[GNC] PDF export of reports

Raimund Strehl
Hi all,

Don't know if anyone else has noticed and if maybe there is a whole thread already, but PDF export has a flaw.
I have tested this on several Windows 10 machines on Gnucash 2.6 and 3.2/3.4.

Reports export fine to PDF, but at page transitions it can happen, that a line of text gets cut in half.

First half is on the end of one page and other half is at the start of next page.

This seems to happen independently of page size settings. If the lines in the report /e.g. general ledger report by chance match with the space available on the page it looks fine on that page,
but on the next page it can run into the problem.

I think what is missing is a command checking like this
IF this line does not fit on page
DO NOT start printing it
BUT send a new page command and continue with printing the line.

You can see, I am not a programmer

Any ideas for a solution or a workaround??

As it is now, I have to export as HTML, import in Excel and then print a useable PDF with clean page transitions

BR
Raimund

Re: [GNC] PDF export of reports

Tommy Trussell
On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 2:57 PM Raimund Strehl <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> PDF export has a flaw.
> I have tested this on several Windows 10 machines on Gnucash 2.6 and
> 3.2/3.4.
>
> Reports export fine to PDF, but at page transitions it can happen, that a
> line of text gets cut in half.
>
> First half is on the end of one page and other half is at the start of
>
> This seems to happen independently of page size settings. If the lines in
> the report /e.g. general ledger report by chance match with the space
> available on the page it looks fine on that page,
> but on the next page it can run into the problem.

> Any ideas for a solution or a workaround??
>
> As it is now, I have to export as HTML, import in Excel and then print a
> useable PDF with clean page transitions

This is a known bug, and the good news is you already know the workaround!
(Export as HTML, open the report in a web browser or some other program and
print to PDF from there.) You'll find that it probably also affects reports
sent to a printer.

I believe the bug has been addressed in NON-Windows versions of GnuCash,
but still affects Windows due to an outdated software "library" outside the
control of GnuCash developers.

Re: [GNC] PDF export of reports

Geert Janssens-4
Op zaterdag 26 januari 2019 00:40:11 CET schreef Tommy Trussell:

> On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 2:57 PM Raimund Strehl <[hidden email]>
>
> wrote:
> > PDF export has a flaw.
> > I have tested this on several Windows 10 machines on Gnucash 2.6 and
> > 3.2/3.4.
> >
> > Reports export fine to PDF, but at page transitions it can happen, that a
> > line of text gets cut in half.
> >
> > First half is on the end of one page and other half is at the start of
> >
> > This seems to happen independently of page size settings. If the lines in
> > the report /e.g. general ledger report by chance match with the space
> > available on the page it looks fine on that page,
> > but on the next page it can run into the problem.

> > Any ideas for a solution or a workaround??
> >
> > As it is now, I have to export as HTML, import in Excel and then print a
> > useable PDF with clean page transitions
>
> This is a known bug, and the good news is you already know the workaround!
> (Export as HTML, open the report in a web browser or some other program and
> print to PDF from there.) You'll find that it probably also affects reports
> sent to a printer.
>
> I believe the bug has been addressed in NON-Windows versions of GnuCash,
> but still affects Windows due to an outdated software "library" outside the
> control of GnuCash developers.

Unfortunately it's only addressed for linux. On MacOS we have the same issue.

Other than that you're dead on.

Re: [GNC] PDF export of reports

Jay Ridgley
On 1/26/19 2:50 AM, Geert Janssens wrote:

> Op zaterdag 26 januari 2019 00:40:11 CET schreef Tommy Trussell:
>> On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 2:57 PM Raimund Strehl <[hidden email]>
>>
>> wrote:
>>> PDF export has a flaw.
>>> I have tested this on several Windows 10 machines on Gnucash 2.6 and
>>> 3.2/3.4.
>>>
>>> Reports export fine to PDF, but at page transitions it can happen, that a
>>> line of text gets cut in half.
>>>
>>> First half is on the end of one page and other half is at the start of
>>>
>>> This seems to happen independently of page size settings. If the lines in
>>> the report /e.g. general ledger report by chance match with the space
>>> available on the page it looks fine on that page,
>>> but on the next page it can run into the problem.

>>> Any ideas for a solution or a workaround??
>>>
>>> As it is now, I have to export as HTML, import in Excel and then print a
>>> useable PDF with clean page transitions
>>
>> This is a known bug, and the good news is you already know the workaround!
>> (Export as HTML, open the report in a web browser or some other program and
>> print to PDF from there.) You'll find that it probably also affects reports
>> sent to a printer.
>>
>> I believe the bug has been addressed in NON-Windows versions of GnuCash,
>> but still affects Windows due to an outdated software "library" outside the
>> control of GnuCash developers.
>
> Unfortunately it's only addressed for linux. On MacOS we have the same issue.

