[GNC] Problems moving vertical lines between columns on registers

[GNC] Problems moving vertical lines between columns on registers

James Fuller

Hi Guys,

I'm having a problem figuring out how to move the vertical lines
defining columns on registers.   I seem to remember that you place a
mouse cursor on the vertical line, hold down the right mouse button, and
move left or right to change the width of of the columns.  When I do
that, the vertical line moves with my mouse. When I let go of the right
button the line zips back.

I'm using 3.2 Gnucash on a Windows 7 HP desktop.  What am I doing
wrong?  BTW, I have read the Help Manual until I'm blue in the face and
can't find it.

Thank you

James Fuller

Re: [GNC] Problems moving vertical lines between columns on registers

David Carlson-4
James,

Keep in mind that in the register view the description column is a special
case that essentially defaults to use all the space that is not explicitly
given to other columns.

This means setting the other widths first, then dragging the right edge of
the description column title box leftward and letting it snap back until
there is no horizontal scrollbar at the bottom.

Of course, this can get awkward for users that run the program on computers
with different display and font settings.  Since those settings are defined
as user settings, different computers normally each keep their own
settings, but if one accesses the program remotely via ssh, for example, it
can still get very interesting.

David Carlson

On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 6:15 PM James Fuller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I'm having a problem figuring out how to move the vertical lines
> defining columns on registers.   I seem to remember that you place a
> mouse cursor on the vertical line, hold down the right mouse button, and
> move left or right to change the width of of the columns.  When I do
> that, the vertical line moves with my mouse. When I let go of the right
> button the line zips back.
>
> I'm using 3.2 Gnucash on a Windows 7 HP desktop.  What am I doing
> wrong?  BTW, I have read the Help Manual until I'm blue in the face and
> can't find it.
>
> Thank you
>
> James Fuller

David Carlson

Re: [GNC] Problems moving vertical lines between columns on registers

James Fuller

David,
thanks very much.  after some cut and try I got what I Need.
I appreciate the help.
Regards,
James

On 8/12/2019 6:09 PM, David Carlson wrote:

> James,
>
> Keep in mind that in the register view the description column is a
> special case that essentially defaults to use all the space that is
> not explicitly given to other columns.
>
> This means setting the other widths first, then dragging the right
> edge of the description column title box leftward and letting it snap
> back until there is no horizontal scrollbar at the bottom.
>
> Of course, this can get awkward for users that run the program on
> computers with different display and font settings.  Since those
> settings are defined as user settings, different computers normally
> each keep their own settings, but if one accesses the program remotely
> via ssh, for example, it can still get very interesting.
>
> David Carlson
>
> On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 6:15 PM James Fuller <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>

>     Hi Guys,
>
>     I'm having a problem figuring out how to move the vertical lines
>     defining columns on registers.   I seem to remember that you place a
>     mouse cursor on the vertical line, hold down the right mouse
>     button, and
>     move left or right to change the width of of the columns. When I do
>     that, the vertical line moves with my mouse. When I let go of the
>     right
>     button the line zips back.
>
>     I'm using 3.2 Gnucash on a Windows 7 HP desktop.  What am I doing
>     wrong?  BTW, I have read the Help Manual until I'm blue in the
>     face and
>     can't find it.
>
>     Thank you
>
>     James Fuller

>     If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
>     https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
>     -----
>     Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>     You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
>

> --
> David Carlson

Re: [GNC] Problems moving vertical lines between columns on

As covered in the note at https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v3/C/gnucash-guide/basics-running-gnucash.html#basics-register2

  On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 5:40, David Carlson<[hidden email]> wrote:   James,

Keep in mind that in the register view the description column is a special
case that essentially defaults to use all the space that is not explicitly
given to other columns.

This means setting the other widths first, then dragging the right edge of
the description column title box leftward and letting it snap back until
there is no horizontal scrollbar at the bottom.

Of course, this can get awkward for users that run the program on computers
with different display and font settings.  Since those settings are defined
as user settings, different computers normally each keep their own
settings, but if one accesses the program remotely via ssh, for example, it
can still get very interesting.

David Carlson

On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 6:15 PM James Fuller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I'm having a problem figuring out how to move the vertical lines
> defining columns on registers.  I seem to remember that you place a
> mouse cursor on the vertical line, hold down the right mouse button, and
> move left or right to change the width of of the columns.  When I do
> that, the vertical line moves with my mouse. When I let go of the right
> button the line zips back.
>
> I'm using 3.2 Gnucash on a Windows 7 HP desktop.  What am I doing
> wrong?  BTW, I have read the Help Manual until I'm blue in the face and
> can't find it.
>
> Thank you
>
> James Fuller

David Carlson

Re: [GNC] Problems moving vertical lines between columns on registers

Greg Feneis
You can also double click the column headers of all but the description
column. Last, double click the header for the description column.

This automatically sets the columns' widths to just the minimum needed to
display the contents of the fields, except the description column.
Description column automatically adjusts to normalize the page width.

Kind regards, Greg Feneis
(Pixel 3)