[GNC] Problems Accessing GnuCash Files on my D:\

[GNC] Problems Accessing GnuCash Files on my D:\

brob2684
I've been saving my gnucash files to
D:\Documents\<name>\Data\GnuCash\Balsheet.gnucash for a very long time, and
never had any issues.

Unfortunately, sometime in the past fortnight (not sure when, but that's the
last time I used GnuCash) something odd has gone on.

I can no longer open GnuCash files off my D:\ (or save files). However, if I
open the same file off my backup drive, it works flawlessly.

If I copy the file from my backup drive to my D:\, GnuCash doesn't work, but
it will continue to open files on my backup drive.

The error message I receive when opening a file from my D:\ is:
    The server at URL D:\Documents\<name>\Data\GnuCash\Balsheet.gnucash
experienced an error or encountered bad or corrupt data.

A previous post suggested that it might be a permissions issue, but I have
given Everyone write permission to that folder on my D:\ and there's no
change in behaviour.

When attempting to save an opened file from my backup drive to my D:\
results in the following message:
    Gnucash could not obtain the lock file for
D:\Documents\<name>\Data\GnuCash\Balsheet.gnucash. That database may be in
use by another user, in which case you should not save the database. Do you
want to proceed with saving the database?
    Selecting "Save" results in no file being saved.

The trace file doesn't seem to be helpful either. When opening I get:
                * 19:05:47  WARN <gnc.app-utils> Could not spawn perl: Failed to execute
child process (No such file or directory)
                * 19:05:47  CRIT <gnc.backend.dbi> [error_handler()] DBI error: 14: unable
to open database file

When saving a file to the D:\, the trace contens are:
                * 18:44:23  WARN <gnc.app-utils> Could not spawn perl: Failed to execute
child process (No such file or directory)
                * 18:57:19  WARN <gnc.backend> [GncXmlBackend::check_path()] Couldn't find
D:\Documents\<name>\Data\GnuCash\Balsheet.gnucash

There haven't been any new programs installed in the past three weeks, only
the standard Microsoft updates to Maps, Voice Recorder, et al, and an update
to Acrobat Reader.

I have no issues saving Microsoft Word files to the above path. Does anyone
have any suggestions as to what I might be able to try in order to rectify
the issue between GnuCash and my D:\ as it is really baffling me?

Thanks in advance,
brob2684

Re: [GNC] Problems Accessing GnuCash Files on my D:\

Colin Law
On Fri, 8 Mar 2019 at 08:41, brob2684 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've been saving my gnucash files to
> D:\Documents\<name>\Data\GnuCash\Balsheet.gnucash for a very long time, and
> never had any issues.
>
> Unfortunately, sometime in the past fortnight (not sure when, but that's the
> last time I used GnuCash) something odd has gone on.
>
> I can no longer open GnuCash files off my D:\ (or save files). However, if I
> open the same file off my backup drive, it works flawlessly.
>
> If I copy the file from my backup drive to my D:\, GnuCash doesn't work, but
> it will continue to open files on my backup drive.

Are you using File > Open to open the file?  If so are you able to
browse the folders on D: ok and see all the files there?

If you copy the file that you can't open from D: to a different drive
are you able to open it from there?

What happens if you open the file from the backup folder and then use
File > Save As to save it to D:?

If you try to open something like a .doc file from the same folder on
D: in Word or whatever you use is that ok?  Are you able to save it
again.  That may tell you if it is a system problem rather than a
GnuCash problem.

Colin

Re: [GNC] Problems Accessing GnuCash Files on my D:\

David Carlson-4
 brob268,

When you get the " Gnucash could not obtain the lock file for..." message,
it appears that you actually have the copy on your D: drive open rather
than your backup.  Have you checked the file dates of each copy and the
most recent Gnucash backups (with the .2019xxxx.gnucash suffix in the
name)  in each location?

What version of GnuCash are you using, what version of Windows are you
using, and how is your drive D: connected to your computer?  When you tried
editing a document on your D: drive per Colin's suggestion, did that work?
How do you address your backup and how is it connected?  How and when do
you back up your D; drive? Have you been diligent about updating Windows OS
and the OS on your D: server?

