[GNC] Problem with Splits

GnuCash - User mailing list

From: Gareth Davies [mailto:[hidden email]]
Sent: 11 February 2019 11:54
To: '[hidden email]' <[hidden email]>
Subject: Problem with Splits

Windows 10, GC v 3.2.

Help.

Hi, I am having a problem trying to get an Account in Assets to
automatically decrease or increase when I update and income or expense under
a different heading.

I have tried setting it up, but it doesn't seem to work.

Gareth

Re: [GNC] Problem with Splits

Adrien Monteleone-2
Gareth,

Not sure exactly what you mean with respect to "a different heading."

As a general rule, I’d enter all transactions in the account the money is coming from.

So if you are entering an expense, open your cash or checking account that you are using to pay the expense, and enter it there.

If you are entering receipt of money, open the relevant income account and enter the transaction showing where the money went. (cash/checking/undeposited funds, etc.)

You can enter a transaction into any account, but by sticking to this workflow you can eliminate lots of confusion. You can also use the General Journal but that too can introduce confusion if you aren’t careful.

I’d also highly recommend turning on Double Line mode and Transaction Journal under the View Menu. This will show all information for the transaction at all times and will help you to learn what GnuCash is doing as well as get a handle on double-entry accounting. (it will also help if you use Formal Accounting labels, which will make all accounts show the debit/credit columns rather than various labels which depend on account type)

> On Feb 11, 2019, at 11:13 AM, Gareth Davies via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Windows 10, GC v 3.2.
>

> Help.
>

> Hi, I am having a problem trying to get an Account in Assets to
> automatically decrease or increase when I update and income or expense under
> a different heading.
>

> I have tried setting it up, but it doesn't seem to work.
>

> Gareth

Re: [GNC] Problem with Splits

Christian Kluge
Hi,

my general rule of thumb is to always entering from an asset or
liability account.

(Which might have something to do with the fact that in the software I
use at work one account is autofilled from the last transaction).

This way its also easier to keep track of bank accounts balance
and you don’t to switch account windows that often.

Kind regards

Christian Kluge

Am 11.02.2019 um 20:07 schrieb Adrien Monteleone:

> Gareth,
>
> Not sure exactly what you mean with respect to "a different heading."
>
> As a general rule, I’d enter all transactions in the account the money is coming from.
>
> So if you are entering an expense, open your cash or checking account that you are using to pay the expense, and enter it there.
>
> If you are entering receipt of money, open the relevant income account and enter the transaction showing where the money went. (cash/checking/undeposited funds, etc.)
>
> You can enter a transaction into any account, but by sticking to this workflow you can eliminate lots of confusion. You can also use the General Journal but that too can introduce confusion if you aren’t careful.
>
> I’d also highly recommend turning on Double Line mode and Transaction Journal under the View Menu. This will show all information for the transaction at all times and will help you to learn what GnuCash is doing as well as get a handle on double-entry accounting. (it will also help if you use Formal Accounting labels, which will make all accounts show the debit/credit columns rather than various labels which depend on account type)
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
>
>> On Feb 11, 2019, at 11:13 AM, Gareth Davies via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> Windows 10, GC v 3.2.
>>

>> Help.
>>

>> Hi, I am having a problem trying to get an Account in Assets to
>> automatically decrease or increase when I update and income or expense under
>> a different heading.
>>

>> I have tried setting it up, but it doesn't seem to work.
>>

>> Gareth

Re: [GNC] Problem with Splits

Mike or Penny Novack-4
On 2/11/2019 2:40 PM, Christian Kluge wrote:
> Hi,
>
> my general rule of thumb is to always entering from an asset or
> liability account.

  The proper "general rule" for a (one side) split transaction is to
enter it from the side (debit or credit) that is NOT being split. That
this is most often either and asset or a liability account just the
consequence of that most often the side of the transaction not being split.

Starting with an account on the side of the transaction being split will
make entry almost as difficult as entering a transaction that is split
on both sides.

You need an example? Say you are paying for your share of an expense X
and the person you are sharing with allows you to pay part in cash and
owe the rest. You would begin this split from the expense account (the
credit side being split  between cash (asset) and loan (liability)

Michael D Novack

Re: [GNC] Problem with Splits

Gareth,

There is no way that GnuCash automatically debits or credits an asset
account when you enter a transaction from an income or expense account. You
have to manually enter the second part of the transaction to create the
appropriate debit or credit to the asset account. When you have entered the
transaction into say an expense account you enter the first split

E.g. if you have the Expense:Clothes Account open and you enter the
transaction there
Date             Description                                   Account
Debit         Credit
12/12/19      Clothes
Expense:Clothes              $30

you will have to enter the second split which will credit your bank account.
To do this you can use the tab key after entering the $30 in the  debit
column to open   up the second split line.    In this line if you tab to the
Account field , click on the field to bring up the drop down list and select
Asset:Current Assets:Bank  (or whatever account you are spending the money
from) you will find the $30 appears in the Credit column to balance the
transaction. I.e. the account register now looks like:

Date             Description                                   Account
Debit         Credit
12/12/19      Clothes
Expense:Clothes                  $30.00

Asset:CurrentAssets:Bank                     $30.00

If you then hit return and then click anywhere else in the window (a
previous transaction or on the date for a new transaction the dialog asking
you to either  record or cancel the transaction will then come up. Select
Record and you are done.

