[GNC] Saving entries and storing it on desktop

[GNC] Saving entries and storing it on desktop

GnuCash - User mailing list
Please help. I have a new computer and need to put Gnucash on it and save it, so that I can use it throughout the year. I can download it, and I can set up an account for my small business, but when I go to save and close my entries, I don’t know what to do.

I entered a bunch of things earlier in the month, saved them, then went in last night and added new entries, but today I cannot find any of them.

In addition, what I have found so far is that I have to download Gnucash every time I want to use it, versus having it on my dock. That doesn’t seem right either.

Any help out there?

Marie Laper

Re: [GNC] Saving entries and storing it on desktop

Adrien Monteleone-2
Using a Mac?

You need to install the application (by copying it) to the /Applications folder on your system. Then launch it from /Applications, right-click the icon in the Dock and choose Options > Keep In Dock.

After you’ve saved your file. The next time you open it (from the dock) it will automatically open your previous file.

*DO NOT* attempt to run GnuCash (or any application really) from within the downloaded .dmg file. You might get lucky with certain apps, but probably won’t.

> On Jan 23, 2019, at 9:57 AM, Mazama Professional Services via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Please help. I have a new computer and need to put Gnucash on it and save it, so that I can use it throughout the year. I can download it, and I can set up an account for my small business, but when I go to save and close my entries, I don’t know what to do.
>
> I entered a bunch of things earlier in the month, saved them, then went in last night and added new entries, but today I cannot find any of them.
>
> In addition, what I have found so far is that I have to download Gnucash every time I want to use it, versus having it on my dock. That doesn’t seem right either.
>
> Any help out there?
>
> Marie Laper

Re: [GNC] Saving entries and storing it on desktop

David Cousens
Adrien,

This seems to come up fairly often. Any chance you could have a go at
improving the instructions on the Wiki
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/MacOS_Installation to make it a bit clearer
and perhaps include any changes relevant to more recent MacOS versions under
appropriate version headings. I was thinking of trawling through the recent
archives to have a go at it but it is possible better if a Mac user updates
it.

Re: [GNC] Saving entries and storing it on desktop

Adrien Monteleone-2
Certainly!

I also inquired in late December about creating a custom branded dmg window with the /Applications alias to drag onto like many other Mac apps have.

John gave me some links to get started, but unfortunately, that same day I got a large project dumped on my desk. (well, not unfortunate ‘cause it means more money, but unfortunate for this particular side-project with GnuCash)

I hope to have it ready for the 3.5 release.

That should reduce (I can’t expect ‘eliminate’) these topics.

But yes, I’ll see if the wiki can be spruced up in the meantime.

> On Jan 24, 2019, at 4:45 AM, David Cousens <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Adrien,
>
> This seems to come up fairly often. Any chance you could have a go at
> improving the instructions on the Wiki
> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/MacOS_Installation to make it a bit clearer
> and perhaps include any changes relevant to more recent MacOS versions under
> appropriate version headings. I was thinking of trawling through the recent
> archives to have a go at it but it is possible better if a Mac user updates
> it.
>
> David Cousens
>

> -----
> David Cousens

Re: [GNC] Saving entries and storing it on desktop

David,
I'm not convinced that the text on that page should be changed--and if it were, I'm not sure it would have helped.
David T.

  On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 16:17, David Cousens<[hidden email]> wrote:   Adrien,

This seems to come up fairly often. Any chance you could have a go at
improving the instructions on the Wiki
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/MacOS_Installation to make it a bit clearer
and perhaps include any changes relevant to more recent MacOS versions under
appropriate version headings. I was thinking of trawling through the recent
archives to have a go at it but it is possible better if a Mac user updates
it.

Re: [GNC] Saving entries and storing it on desktop

Adrien Monteleone-2
The current text is pretty straight forward.

I suppose an admonition not to run the gnucash.app from the .dmg folder might not hurt. I really suspect that has been the issue at least on the last two recent threads on this.

And perhaps a screenshot or two for those who don’t already understand Mac’s installation method? (could be simply new to MacOS)