--
David Carlson

Re: [GNC] Problems Accessing GnuCash Files on my D:\

brob2684
Hi Colin and David

Thanks very much for your replies.

Colin Law wrote
> Are you using File > Open to open the file?  If so are you able to
> browse the folders on D: ok and see all the files there?

It makes no difference whether I double click on the file, or go file open.

If you copy the file that you can't open from D: to a different drive
are you able to open it from there?

Yes, if I copy the file off the D: drive to my backup drive, I can open it
there. No need to change permissions, or anything, it just works. The
problem seems to be restricted to my D:.

What happens if you open the file from the backup folder and then use
File > Save As to save it to D:?

I get the following message if I try to save the database in XML format as a
new file:
    Gnucash could not obtain the lock file for
D:\Documents\<name>\Data\GnuCash\Balsheet-new.gnucash. That database may be
in
use by another user, in which case you should not save the database. Do you
want to proceed with saving the database?
    Selecting "Save" results in no file being saved.

And if I try to save the database in sqlite3 format, I get the following
message:
    Can't parse the URL
D:\Documents\<name>\Data\GnuCash\Balsheet-new.gnucash
Again, no file is saved.

If I try to save the file as an XML file overwriting an existing file in the
directory, I get the following message:
    Could not make a backup of the file
D:\Documents\<name>\Data\GnuCash\Balsheet.gnucash

If I try to save the file as a sqlite3 file overwriting an existing file in
the directory, I get the following message:
    The server at URL D:\Documents\<name>\Data\GnuCash\Balsheet.gnucash
experienced an error or encountered bad or corrupt data.

I am no longer getting the lock error message this morning when attempting
to overwrite. I did this step before attempting to open a file on my D:, so
as David Carlson suggested, it is quite likely I may have had a copy of the
original file open yesterday when I was trying to save as and overwrite it.

If you try to open something like a .doc file from the same folder on
D: in Word or whatever you use is that ok?  Are you able to save it
again.  That may tell you if it is a system problem rather than a
GnuCash problem.

As I said in my initial message, I have no problems saving to the same
directory from Microsoft Word. Also, being explicit this time round, I can
open, edit and save the same file in Word without issue.

When you get the " Gnucash could not obtain the lock file for..." message,
it appears that you actually have the copy on your D: drive open rather
than your backup.  Have you checked the file dates of each copy and the
most recent Gnucash backups (with the .2019xxxx.gnucash suffix in the
name)  in each location?

It's quite possible a version I had attempted to open may have been open in
the background yesterday as I am no longer receiving that specific error
message this morning after rebooting my PC. However, as shown by the saving
tests I conducted for Colin above, I still cannot save to the D: location.
Nor can I open a guncash file from that location without error.

What version of GnuCash are you using, what version of Windows are you
using, and how is your drive D: connected to your computer?  When you tried
editing a document on your D: drive per Colin's suggestion, did that work?
How do you address your backup and how is it connected?  How and when do
you back up your D; drive? Have you been diligent about updating Windows OS
and the OS on your D: server?

GnuCash 3.4 from December 2018. This hasn't changed in the past two weeks
(it was installed back in January). I have uninstalled and reinstalled
GnuCash to no avail.

My primary hard drive is split into two partitions, the C: where Windows
resides and the D: where I save my data. The My Documents folder has been
moved to the D:, but it's been this way since the computer was set up, so
again this hasn't changed. GnuCash has no issues saving or opening a file to
C:\Users\<name>.

The backup question was a good one. I have two backups - one saved to a WD
MyBook Elite drive that is directly connected to the PC and accessed via the
L: (I have no idea why Windows gave it that letter, I do not have that many
drives). The files saved here have no issues. The WD backup software hasn't
been updated in years (but it's the latest version on issue). This backup
has not changed.

