[GNC] Security Currencies

GnuCash - User mailing list
I am still having problems with security currencies.  I have a security
with several transactions entered, which I only now realized has the
wrong currency (CHF instead of USD).

This was really annoying as I had to first devise a report to extract
the needed information from the security before deleting it, all
relevant prices, transactions and accounts.

The first price entry was from F::Q in USD, but apparently the security
nonetheless acquired my default currency (CHF) because I entered the
first transaction in the security's account instead of a USD account.

Can't GC at least take a security's currency from the Price Editor?

This could:
1. support more intuitive operation

2. reduce the incidence of such errors

3. provide a means of correcting them

Re: [GNC] Security Currencies

John Ralls-2

> On Feb 13, 2019, at 2:18 AM, rsbrux via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I am still having problems with security currencies.  I have a security with several transactions entered, which I only now realized has the wrong currency (CHF instead of USD).
>
> This was really annoying as I had to first devise a report to extract the needed information from the security before deleting it, all relevant prices, transactions and accounts.
>
> The first price entry was from F::Q in USD, but apparently the security nonetheless acquired my default currency (CHF) because I entered the first transaction in the security's account instead of a USD account.
>
> Can't GC at least take a security's currency from the Price Editor?
>
> This could:
> 1. support more intuitive operation
>
> 2. reduce the incidence of such errors
>
> 3. provide a means of correcting them

Securities don't have currencies. Accounts denominated in securities (or more generally in non-currency commodities) have an association with the nearest parent account denominated in a currency, so perhaps the solution to your problem is to create a "US Investments" Asset placeholder account somewhere and move the account that's giving you trouble under it.

If not, please tell us what the problem is.

Re: [GNC] Security Currencies

GnuCash - User mailing list

On 14.02.19 02:33, John Ralls wrote:
> Securities don't have currencies.
Had I only known, I could have fixed my problem much more easily! ;-)
> Accounts denominated in securities (or more generally in non-currency commodities) have an association with the nearest parent account denominated in a currency, so perhaps the solution to your problem is to create a "US Investments" Asset placeholder account somewhere and move the account that's giving you trouble under it.

This is good advice, which I should have followed all along.  To
simplify the account structure I have been attempting to use the second
alternative mentioned in
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Stocks/add_stock#Stocks_noted_in_foreign_currency,
instead of the first, which you recommend above.  However, I often
forget to start my security transactions in a bank account.  It seems
much more natural to start them in a securities account, where the
fields for quantity and price are visible.  I have therefore reorganized
my accounts per your suggestion and expect that I will have no further
problems with this

Thanks for the tip!