[GNC] QFX import matching

Keith Bellairs
I import qfx from my checking account. I shop at my local food coop almost
daily. The transactions all have descriptions like:
OFX ext. info: |Trans type:Generic debit|Memo:BUFFALO M BUFF HARDWICK VT
POS PURCHASE/PIN DDA 098894
with varying dates and amounts, of course.

They never match and each one must be manually updated with the account
Groceries.

My Preferences look like this:
[image: image.png]

Is there something I should be tweaking?

Keith

image.png (208K) Download Attachment

Re: [GNC] QFX import matching

David Carlson-4
Keith,

The OFX importer may require manually assigning the Groceries account a few
times at the matching step during the first imports from your bank, but
then it should be remembering the Groceries account because you have
Bayesian matching enabled.  If you are accepting the completed manual
assignments and allowing the import to complete, it should be working.
Just for reference it might help to know your OS and GnuCash release to see
if there is some bug in that process.

David Carlson

On Fri, Mar 29, 2019 at 10:39 AM Keith Bellairs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I import qfx from my checking account. I shop at my local food coop almost
> daily. The transactions all have descriptions like:
> OFX ext. info: |Trans type:Generic debit|Memo:BUFFALO M BUFF HARDWICK VT
> POS PURCHASE/PIN DDA 098894
> with varying dates and amounts, of course.
>
> They never match and each one must be manually updated with the account
> Groceries.
>
> My Preferences look like this:
> [image: image.png]
>
> Is there something I should be tweaking?
>
> Keith

David Carlson

Re: [GNC] QFX import matching

keithbellairs
I have manually assigned the account dozens of times. GNC 3.4 MacOS 10.14.3 Mojave

Sent from my iPhone

> On Mar 29, 2019, at 13:47, David Carlson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Keith,
>
> The OFX importer may require manually assigning the Groceries account a few times at the matching step during the first imports from your bank, but then it should be remembering the Groceries account because you have Bayesian matching enabled.  If you are accepting the completed manual assignments and allowing the import to complete, it should be working.  Just for reference it might help to know your OS and GnuCash release to see if there is some bug in that process.
>
> David Carlson
>
>> On Fri, Mar 29, 2019 at 10:39 AM Keith Bellairs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I import qfx from my checking account. I shop at my local food coop almost
>> daily. The transactions all have descriptions like:
>> OFX ext. info: |Trans type:Generic debit|Memo:BUFFALO M BUFF HARDWICK VT
>> POS PURCHASE/PIN DDA 098894
>> with varying dates and amounts, of course.
>>
>> They never match and each one must be manually updated with the account
>> Groceries.
>>
>> My Preferences look like this:
>> [image: image.png]
>>
>> Is there something I should be tweaking?
>>
>> Keith

> David Carlson

Re: [GNC] QFX import matching

Keith Bellairs
Thanks for the hint, David. But its more broken than that. Many/most of my
imports match correctly. The groceries one has been manually assigned
dozens or hundreds of times and the match algo always fails. Do any of the
parameters in the preferences make a difference?

The memo field in the imported qfx file is kind of long for this company:
BUFFALO M BUFF HARDWICK VT POS PURCHASE/PIN DDA 098894
and it is always the same. It has a special character in it. Somehow it
baffles the import matcher.

Sorry, I forgot the basic info, but the matcher has failed this way for
(probably) years:
Gnucash 3.4
MacOS 10.14.3