My NAS also takes a backup of the D: periodically and saves it in read-only
format. I am experiencing the same access errors here. However, I must admit
I have never before tried to open a GnuCash backup file off the NAS. Copying
this file to my WD Backup and unticking the read-only flag sees GnuCash
again work correctly. As far as I can tell, the NAS hasn't been updated
recently - it tends to run and not give me any grief so it's been left
alone.

Windows 10 updates get downloaded and installed automatically. The Windows
version is 1809 and the OS build is 17763.316 (no idea what the difference
between the two numbers is).

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I don't mind if I can't directly access
the files from my NAS, but I am perplexed as to why GnuCash won't read/write
from my D:.

Thanks again,
brob2684

Re: [GNC] Problems Accessing GnuCash Files on my D:\

brob2684
Hi Colin and David,

I've done a bit more digging and it began to looks like there was a small
chance the issue is linked to the special Windows folders.

If I move a copy of my gnucash file to an existing directory on D:\ that is
not a special Windows folder (e.g. D:\Filing or D:\Tmp) then gnucash opens
the file without issue.

On the other hand, if I move the file to a special Windows folder (e.g.
D:\Documents or D:\Favorites or D:\Desktop or D:\Pictures). Surprisingly,
D:\Downloads works without issue.

I haven't made any changes to this setup in the past fortnight.

A fair bit of further random, seemingly aimless Googling along the above
lines kept turning up recommendations about permissions, none of which
worked.

----------------------------

However, I eventually turned up this little chestnut:

https://superuser.com/questions/1293897/cannot-save-files-to-desktop-in-windows-10

It seems "Controlled folder access" was switched on. From what I've read,
it's supposed to be an opt-in feature, and when enabled, it uses a mechanism
to track apps trying to make changes to files in the protected folders. If
the app is malicious, or it's not recognized, the feature will in real-time
block the attempt, and you'll get a notification of the suspicious activity.

So it looks like my problem stems from opting in (sorry, I have no
recollection of doing so) but I've also received no notifications of
suspicious activity either.

Disabling this means I can open/save/edit files in GnuCash that are written
to my D:\Documents folder again.

Thanks both for your help,
brob2684

Re: [GNC] Problems Accessing GnuCash Files on my D:\

Ronal B Morse-2
Could this be an ACL (access control list) related?

Linux doesn't use them (nor does the Mac, as far as I know)
but Windows does and from what I understand a broken or
incorrect ACL config could cause this kind of behavior.

Totally clueless about how to check or what to do, but since
no one mentioned the possibility...

RBM

On Fri, 2019-03-08 at 13:41 -0600, brob2684 wrote:

> Hi Colin and David,
>
> I've done a bit more digging and it began to looks like
> there was a small
> chance the issue is linked to the special Windows folders.
>
> If I move a copy of my gnucash file to an existing
> directory on D:\ that is
> not a special Windows folder (e.g. D:\Filing or D:\Tmp)
> then gnucash opens
> the file without issue.
>
> On the other hand, if I move the file to a special Windows
> folder (e.g.
> D:\Documents or D:\Favorites or D:\Desktop or D:\Pictures).
> Surprisingly,
> D:\Downloads works without issue.
>
> I haven't made any changes to this setup in the past
> fortnight.
>
> A fair bit of further random, seemingly aimless Googling
> along the above
> lines kept turning up recommendations about permissions,
> none of which
> worked.
>
> ----------------------------
>
> However, I eventually turned up this little chestnut:
>
> https://superuser.com/questions/1293897/cannot-save-files-to-desktop-in-windows-10
>
> It seems "Controlled folder access" was switched on. From
> what I've read,
> it's supposed to be an opt-in feature, and when enabled, it
> uses a mechanism
> to track apps trying to make changes to files in the
> protected folders. If
> the app is malicious, or it's not recognized, the feature
> will in real-time
> block the attempt, and you'll get a notification of the
> suspicious activity.
>
> So it looks like my problem stems from opting in (sorry, I
> have no
> recollection of doing so) but I've also received no
> notifications of
> suspicious activity either.
>
> Disabling this means I can open/save/edit files in GnuCash
> that are written
> to my D:\Documents folder again.
>
> Thanks both for your help,
> brob2684
>

> --
> Sent from:
> http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-User-f1415819.html
> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more
> information.

