[GNC] Reopening Latest File

reb1932
When I want to go back to Gnucash I have to go to the "BusinessGnuCash"
file and then try to find the latest file to open it. The files listed
below the opening of GnuCash all come up with " cannot find file. What
am I doing wrong when I close the program that prevents me from opening
it with the correct/latest file when I am ready to go to GnuCash the
next time. I have been fighting this for several years and cannot get a
solution.

Also can I delete the log files in GnuCash or  do I need them. Thank you
for any advise.

Richard Bamann

Re: [GNC] Reopening Latest File

reb1932
I am using Kubuntu 17.10. When I finish with GnuCash I was told to just
school down to "quit" but that does not help. How should I close GnuCash
so that the file is in the correct place to retrieve it.

Richard Barmann

On 06/24/2018 09:56 AM, D wrote:

> Sounds like you are moving your files from the operating system (e.g., using Mac's Finder, or Windows Explorer). Are you? Gnucash can't find what you've moved.
>
> David
>
> On June 24, 2018, at 3:39 PM, Richard Barmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> When I want to go back to Gnucash I have to go to the "BusinessGnuCash"
> file and then try to find the latest file to open it. The files listed
> below the opening of GnuCash all come up with " cannot find file. What
> am I doing wrong when I close the program that prevents me from opening
> it with the correct/latest file when I am ready to go to GnuCash the
> next time. I have been fighting this for several years and cannot get a
> solution.
>
> Also can I delete the log files in GnuCash or  do I need them. Thank you
> for any advise.
>
> Richard Bamann

Re: [GNC] Reopening Latest File

David Carlson-4
Richard,

I have deliberately created that same situation on my LAN by keeping the
data file on a different server than the one I am running GnuCash on.  When
I am not logged in to that server, the file cannot be found.  By logging in
to the server and searching for the file or logging in before starting
GnuCash, I can then open the file.

David C

On Sun, Jun 24, 2018 at 9:12 AM, Richard Barmann <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I am using Kubuntu 17.10. When I finish with GnuCash I was told to just
> school down to "quit" but that does not help. How should I close GnuCash so
> that the file is in the correct place to retrieve it.
>
> Richard Barmann
>

> On 06/24/2018 09:56 AM, D wrote:
>
>> Sounds like you are moving your files from the operating system (e.g.,
>> using Mac's Finder, or Windows Explorer). Are you? Gnucash can't find what
>> you've moved.
>>
>> David
>>
>> On June 24, 2018, at 3:39 PM, Richard Barmann <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> When I want to go back to Gnucash I have to go to the "BusinessGnuCash"
>> file and then try to find the latest file to open it. The files listed
>> below the opening of GnuCash all come up with " cannot find file. What
>> am I doing wrong when I close the program that prevents me from opening
>> it with the correct/latest file when I am ready to go to GnuCash the
>> next time. I have been fighting this for several years and cannot get a
>> solution.
>>
>> Also can I delete the log files in GnuCash or  do I need them. Thank you
>> for any advise.
>>
>> Richard Bamann

Re: [GNC] Reopening Latest File

David Carlson-4
Richard,

Regarding the log files, by default GnuCash will automatically retain files
with the same filename until they are 30 days old   You can go to Edit
>Preferences >General and change that to a shorter period or even Never if
you are daring.

David C

On Sun, Jun 24, 2018 at 10:52 AM, David Carlson <[hidden email]