[GNC] Restoring backups

ihf

[GNC] Restoring backups

ihf
I wanted to go back to a saved .gnucash file but when I open it, it contains transactions that were entered after the date of the file. What am I doing wrong or how do I return the ledger to a saved point in the past?

Re: [GNC] Restoring backups

Maf. King
On Saturday, 6 April 2019 00:25:12 BST Fuchs Ira wrote:
> I wanted to go back to a saved .gnucash file but when I open it, it contains
> transactions that were entered after the date of the file. What am I doing
> wrong or how do I return the ledger to a saved point in the past?

Are you using a Mac?

Maf.

Re: [GNC] Restoring backups

Maf. King
On Saturday, 6 April 2019 01:04:22 BST Ira Fuchs wrote:
> Yes.

OK, that probably explains your problem.

On Macs, you can't open a GC file by clicking on it.  GC *always* opens the
last-used data file.

to swap files on a Mac, you have to use File -> Open and navigate to the file
you want to use.

HTH,
Maf.

ihf

Re: [GNC] Restoring backups

ihf
Thanks. That was the problem. I mistakenly thought that dragging the .gnucash file over the Gnucash app would Open the file (as is normally the case for Mac apps) but apparently you MUST use the File Open...

> On Apr 5, 2019, at 8:04 PM, Ira Fuchs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Yes.
>
> On Fri, Apr 5, 2019 at 8:01 PM Maf. King <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> On Saturday, 6 April 2019 00:25:12 BST Fuchs Ira wrote:
> > I wanted to go back to a saved .gnucash file but when I open it, it contains
> > transactions that were entered after the date of the file. What am I doing
> > wrong or how do I return the ledger to a saved point in the past?
>
> Are you using a Mac?
>
> Maf.

Re: [GNC] Restoring backups

cicko
Thanks, Maf. That's some useful info for Mac users. I'll add this to the wiki
(section on restoring the backups).

Re: [GNC] Restoring backups

GnuCash - User mailing list
cicko,
Thanks for adding this to the wiki. However, the circumstances you describe are not a function of backing up gnucash, but are rather a general issue associated with using gnucash on macs.
Because of this, I will recommend that your notes be moved into the FAQ page on using gnucash for macs. I will do this in a couple of hours, if you don't, but I wanted to let you know what the reasoning is for the change.
David

  On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 13:14, cicko<[hidden email]> wrote:   Thanks, Maf. That's some useful info for Mac users. I'll add this to the wiki
(section on restoring the backups).