[GNC] Smarter dating of account reconcile

[GNC] Smarter dating of account reconcile

GnuCash - User mailing list
It's be smart if, when I hit the reconcile button, it selected the date of
the 1) oldest transaction 2) not in the future 3) n set to c or y.  After
all, one cannot hope to reconcile the future, and why set the reconcile date
any later than the last included transaction?

Re: [GNC] Smarter dating of account reconcile

Geert Janssens-4
Op maandag 4 februari 2019 18:19:24 CET schreef DGPickett via gnucash-user:
> It's be smart if, when I hit the reconcile button, it selected the date of
> the 1) oldest transaction 2) not in the future 3) n set to c or y.  After
> all, one cannot hope to reconcile the future, and why set the reconcile date
> any later than the last included transaction?

Why? Because reconciling normally happens against a bank statement and the
reconcile date should be the bank statement's date which is not necessarily
the date of the last included transaction.

The current algorithm will calculate the number of days between the last and
second to last reconcile and will project that period to guess the next
statement date (and this logic has a couple of flaws so even this doesn't work
reliably). This of course assumes bank statements are provided at regular
intervals. That may be a completely flawed assumption, but now at least you
know how it currently works.

Re: [GNC] Smarter dating of account reconcile

GnuCash - User mailing list
 The statement date is also in the past, so the default date is pretty much never right.  In a busy account, my date would match.  While the statement date might be later than the last included transaction, there is no value in the later date, since no transactions exist in the intervening time span.

I date my checking transactions to the check date, not the clearing date, as that is the earliest date for the life of that check.

I guess you are presenting some sort of CPA religion argument on dates in books, accounts.  I just want fewer motions in the process.

Op maandag 4 februari 2019 18:19:24 CET schreef DGPickett via gnucash-user:
> It's be smart if, when I hit the reconcile button, it selected the date of
> the 1) oldest transaction 2) not in the future 3) n set to c or y.  After
> all, one cannot hope to reconcile the future, and why set the reconcile date
> any later than the last included transaction?

Why? Because reconciling normally happens against a bank statement and the
reconcile date should be the bank statement's date which is not necessarily
the date of the last included transaction.

The current algorithm will calculate the number of days between the last and
second to last reconcile and will project that period to guess the next
statement date (and this logic has a couple of flaws so even this doesn't work
reliably). This of course assumes bank statements are provided at regular
intervals. That may be a completely flawed assumption, but now at least you
know how it currently works.

Re: [GNC] Smarter dating of account reconcile

Dale Alspach-2
> 1) oldest transaction 2) not in the future 3) n set to c or y.
The oldest transaction would presumably be the first transaction in the
account so I assume you mean the most recent transaction.
If someone does not frequently mark transactions c or y, the date you are
advocating could be as early as the previous reconcile date. Think of
someone who examines the transactions only when a new statement is received.
In my case what you are advocating would almost always be wrong. Currently
the software usually suggests the same day of the next month after the
previous reconcile. That is often the correct statement date for my
accounts.

Dale

On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 1:23 PM David G. Pickett via gnucash-user <
[hidden email]> wrote:

>  The statement date is also in the past, so the default date is pretty
> much never right.  In a busy account, my date would match.  While the
> statement date might be later than the last included transaction, there is
> no value in the later date, since no transactions exist in the intervening
> time span.
>
> I date my checking transactions to the check date, not the clearing date,
> as that is the earliest date for the life of that check.
>
> I guess you are presenting some sort of CPA religion argument on dates in
> books, accounts.  I just want fewer motions in the process.

On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 1:22 PM David G. Pickett via gnucash-user <
[hidden email]> wrote:

>  The statement date is also in the past, so the default date is pretty
> much never right.  In a busy account, my date would match.  While the
> statement date might be later than the last included transaction, there is
> no value in the later date, since no transactions exist in the intervening
> time span.
>
> I date my checking transactions to the check date, not the clearing date,
> as that is the earliest date for the life of that check.
>
> I guess you are presenting some sort of CPA religion argument on dates in
> books, accounts.  I just want fewer motions in the process.

I do not see how the dates that are associated with any transactions are
useful in predicting the date of the next unreconciled statement beyond
possibly if there happens to be no unreconciled transactions with a posting
date before the predicted reconcile date the program might ask the user if
[s]he really wants to use that reconcile date.  That seems to me to be a
very weak reason to complicate things for the user.

If you are talking about whether to display 'new' unreconciled transactions
dated after the reconcile date in the reconcile dialog, it just seems very
easy to ignore them while reconciling and occasionally one of them should
have had an earlier date if the user forgot to backdate a missed
transaction when it was finally entered.

Since most banks post statements monthly on either the same date or very
close, it works fine for me as is except for the fourth month in
non-leap-years for some crazy reason.

David Carlson

Re: [GNC] Smarter dating of account reconcile

Sorry, newest not oldest!

Liz

Re: [GNC] Smarter dating of account reconcile

Liz
On Mon, 4 Feb 2019 11:19:24 -0600 (CST)
DGPickett via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's be smart if, when I hit the reconcile button, it selected the
> date of the 1) oldest transaction 2) not in the future 3) n set to c
> or y.  After all, one cannot hope to reconcile the future, and why
> set the reconcile date any later than the last included transaction?

If you want to have something like this, you can go to Bugzilla, enter
it as a "Request for Enhancement"
and feel free to code it ;)

Liz