[GNC] Payroll Management with Time Attendance Machine

[GNC] Payroll Management with Time Attendance Machine

jason
Hi,

I was wondering, does GNUCash support Payroll Management with Time
Attendance Machine
(e.g An employee has a meal allowance "transferred by the end of the month",
however if he/she do not come to work, he/she will not receive the meal
allowance by the end of the month)

I was also wondering, does GNUCash support to print the salary slip "act as
a receipt"?

I really need this one, thank you.

Re: [GNC] Payroll Management with Time Attendance Machine

Adrien Monteleone-2
Jason,

I’m not sure what ’Time Management Attendance Machine’ is, but in general, no, you’d need to keep your time sheets separately. (There are plenty of stand-alone software options for this, as well as spreadsheet templates, or you could roll your own spreadsheet)

GnuCash does not have a built-in payroll module but some people use it for payroll. Payroll calculation can be very difficult and is very locale specific. You might be able to use Scheduled Transactions for this but if your pay practices vary wildly, you might be better off doing the calculations in a spreadsheet, generating the resulting transaction, importing it to GnuCash and then printing your checks.

See the wiki on ‘Using GnuCash’ for more help in this area, or do a list search on the topic.

You will also find info there on using the check printing feature to create pay stubs with the checks.

As for tracking allowances automatically, you could utilize the Scheduled Transactions feature to generate a liability for each one as they are earned (similar to how cash pay is earned) and simply not approve the creation of the transaction for those who didn’t work that day/period.

> On Mar 5, 2019, at 9:59 AM, jason <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering, does GNUCash support Payroll Management with Time
> Attendance Machine
> (e.g An employee has a meal allowance "transferred by the end of the month",
> however if he/she do not come to work, he/she will not receive the meal
> allowance by the end of the month)
>
> I was also wondering, does GNUCash support to print the salary slip "act as
> a receipt"?
>
> I really need this one, thank you.

Re: [GNC] Payroll Management with Time Attendance Machine

> On Mar 5, 2019, at 7:59 AM, jason <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering, does GNUCash support Payroll Management with Time
> Attendance Machine
> (e.g An employee has a meal allowance "transferred by the end of the month",
> however if he/she do not come to work, he/she will not receive the meal
> allowance by the end of the month)
>
> I was also wondering, does GNUCash support to print the salary slip "act as
> a receipt"?
>
> I really need this one, thank you.

No to both.

Re: [GNC] Payroll Management with Time Attendance Machine

> On Mar 5, 2019, at 8:16 AM, Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Jason,
>
> I’m not sure what ’Time Management Attendance Machine’ is

It's a $10 name for https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_clock.

[GNC] Getting security prices - Funnies

Eric Coates
I am running GnuCash 2.9.16 (with Finance Quote 1.47) on Ubuntu 16.04.

In the course of some fairly standard (for me) work I have come across a
couple of "funnies" and I'm wondering whether they are deliberate,
"features" (from Microsoft's vocabulary meaning a bug that won't be
fixed), bugs or me doing something wrong.

On the last day of the month I need to revalue my share portfolio. Like
others, I have been a victim of Alphvantage's throttling of their
service but unlike others I have not (yet) screwed up my courage and
updated the the related file to incorporate the delays suggested.

I open the Securities Editor, make sure that the Get Quote column is
shown (and, for simplicity at this stage, I'll assume no securities are
ticked) and then, by double clicking on a security I get to the Security
Information window and select Get Online Quotes, click Unknown and
select Alphavantage from the drop down. I do this for five securities
(no point in doing it for more because of the Alphavantage limitation).
In the Price Editor I click Get Quotes and, after a wait, I get the
prices for the five securities I selected.

Having got those five prices I need to select a second batch of
securities. But (*first funny*) I cannot deselect the previously
selected securities by clicking on the tick - I have to go back to the
Security Information to do that. Is that intended?

Having deselected the Get Quote for a security, I have noted that if, in
the same session of working with GnuCash, I return to the same security
the Get Online Quotes option is not selected but the associated options
are still intact. However (*second funny*), if I exit GnuCash (after
saving of course) and then restart it and re-enter the Security Editor
only those securities that were left ticked as Get Quotes retain the
option information, all others are reset to the defaults.

These two funnies make getting security prices (using this method)
somewhat tedious and may mean that I have to really screw up my courage
and make the changes to the file.

Anticipating that one day I will screw up enough courage I have been
investigating the file Alphavantage.pm. On my system I have five of
them; in the directory ~/.cpan/build I have five directories three of
the form

    Finance-Quote-1.44-0 (they are 1.44-0, 1.45-0 and 1.47-0)

and two of the form

    Finance-Quote-1.47-iGUjLI (both are for 1.47 but with different
    tails, one of them has a closed padlock superimposed on the folder icon)

Is this a *third funny*? Do I need all of them? If not, how do I
determine which one I do need?

