[GNC] Sorting accounts

Matthew Andrews
Hello everyone,

GnuCash has been working well for me, but it's beginning to get
cumbersome to look at.  My accounts seem to just appear in the order I
created them, which was just as they were needed.  It would be a lot
easier to read, for example, if I could put all my expenses in
alphabetical order.  Any suggestions on how to organize the accounts?  I
have a tree structure, but when they're on the same level, how do I
change the order they appear?

Thanks!

~Matthew

Re: [GNC] Sorting accounts

Gregory Forster-2
Hi Matthew,

I created my account first  numerically: 10000 - Assets, 20000 -
Liabilities, 30000 - Equity, 40000 - Income, 50000 - Expense.

10100 - Current Assets; 10110 - Checking Account, 10120 - Savings
Account, 10130 - Money Market, 10140 - Investments (10141 - IRAs, 10142
- Mutual Funds, 10143 - Stocks), etc.

10200 - Real Property

10300 - Vehicles

10400 - Equipment

10500 - Furniture and Fixtures

20100 - Current Liabilities; 20110 - Auto Loan, 20120 - Machinery loan, etc.

20200 - Long Term Liabilities; 20210 - Building Mortgage, etc.

Remember to post each account when you create or edit it to  its parent
account. Each sub-account posts to the parent account.
For example. 50000  - Expenses; 50100 - Insurance; 50110  - Auto
Insurance; 50111 - F-150, etc.
50000 - Expenses; 50200 - Utilities; 50210 - Electric, 50220 - Gas, etc.

On 3/29/2019 9:39 AM, Matthew Andrews wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> GnuCash has been working well for me, but it's beginning to get
> cumbersome to look at.  My accounts seem to just appear in the order I
> created them, which was just as they were needed.  It would be a lot
> easier to read, for example, if I could put all my expenses in
> alphabetical order.  Any suggestions on how to organize the accounts?
> I have a tree structure, but when they're on the same level, how do I
> change the order they appear?
>
> Thanks!
>

> ~Matthew

Gregory Forster
414-774-9208
414-852-3109 (Cell)
[hidden email]

---

Re: [GNC] Sorting accounts

Or, you could use the account numbering field...

I was under the impression that you could click on the account name heading in the Chart of Accounts, and it would sort by that column. Not being at my machine right now, I can't confirm that, though.

David

On March 29, 2019, at 9:01 PM, Gregory Forster <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Matthew,

I created my account first  numerically: 10000 - Assets, 20000 -
Liabilities, 30000 - Equity, 40000 - Income, 50000 - Expense.

10100 - Current Assets; 10110 - Checking Account, 10120 - Savings
Account, 10130 - Money Market, 10140 - Investments (10141 - IRAs, 10142
- Mutual Funds, 10143 - Stocks), etc.

10200 - Real Property

10300 - Vehicles

10400 - Equipment

10500 - Furniture and Fixtures

20100 - Current Liabilities; 20110 - Auto Loan, 20120 - Machinery loan, etc.

20200 - Long Term Liabilities; 20210 - Building Mortgage, etc.

Remember to post each account when you create or edit it to  its parent
account. Each sub-account posts to the parent account.
For example. 50000  - Expenses; 50100 - Insurance; 50110  - Auto
Insurance; 50111 - F-150, etc.
50000 - Expenses; 50200 - Utilities; 50210 - Electric, 50220 - Gas, etc.

On 3/29/2019 9:39 AM, Matthew Andrews wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> GnuCash has been working well for me, but it's beginning to get
> cumbersome to look at.  My accounts seem to just appear in the order I
> created them, which was just as they were needed.  It would be a lot
> easier to read, for example, if I could put all my expenses in
> alphabetical order.  Any suggestions on how to organize the accounts?
> I have a tree structure, but when they're on the same level, how do I
> change the order they appear?
>
> Thanks!
>

> ~Matthew

Gregory Forster
414-774-9208
414-852-3109 (Cell)
[hidden email]

---

Re: [GNC] Sorting accounts

Michael or Penny Novack
On 3/29/2019 10:39 AM, Matthew Andrews wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> GnuCash has been working well for me, but it's beginning to get
> cumbersome to look at.  My accounts seem to just appear in the order I
> created them, which was just as they were needed.  It would be a lot
> easier to read, for example, if I could put all my expenses in
> alphabetical order.  Any suggestions on how to organize the accounts?
> I have a tree structure, but when they're on the same level, how do I
> change the order they appear?
>
> Thanks!
>
> ~Matthew
Rename them with a prefix that will serve to specify the collating
order. As indicated in a response you already received, this could be
numeric. But it doesn't have to be. Whatever you use, think ahead, so
that you will have enough "levels" (within the prefix) to handle nesting.

