[GNC] Snap Package Manager

Les Elliott
Hello Everyone:

I am currently running LInux Mint 18.2 and GC 2.6.17 (the latest from
getdebs.net).

Recently, I was reading the Linux Mint blog which mentioned a new
package manager called Snap, described as a self-contained package
manager containing all dependencies.  I checked Synaptic and found Snapd
and installed it

I used Snapd to install a new (to me) web browser called Brave.  After
the installation completed, I went to applications but there was no
listing for Brave.  Not what I expected, but no big deal.

I then did a listing of Snap packages and found Gnucash 2.6.21 listed.

Assuming I try to install GC using Snap, would I need to uninstall GC
2.6.17 first?

Does anyone have experience with Snap?

Regards,

Les

Re: [GNC] Snap Package Manager

Ronal B Morse-2
I have very limited experience with SNAP on Ubuntu.  It's been generally
good, but not completely problem free. I have thought about trying to
create a SNAP for GnuCash 3.0, but first I'll have to get it to build
cleanly in the native environment, something has so far eluded me.

As I understand it, applications installed as a SNAP package are
self-contained and sandboxed.  So, in theory, a SNAP of GnuCash should
install alongside an existing version from repository and never the
'twain shall meet.

In reality -- I don't know.  But I know one way to find out...

Backups, I think would be the order of the day if anyone is going to
pursue this.

Ron Morse

On 04/16/2018 07:51 AM, Les wrote:

> Hello Everyone:
>
> I am currently running LInux Mint 18.2 and GC 2.6.17 (the latest from
> getdebs.net).
>
> Recently, I was reading the Linux Mint blog which mentioned a new
> package manager called Snap, described as a self-contained package
> manager containing all dependencies.  I checked Synaptic and found Snapd
> and installed it
>
> I used Snapd to install a new (to me) web browser called Brave.  After
> the installation completed, I went to applications but there was no
> listing for Brave.  Not what I expected, but no big deal.
>
> I then did a listing of Snap packages and found Gnucash 2.6.21 listed.
>
> Assuming I try to install GC using Snap, would I need to uninstall GC
> 2.6.17 first?
>
> Does anyone have experience with Snap?
>
> Regards,
>
> Les

Re: [GNC] Snap Package Manager

Les Elliott
Thanks for the reply Ron.  FWIW, I backup everyday.  If I decide to try
a Snap install, I will create a new backup file with a new file name.

Regards,

Les

On 04/16/2018 12:12 PM, Ronal B Morse wrote:

> I have very limited experience with SNAP on Ubuntu.  It's been
> generally good, but not completely problem free. I have thought about
> trying to create a SNAP for GnuCash 3.0, but first I'll have to get it
> to build cleanly in the native environment, something has so far
> eluded me.
>
> As I understand it, applications installed as a SNAP package are
> self-contained and sandboxed.  So, in theory, a SNAP of GnuCash should
> install alongside an existing version from repository and never the
> 'twain shall meet.
>
> In reality -- I don't know.  But I know one way to find out...
>
> Backups, I think would be the order of the day if anyone is going to
> pursue this.
>
> Ron Morse
>

> On 04/16/2018 07:51 AM, Les wrote:
>> Hello Everyone:
>>
>> I am currently running LInux Mint 18.2 and GC 2.6.17 (the latest from
>> getdebs.net).
>>
>> Recently, I was reading the Linux Mint blog which mentioned a new
>> package manager called Snap, described as a self-contained package
>> manager containing all dependencies.  I checked Synaptic and found Snapd
>> and installed it
>>
>> I used Snapd to install a new (to me) web browser called Brave.  After
>> the installation completed, I went to applications but there was no
>> listing for Brave.  Not what I expected, but no big deal.
>>
>> I then did a listing of Snap packages and found Gnucash 2.6.21 listed.
>>
>> Assuming I try to install GC using Snap, would I need to uninstall GC
>> 2.6.17 first?
>>
>> Does anyone have experience with Snap?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Les

Re: [GNC] Snap Package Manager

Fross, Michael
While I've installed some SNAPS on my Ubuntu machine, I've not used them
extensively.  Would a SNAP distribution of GNC allow a binary release for
all distros without having to wait for the package maintainers to update
their repositories?

That would sure be nice.....