The *fourth **(or is it only the third?) **funny* I've noticed is that
if I rename a data file the Get Quote column is no longer visible in the
Security Editor window. It's easy to get back so this funny is trivial
but, out of interest, as the data file has not changed, why does it happen?

Best wishes

Eric

Re: [GNC] Getting security prices - Funnies

John Ralls

> [...]
>
> Anticipating that one day I will screw up enough courage I have been investigating the file Alphavantage.pm. On my system I have five of them; in the directory ~/.cpan/build I have five directories three of the form
>
>   Finance-Quote-1.44-0 (they are 1.44-0, 1.45-0 and 1.47-0)
>
> and two of the form
>
>   Finance-Quote-1.47-iGUjLI (both are for 1.47 but with different
>   tails, one of them has a closed padlock superimposed on the folder icon)
>
> Is this a *third funny*? Do I need all of them? If not, how do I determine which one I do need?
>
> The *fourth **(or is it only the third?) **funny* I've noticed is that if I rename a data file the Get Quote column is no longer visible in the Security Editor window. It's easy to get back so this funny is trivial but, out of interest, as the data file has not changed, why does it happen?

You might try using yahoo-json instead of Alphavantage. It's not throttled.

First funny: Yes, it's intentional. The check box in the Securities dialog box is display-only.
Second funny: That's an artifact of the difference between the in-memory state of the Security object and its representation on disk; if  "get quotes" is off then the quotes element isn't written out.
Third funny: I haven't seen that before. I've only seen the ones with the tail (which I think is randomly generated at build time). I imagine that the lock is because the directory belongs to another user. You can run ls -l on it in a terminal to see. Once F::Q is installed you don't need any of them.
Fourth funny: That's because the window state of all windows lives in a file named after the data file. When you rename the file outside of GnuCash the correspondence is lost.

Re: [GNC] Getting security prices - Funnies

Eric Coates
John

Thanks for the explanations - and the bonus of explaining what the
padlock means, the directory belongs (in this case) to root.

But, in my ignorance, I don't follow your comment that none of the
directories of the form

    Finance-Quote-1.44-0xxxx

are needed after F::Q is installed.

Ameer Sengar and nvsoar have said that the file

    AlphaVantage.pm

needs to be slightly modified to overcome the throttling. The only
copies of that file I can find on my system reside in the Finance-Quote
directories (albeit several subdirectories down). I would have thought
that deleting the Finance-Quote directories would negate the effect of
changing the AlphaVantage.pm file.

What am I missing?

On your comment about using yahoo-json instead of AlphaVantage it's
worth noting that the London Stock Exchange (where many of my securities
are listed) quotes prices in pennies but yahoo-json interprets the
numbers as pounds. Using yahoo-json makes one (appear to be) very rich!
(However, it does work correctly to get European stocks - at least on
the Frankfurt and Paris bourses - and I use it for those securities.)

Best wishes

Eric

After installation all of the files are copied to one of the directories in perl's @INC include list. What those directories are depends on the way perl is configured, but if you ran cpan as root then I'd expect them to be in /usr/lib/perl/<version> or /usr/lib/per5. For non-root installations ~/perl5 or ~/lib/perl5 are common.

> [...]
>> Second funny: That's an artifact of the difference between the in-memory state of the Security object and its representation on disk; if  "get quotes" is off then the quotes element isn't written out.
>> Third funny: I haven't seen that before. I've only seen the ones with the tail (which I think is randomly generated at build time). I imagine that the lock is because the directory belongs to another user. You can run ls -l on it in a terminal to see. Once F::Q is installed you don't need any of them.
>> Fourth funny: That's because the window state of all windows lives in a file named after the data file. When you rename the file outside of GnuCash the correspondence is lost.
>>
>> Regards,
>> John Ralls

Re: [GNC] Getting security prices - Funnies

Thank you for your patience, I've had a number of problems over the past
few days and I've only Just been able to get to dealing with this problem.

Short report: I've now got F::Q to successfully update the prices all my
securities.

Somewhat longer report in case it can help others:

Of the four directories you mentioned only one existed on my system and
that one was empty! Working on a hunch prompted by your note I went
*really* looking for copies of AlphaVantage.pm and found (amongst
several others) a copy in the directory

/usr/local/share/perl/5.22.1/Finance/Quote

After (taking precautions that nothing I did was irreversible and)
modding the AlphaVantage.pm file there, it all worked.

Thanks again

Best wishes

Eric

PS: That "*really* looking": Previously I was using the file search
offered in the Ubuntu GUI to find instances. This time I used the locate
command in the Terminal and that revealed (a lot) more instances. Trying
to undersatnd that is a problem for another day. There are other
"puzzles" as well but they are not GnuCash issues so I'll not mention
them here.