Geert,

What version of of Ubuntu contains the fix? I am running 2.6.12 under
Ubuntu 16-04.5 LTS.

Thanks,
Jay

> Other than that you're dead on.
>
> Regards,
>
> Geert

Jay Ridgley
jridgley2 at austin.rr.com
Registered Linux User ID - 9115
https://linuxcounter.net/cert/9115.png
Registered Ubuntu User ID - 23320

Re: [GNC] PDF export of reports

Geert Janssens-4
Op zaterdag 26 januari 2019 13:02:38 CET schreef Jay Ridgley:

> On 1/26/19 2:50 AM, Geert Janssens wrote:
> > Op zaterdag 26 januari 2019 00:40:11 CET schreef Tommy Trussell:
> >> On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 2:57 PM Raimund Strehl
> >> <[hidden email]>
> >> This is a known bug, and the good news is you already know the
> >> workaround!
> >> (Export as HTML, open the report in a web browser or some other program
> >> and
> >> print to PDF from there.) You'll find that it probably also affects
> >> reports
> >> sent to a printer.
> >>
> >> I believe the bug has been addressed in NON-Windows versions of GnuCash,
> >> but still affects Windows due to an outdated software "library" outside
> >> the
> >> control of GnuCash developers.
> >
> > Unfortunately it's only addressed for linux. On MacOS we have the same
> > issue.
> Geert,
>
> What version of of Ubuntu contains the fix? I am running 2.6.12 under
> Ubuntu 16-04.5 LTS.

That I don't know. I do know it is fixed for gnucash 3.x on linux. So you'll
need to find a way to install that version on your system. I don't think it's
provided for Ubuntu 16.04.

Re: [GNC] PDF export of reports

Adrien Monteleone-2
I’ve built 2.6.21 and 3.x several times on 16.04 without issues following the wiki recipe. (and it is fairly painless now that the recipe has been simplified and improved)

> On Jan 26, 2019, at 6:50 AM, Geert Janssens <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Op zaterdag 26 januari 2019 13:02:38 CET schreef Jay Ridgley:

>>> Unfortunately it's only addressed for linux. On MacOS we have the same
>>> issue.
>> Geert,
>>
>> What version of of Ubuntu contains the fix? I am running 2.6.12 under
>> Ubuntu 16-04.5 LTS.
>
> That I don't know. I do know it is fixed for gnucash 3.x on linux. So you'll
> need to find a way to install that version on your system. I don't think it's
> provided for Ubuntu 16.04.
>
> Geert

Re: [GNC] PDF export of reports

Raimund Strehl
If I am not mistaken the same problem occurs when printing the report from Gnucash using print to pdf or to a printer. I think this is an issue that should have high priority as the export and print functions are rendered unusable by this.
Any coders listening in here?  :-)
Raimund

Raimund
________________________________
Op zaterdag 26 januari 2019 00:40:11 CET schreef Tommy Trussell:

> On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 2:57 PM Raimund Strehl <[hidden email]>
>
> wrote:
> > PDF export has a flaw.
> > I have tested this on several Windows 10 machines on Gnucash 2.6 and
> > 3.2/3.4.
> >
> > Reports export fine to PDF, but at page transitions it can happen, that a
> > line of text gets cut in half.
> >
> > First half is on the end of one page and other half is at the start of
> >
> > This seems to happen independently of page size settings. If the lines in
> > the report /e.g. general ledger report by chance match with the space
> > available on the page it looks fine on that page,
> > but on the next page it can run into the problem.

> > Any ideas for a solution or a workaround??
> >
> > As it is now, I have to export as HTML, import in Excel and then print a
> > useable PDF with clean page transitions
>
> This is a known bug, and the good news is you already know the workaround!
> (Export as HTML, open the report in a web browser or some other program and
> print to PDF from there.) You'll find that it probably also affects reports
> sent to a printer.
>
> I believe the bug has been addressed in NON-Windows versions of GnuCash,
> but still affects Windows due to an outdated software "library" outside the
> control of GnuCash developers.

Unfortunately it's only addressed for linux. On MacOS we have the same issue.

Other than that you're dead on.

