[GNC] Search within search not opening new tab

[GNC] Search within search not opening new tab

Steve Kelem-3
I have thousands of entries for my credit card that were miscategorized as going to my checking account instead of the categories that should have been associated.

I used Search to find all mentions of the checking account made from the credit card account. This opens a Search Results tab with all those transactions.

If I then search within those results, the new search results /replace/ the Search Results tab instead of opening a new Search Results tab. I've tried changing the "Type of search" to "New search" and "Refine current search". But they both replace the Search Results tab.

Is there a way to force it to open a new Search Results tab? It's tedious to have to select the search account every time...on the order of 30 seconds /each/ time!

Thanks,
Steve

GnuCash Version: 3.4
Build ID: 3.4+ (2018-12-30)
Finance::Quote: 1.47

Re: [GNC] Search within search not opening new tab

David Carlson-4
If you have thousands of transactions that were mis-categorized, it would
probably be easier to start over, importing in small bunches first to train
the importer.  I am not sure about the behavior of the search function, I
think it has worked that same way for years.

David Carlson

On Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 7:36 PM Steve Kelem <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have thousands of entries for my credit card that were miscategorized as
> going to my checking account instead of the categories that should have
> been associated.
>
> I used Search to find all mentions of the checking account made from the
> credit card account. This opens a Search Results tab with all those
> transactions.
>
> If I then search within those results, the new search results /replace/
> the Search Results tab instead of opening a new Search Results tab. I've
> tried changing the "Type of search" to "New search" and "Refine current
> search". But they both replace the Search Results tab.
>
> Is there a way to force it to open a new Search Results tab? It's tedious
> to have to select the search account every time...on the order of 30
> seconds /each/ time!
>
> Thanks,
> Steve
>
> GnuCash Version: 3.4
> Build ID: 3.4+ (2018-12-30)
> Finance::Quote: 1.47

David Carlson

Re: [GNC] Search within search not opening new tab

I haven't tried this, but...

Perhaps in this situation, barring a restart, you could use the transaction report, using the credit card as the source and the checking as a filter by account. This could further be refined by description, or sorted in a way that could ease the editing burden.

David T.

On October 23, 2019, at 6:28 AM, David Carlson <[hidden email]> wrote:

If you have thousands of transactions that were mis-categorized, it would
probably be easier to start over, importing in small bunches first to train
the importer.  I am not sure about the behavior of the search function, I
think it has worked that same way for years.

David Carlson

On Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 7:36 PM Steve Kelem <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have thousands of entries for my credit card that were miscategorized as
> going to my checking account instead of the categories that should have
> been associated.
>
> I used Search to find all mentions of the checking account made from the
> credit card account. This opens a Search Results tab with all those
> transactions.
>
> If I then search within those results, the new search results /replace/
> the Search Results tab instead of opening a new Search Results tab. I've
> tried changing the "Type of search" to "New search" and "Refine current
> search". But they both replace the Search Results tab.
>
> Is there a way to force it to open a new Search Results tab? It's tedious
> to have to select the search account every time...on the order of 30
> seconds /each/ time!
>
> Thanks,
> Steve
>
> GnuCash Version: 3.4
> Build ID: 3.4+ (2018-12-30)
> Finance::Quote: 1.47

David Carlson

Re: [GNC] Search within search not opening new tab

I find searches tend to work best from the CoA tab. Often a register search doesn’t turn up known transactions that match my criteria.

You can use more than one criteria in a search.

If you want to keep a more broad search result open while you conduct a more narrow one, do the second search from the CoA tab again, *not* from the previous search results tab. (which would replace and refine, as you have discovered)

Note too, I just tested this on 3.7, so not sure how 3.4 performs there.

> On Oct 22, 2019 w43d295, at 7:15 PM, Steve Kelem <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have thousands of entries for my credit card that were miscategorized as going to my checking account instead of the categories that should have been associated.
>
> I used Search to find all mentions of the checking account made from the credit card account. This opens a Search Results tab with all those transactions.
>
> If I then search within those results, the new search results /replace/ the Search Results tab instead of opening a new Search Results tab. I've tried changing the "Type of search" to "New search" and "Refine current search". But they both replace the Search Results tab.
>
> Is there a way to force it to open a new Search Results tab? It's tedious to have to select the search account every time...on the order of 30 seconds /each/ time!
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

Re: [GNC] Search within search not opening new tab

Steve Kelem-3
Good idea. Unfortunately, the mis-categorization was over a period of years, so simple re-loading won't work. My question is about the Search Results tab being re-used instead of opening a new tab.

Steve

David Carlson wrote on 10/22/19 5:56 PM:

> If you have thousands of transactions that were mis-categorized, it would probably be easier to start over, importing in small bunches first to train the importer.  I am not sure about the behavior of the search function, I think it has worked that same way for years.
>
> David Carlson
>
> On Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 7:36 PM Steve Kelem <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     I have thousands of entries for my credit card that were miscategorized as going to my checking account instead of the categories that should have been associated.
>
>     I used Search to find all mentions of the checking account made from the credit card account. This opens a Search Results tab with all those transactions.
>
>     If I then search within those results, the new search results /replace/ the Search Results tab instead of opening a new Search Results tab. I've tried changing the "Type of search" to "New search" and "Refine current search". But they both replace the Search Results tab.
>
>     Is there a way to force it to open a new Search Results tab? It's tedious to have to select the search account every time...on the order of 30 seconds /each/ time!
>
>     Thanks,
>     Steve
>
>     GnuCash Version: 3.4
>     Build ID: 3.4+ (2018-12-30)
>     Finance::Quote: 1.47

>     Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>     You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
>

> --
> David Carlson

Re: [GNC] Search within search not opening new tab

Chart of Accounts. I believe the default name for the tab is simply “Accounts”. You can name it whatever you want though via, Actions > Rename Page.

Don’t forget to copy the list on all replies that way others can benefit from the discussion.