[GNC] Restoring backups

ihf

[GNC] Restoring backups

ihf
Conversely, if I move the current .gnucash to another machine that only has this file (and gnucash app) and open it, I don't see any recent transactions (only transactions from several years ago when I last used this test machine). Does the .gnucash file not contain everything? Put another way, how would I migrate the current state (or an earlier state) to another machine?

Re: [GNC] Restoring backups

Adrien Monteleone-2
I’d say you got which file was which mixed up.

You may have inadvertently opened the older file and kept working in it. That would now be your current file.

If it is missing transactions the other contains (and vice versa) then you’ll have to pick one of them that has the least missing data and then copy/paste from the other file as much as possible. If you have business feature transactions missing, you’ll have to redo those by hand.

> On Apr 5, 2019, at 6:48 PM, Fuchs Ira <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Conversely, if I move the current .gnucash to another machine that only has this file (and gnucash app) and open it, I don't see any recent transactions (only transactions from several years ago when I last used this test machine). Does the .gnucash file not contain everything? Put another way, how would I migrate the current state (or an earlier state) to another machine?

Liz

Re: [GNC] Restoring backups

Liz
On Fri, 5 Apr 2019 19:48:45 -0400
Fuchs Ira <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Put another way, how would I migrate the current state (or an earlier
> state) to another machine?

I recommend the excellent wiki page
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Backup

Liz

Re: [GNC] Restoring backups

Michael or Penny Novack
On 4/5/2019 7:48 PM, Fuchs Ira wrote:
> Conversely, if I move the current .gnucash to another machine that only has this file (and gnucash app) and open it, I don't see any recent transactions (only transactions from several years ago when I last used this test machine). Does the .gnucash file not contain everything? Put another way, how would I migrate the current state (or an earlier state) to another machine?

Probably my biggest "coup" in the aftermath of recovering from a
"restored the wrong backup" disaster << in one of the world's largest
financial companies >> was introducing UNIQUE file names. The uniqueness
was the date assigned to the run << not the "clock date" -- so if
assigned to run for 19901207 didn't become 19901208 if the job ran after
midnight >> This was automated (that was the big deal) but you can do
the same thing manually.

When you make backups, don't use the same name << which isn't changing>>
but when you copy say ..... mybooks.gnucash to the backup device
immediately rename it to say .....mybooks20190406.gnucash   Then all
your backups on the backup device will have a unique name and you will
know which you are restoring << or which you are opening to view old data >>

Michael D Novack

PS -- I backup ALL of my user date, not file by file. If you do THAT you
don't have to rename individual folders and files. You just create a
directory unique to the backups << name like ...backups20190406 >> and
that's where you copy all of your user data.