[GNC] Saved report configurations

rmomxtx
Where are the saved report configurations kept. Apparently they are not part
of the GnuCash data file. I installed vs 3.4 on another computer to test it
and opened the data file transferred via USB. The saved report
configurations are not there. Found one file that may be where they are
stored, same name as the data file with the extension .LCK

Thanks,

Roger

Re: [GNC] Saved report configurations

John Ralls-2

It depends on what operating system and GnuCash version, see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Configuration_Locations.

Re: [GNC] Saved report configurations

rmomxtx
Version 2.6.17

I looked at the wiki and am not sure where to start. If possible, just need
to know:

What is the name of the file where the saved report configurations are
stored?
Should those saved configurations be available when I update versions?

Thanks,
Roger

> On Mar 19, 2019, at 9:33 AM, <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Where are the saved report configurations kept. Apparently they are
> not part of the GnuCash data file. I installed vs 3.4 on another
> computer to test it and opened the data file transferred via USB. The
> saved report configurations are not there. Found one file that may be
> where they are stored, same name as the data file with the extension
> .LCK

It depends on what operating system and GnuCash version, see
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Configuration_Locations.

Re: [GNC] Saved report configurations

Maf. King
On Tuesday, 19 March 2019 17:08:29 GMT [hidden email] wrote:
> Version 2.6.17
>
> I looked at the wiki and am not sure where to start. If possible, just need
> to know:
>
> What is the name of the file where the saved report configurations are
> stored?

saved-reports-2.4  ( I think)  In a folder that depends on you OS - use the
wiki to figure out what GNC_DATA_HOME is for you.

> Should those saved configurations be available when I update versions?

Yes.

> Thanks,
> Roger

Maf. King
PGP Key fingerprint = 8D68 A91F 733B 2C1F 43B7  2B7C E591 E8E1 0DE7 C542

Re: [GNC] Saved report configurations

The filename is "saved-reports-2.6" in 2.6.17 and unless you're on a Mac it will be in $HOME/.gnucash. Running GnuCash will migrate everything in that directory to its new home and make any necessary format upgrades (for example, that file's name gets changed to "saved-reports-2.8") as long as the new location doesn't already exist. If you've already run GnuCash 3.4 it will, so you should delete that directory after copying in $HOME/.gnucash and before restarting GnuCash 3.4.

Op dinsdag 19 maart 2019 18:08:29 CET schreef [hidden email]:

> Version 2.6.17
>
> I looked at the wiki and am not sure where to start. If possible, just need
> to know:
>
> What is the name of the file where the saved report configurations are
> stored?
> Should those saved configurations be available when I update versions?
>
> Thanks,
> Roger

The file is called saved-reports-2.x where 'x' depends on your gnucash version
as does its location. For 2.6.17 the filename will be saved-reports-2.4 and it
will be stored in DOT_GNUCASH_DIR as described for your OS (which you haven't
provided yet) under
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Configuration_Locations#DOT_GNUCASH_DIR

For GnuCash 3.0 and up the file will be in
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Configuration_Locations#GNC_DATA_HOME for your
OS. GnuCash will look for a file named saved-reports-2.8 first in there and if
missing it will try to open saved-reports-2.4 in the same directory.

As for updates, if you update gnucash from 2.6.x to 3.x it will copy these
saved reports from the old location to the new one for you, but only if the
new location didn't exist yet! So if you ran tests on your new PC with only
3.x and then install 2.6.x on that system, the migration will not run again
after upgrading to 3.x. If you want to force the migration, you should move
the https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Configuration_Locations#GNC_DATA_HOME
directory aside before running gnucash 3.x.

Thanks John,

I stumbled on the file on the computer we use for accounting in
C:/Users/TOSHIBA/.gnucash. By $HOME do you mean the name of the computer,
this case TOSHIBA? I looked for it on my Windows 10 PC but didn't find it.
Not important.

I only want to play with version 3.4 on the other computer to see if there
are any glitches I'll have to deal with. That sort of thing is time
consuming. The version we have installed is working fine so it is a
cost(time)/benefit issue. Don't want to spend more time learning and fixing
the software than we spend doing the work.

Roger

wrote:

> Version 2.6.17
>
> I looked at the wiki and am not sure where to start. If possible, just
> need to know:
>
> What is the name of the file where the saved report configurations are
> stored?
> Should those saved configurations be available when I update versions?
>
> Thanks,
> Roger

Thanks Geert,

Windows 7. I found the file in C:/Users/TOSHIBA/.gnucash/saved-reports-2.4.
Out of curiosity, I looked for it on my Windows 10 computer and didn't find
it. I didn't see anything special for Windows 10 in the wiki. Not important
really as long as the update takes care of that.

You said, " If you want to force the migration, you should move the
directory aside before running gnucash 3.x." Will it work to copy the 2.4
file to the 3.4 directory? I saved the 2.4 file from the working pc to a
USB.  I'm guessing I'll have to delete the 3.4 saved reports file, if it
even exists as I have not saved any reports on the test computer. I would
like to give it a try.

