[GNC] New Budget Data Date Range

Lorrie Laskey
Hi all,

My new budget "Budget Report" is pulling transactions that go back 4 years.
Is there a setting that is wrong? It should be for 2019 only.

Re: [GNC] New Budget Data Date Range

GnuCash - User mailing list

Without specifics, I'd guess that your budget is set up for a four year period. The report time range is (I recall) based off the budget date range.
David

  On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 9:12, Lorrie Laskey<[hidden email]> wrote:   Hi all,

My new budget "Budget Report" is pulling transactions that go back 4 years.
Is there a setting that is wrong? It should be for 2019 only.

Re: [GNC] New Budget Data Date Range

Lorrie Laskey
That is what I thought. How do I change the budget date range? I can't find
such settings in the options for the budget.

On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 5:26 AM David T. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Without specifics, I'd guess that your budget is set up for a four year
> period. The report time range is (I recall) based off the budget date
> range.
>
> David
>
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 9:12, Lorrie Laskey
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My new budget "Budget Report" is pulling transactions that go back 4 years.
> Is there a setting that is wrong? It should be for 2019 only.
> for more information.

Re: [GNC] New Budget Data Date Range

Adrien Monteleone-2
Not the options for the Budget report, the options for the Budget.

Open your budget. Click the Options icon in the toolbar.

You’ll see a setting for Budget Period “beginning on” and make sure it is not for 4 years ago. (not sure why it would be without intentionally setting it.)

> On Jan 23, 2019, at 8:40 AM, Lorrie Laskey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> That is what I thought. How do I change the budget date range? I can't find
> such settings in the options for the budget.
>
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 5:26 AM David T. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Without specifics, I'd guess that your budget is set up for a four year
>> period. The report time range is (I recall) based off the budget date
>> range.
>>
>> David

[GNC] lost data

Hi All,

A few months ago,  I moved the location of my GNUcash file (along with
the addressing of the associated linked files - you may remember a post
about this).  I have been living a fairly hectic life since,  moving
country, massively downsizing  etc, and a fairly annoying pc problem.  I
am sure that I did a lot of work on  GNU Cash  in Q4, but noticed the
other day that all of these transactions were missing and that my
GNUCash was pointing at an old GNUCash file.  I've looked everywhere on
my computer and USBs for the file that I think might contain the
transactions that I am sure I put in  ( It was a lot of work, so I don't
want to just retype them again), but I just cannot find the file.

I notice that GNUCash highlights the  last 4 files that have been opened
( under the file tab) .  Is there a way to see all the files that have
been opened historically and their location in the file directory.  I
just cannot find the correct file or any logs for the data that I
entered in Q4, and at least if I know the possible paths, I might be
able to ascertain if the data has somehow managed to be deleted from
that location, and then determine my way forward

Thanks!

john

Re: [GNC] lost data

Adrien Monteleone-2
You could use your file manager search function to look for *.gnucash files.

But within GnuCash, do this:

Try to open one of the files in your history list in the File menu. If it exists still in that same place, it will open, if not, it will tell you the URI of where  it was expected to find it. This might give some clue as to where to go looking. (I just did this and discovered I had moved a file into a ‘finances’ subdirectory of its former location)

If it opens successfully, but you need to know where it is stored, go to Find > Open and you’ll see above the file list is a button based ‘breadcrumb’ trail showing you the file path.

> On Jan 24, 2019, at 6:38 PM, John Sears via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> A few months ago,  I moved the location of my GNUcash file (along with the addressing of the associated linked files - you may remember a post about this).  I have been living a fairly hectic life since,  moving country, massively downsizing  etc, and a fairly annoying pc problem.  I am sure that I did a lot of work on  GNU Cash  in Q4, but noticed the other day that all of these transactions were missing and that my GNUCash was pointing at an old GNUCash file.  I've looked everywhere on my computer and USBs for the file that I think might contain the transactions that I am sure I put in  ( It was a lot of work, so I don't want to just retype them again), but I just cannot find the file.
>
> I notice that GNUCash highlights the  last 4 files that have been opened ( under the file tab) .  Is there a way to see all the files that have been opened historically and their location in the file directory.  I just cannot find the correct file or any logs for the data that I entered in Q4, and at least if I know the possible paths, I might be able to ascertain if the data has somehow managed to be deleted from that location, and then determine my way forward
>

> Thanks!
>
> john

Re: [GNC] lost data

GnuCash - User mailing list
Hi ,

Yep I've already tried this, and found various previous versions (
backups  - which I obviously did not do often enough) ..  but none on my
computer with any log files or the transactions for Q4.  I was rather
hoping that GNU cash would list the files with the URI somewhere (
beyond the 4 that it does show under the file tab).  Im assuming that
the four listed files are dydnamic and it only keeps the four URI's?