Keith

On Fri, Mar 29, 2019 at 6:26 PM Keith Bellairs <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I have manually assigned the account dozens of times. GNC 3.4 MacOS
> 10.14.3 Mojave
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Mar 29, 2019, at 13:47, David Carlson <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> Keith,
>
> The OFX importer may require manually assigning the Groceries account a
> few times at the matching step during the first imports from your bank, but
> then it should be remembering the Groceries account because you have
> Bayesian matching enabled.  If you are accepting the completed manual
> assignments and allowing the import to complete, it should be working.
> Just for reference it might help to know your OS and GnuCash release to see
> if there is some bug in that process.
>
> David Carlson
>
> On Fri, Mar 29, 2019 at 10:39 AM Keith Bellairs <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I import qfx from my checking account. I shop at my local food coop almost
>> daily. The transactions all have descriptions like:
>> OFX ext. info: |Trans type:Generic debit|Memo:BUFFALO M BUFF HARDWICK VT
>> POS PURCHASE/PIN DDA 098894
>> with varying dates and amounts, of course.
>>
>> They never match and each one must be manually updated with the account
>> Groceries.
>>
>> My Preferences look like this:
>> [image: image.png]
>>
>> Is there something I should be tweaking?
>>
>> Keith

> David Carlson

Re: [GNC] QFX import matching

David Carlson-4
Interesting.  That could be a bug.  I know that certain transactions do not
get learned as quickly as others, and perhaps some, like your example,
possibly never, but it is worth investigating, especially since the
Bayesian matching was recently changed.  I would suggest submitting a bug
report and see what happens.

David Carlson

--
David Carlson

Re: [GNC] QFX import matching

Derek Atkins-3

Keith Bellairs <[hidden email]> writes:

> Thanks for the hint, David. But its more broken than that. Many/most of my
> imports match correctly. The groceries one has been manually assigned
> dozens or hundreds of times and the match algo always fails. Do any of the
> parameters in the preferences make a difference?
>
> The memo field in the imported qfx file is kind of long for this company:
> BUFFALO M BUFF HARDWICK VT POS PURCHASE/PIN DDA 098894
> and it is always the same. It has a special character in it. Somehow it
> baffles the import matcher.
>
> Sorry, I forgot the basic info, but the matcher has failed this way for
> (probably) years:
> Gnucash 3.4
> MacOS 10.14.3

Are you sure you have Bayesian Matching turned on in your preferences?

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745

Re: [GNC] QFX import matching

Keith Bellairs
Derek,

The online banking preference for bayesian matching is checked. The problem
is most obvious, however, when I am importing a qfx file. When I use
actions -> online actions -> get transactions the matching algorithm seems
to work. Is the matching algo supposed to be applied for the File -> Import
-> Import OFX/QFX case? Is there a separate preference for that case?

Keith

On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 11:16 AM Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Keith Bellairs <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > Thanks for the hint, David. But its more broken than that. Many/most of
> my
> > imports match correctly. The groceries one has been manually assigned
> > dozens or hundreds of times and the match algo always fails. Do any of
> the
> > parameters in the preferences make a difference?
> >
> > The memo field in the imported qfx file is kind of long for this company:
> > BUFFALO M BUFF HARDWICK VT POS PURCHASE/PIN DDA 098894
> > and it is always the same. It has a special character in it. Somehow it
> > baffles the import matcher.
> >
> > Sorry, I forgot the basic info, but the matcher has failed this way for
> > (probably) years:
> > Gnucash 3.4
> > MacOS 10.14.3
>
> Are you sure you have Bayesian Matching turned on in your preferences?

>        Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
>        [hidden email]             www.ihtfp.com
>        Computer and Internet Security Consultant

Re: [GNC] QFX import matching

Derek Atkins-3
Hi,

Keith Bellairs <[hidden email]> writes:

> Derek,
>
> The online banking preference for bayesian matching is checked. The problem is
> most obvious, however, when I am importing a qfx file. When I use actions ->
> online actions -> get transactions the matching algorithm seems to work. Is
> the matching algo supposed to be applied for the File -> Import -> Import OFX/
> QFX case? Is there a separate preference for that case?

There is not a separate preference.
The process should work the same for OFX/QFX import vs. Online Actions.
Indeed, it is the same underlying code.

Perhaps the tokenizing is less effective in the OFX/QFX import such that
it's not getting good tokens to match on?

> Keith

-derek