[GNC] Online quotes problem

Emisbod
Hey guys n gals,

I'm afraid I'm getting a bit out of my depth here. Keep having problems
getting online updates of stocks. Been through the archives but none of
it seems relevant to me on this topic.

Tried re-installing the perl installer [on Win 10]and it seemed to be
fine. Only problem is I still get 'unknown error' message when I try to
'get quotes'.

As per the guide, I tried c:\Program Files (x86)\gnucash\bin>gnc-fq-dump
-v yahoo USDEUR=X. .....got:

'gnc-fq-dump' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Then I tried

c:\Program Files (x86)\gnucash\bin>echo (yahoo "CSCO") | perl gnc-fq-helper

and I got:

Use of uninitialized value $year in numeric lt (<) at
C:/strawberry/perl/site/lib/Finance/Quote.pm line 750, <> line 1.
Use of uninitialized value $month in pattern match (m//) at
C:/strawberry/perl/site/lib/Finance/Quote.pm line 768, <> line 1.
Use of uninitialized value $month in sprintf at
C:/strawberry/perl/site/lib/Finance/Quote.pm line 773, <> line 1.
Use of uninitialized value $day in sprintf at
C:/strawberry/perl/site/lib/Finance/Quote.pm line 773, <> line 1.
Use of uninitialized value $month in sprintf at
C:/strawberry/perl/site/lib/Finance/Quote.pm line 774, <> line 1.
Use of uninitialized value $day in sprintf at
C:/strawberry/perl/site/lib/Finance/Quote.pm line 774, <> line 1.
Use of uninitialized value $info{"<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC \"-//W3C//"...}
in substitution (s///) at
C:/strawberry/perl/site/lib/Finance/Quote/Yahoo/Base.pm line 233, <> line 1.
Use of uninitialized value within %info in pattern match (m//) at
C:/strawberry/perl/site/lib/Finance/Quote/Yahoo/Base.pm line 238, <> line 1.
(#f)
I have no idea what is going on, and would value any tips of where to
go/what to do.

TIA

--

Cheerio,

Graham

---

Re: [GNC] Online quotes problem

Frank H. Ellenberger-3
Hi Graham,

Am 08.06.2018 um 18:40 schrieb Graham Balin:

> Hey guys n gals,
>
> I'm afraid I'm getting a bit out of my depth here. Keep having problems
> getting online updates of stocks. Been through the archives but none of
> it seems relevant to me on this topic.
>
> Tried re-installing the perl installer [on Win 10]and it seemed to be
> fine. Only problem is I still get 'unknown error' message when I try to
> 'get quotes'.
>
> As per the guide, I tried c:\Program Files (x86)\gnucash\bin>gnc-fq-dump
> -v yahoo USDEUR=X. .....got:

Last November Yahoo has shut down its CSV interface. That was broadly
discussed here. You can find the summary in
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_Why_doesn.27t_online_quoting_work.3F

> 'gnc-fq-dump' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.
>
> Then I tried
>
> c:\Program Files (x86)\gnucash\bin>echo (yahoo "CSCO") | perl gnc-fq-helper
>
> and I got:
>
> Use of uninitialized value $year in numeric lt (<) at
> C:/strawberry/perl/site/lib/Finance/Quote.pm line 750, <> line 1.
> Use of uninitialized value $month in pattern match (m//) at
> C:/strawberry/perl/site/lib/Finance/Quote.pm line 768, <> line 1.
> Use of uninitialized value $month in sprintf at
> C:/strawberry/perl/site/lib/Finance/Quote.pm line 773, <> line 1.
> Use of uninitialized value $day in sprintf at
> C:/strawberry/perl/site/lib/Finance/Quote.pm line 773, <> line 1.
> Use of uninitialized value $month in sprintf at
> C:/strawberry/perl/site/lib/Finance/Quote.pm line 774, <> line 1.
> Use of uninitialized value $day in sprintf at
> C:/strawberry/perl/site/lib/Finance/Quote.pm line 774, <> line 1.
> Use of uninitialized value $info{"<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC \"-//W3C//"...}
> in substitution (s///) at
> C:/strawberry/perl/site/lib/Finance/Quote/Yahoo/Base.pm line 233, <>
> line 1.
> Use of uninitialized value within %info in pattern match (m//) at
> C:/strawberry/perl/site/lib/Finance/Quote/Yahoo/Base.pm line 238, <>
> line 1.
> (#f)
> I have no idea what is going on, and would value any tips of where to
> go/what to do.
>
> TIA
>
> --
>
> Cheerio,
>
> Graham

