[GNC] Restricting expense report to single checking account

[GNC] Restricting expense report to single checking account

stevecoh2@gmail.com
I wish to make an expense report (pie chart, bar chart, not important
which) to track spending over the past two years, but restrict the
content to expenses paid out of a single checking account.  I make
selections that seem appropriate to this task in the dialog, but I can
see through the output that my intentions with regard to the single
account are not being followed.  I can see that certain expenses which
are entirely paid out of another checking account are included in my
totals.

Am I doing something wrong, and if so, how can I get the output I'm
looking for?

Re: [GNC] Restricting expense report to single checking account

Christopher Lam
I think only the Transaction Report will offer this flexibility.
Account/Accounts - Bank account
Account/Filter Type - "include"
Account/Filter By.. expense accounts.

On Tue, 5 Feb 2019 at 05:35, Steve Cohen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I wish to make an expense report (pie chart, bar chart, not important
> which) to track spending over the past two years, but restrict the
> content to expenses paid out of a single checking account.  I make
> selections that seem appropriate to this task in the dialog, but I can
> see through the output that my intentions with regard to the single
> account are not being followed.  I can see that certain expenses which
> are entirely paid out of another checking account are included in my
> totals.
>
> Am I doing something wrong, and if so, how can I get the output I'm
> looking for?

[GNC] Fwd: Restricting expense report to single checking account

Christopher Lam
Sure you're welcome, but it's customary here to reply-all to list.

On 2/4/19 5:12 PM, Christopher Lam wrote:

> I think only the Transaction Report will offer this flexibility.
> Account/Accounts - Bank account
> Account/Filter Type - "include"
> Account/Filter By.. expense accounts.
>

> On Tue, 5 Feb 2019 at 05:35, Steve Cohen <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     I wish to make an expense report (pie chart, bar chart, not important
>     which) to track spending over the past two years, but restrict the
>     content to expenses paid out of a single checking account.  I make
>     selections that seem appropriate to this task in the dialog, but I can
>     see through the output that my intentions with regard to the single
>     account are not being followed.  I can see that certain expenses which
>     are entirely paid out of another checking account are included in my
>     totals.
>
>     Am I doing something wrong, and if so, how can I get the output I'm
>     looking for?
>     If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
>     https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
>     -----
>     Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>     You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

Thanks, that works!  In fact, it also works in reverse:

Account/Accounts - all expense accounts
Account/Filter Type - "include"
Account/Filter By.. desired checking account.
Then do subtotals only.

It would be nice if this filtering mechanism could be extended to the
graphs.

Re: [GNC] Restricting expense report to single checking account

stevecoh2@gmail.com
On 2/4/19 5:12 PM, Christopher Lam wrote:

> I think only the Transaction Report will offer this flexibility.
> Account/Accounts - Bank account
> Account/Filter Type - "include"
> Account/Filter By.. expense accounts.
>

> On Tue, 5 Feb 2019 at 05:35, Steve Cohen <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     I wish to make an expense report (pie chart, bar chart, not important
>     which) to track spending over the past two years, but restrict the
>     content to expenses paid out of a single checking account.  I make
>     selections that seem appropriate to this task in the dialog, but I can
>     see through the output that my intentions with regard to the single
>     account are not being followed.  I can see that certain expenses which
>     are entirely paid out of another checking account are included in my
>     totals.
>
>     Am I doing something wrong, and if so, how can I get the output I'm
>     looking for?
>     If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
>     https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
>     -----
>     Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>     You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

Thanks, that works!  In fact, it also works in reverse, and maybe better
that way:

Account/Accounts - all expense accounts
Account/Filter Type - "include"
Account/Filter By.. desired checking account.
Then do subtotals only.  Not sure that will work if you do it the other way.