Re: [GNC] Problems Accessing GnuCash Files on my D:\

Kenneth Schneider
Most filesystems in Linux support ACL’s.

Ken Schneider

> On Mar 8, 2019, at 7:09 PM, Ronal B Morse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Could this be an ACL (access control list) related?
>
> Linux doesn't use them (nor does the Mac, as far as I know)
> but Windows does and from what I understand a broken or
> incorrect ACL config could cause this kind of behavior.
>
> Totally clueless about how to check or what to do, but since
> no one mentioned the possibility...
>
> RBM
>

>> On Fri, 2019-03-08 at 13:41 -0600, brob2684 wrote:
>> Hi Colin and David,
>>
>> I've done a bit more digging and it began to looks like
>> there was a small
>> chance the issue is linked to the special Windows folders.
>>
>> If I move a copy of my gnucash file to an existing
>> directory on D:\ that is
>> not a special Windows folder (e.g. D:\Filing or D:\Tmp)
>> then gnucash opens
>> the file without issue.
>>
>> On the other hand, if I move the file to a special Windows
>> folder (e.g.
>> D:\Documents or D:\Favorites or D:\Desktop or D:\Pictures).
>> Surprisingly,
>> D:\Downloads works without issue.
>>
>> I haven't made any changes to this setup in the past
>> fortnight.
>>
>> A fair bit of further random, seemingly aimless Googling
>> along the above
>> lines kept turning up recommendations about permissions,
>> none of which
>> worked.
>>
>> ----------------------------
>>
>> However, I eventually turned up this little chestnut:
>>
>> https://superuser.com/questions/1293897/cannot-save-files-to-desktop-in-windows-10
>>
>> It seems "Controlled folder access" was switched on. From
>> what I've read,
>> it's supposed to be an opt-in feature, and when enabled, it
>> uses a mechanism
>> to track apps trying to make changes to files in the
>> protected folders. If
>> the app is malicious, or it's not recognized, the feature
>> will in real-time
>> block the attempt, and you'll get a notification of the
>> suspicious activity.
>>
>> So it looks like my problem stems from opting in (sorry, I
>> have no
>> recollection of doing so) but I've also received no
>> notifications of
>> suspicious activity either.
>>
>> Disabling this means I can open/save/edit files in GnuCash
>> that are written
>> to my D:\Documents folder again.
>>
>> Thanks both for your help,
>> brob2684
>>

>> --
>> Sent from:
>> http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-User-f1415819.html
>> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more
>> information.

Re: [GNC] Problems Accessing GnuCash Files on my D:\

Ronal B Morse-2
Thanks for the correction. I (obviously) didn't know that.

RBM

On Fri, 2019-03-08 at 20:24 -0500, Kenneth Schneider wrote:

> [...]
> > > have no
> > > recollection of doing so) but I've also received no
> > > notifications of
> > > suspicious activity either.
> > >
> > > Disabling this means I can open/save/edit files in
> > > GnuCash
> > > that are written
> > > to my D:\Documents folder again.
> > >
> > > Thanks both for your help,
> > > brob2684
> > >

> > > --
> > > Sent from:
> > > http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-User-f1415819.html
> > > If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
> > > https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more
> > > information.
> > > -----

> > https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more
> > information.

Re: [GNC] Problems Accessing GnuCash Files on my D:\

Ronal B Morse-2 wrote
> Could this be an ACL (access control list) related?

Thanks for the thoughts, but it turns out it the problem was "controlled
folder access".

If it turns out you can't save to a whole bunch of Windows special folders
(or subfolders therein), but you can to all other directories, you might
have this feature switched on.

This was the link that saved me:
https://superuser.com/questions/1293897/cannot-save-files-to-desktop-in-windows-10

Everything is working normally again now.

Thanks everyone for their assistance and ideas.

Regards,
brob2684