[GNC] One-off scheduled payments

Peter West
Is it possible to create a scheduled payment from scratch? If I have a one-off payment to make at some date in the future, can I create a new template in the scheduled transactions editor?

--
Peter West
[hidden email]

Re: [GNC] One-off scheduled payments

Adrien Monteleone-2
Not sure what you mean by ‘from scratch’. I know of no automated way to create them.

Yes, you can create a single non-recurring scheduled transaction.

You can also enter a future transaction. A line should appear in the register after the current date, indicating that lower transactions on the screen are in the future. When you run reports that end as of ’today’ (rather than ‘end of year’ or ‘end of accounting period) those future transactions will not be included.

Personally I like to schedule them, but some prefer to enter them now with a future date.

> On Oct 22, 2019 w43d295, at 11:43 PM, Peter West <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Is it possible to create a scheduled payment from scratch? If I have a one-off payment to make at some date in the future, can I create a new template in the scheduled transactions editor?

Re: [GNC] One-off scheduled payments

Adrien Monteleone-2
On a hunch, I right-clicked one of my transactions, and sure enough, there was a ’schedule’ entry there. I don’t think I ever noticed it before.

> On Oct 22, 2019 w43d295, at 11:46 PM, Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Not sure what you mean by ‘from scratch’. I know of no automated way to create them.
>
> Yes, you can create a single non-recurring scheduled transaction.
>
> You can also enter a future transaction. A line should appear in the register after the current date, indicating that lower transactions on the screen are in the future. When you run reports that end as of ’today’ (rather than ‘end of year’ or ‘end of accounting period) those future transactions will not be included.
>
> Personally I like to schedule them, but some prefer to enter them now with a future date.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
>
>> On Oct 22, 2019 w43d295, at 11:43 PM, Peter West <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Is it possible to create a scheduled payment from scratch? If I have a one-off payment to make at some date in the future, can I create a new template in the scheduled transactions editor?

Re: [GNC] One-off scheduled payments

Actions > Scheduled Transactions > Scheduled Transaction Editor > New (icon on toolbar)

And be sure to always copy the list on all replies.

> On Oct 23, 2019 w43d296, at 1:22 AM, Peter West <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks Adrian.
>
>> Yes, you can create a single non-recurring scheduled transaction.
>
> This is the bit that I’m interested in. How can I do that without having an existing transaction as a template?
>
> Peter

Re: [GNC] One-off scheduled payments

Peter West
Thanks again Adrien.

The process confused me initially, which is why I asked. It’s because there is no default account, as in an account tab, you have to make two entries in the area below.  There are a few quirks like that with Gnucash; you just have to get used to them/

Peter
--
Peter West
[hidden email]
“Blessed are those servants whom the master finds awake when he comes.”

> On 23 Oct 2019, at 5:30 pm, Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Actions > Scheduled Transactions > Scheduled Transaction Editor > New (icon on toolbar)
>
> And be sure to always copy the list on all replies.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
>
>> On Oct 23, 2019 w43d296, at 1:22 AM, Peter West <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Adrian.
>>
>>> Yes, you can create a single non-recurring scheduled transaction.
>>
>> This is the bit that I’m interested in. How can I do that without having an existing transaction as a template?
>>
>> Peter

Re: [GNC] One-off scheduled payments

Adrien Monteleone-2
Ah, I forget the app defaults to ‘Basic view’.

I’ve been using Transaction Journal view for several years, so I see all splits at all times. Thus, the Scheduled Transaction Editor doesn’t look odd to me.

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll keep it in mind should the question arise again. (I’m sure it will)

In the meantime - have a gander at the Help Guide and the Tutorial & Concepts Guide found on the Website. (see ‘Documentation’ link on the left menu)

You’ll find all the nitty gritty details about how to navigate the UI there.

It is probably best to open one of them with GnuCash side-by-side while you are going through them as they are a tough read to follow sometimes even with the included screenshots.