[GNC] Reports to match Quicken

Emisbod
Hi folks,

I'm sorry to bother the list with what I suspect is a trivially easy
problem, but I've been trying and trying to get a report to match the
sort I used to get from Quicken. [and failing spectacularly badly!]

I'm after an income and expense list, subtotalled by what used to be
Category in Quicken, to give a format such as:

        Date Account Description
        Amount

        Interest Inc

        29/03/2018 ANZ Online Saver Credit Interest $23.21

        28/02/2018 ANZ Online Saver Credit Interest $22.41

        31/01/2018 ANZ Online Saver Credit Interest $26.39

        29/12/2017 ANZ Online Saver Credit Interest $29.42

        30/11/2017 ANZ Online Saver Credit Interest $38.67

        06/11/2017 ANZ Joint (Acc Adv Chq) Account Credit Interest $0.20

        06/11/2017 ANZ Online Saver Bonus Interest $16.77

        31/10/2017 ANZ Online Saver Credit Interest $51.02

Any advice would be most welcome!

  --
Cheerio,

Graham

---

Re: [GNC] Reports to match Quicken

Adrien Monteleone-2
That looks like what you can get out of a Transaction Report.

On 17/08/2019 19:50, Adrien Monteleone wrote:
> That looks like what you can get out of a Transaction Report.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien

Thanks, but the export of a transaction report seems to be pdf or html
only, and if I cut and paste into a spreadsheet, the values seem to come
out as a string, like

$26.75

and using the Sum function gives a zero total

--
Cheerio,

Graham

---

Re: [GNC] Reports to match Quicken

Adrien Monteleone-2
The Transaction Report can produce various totals, including by account.

But after you paste into a spreadsheet, you can strip the currency symbols with a find/replace. If that doesn’t change those cells to number, you could change the format on them. Most spreadsheets also have a function to convert strings of numbers to numbers as well.

I’ve never experienced any problem with the currency symbols myself, however. (I use both Libreoffice and Apple Numbers) If you get a dialog when you paste, make sure the option to ‘detect special numbers’ is checked if it is available.

> On Aug 17, 2019, at 3:50 PM, Graham <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 17/08/2019 19:50, Adrien Monteleone wrote:
>> That looks like what you can get out of a Transaction Report.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Adrien
>

> Thanks, but the export of a transaction report seems to be pdf or html only, and if I cut and paste into a spreadsheet, the values seem to come out as a string, like
>
> $26.75
>
> and using the Sum function gives a zero total
>
> --
> Cheerio,
>
> Graham

Re: [GNC] Reports to match Quicken

I had similar problems pasting HTML (from a website, not from GnuCash) into
Excel 2016, both because of the currency symbol and because of a mismatch
between the thousands separator and decimal symbol and those expected by
Excel.  I'll have to see if I can do better with LibreOffice.
Excel refused to accept simple reformatting of the cells as "Number" or
"Currency", so I used a combination of search & replace (to eliminate the
currency symbol) and "Text to Columns".  I found this reference helpful:
https://contextures.com/xlDataEntry03.html

The Transaction Report can produce various totals, including by account.

But after you paste into a spreadsheet, you can strip the currency symbols
with a find/replace. If that doesn?t change those cells to number, you could
change the format on them. Most spreadsheets also have a function to convert
strings of numbers to numbers as well.

I?ve never experienced any problem with the currency symbols myself,
however. (I use both Libreoffice and Apple Numbers) If you get a dialog when
you paste, make sure the option to ?detect special numbers? is checked if it
is available.

<<

> On Aug 17, 2019, at 3:50 PM, Graham <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 17/08/2019 19:50, Adrien Monteleone wrote:
>> That looks like what you can get out of a Transaction Report.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Adrien
>

> Thanks, but the export of a transaction report seems to be pdf or html
> only, and if I cut and paste into a spreadsheet, the values seem to
> come out as a string, like
>
> $26.75
>
> and using the Sum function gives a zero total
>
> --
> Cheerio,
>
> Graham

Re: [GNC] Reports to match Quicken

Greg Feneis
For a one-off report, pasting into a spreadsheet program and batch editing
the pasted text (find, replace, etc.) may get you by. But if translating a
report is something you'll have to do regularly, spreadsheets can be
"programmed" to do this for you.  EG, if you paste your text into one area
of a sheet, you can set up formulas in the cells of another sheet to
process the pasted text/data into some format you can work with or print.

Kind regards,

Greg Feneis