[GNC] Saved Report Configurations Missing After Upgrade to v3

[GNC] Saved Report Configurations Missing After Upgrade to v3

Thomas Forrester
I just now upgraded to 3.1.2 from 2.x.  Looking for my saved reports,
GnuCash tells me I have none.  Not true, at least before the upgrade anyway.

I am using MySQL as the database, and I did read that there have been
changes to the default data storage locations.  Not sure that's relevant
when using MySQL since it's a database not a file, but I also do not know
if the upgrade somehow tried to relocate stuff to the OS-appropriate
storage location?

Anyone else lose their reports and get them back?

Thanks.

Re: [GNC] Saved Report Configurations Missing After Upgrade to v3

GnuCash - User mailing list
I found them to be at /home/user_name/.local/share/gnucash.  This was
on archlabs (linux).  Mike

On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 4:50 AM, Thomas Forrester
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just now upgraded to 3.1.2 from 2.x.  Looking for my saved reports,
> GnuCash tells me I have none.  Not true, at least before the upgrade
> anyway.
>
> I am using MySQL as the database, and I did read that there have been
> changes to the default data storage locations.  Not sure that's
> relevant
> when using MySQL since it's a database not a file, but I also do not
> know
> if the upgrade somehow tried to relocate stuff to the OS-appropriate
> storage location?
>
> Anyone else lose their reports and get them back?
>
> Thanks.

Re: [GNC] Saved Report Configurations Missing After Upgrade to v3

Thomas Forrester
Sorry, I should have said that I am on Windows.

I can find the folder GnuCash created -  AppData\Roaming\GnuCash, but I
don't see report definitions there.  Not sure what they are called either,
but nothing stands out as a report definition.  Perhaps they are stored in
the data file/database?  But regardless, I have no saved report
configurations.

I'd really like them back!

Thanks.

On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 9:46 AM Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I found them to be at /home/user_name/.local/share/gnucash.  This was on
> archlabs (linux).  Mike
>
> On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 4:50 AM, Thomas Forrester <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> I just now upgraded to 3.1.2 from 2.x. Looking for my saved reports,
> GnuCash tells me I have none. Not true, at least before the upgrade anyway.
> I am using MySQL as the database, and I did read that there have been
> changes to the default data storage locations. Not sure that's relevant
> when using MySQL since it's a database not a file, but I also do not know
> if the upgrade somehow tried to relocate stuff to the OS-appropriate
> storage location? Anyone else lose their reports and get them back? Thanks.
> you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information. -----
> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies. You can do this by
> using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

Re: [GNC] Saved Report Configurations Missing After Upgrade to v3

GnuCash - User mailing list
Haven't tried 3.1 on windows.  What I did to find the new folder on
linux was to save a report config and search for the file which was
saved_reports2.8 or something like that.  The old reports were still
where 2.6.xx put them.  Moved them to the new location and renamed them
to the 2.8 file name and the old reports worked.  Don't know if any of
that helps in windows, but it's not as simple as I thought it would be.
 Mike

On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 8:37 AM, Thomas Forrester
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry, I should have said that I am on Windows.
>
> I can find the folder GnuCash created -  AppData\Roaming\GnuCash, but
> I don't see report definitions there.  Not sure what they are called
> either, but nothing stands out as a report definition.  Perhaps they
> are stored in the data file/database?  But regardless, I have no
> saved report configurations.
>
> I'd really like them back!
>
> Thanks.
>
> On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 9:46 AM Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I found them to be at /home/user_name/.local/share/gnucash.  This
>> was on archlabs (linux).  Mike
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 4:50 AM, Thomas Forrester
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I just now upgraded to 3.1.2 from 2.x.  Looking for my saved
>>> reports,
>>> GnuCash tells me I have none.  Not true, at least before the
>>> upgrade anyway.
>>>
>>> I am using MySQL as the database, and I did read that there have
>>> been
>>> changes to the default data storage locations.  Not sure that's
>>> relevant
>>> when using MySQL since it's a database not a file, but I also do
>>> not know
>>> if the upgrade somehow tried to relocate stuff to the OS-appropriate
>>> storage location?
>>>
>>> Anyone else lose their reports and get them back?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
>>> -----

Re: [GNC] Saved Report Configurations Missing After Upgrade to v3

Thomas Forrester
Thanks Michael,

I created a test report and found a new file in the AppData folder for
GnuCash called saved-reports-2.8 which I find odd since this is v3.
Nevertheless the file is new and, looking at it in a text editor, it
contains the definition for the test report I just created.  I had to do a
search of my entire hard drive, but found a file similarly called
saved-reports-2.4.  I backed up the 2.8 version and just copied the 2.4
versions into the new folder and the reports automagically reappeared.

I appreciate your good suggestions.

