[GNC] Problems with Budget

pj42uk
Dear Adrien,
Please forgive me for sending this direct to you, but I've had no reply
from my posting on the 20th, which read:

I have just noticed that the budget total figures are no longer correct.
Thus for example, in Expenses Budget , the displayed  Monthly total at the
top of the column for each month does not equal the sum of the individual
account budgets.

This imbalance then reflects across all budget reports.

I am pretty certain that this is a new issue, as I tend to balance
regularly with a spreadsheet.

Any suggestions

Thanks

Peter

Tel: 01568 750 248 Mob: 07955 586 476

Re: [GNC] Problems with Budget

Adrien Monteleone-2
Peter,

You copied the list which is the important part. While you included me, I only get the list copy. (that used to not happen, I think a mailman bug or setting was fixed) On that note, please *DO NOT* e-mail me only (and not the list) concerning GnuCash questions unless invited to do so. The wiki covers this etiquette question. Certainly, not getting a prompt reply is no cause for such action, and it isn’t likely to get you a faster response. Everyone is a volunteer here. I’m just a user like you that occasionally helps others on the list where I can. I’m not part of the development team—and they’d prefer you use the list.

To your question, check your settings for the budget. I’ve encountered something similar in the recent past (and posted a thread about it) and it took me some time to track it down. It hinged on the setting for ’same week and day’.

It caused me to see results which didn’t seem to take into account transactions posted in a particular period because they weren’t directly comparable across periods of different lengths. (the setting ’normalizes’ period lengths so you aren’t comparing a 28 day month to a 31 day month) If you have this enabled, uncheck it and see if this resolves your dilemma. Otherwise, I can’t say I have a solution for you.

> On Jan 23, 2019, at 5:20 AM, Peter Jackson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dear Adrien,
> Please forgive me for sending this direct to you, but I've had no reply from my posting on the 20th, which read:
>
> I have just noticed that the budget total figures are no longer correct.
> Thus for example, in Expenses Budget , the displayed  Monthly total at the top of the column for each month does not equal the sum of the individual account budgets.
>
> This imbalance then reflects across all budget reports.
>
> I am pretty certain that this is a new issue, as I tend to balance regularly with a spreadsheet.
>
> Any suggestions
>
> Thanks
>
> Peter
>

> Tel: 01568 750 248 Mob: 07955 586 476

Re: [GNC] Problems with Budget

Adrien Monteleone-2
On a side note, it turns out I was mistaken about that Mailman functionality. Apparently, if I’m in the recipient list, I get that message (no way for Mailman to prevent that as it is handled independently) but Mailmain simply doesn’t send me its own copy. As a result, and since the sender composes in HTML, I received the HTML version instead of the usual plain text version I prefer from Mailman. (odd that Mail.app doesn’t allow me to specify plain text receipt, only plain text sending)

> On Jan 23, 2019, at 6:50 AM, Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Peter,
>
> You copied the list which is the important part. While you included me, I only get the list copy. (that used to not happen, I think a mailman bug or setting was fixed) On that note, please *DO NOT* e-mail me only (and not the list) concerning GnuCash questions unless invited to do so. The wiki covers this etiquette question. Certainly, not getting a prompt reply is no cause for such action, and it isn’t likely to get you a faster response. Everyone is a volunteer here. I’m just a user like you that occasionally helps others on the list where I can. I’m not part of the development team—and they’d prefer you use the list.
>
> To your question, check your settings for the budget. I’ve encountered something similar in the recent past (and posted a thread about it) and it took me some time to track it down. It hinged on the setting for ’same week and day’.
>
> It caused me to see results which didn’t seem to take into account transactions posted in a particular period because they weren’t directly comparable across periods of different lengths. (the setting ’normalizes’ period lengths so you aren’t comparing a 28 day month to a 31 day month) If you have this enabled, uncheck it and see if this resolves your dilemma. Otherwise, I can’t say I have a solution for you.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
>
>> On Jan 23, 2019, at 5:20 AM, Peter Jackson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Dear Adrien,
>> Please forgive me for sending this direct to you, but I've had no reply from my posting on the 20th, which read:
>>
>> I have just noticed that the budget total figures are no longer correct.
>> Thus for example, in Expenses Budget , the displayed  Monthly total at the top of the column for each month does not equal the sum of the individual account budgets.
>>
>> This imbalance then reflects across all budget reports.
>>
>> I am pretty certain that this is a new issue, as I tend to balance regularly with a spreadsheet.
>>
>> Any suggestions
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Peter
>>

>> Tel: 01568 750 248 Mob: 07955 586 476

Re: [GNC] Problems with Budget

Adrien Monteleone-2
I see that now, check the reply I sent on the thread.

On that note, last time, do not message me directly and only. I’m forwarding this to the list. Others may benefit from knowing my suggestion did not address the issue. This is not a private conversation.