Michael

On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 12:29 PM, Les <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply Ron.  FWIW, I backup everyday.  If I decide to try
> a Snap install, I will create a new backup file with a new file name.
>
> Regards,
>
> Les
>

> On 04/16/2018 12:12 PM, Ronal B Morse wrote:
> > I have very limited experience with SNAP on Ubuntu.  It's been
> > generally good, but not completely problem free. I have thought about
> > trying to create a SNAP for GnuCash 3.0, but first I'll have to get it
> > to build cleanly in the native environment, something has so far
> > eluded me.
> >
> > As I understand it, applications installed as a SNAP package are
> > self-contained and sandboxed.  So, in theory, a SNAP of GnuCash should
> > install alongside an existing version from repository and never the
> > 'twain shall meet.
> >
> > In reality -- I don't know.  But I know one way to find out...
> >
> > Backups, I think would be the order of the day if anyone is going to
> > pursue this.
> >
> > Ron Morse
> >

> > On 04/16/2018 07:51 AM, Les wrote:
> >> Hello Everyone:
> >>
> >> I am currently running LInux Mint 18.2 and GC 2.6.17 (the latest from
> >> getdebs.net).
> >>
> >> Recently, I was reading the Linux Mint blog which mentioned a new
> >> package manager called Snap, described as a self-contained package
> >> manager containing all dependencies.  I checked Synaptic and found Snapd
> >> and installed it
> >>
> >> I used Snapd to install a new (to me) web browser called Brave.  After
> >> the installation completed, I went to applications but there was no
> >> listing for Brave.  Not what I expected, but no big deal.
> >>
> >> I then did a listing of Snap packages and found Gnucash 2.6.21 listed.
> >>
> >> Assuming I try to install GC using Snap, would I need to uninstall GC
> >> 2.6.17 first?
> >>
> >> Does anyone have experience with Snap?
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Les

> >> If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
> >> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
> >> -----

> > https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.

Re: [GNC] Snap Package Manager

Les Elliott
Hi Michael:

It certainly would be nice to have another source for new releases of
gnucash.

I have just discovered Snap and have mixed "feelings" about it.  I tried
one install which resulted in no new application.

The information on GC 2.6.21 from the find gnucash reveals:

Name        Version  Developer  Notes  Summary
gnucash-jz  2.6.21a  jz         -      GnuCash is personal and
small-business financial-accounting software

I don't know what the "a" at the end of 2.6.21 means.

At the end of day, I will create a new backup file with a new name and
try an install.  I will post my results.

Regards,

Op maandag 16 april 2018 20:13:30 CEST schreef Fross, Michael:
> While I've installed some SNAPS on my Ubuntu machine, I've not used them
> extensively.  Would a SNAP distribution of GNC allow a binary release for
> all distros without having to wait for the package maintainers to update
> their repositories?
>
> That would sure be nice.....

In theory yes.

However unless the gnucash project integrates the release of snap packages
into its release process you still end up "waiting for a package maintainer to
update their repository". You can see snap as just another platform with their
repository (with the added advantage it should cover more distributions). And
this is by no means meant as criticism to any package maintainer (snap or true
distro). I'm grateful they are volunteering their time for packaging our
project!

In addition the battle of the "distro independent package format" hasn't
settled yet. Ubuntu seems to favor snaps, fedora on the other hand prefers
flatpak. And I thought there were a for additional competing formats... So if
we want to support it straight from our own release process we would currently
have to add at least 2 more platforms to our release list.

As other people are currently volunteering to do this for us, I don't see this
as a priority within the project. However I do think there would be value in
it in the long term as it would also allow us to more easily provide nightly
builds for linux distributions where currently we can only offer them for
Windows.

Re: [GNC] Snap Package Manager

Les Elliott
After creating a new saved file, I tried installing GC 2.6.21 using
Snap.  When I entered "snap install gnucash" I received a message "no
gnucash found"!

So much for snap, at least for now.

Regards,

Les

> [...]

>     >> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>     >> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
>     >
>     > gnucash-user mailing list
>     > To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
>     > If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
>     > https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists
>     <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists> for more information.
>     > -----
>     > Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>     > You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

>     If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
>     https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists
>     <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists> for more information.
>     -----
>     Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>     You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

Colin Law
$ snap find gnucash
Name        Version  Developer  Notes  Summary
gnucash-jz  2.6.21a  jz         -      GnuCash is personal and
small-business financial-accounting software

So it is called gnucash-jz

Colin

On 17 April 2018 at 10:27, Les <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >     >
> >     > _______________________________________________
> >     > gnucash-user mailing list
> >     > [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> >     > To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
> >     > If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
> >     > https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists
> >     <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists> for more information.
> >     > -----
> >     > Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
> >     > You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

> >     If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
> >     https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists
> >     <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists> for more information.
> >     -----
> >     Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
> >     You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

Thanks Colin.  Sheer genius!  How could I have overlooked the obvious?

Installed without a hitch.

Regards,

Les