See https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v3/C/gnucash-help/ch_Common_Trans_Ops.html
for more detail about entering transactions.

Re: [GNC] Problem with Splits

Christian Kluge
Am 11.02.2019 um 22:15 schrieb Michael or Penny Novack:

> On 2/11/2019 2:40 PM, Christian Kluge wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> my general rule of thumb is to always entering from an asset or
>> liability account.
>>
>  The proper "general rule" for a (one side) split transaction is to
> enter it from the side (debit or credit) that is NOT being split. That
> this is most often either and asset or a liability account just the
> consequence of that most often the side of the transaction not being split.
>
> Starting with an account on the side of the transaction being split will
> make entry almost as difficult as entering a transaction that is split
> on both sides.
>
> You need an example? Say you are paying for your share of an expense X
> and the person you are sharing with allows you to pay part in cash and
> owe the rest. You would begin this split from the expense account (the
> credit side being split  between cash (asset) and loan (liability)

This I would enter as either three transactions:

By expense to liabilities $100
By liabities to cash $50
By liabilities to loan $50

or if I assume that the loan exists even before I pay in cash:

By expense to loan $100
By loan to cash $50

Also who wants to change accounts all the time.

If I recording cash transactions I don’t go into revenue or expense
accounts but stick with cash.

I my examples above several expense/liability transactions would occur
before I even would post the cash transaction.

Kind regards

Christian Kluge

Re: [GNC] Problem with Splits

Mike or Penny Novack-4
On 2/12/2019 2:49 PM, Christian Kluge wrote:

Sorry, I made the assumption that since talking about "splits" you
already knew about entering "split transactions. Your example below,
showing it as multiple transactions, indicates otherwise. So taking your
example (a $100 expense paid for by $50 cash and a $50 loan ......

As I said, start with the UNSPLIT side. So I would enter from the
expense account, date, description, amount, and then instead of entering
the account of the other side (can't, more than one, that's what "split"
means) I would click on "split" above.

That brings up a different view for THAT transaction. There would be a
line for the debit (the expense account) with $100 and below that a line
also with $100 but "Imbalance" since account not yet specified. I would
change the amount on that line to $50 and enter cash for the account and
hit enter. That brings up a new line below with the new balance still
unspecified, still $50 and Imbalance. I specify the account "loan" and
hit enter, now no balance remaining, and enter again restores the  view
<< you no longer see the split details in that view >>

Advice --- do not shortcut and hit that last enter twice quickly. You
want to see/confirm that there was no balance for Imbalance remaining.

THAT describes a "one sided split" transaction. Do not attempt a
transaction split on both sides until/unless you are very experienced
entering splits << entering two sided often can mean first "lying" about
an amount and correcting that only after the other side of the
transaction has been done >>

Michael D Novack

> Am 11.02.2019 um 22:15 schrieb Michael or Penny Novack:
>> On 2/11/2019 2:40 PM, Christian Kluge wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> my general rule of thumb is to always entering from an asset or
>>> liability account.
>>>
>>   The proper "general rule" for a (one side) split transaction is to
>> enter it from the side (debit or credit) that is NOT being split. That
>> this is most often either and asset or a liability account just the
>> consequence of that most often the side of the transaction not being split.
>>
>> Starting with an account on the side of the transaction being split will
>> make entry almost as difficult as entering a transaction that is split
>> on both sides.
>>
>> You need an example? Say you are paying for your share of an expense X
>> and the person you are sharing with allows you to pay part in cash and
>> owe the rest. You would begin this split from the expense account (the
>> credit side being split  between cash (asset) and loan (liability)
>>
> This I would enter as either three transactions:
>
> By expense to liabilities $100
> By liabities to cash $50
> By liabilities to loan $50
>
> or if I assume that the loan exists even before I pay in cash:
>
> By expense to loan $100
> By loan to cash $50
>
> Also who wants to change accounts all the time.
>
> If I recording cash transactions I don’t go into revenue or expense
> accounts but stick with cash.
>
> I my examples above several expense/liability transactions would occur
> before I even would post the cash transaction.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Christian Kluge

There is no possibility of social justice on a dead planet except the equality of the grave.

Re: [GNC] Problem with Splits

Christian Kluge
Hello,

I just want to apologize, somehow the subject of this thread escaped my
mind maybe because the OP’s post I bit not understandable.

I obviously know what split transactions are and yes, if one account
remains unsplit I would go from there.

Kind regards

Christian Kluge