Roger

Op dinsdag 19 maart 2019 18:08:29 CET schreef [hidden email]:

> Version 2.6.17
>
> I looked at the wiki and am not sure where to start. If possible, just
> need to know:
>
> What is the name of the file where the saved report configurations are
> stored?
> Should those saved configurations be available when I update versions?
>
> Thanks,
> Roger

The file is called saved-reports-2.x where 'x' depends on your gnucash
version as does its location. For 2.6.17 the filename will be
saved-reports-2.4 and it will be stored in DOT_GNUCASH_DIR as described for
your OS (which you haven't provided yet) under
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Configuration_Locations#DOT_GNUCASH_DIR

For GnuCash 3.0 and up the file will be in
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Configuration_Locations#GNC_DATA_HOME for your
OS. GnuCash will look for a file named saved-reports-2.8 first in there and
if missing it will try to open saved-reports-2.4 in the same directory.

As for updates, if you update gnucash from 2.6.x to 3.x it will copy these
saved reports from the old location to the new one for you, but only if the
new location didn't exist yet! So if you ran tests on your new PC with only
3.x and then install 2.6.x on that system, the migration will not run again
after upgrading to 3.x. If you want to force the migration, you should move
the https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Configuration_Locations#GNC_DATA_HOME
directory aside before running gnucash 3.x.

Geert Janssens-4
Op dinsdag 19 maart 2019 20:33:32 CET schreef [hidden email]:

> Thanks Geert,
>
> Windows 7. I found the file in C:/Users/TOSHIBA/.gnucash/saved-reports-2.4.
> Out of curiosity, I looked for it on my Windows 10 computer and didn't find
> it. I didn't see anything special for Windows 10 in the wiki. Not important
> really as long as the update takes care of that.
>
> You said, " If you want to force the migration, you should move the
> directory aside before running gnucash 3.x." Will it work to copy the 2.4
> file to the 3.4 directory? I saved the 2.4 file from the working pc to a
> USB.  I'm guessing I'll have to delete the 3.4 saved reports file, if it
> even exists as I have not saved any reports on the test computer. I would
> like to give it a try.
>
> Roger

Hi Roger,

If I understand correctly from your reply to John, the new computer is only to
experiment with 3.4. It will not be used to actually upgrade from 2.6 to 3.4 ?

In that case you can indeed copy the saved-reports-2.4 file to the new pc.

If you enter a Windows Explorer on that PC, and type
%appdata%\GnuCash
in its address bar, that should open the proper location to store the saved
reports file for gnucash 3.4 (provided you have run gnucash 3.4 before at
least once). Note don't copy the file there while gnucash is running. It may
be overwritten as gnucash closes.

Re: [GNC] Saved report configurations

Roger, just for reference, while the computer in question could certainly be named ’TOSHIBA’ the file path you gave indicated this is the name of the current user. (they may have been given the same name)

If you had created a user called ‘Roger’ then the path would be C:/Users/Roger/.gnucash and the computer name could still remain ‘TOSHIBA’.

In any event, it would be a rare case to need the computer name to find a file. (this might be needed if the file were on another computer on a network)

> On Mar 19, 2019, at 2:13 PM, <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks John,
>
> I stumbled on the file on the computer we use for accounting in
> C:/Users/TOSHIBA/.gnucash. By $HOME do you mean the name of the computer,
> this case TOSHIBA? I looked for it on my Windows 10 PC but didn't find it.
> Not important.
>
> I only want to play with version 3.4 on the other computer to see if there
> are any glitches I'll have to deal with. That sort of thing is time
> consuming. The version we have installed is working fine so it is a
> cost(time)/benefit issue. Don't want to spend more time learning and fixing
> the software than we spend doing the work.
>
> Roger

Re: [GNC] Saved report configurations

rmomxtx
That worked. Thanks. You are correct, my intention was to experiment with
3.4. I thought I would try copying the stylesheet file to the test computer
as well. That did not work, I suspect because the picture file is not in
the test computer.

I take it that 3.4 will install with the Spanish accounting terms, etc., on
a Window 7 computer with the Windows language set to Spanish. Is that
correct? Spanish is not a language choice on the list when installing the
program but it installed on our working computer in Spanish anyway. That
was a boon for us.

Roger

The program looks good. Seems familiar and maybe a little easier on the
eyes.

Op woensdag 20 maart 2019 02:10:11 CET schreef Roger Oliver:
> That worked. Thanks. You are correct, my intention was to experiment with
> 3.4. I thought I would try copying the stylesheet file to the test computer
> as well. That did not work, I suspect because the picture file is not in
> the test computer.

You can try to copy that picture to the test computer as well. But it will
have to be stored in exactly the same path to be found by gnucash. If it's in
another path, you will have to update the stylesheet from within gnucash.

> I take it that 3.4 will install with the Spanish accounting terms, etc., on
> a Window 7 computer with the Windows language set to Spanish. Is that
> correct? Spanish is not a language choice on the list when installing the
> program but it installed on our working computer in Spanish anyway. That
> was a boon for us.

Yes. The language selection in the installer is only used for the messages
found in the installer. No one has offered us a Spanish translation of these
installer messages yet hence the installer will not offer Spanish.

Regardless of the language you choose in the installer, gnucash will be
installed with all the languages it supports and so if it supports your PC's
language it will try to use that.

Re: [GNC] Saved Report Configurations

rmomxtx
Adrian,

You are correct, TOSHIBA is just the user name on this computer.

Thanks,

Roger

You wrote: "Roger, just for reference, while the computer in question could