor became aware of using
> the tab key by reading messages to the mail list.

I am very surprised to hear this is not in the document.  I suspect it
is, but you missed it.  This feature has been around forever.

> That's a very useful capability.

Indeed.

> Best regards,
>
> Rich

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745

Re: [GNC] Split transaction: more than two off-setting accounts

Adrien Monteleone-2
It’s there, section 6.2 There is a big special “Note” in the middle of the page explaining Enter vs. Tab functionality with respect to transactions and additional split lines. The remaining info in that section should make the process pretty clear.