Regards
Frank

Re: [GNC] Online quotes problem

Emisbod
Many thanks for the reply, but sadly none of this works.
I tried adding an ".AX" stock as described below but that didn't work
either.
I'm afraid I don't understand the references to API for AlphaVantage -
is that something I need to find out about?

On 09/06/2018 07:38, WasserLand wrote:

> [...]
>> Use of uninitialized value $day in sprintf at
>> C:/strawberry/perl/site/lib/Finance/Quote.pm line 773, <> line 1.
>> Use of uninitialized value $month in sprintf at
>> C:/strawberry/perl/site/lib/Finance/Quote.pm line 774, <> line 1.
>> Use of uninitialized value $day in sprintf at
>> C:/strawberry/perl/site/lib/Finance/Quote.pm line 774, <> line 1.
>> Use of uninitialized value $info{"<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC
>> \"-//W3C//"...} in substitution (s///) at
>> C:/strawberry/perl/site/lib/Finance/Quote/Yahoo/Base.pm line 233, <>
>> line 1.
>> Use of uninitialized value within %info in pattern match (m//) at
>> C:/strawberry/perl/site/lib/Finance/Quote/Yahoo/Base.pm line 238, <>
>> line 1.
>> (#f)
>> I have no idea what is going on, and would value any tips of where to

Maf. King
On Saturday, 9 June 2018 10:22:19 BST Graham Balin wrote:
> Many thanks for the reply, but sadly none of this works.
> I tried adding an ".AX" stock as described below but that didn't work
> either.
> I'm afraid I don't understand the references to API for AlphaVantage -
> is that something I need to find out about?

Hi Graham

OK, back in November Yahoo stopped providing price information.  There was a
lot of traffic on the list around then and some rapid patches provided by
various developers to keep the wheels turning.

There are a couple of alternatives you can use - there is a service called
Alphavantage which is nearly the same as the old Yahoo service.  But you need
to register with Alphavantage and get an " API key" (a sequence of
Alphanumeric characters to authorise you on their service) which the Finance
Quote PERL scripts need to be told, but then can handle getting price info
from Alphavantage.  The Gnucash FAQ contains details and instructions about
that.

Another option - it has been reported on the list that Yahoo still have a way
to get info - but you need to tell F::Q use "yahoo_json" in place of Yahoo.  I
haven't tried it.  The list archives will have more info if you can search and
find it!

HTH,
Maf.

Re: [GNC] Online quotes problem -sorted

Emisbod
Many thanks for the replies all
Going through the API route and altering the environment file has done
the trick.

On 09/06/2018 11:48, Maf. King wrote:

> On Saturday, 9 June 2018 10:22:19 BST Graham Balin wrote:
>> Many thanks for the reply, but sadly none of this works.
>> I tried adding an ".AX" stock as described below but that didn't work
>> either.
>> I'm afraid I don't understand the references to API for AlphaVantage -
>> is that something I need to find out about?
>>
> Hi Graham
>
> OK, back in November Yahoo stopped providing price information.  There was a
> lot of traffic on the list around then and some rapid patches provided by
> various developers to keep the wheels turning.
>
> There are a couple of alternatives you can use - there is a service called
> Alphavantage which is nearly the same as the old Yahoo service.  But you need
> to register with Alphavantage and get an " API key" (a sequence of
> Alphanumeric characters to authorise you on their service) which the Finance
> Quote PERL scripts need to be told, but then can handle getting price info
> from Alphavantage.  The Gnucash FAQ contains details and instructions about
> that.
>
> Another option - it has been reported on the list that Yahoo still have a way
> to get info - but you need to tell F::Q use "yahoo_json" in place of Yahoo.  I
> haven't tried it.  The list archives will have more info if you can search and
> find it!
>
> HTH,
> Maf.

Cheerio,