Tom

On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 11:28 AM Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Haven't tried 3.1 on windows.  What I did to find the new folder on linux
> was to save a report config and search for the file which was
> saved_reports2.8 or something like that.  The old reports were still where
> 2.6.xx put them.  Moved them to the new location and renamed them to the
> 2.8 file name and the old reports worked.  Don't know if any of that helps
> in windows, but it's not as simple as I thought it would be.  Mike
>
> On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 8:37 AM, Thomas Forrester <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> Sorry, I should have said that I am on Windows.
>
> I can find the folder GnuCash created -  AppData\Roaming\GnuCash, but I
> don't see report definitions there.  Not sure what they are called either,
> but nothing stands out as a report definition.  Perhaps they are stored in
> the data file/database?  But regardless, I have no saved report
> configurations.
>
> I'd really like them back!
>
> Thanks.
>
> On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 9:46 AM Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I found them to be at /home/user_name/.local/share/gnucash.  This was on
>> archlabs (linux).  Mike
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 4:50 AM, Thomas Forrester <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> I just now upgraded to 3.1.2 from 2.x. Looking for my saved reports,
>> GnuCash tells me I have none. Not true, at least before the upgrade anyway.
>> I am using MySQL as the database, and I did read that there have been
>> changes to the default data storage locations. Not sure that's relevant
>> when using MySQL since it's a database not a file, but I also do not know
>> if the upgrade somehow tried to relocate stuff to the OS-appropriate
>> storage location? Anyone else lose their reports and get them back? Thanks.
>> you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
>> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information. -----
>> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies. You can do this by
>> using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

Re: [GNC] Saved Report Configurations Missing After Upgrade to v3

Ok Tom.  Good to hear you were successful.  I wondered about the 2.8 also, but it seems to be the right file.  Mike

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE smartphone

Re: [GNC] Saved Report Configurations Missing After Upgrade to v3

Geert Janssens-4
Op donderdag 7 juni 2018 05:38:47 CEST schreef Mike Churchill via gnucash-
user:
> Ok Tom.  Good to hear you were successful.  I wondered about the 2.8 also,
> but it seems to be the right file.  Mike

The 2.8 version is a small oversight. It was decided fairly late in the last
development cycle to name the next big release 3.0. Before that we were aiming
for 2.8 as a natural follow up for 1.8->2.0->2.2->2.4->2.6.

The release numbering scheme was changed, but we omitted renaming the saved-
reports file.

Tom, out of curiosity: where did you find the old saved-reports-2.4 file ?

Normally gnucash does migrate the metadata to %APPDATA%\GnuCash on the first
time you run a gnucash 3.x version from %USER%\.gnucash.

I can imagine a few situations where that won't happen:
1. %APPDATA%\GnuCash already exists
2. Can't create %APPDATA%\GnuCash (in which case the trace file should have a
warning)
3. %USER%\.gnucash doesn't exist

A variation of 3. can be that you changed the HOME variable in the gnucash
environment file or you have set GNC_DOT_DIR to point to another directory.

In those cases the migration will never happen and the user should do this
manually.

Re: [GNC] Saved Report Configurations Missing After Upgrade to v3

Thomas Forrester
Hi Geert,

The old saved-reports-2.4 file was found in the  %USER%\.gnucash folder.
None of the 3.-variations you mention apply here.

When I located the 2.4 file, I backed up the new 2.8 file to take it
completely out of the picture, then copied the 2.4 file over to
%APPDATA%\GnuCash
to see what would happen.  If nothing, I figured I'd rename the file from
2.4 to 2.8, but it worked with the 2.4 name.  Is this alright?  Will it
cause problems later?  Is there a better way?

A little history on this installation.
I'm not sure I'd remember the initial installed version, but it was back in
the fall of 2016 when I installed GnuCash on Windows in whatever manner the
installer prescribed as the standard install.  I LOVE the true double entry
accounting GnuCash allows over the typical one-sided manner in which most
financial programs (e.g., Quicken, et al) provide.  My only disappointment
has been in the reporting formats.  Not so much what is in the reports or
the ability to customize them; that's all perfectly acceptable.  It's the
overall report styling.  I don't understand why on the Income Statement,
for instance, there's a small font "Net Income for Period" line following a
large, bold "Total Expenses" line.  The formatting is whack, and I just
don't see an easy way to correct it or any resources to teach me how. (Know
of any?  Please share!)  That got me thinking that, since MySQL was an
option, I could just ODBC in with Microsoft Access and potentially use it's
report writer to generate prettier reports than I know how to make within
GnuCash.  I never really got to report designing in Access, but it sure got
me over some initial reconciliation pains!  But regardless, and for better
or worse, I left the backend for GnuCash as MySQL.  When I upgraded to 3.x,
that is the environment it found itself upgrading.

