[GNC] Paying business vendor invoice: enter vendor's name twice

[GNC] Paying business vendor invoice: enter vendor's name twice

Rich Shepard
Just curious about this behavior that I finally noticed while paying vendor
invoices this morning.

Selecting Business -> New bill produces a dialog box with a text entry
widget for the vendor's name. When I enter the name and click the 'Select'
button, a new dialog pops up asking me to enter the vendor's name (again),
find it, then re-select it.

Why isn't the first selection of the vendor's name accepted and the
following action is to open an A/P transaction tab?

Regards,

Rich

Re: [GNC] Paying business vendor invoice: enter vendor's name twice

Adrien Monteleone-2
From the Help manual

7.10.1. New Bills

"Billing Info - Vendor - the issuing vendor. If you remember the company name you entered in the New Vendor window for this vendor, start to type it in this field and GnuCash will try auto complete it for you. Else, press the Select... button to access the Find Vendor window described in Section 7.9.2, “Find and Edit”. Highlight the vendor you are looking for with a click in the search results, then press the Select button.”

Notice the ‘else’ at the beginning of the second sentence. Only use that select button to open a find dialog if GnuCash doesn’t manage to give you the desired vendor in an auto-complete list.

And the last sentence saying to "press the Select button" is for the find dialog search results, not the New invoice dialog.

On Sat, 27 Apr 2019, Adrien Monteleone wrote:

> Notice the ‘else’ at the beginning of the second sentence. Only use that
> select button to open a find dialog if GnuCash doesn’t manage to give you
> the desired vendor in an auto-complete list.

Ah so. Having the 'Select' button immediately adjacent to the vendor name
text entry widget _implies_ the user wants to select that vendor. It has not
be obvious (or 'intuitive' as applications like to call it) that after
entering the vendor's name I just click the OK button. The position of the
dialog box suggested to me that gnucash should select the entered name.

And, I did not look in the manual for how to generate a new vendor invoice
because the menus seemed sufficiently easy to understand.

Thanks for clarifying,

Rich

Re: [GNC] Paying business vendor invoice: enter vendor's name twice

Rich Shepard
On Sat, 27 Apr 2019, Adrien Monteleone wrote:

> "Billing Info - Vendor - the issuing vendor. If you remember the company
> name you entered in the New Vendor window for this vendor, start to type
> it in this field and GnuCash will try auto complete it for you.

What's missing in this sentence are these four words, "then click the OK
button."

Op zaterdag 27 april 2019 21:03:37 CEST schreef Rich Shepard:

> On Sat, 27 Apr 2019, Adrien Monteleone wrote:
> > Notice the ‘else’ at the beginning of the second sentence. Only use that
> > select button to open a find dialog if GnuCash doesn’t manage to give you
> > the desired vendor in an auto-complete list.
>
> Ah so. Having the 'Select' button immediately adjacent to the vendor name
> text entry widget _implies_ the user wants to select that vendor. It has not
> be obvious (or 'intuitive' as applications like to call it) that after
> entering the vendor's name I just click the OK button. The position of the
> dialog box suggested to me that gnucash should select the entered name.

:)

A bit of history of how this came about:
The select button used to be the only way to select a vendor. Originally you
couldn't type anything in the box. That was even more burdensome. Then
directly typing a vendor name (and selecting it in the dropdown list) was
added, which was in many cases a big improvement. The select button wasn't
removed as sometimes you don't know the exact vendor name (different prefix or
something), or you need to enter a new one. Both options are still possible
via the select button.

I do agree the halfway fix is not perfect and can cause some confusion.

On Sun, 28 Apr 2019, Geert Janssens wrote:

> A bit of history of how this came about:
> The select button used to be the only way to select a vendor. Originally
> you couldn't type anything in the box. That was even more burdensome. Then
> directly typing a vendor name (and selecting it in the dropdown list) was
> added, which was in many cases a big improvement. The select button wasn't
> removed as sometimes you don't know the exact vendor name (different
> prefix or something), or you need to enter a new one. Both options are
> still possible via the select button.
>
> I do agree the halfway fix is not perfect and can cause some confusion.

Geert,

I understand. Designing UIs are like writing: we know what we mean when we
create the UI or document, but not everyone sees it the same way. This is
one reason communication can be difficult.

Reading your history suggests a solution that should be easy to implement:
move the Select button to the button row on the bottom, perhaps between the
Cancel and OK buttons. That puts all actions in the same place and separates
Select from OK. Just a thought.

Best regards,

Rich