[GNC] New user beginning balances receivables

[GNC] New user beginning balances receivables

Teresa
I have loaded all balances for a business that was doing their
accounting on excel

The balances go through Dec 2018

The issue I have is they had 3 receivable accounts

Receivable = Asset

Paid = Income

Aged = ??

I'm not sure where to put the aged amount, retained earnings?

Thank you

--

Teresa Slack

Senior Client Manager

*_Coba Enterprise Management, LLC_*

3620 Pelham Road, PMB 107

Greenville, SC 29615

Office: 864.343.8017 x 5

Cell:    864.525.3633

[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
Coba-EM.com <http://coba-em.com/>

/NOTICE TO RECIPIENTS: The information contained in and accompanying
this communication may be confidential, subject to legal privilege, or
otherwise protected from disclosure, and is intended solely for the use
of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient of
this communication, please delete and destroy all copies in your
possession, notify sender that you have received this communication in
error, and note that any review or dissemination of, or the taking of
any action in reliance on, this communication is expressly prohibited.
Email messages may contain computer viruses or other defects, may not be
accurately replicated on other systems, or may be intercepted, deleted
or interfered with without the knowledge of the sender or the intended
recipient. Coba Enterprise Management, LLC makes no warranties in
relation to these matters. Please note that Coba Enterprise Management,
LLC reserves the right to intercept, monitor, and retain email messages
to and from its systems as permitted by applicable law. If you are not
comfortable with the risks associated with e-mail messages, you may
decide not to use email to communicate with Coba Enterprise Management,
LLC. /

Re: [GNC] New user beginning balances receivables

David Cousens
Teresa

The best option is to use the business features and create dummy invoices to
match the original invoices. This should create the aging  entries.

You will need to add the business accounts Accounts receivable and Accounts
Payable using the Action->New Account Heirarchy and select Business
Accounts.

Then Use Business->Customers->New Invoice to create invoices and predate
them to the dates of the original invoices. You can add customers from the
new invoice dialog after hitting the Select button for the customer.

See
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/GnuCash_Quick_Start_Guide_For_Business_Users
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Business_Features_Issues
https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v3/C/gnucash-guide/pt03.html

for more detail.

Re: [GNC] New user beginning balances receivables

Teresa,

If you don’t need the exact aging info and just want to start from ’today’ you can create ‘invoices’ for each customer with their aged balance, with today’s due date.

If this is more like a ‘uncollectable’ or ‘allowance for doubtful accounts’ tracking you can simply make this a child account of A/R.

But the more complete option would be as David suggested and import the actual aged invoices with actual due dates and let GnuCash do the lifting. You may not need line-item detail unless you are transitioning away from the current invoicing process. You could just post a single line item to an income account. I’d go with whatever was easier to export from the current invoice system keeping in mind what level of detail you need to retain.

> On Mar 8, 2019, at 3:00 PM, Teresa <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have loaded all balances for a business that was doing their accounting on excel
>
> The balances go through Dec 2018
>
> The issue I have is they had 3 receivable accounts
>
> Receivable = Asset
>
> Paid = Income
>
> Aged = ??
>
> I'm not sure where to put the aged amount, retained earnings?
>
> Thank you
>
> --
>
> Teresa Slack

Re: [GNC] New user beginning balances receivables

Adrien Monteleone-2

> On Mar 9, 2019, at 3:45 AM, Teresa <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I didn't see a reply from David.. I'm not invoicing from here, the program she was using up until now has so many issues, we don't have a good upload. She has tracked everything in excel.I just need to plug in a number.

You can either plug in the same number used on the invoice sent to the client (my recommendation) or let GnuCash start counting from “1”. (or alternatively, make up a numbering scheme, but unless you really need it, that is not necessary)

> My biggest problem, I closed the program and a ll data is lost. I've never worked in  program where I had to save externally.. guess I'm starting over

In my 30+ years of using computers, I’ve never encountered software that kept the user data *in* the application, but always in a file I saved somewhere. (some apps like e-mail clients ‘appear’ that way, but the data is really in a file somewhere) Even the Excel spreadsheet your working from has to be saved each time you make a change...

I highly doubt the data is entirely lost, the problem is finding it if you didn’t intentionally save it somewhere you remember. GnuCash auto-saves a copy of the file as you work. (unless you’ve told it not to) Do a file search on all files ending in .gnucash.