I'm slipping out of scope on the OP topic here, but (in the Windows
environment, if that matters) what is the best practice for data storage?
Am I setting myself up for problems using MySQL?  Has my use of MySQL
contributed to the missing report situation on upgrade to 3.x?

Thanks,
Tom

Op donderdag 7 juni 2018 16:48:11 CEST schreef Thomas Forrester:

> Hi Geert,
>
> The old saved-reports-2.4 file was found in the  %USER%\.gnucash folder.
> None of the 3.-variations you mention apply here.
>
> When I located the 2.4 file, I backed up the new 2.8 file to take it
> completely out of the picture, then copied the 2.4 file over to
> %APPDATA%\GnuCash
> to see what would happen.  If nothing, I figured I'd rename the file from
> 2.4 to 2.8, but it worked with the 2.4 name.  Is this alright?  Will it
> cause problems later?  Is there a better way?

No. That is what the migration should have done as well.

>  When I upgraded to 3.x,
> that is the environment it found itself upgrading.

Ok, do you think you could still find the trace file gnucash generated the
first time you started gnucash 3.x ? Where to find trace files is described
here: http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Tracefile

Secondly, the first time you ran gnucash 3.x did you get a pop up window
explaining you your metadata was being moved to a new location ?

And lastly, did you ever experiment with the 2.7 development series on your
current machine ?

> I'm slipping out of scope on the OP topic here, but (in the Windows
> environment, if that matters) what is the best practice for data storage?
> Am I setting myself up for problems using MySQL?  Has my use of MySQL
> contributed to the missing report situation on upgrade to 3.x?

Xml is still considered the most stable format in general. That is independent
of your OS. On the other hand the db formats are improving with each release.
We did find a few issues in gnucash 3.0 and 3.1 in this area. So be sure to
read the release notes for more details.

Regards

Re: [GNC] Saved Report Configurations Missing After Upgrade to v3

Thomas Forrester
Hi Geert,

I located the trace files.  Not sure why, if they are such a valuable
diagnostic tool, that they are stored in the AppData Temp folder.  I also
found that every report I've looked at since upgrading to 3.x has a
corresponding html file in that Temp folder, too.  It might be worth
reconsidering the location for those files along with a retention
schedule.  But anyway...

Oh, and another suggestion - the trace file should have a version stamp,
not just a time stamp.  I can't really tell the exact point at which I
upgraded by just the time stamp.  I believe it was early in the day on
either Tuesday or Wednesday of this week, but a version stamp would
completely eliminate doubt.

I only have 13 trace files dated from 2018.06.04 to today, 2018.06.08.
These dates to include the upgrade from 2.?.19 to 3.0-118-gd2ef5fd0f+
(2018-04-28)

The vast majority of trace files only say:
* 05:58:17  WARN <gnc.app-utils> Could not spawn perl: Failed to execute
child process (No such file or directory)

One of them pre-upgrade (I'm pretty sure) says:
* 06:30:48  WARN <gnc.app-utils> Could not spawn perl: Failed to execute
child process (No such file or directory)
* 06:31:40  WARN <Gtk> Could not find the icon 'gtk-file'. The 'hicolor'
theme
was not found either, perhaps you need to install it.
You can get a copy from:
http://icon-theme.freedesktop.org/releases

From the morning of Wed 2018.06.06 which may be the time of upgrade:
* 06:25:32  WARN <gnc.app-utils> Could not spawn perl: Failed to execute
child process (No such file or directory)
* 06:44:17  WARN <gnc.core-utils> Could not locate file AUTHORS
* 06:44:17  WARN <gnc.core-utils> Could not locate file DOCUMENTERS
* 06:44:17  WARN <gnc.core-utils> Could not locate file LICENSE
* 07:07:15  CRIT <gnc.gui> [gnc_ui_file_access_response_cb()] Invalid
response

The very next trace file, after I accidentally left the program running all
day says:
* 10:36:13  WARN <gnc.app-utils> Could not spawn perl: Failed to execute
child process (No such file or directory)
* 18:45:07  CRIT <gnc.backend.dbi>
[GncDbiSqlConnection::begin_transaction()] BEGIN transaction failed()
* 18:45:07  CRIT <gnc.backend.sql> [GncSqlBackend::commit()]
begin_transaction failed

The one that was apparently created just now when I started the program
says:
* 06:11:57  WARN <gnc.app-utils> Could not spawn perl: Failed to execute
child process (No such file or directory)
* 06:15:05  CRIT <gnc.gui> [gnc_ui_file_access_response_cb()] Invalid
response

There was no popup about moving metadata following the upgrade.

I never experimented with the dev series.

I will re-check the release notes, but as I upgraded to 3.1.x, hopefully I
just skipped over any earlier 3.0 issues.

Thanks!