[GNC] Opening Balance

GnuCash - User mailing list
Hi All,

    Can I change my opening balance in my check book register?

Many thanks,
-T

prl

Re: [GNC] Opening Balance

prl
Opening balances in accounts are normally created with a tranasaction
from an equity account into the asset account. See section 4.6.2 Opening
Balances in the The Tutorial and Concepts Guide,
http://gnucash.org/viewdoc.phtml?rev=3&lang=C&doc=guide

Peter

On 30/03/2019 11:44, ToddAndMargo via gnucash-user wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>    Can I change my opening balance in my check book register?
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

Re: [GNC] Opening Balance

GnuCash - User mailing list

On 3/29/19 5:52 PM, prl wrote:
> Opening balances in accounts are normally created with a tranasaction
> from an equity account into the asset account. See section 4.6.2 Opening
> Balances in the The Tutorial and Concepts Guide,
> http://gnucash.org/viewdoc.phtml?rev=3&lang=C&doc=guide
>
> Peter

I can't tell what they are saying in 4.6.2.

My goal was to open a check register with a phony
opening balance, start entering checks into it, then
when I get my bank statement, correct the opening balance.

Can I do this?

Re: [GNC] Opening Balance

David Carlson-4
Absolutely.  I would include the word Approximately to help remember that
you have not corrected it yet.

David Carlson

On Fri, Mar 29, 2019 at 8:15 PM ToddAndMargo via gnucash-user <
[hidden email]> wrote:

>  > On 30/03/2019 11:44, ToddAndMargo via gnucash-user wrote:
>  >> Hi All,
>  >>
>  >>    Can I change my opening balance in my check book register?
>  >>
>  >> Many thanks,
>  >> -T
>  >>
>  >
>
> On 3/29/19 5:52 PM, prl wrote:
> > Opening balances in accounts are normally created with a tranasaction
> > from an equity account into the asset account. See section 4.6.2 Opening
> > Balances in the The Tutorial and Concepts Guide,
> > http://gnucash.org/viewdoc.phtml?rev=3&lang=C&doc=guide
> >
> > Peter
> >

> I can't tell what they are saying in 4.6.2.
>
> My goal was to open a check register with a phony
> opening balance, start entering checks into it, then
> when I get my bank statement, correct the opening balance.
>
> Can I do this?

David Carlson

Re: [GNC] Opening Balance

GnuCash - User mailing list

On 3/29/19 6:25 PM, David Carlson wrote:
> Absolutely.  I would include the word Approximately to help remember
> that you have not corrected it yet.
>

> David Carlson

Thank you!

prl

Re: [GNC] Opening Balance

prl
That check will also be done automatically when Todd reconciles the
account when he gets his next statement :)

Peter

On 30/03/2019 12:25, David Carlson wrote:

> Absolutely.  I would include the word Approximately to help remember that
> you have not corrected it yet.
>

> David Carlson
>
> On Fri, Mar 29, 2019 at 8:15 PM ToddAndMargo via gnucash-user <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>   > On 30/03/2019 11:44, ToddAndMargo via gnucash-user wrote:
>>   >> Hi All,
>>   >>
>>   >>    Can I change my opening balance in my check book register?
>>   >>
>>   >> Many thanks,
>>   >> -T
>>   >>
>>   >
>>
>> On 3/29/19 5:52 PM, prl wrote:
>>> Opening balances in accounts are normally created with a tranasaction
>>> from an equity account into the asset account. See section 4.6.2 Opening
>>> Balances in the The Tutorial and Concepts Guide,
>>> http://gnucash.org/viewdoc.phtml?rev=3&lang=C&doc=guide
>>>
>>> Peter
>>>
>> I can't tell what they are saying in 4.6.2.
>>
>> My goal was to open a check register with a phony
>> opening balance, start entering checks into it, then
>> when I get my bank statement, correct the opening balance.
>>
>> Can I do this?

Re: [GNC] Opening Balance

GnuCash - User mailing list
On 3/29/19 8:44 PM, prl wrote:
> That check will also be done automatically when Todd reconciles the
> account when he gets his next statement :)
>
> Peter

Right now I am in the beating my head phase, but I am getting there.

I have installed enough Quick Books in my time.  Always thought
it was miserable under the hood.  This is my first accounting
package that I have not personally written.  So there are some
growing pains.

[GNC] Hidden account

Matthew Andrews
I had an "Opening Balance" sub-account under Equity.  I haven't touched
it, but I recently noticed the account has disappeared from my account
tree.  When looking at the accounts homepage, the money is still on the
Equity account line.  But when I click the triangle to view
sub-accounts, it's not there.  Also, when I open the Equity account, my
"Opening Balance" transactions are not there either.

However, if I am editing another account, I can see my "opening balance"
account is still a sub-account of Equity.  I can still make it a parent
account of something else.

How did my Opening Balance account disappear, and how to I retrieve it?

Thank you!!

~Matt

On 3/30/19 1:00 AM, ToddAndMargo via gnucash-user wrote:

> On 3/29/19 8:44 PM, prl wrote:
>> That check will also be done automatically when Todd reconciles the
>> account when he gets his next statement :)
>>
>> Peter
>
> Right now I am in the beating my head phase, but I am getting there.
>
> I have installed enough Quick Books in my time.  Always thought
> it was miserable under the hood.  This is my first accounting
> package that I have not personally written.  So there are some
> growing pains.

Re: [GNC] Hidden account

Colin Law
From the Accounts tab select View > Filter By > Other and make sure