Michael

Re: [GNC] Sorting accounts

Colin Law
Click on the the Account Name column heading in the Accounts tab and
they will be sorted alphabetically (within the tree structure).

Colin

On Fri, 29 Mar 2019 at 14:42, Matthew Andrews
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> GnuCash has been working well for me, but it's beginning to get
> cumbersome to look at.  My accounts seem to just appear in the order I
> created them, which was just as they were needed.  It would be a lot
> easier to read, for example, if I could put all my expenses in
> alphabetical order.  Any suggestions on how to organize the accounts?  I
> have a tree structure, but when they're on the same level, how do I
> change the order they appear?
>
> Thanks!
>

> ~Matthew

Re: [GNC] Sorting accounts

Matthew Andrews
Clicking on the column header worked to put them in alphabetical order!
That's a big improvement! Thank you!

I was thinking there would be a way to do it with the account code.
When I right click on an account, and select "edit account" there's a
field called "Account code."  That's where I've been putting numbers,
assuming I would be able to use them to make a custom sort.  Am I
misunderstanding what that is for?

I see that I could use some alpha-numeric system in the account name to
get a custom sort, but I prefer the simple look of just having the name
displayed.

For example, under expenses, I may want the two or three largest and
most active accounts at the top of the list, and the other small or
inactive expense accounts below in alphabetical order.

~Matthew

On 3/29/19 12:19 PM, Colin Law wrote:

> Click on the the Account Name column heading in the Accounts tab and
> they will be sorted alphabetically (within the tree structure).
>
> Colin
>
> On Fri, 29 Mar 2019 at 14:42, Matthew Andrews
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> GnuCash has been working well for me, but it's beginning to get
>> cumbersome to look at.  My accounts seem to just appear in the order I
>> created them, which was just as they were needed.  It would be a lot
>> easier to read, for example, if I could put all my expenses in
>> alphabetical order.  Any suggestions on how to organize the accounts?  I
>> have a tree structure, but when they're on the same level, how do I
>> change the order they appear?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

>> ~Matthew

Re: [GNC] Sorting accounts

Colin Law
Make the account code visible by clicking in the little down arrow at
the right hand end of the headings in the accounts tab, and select
that field.  Then you can sort on it.

On Fri, 29 Mar 2019 at 17:10, Matthew Andrews
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Clicking on the column header worked to put them in alphabetical order!
> That's a big improvement! Thank you!
>
> I was thinking there would be a way to do it with the account code.
> When I right click on an account, and select "edit account" there's a
> field called "Account code."  That's where I've been putting numbers,
> assuming I would be able to use them to make a custom sort.  Am I
> misunderstanding what that is for?
>
> I see that I could use some alpha-numeric system in the account name to
> get a custom sort, but I prefer the simple look of just having the name
> displayed.
>
> For example, under expenses, I may want the two or three largest and
> most active accounts at the top of the list, and the other small or
> inactive expense accounts below in alphabetical order.
>

> ~Matthew
>

> On 3/29/19 12:19 PM, Colin Law wrote:
> > Click on the the Account Name column heading in the Accounts tab and
> > they will be sorted alphabetically (within the tree structure).
> >
> > Colin
> >
> > On Fri, 29 Mar 2019 at 14:42, Matthew Andrews
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Hello everyone,
> >>
> >> GnuCash has been working well for me, but it's beginning to get
> >> cumbersome to look at.  My accounts seem to just appear in the order I
> >> created them, which was just as they were needed.  It would be a lot
> >> easier to read, for example, if I could put all my expenses in
> >> alphabetical order.  Any suggestions on how to organize the accounts?  I
> >> have a tree structure, but when they're on the same level, how do I
> >> change the order they appear?
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >>

> >> ~Matthew

Re: [GNC] Sorting accounts

You can add the account number field to the Chart of Accounts display*, and then sort by that the same way. That's how I have it.

David

* - click the triangle at the right of the COA window to see the many different field you could display.