Re: [GNC] PDF export of reports

> On Jan 26, 2019, at 4:50 AM, Geert Janssens <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Op zaterdag 26 januari 2019 13:02:38 CET schreef Jay Ridgley:

>>> Unfortunately it's only addressed for linux. On MacOS we have the same
>>> issue.
>> Geert,
>>
>> What version of of Ubuntu contains the fix? I am running 2.6.12 under
>> Ubuntu 16-04.5 LTS.
>
> That I don't know. I do know it is fixed for gnucash 3.x on linux. So you'll
> need to find a way to install that version on your system. I don't think it's
> provided for Ubuntu 16.04.

The fix is to upgrade to GnuCash 3.x, which uses WebKit2 instead of WebKit1 on Linux. WebKit2 won't build on Windows and while it builds on MacOS I can't get it to run Javascript so the charts are broken, so GnuCash uses WebKit1 on those platforms.

GnuCash 3.x is available in Debian testing. There's apparently a .deb available for Ubunutu 18.10 and Steven Butler has been working on making one available for 18.04; you can read about his efforts in the list archive.

If you're able to build from source, GnuCash 3.x is known to build on 14.04 and later... in fact building on 14.04 is part of our CI tests.

Re: [GNC] PDF export of reports

Op zaterdag 26 januari 2019 16:57:55 CET schreef Raimund Strehl:
> If I am not mistaken the same problem occurs when printing the report from
> Gnucash using print to pdf or to a printer. I think this is an issue that
> should have high priority as the export and print functions are rendered
> unusable by this. Any coders listening in here?  :-)
> Raimund
>
> Raimund

Feel free to jump in and provide the necessary patches...

The currently active devs are aware of the problem but as John explained in
another reply there's no easy solution. But there are a few workarounds:

1. open the reports in your favorite webbrowser and print from there
2. copy the report into Excel or LibreOffice calc (optionally adjust to your
taste) and print from there
3. run gnucash 3.x on linux and enjoy integrated printing/pdf export.

Regards,

geert

Re: [GNC] PDF export of reports

Raimund Strehl
I use the path via Excel now, and it works. Luckily I only print once a year.
I can't code unfortunately, otherwise this would be a nice challenge.
Raimund

Kopia: [hidden email]; Tommy Trussell <[hidden email]>
Ämne: Re: [GNC] PDF export of reports

Op zaterdag 26 januari 2019 16:57:55 CET schreef Raimund Strehl:
> If I am not mistaken the same problem occurs when printing the report
> from Gnucash using print to pdf or to a printer. I think this is an
> issue that should have high priority as the export and print functions
> are rendered unusable by this. Any coders listening in here?  :-)
> Raimund
>
> Raimund

Feel free to jump in and provide the necessary patches...

The currently active devs are aware of the problem but as John explained in another reply there's no easy solution. But there are a few workarounds:

1. open the reports in your favorite webbrowser and print from there 2. copy the report into Excel or LibreOffice calc (optionally adjust to your
taste) and print from there
3. run gnucash 3.x on linux and enjoy integrated printing/pdf export.

Regards,

geert

Re: [GNC] PDF export of reports

Michael or Penny Novack
On 1/26/2019 10:57 AM, Raimund Strehl wrote:
> If I am not mistaken the same problem occurs when printing the report from Gnucash using print to pdf or to a printer. I think this is an issue that should have high priority as the export and print functions are rendered unusable by this.
> Any coders listening in here?  :-)
> Raimund
>
> Raimund
Not EXACTLY unusable (export and print)

What you mean is that you can't do this DIRECTLY from gnucash. You have
to first export, perhaps into a format other than the final format you
want, convert that to another format, and print.

<< In other words, leaving aside gnucash for a moment, if you had some
document (not now a PDF) and you wanted that to be a PDF and you wanted
to print that PDF, how would you go about it. And if you can't answer
that immediately, if you had to learn to do some things first, THAT is
your real problem. Probably most of us who end up producing PDF
documents do not create them with a PDF capable word processor (Adobe
does not give THAT out for free) >>

Mind, I do not consider having to go through some process like that
extra work. The "finished product" (the financial reports) that as
treasurer I hand out to the directors at a meeting are NOT the raw
reports as coming out of gnucash. As treasurer, needing to also report
to various authorities, I need different levels of detail. And I want
the reports the boards look at to be "pretty printed" (maybe different
things in different size fonts, some things bold, annotations added,
etc.). In other words I want to be using a full feature editor, unfair
to expect gnucash to provide that internally.

Were I just producing personal printouts, I might resent the extra steps
more.

Michael D Novack