[GNC] Printing checks to a pdf file

Rich Shepard
I've looked through the guide without finding any information on paying
invoices and printing the checks to a pdf file. I'd like to do this and
transfer the .pdf to a host directly connected to the laser printer.

I've not tried this using gnucash and don't recall seeing that option when
paying bills.

Possible?

Rich

Re: [GNC] Printing checks to a pdf file

Ronal B Morse-2
Isn't that a system function?
I'm on Linux (Ubuntu 19.10) and when printing checks the option to
select "print to file" appears on the printer selection menu along with
the other printers configured for the system.  Selecting "print to
file" then opens another dialog where I can specify output as .pdf or
postrcript and the output filename and destination directory.
RBM

On Mon, 2019-10-07 at 16:06 -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:

> I've looked through the guide without finding any information on
> payinginvoices and printing the checks to a pdf file. I'd like to do
> this andtransfer the .pdf to a host directly connected to the laser
> printer.
> I've not tried this using gnucash and don't recall seeing that option
> whenpaying bills.
> Possible?
> Rich_______________________________________________gnucash-user
> mailing [hidden email]
> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.--
> ---Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.You can do
> this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

Re: [GNC] Printing checks to a pdf file

Stan Brown
On 2019-10-07 19:06, Rich Shepard wrote:
> I've looked through the guide without finding any information on paying
> invoices and printing the checks to a pdf file. I'd like to do this and
> transfer the .pdf to a host directly connected to the laser printer.
>
> I've not tried this using gnucash and don't recall seeing that option when
> paying bills.

Hi, Rich.

You didn't mention your operating system, so I will reply for Windows,
which is what I have. The way you do this is by installing a program
that acts like a printer as far as the OS is concerned, but prints to a
PDF file instead of paper. In other words, this is an add-on to Windows,
not an add-on to a particular application like GnuCash.

I have used CutePDF Writer(1) for longer than I can remember. Just
download it and install it like any other program. Then when you go to
print your checks, the printer selection dialog will contain a new entry
for CutePDF. Select that as the printer but don't make it the default.
CutePDF will generate the PDF and _then_ ask you to specify file name
and location, so don't worry that those choices don't appear in the
initial dialog.

(1) http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp

Stan Brown
Tompkins County, New York, USA
https://BrownMath.com
http://OakRoadSystems.com

On Mon, 7 Oct 2019, Ronal B Morse wrote:

> Isn't that a system function? I'm on Linux (Ubuntu 19.10) and when
> printing checks the option to select "print to file" appears on the
> printer selection menu along with the other printers configured for the
> system. Selecting "print to file" then opens another dialog where I can
> specify output as .pdf or postrcript and the output filename and
> destination directory.

Ronal,

I assumed this to be the case yet hadn't checked specificially before
sending the message. I should have done so.

Mea culpa,

On Tue, 8 Oct 2019, Stan Brown wrote:

> You didn't mention your operating system, so I will reply for Windows,

Stan,

linux. And if I had taken the time to look specifically at an example I
wouls have realized that the CUPS printer dialog box starts with print to
file.

My apologies,

Rich

Re: [GNC] Printing checks to a pdf file

If you’re on Win10 it includes a PDF virtual printer. (they’ve had a virtual XPS printer for a decade or more and finally gave up the fight over formats)

However, you might have to enable it (Turn Windows Features On and Off) and then add it as a printer in Devices > Printers & Scanners.