Thanks,

John

On 25/1/19 9:51 AM, Adrien Monteleone wrote:

> You could use your file manager search function to look for *.gnucash files.
>
> But within GnuCash, do this:
>
> Try to open one of the files in your history list in the File menu. If it exists still in that same place, it will open, if not, it will tell you the URI of where  it was expected to find it. This might give some clue as to where to go looking. (I just did this and discovered I had moved a file into a ‘finances’ subdirectory of its former location)
>
> If it opens successfully, but you need to know where it is stored, go to Find > Open and you’ll see above the file list is a button based ‘breadcrumb’ trail showing you the file path.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
>
>> On Jan 24, 2019, at 6:38 PM, John Sears via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> A few months ago,  I moved the location of my GNUcash file (along with the addressing of the associated linked files - you may remember a post about this).  I have been living a fairly hectic life since,  moving country, massively downsizing  etc, and a fairly annoying pc problem.  I am sure that I did a lot of work on  GNU Cash  in Q4, but noticed the other day that all of these transactions were missing and that my GNUCash was pointing at an old GNUCash file.  I've looked everywhere on my computer and USBs for the file that I think might contain the transactions that I am sure I put in  ( It was a lot of work, so I don't want to just retype them again), but I just cannot find the file.
>>
>> I notice that GNUCash highlights the  last 4 files that have been opened ( under the file tab) .  Is there a way to see all the files that have been opened historically and their location in the file directory.  I just cannot find the correct file or any logs for the data that I entered in Q4, and at least if I know the possible paths, I might be able to ascertain if the data has somehow managed to be deleted from that location, and then determine my way forward
>>

>> Thanks!
>>
>> john

Re: [GNC] lost data

Adrien Monteleone-2
As far as I know, only those four, so if you’ve been opening files searching for “the one” you might have tainted the list. Perhaps one of the more seasoned users or devs knows if there is a larger master URI list.

One final thing to consider is to check your balances. Are they otherwise correct? Run a transaction report and only show activity in Q4 (or a P&L/Income Statement) Do you get blank results or does something show up to indicate the data is there? If you get decent reporting, perhaps the register you are viewing is set to some filter.

Other than that, without a backup...

> On Jan 24, 2019, at 8:07 PM, John Sears via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi ,
>
> Yep I've already tried this, and found various previous versions ( backups  - which I obviously did not do often enough) ..  but none on my computer with any log files or the transactions for Q4.  I was rather hoping that GNU cash would list the files with the URI somewhere ( beyond the 4 that it does show under the file tab).  Im assuming that the four listed files are dydnamic and it only keeps the four URI's?
>

> Thanks,
>
> John
>

> On 25/1/19 9:51 AM, Adrien Monteleone wrote:
>> You could use your file manager search function to look for *.gnucash files.
>>
>> But within GnuCash, do this:
>>
>> Try to open one of the files in your history list in the File menu. If it exists still in that same place, it will open, if not, it will tell you the URI of where  it was expected to find it. This might give some clue as to where to go looking. (I just did this and discovered I had moved a file into a ‘finances’ subdirectory of its former location)
>>
>> If it opens successfully, but you need to know where it is stored, go to Find > Open and you’ll see above the file list is a button based ‘breadcrumb’ trail showing you the file path.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Adrien
>>
>>> On Jan 24, 2019, at 6:38 PM, John Sears via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> A few months ago,  I moved the location of my GNUcash file (along with the addressing of the associated linked files - you may remember a post about this).  I have been living a fairly hectic life since,  moving country, massively downsizing  etc, and a fairly annoying pc problem.  I am sure that I did a lot of work on  GNU Cash  in Q4, but noticed the other day that all of these transactions were missing and that my GNUCash was pointing at an old GNUCash file.  I've looked everywhere on my computer and USBs for the file that I think might contain the transactions that I am sure I put in  ( It was a lot of work, so I don't want to just retype them again), but I just cannot find the file.
>>>
>>> I notice that GNUCash highlights the  last 4 files that have been opened ( under the file tab) .  Is there a way to see all the files that have been opened historically and their location in the file directory.  I just cannot find the correct file or any logs for the data that I entered in Q4, and at least if I know the possible paths, I might be able to ascertain if the data has somehow managed to be deleted from that location, and then determine my way forward
>>>

>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> john

Re: [GNC] lost data

John,

If Adrien's suggestions don't work the following site has techniques for finding files on windows
https://edu.gcfglobal.org/en/windowsbasics/finding-files-on-your-computer/1/

and for Linux https://www.linode.com/docs/tools-reference/tools/find-files-in-linux-using-the-command-line/.

Looking for files with .gnucash extensions starting with your home directory and then expanding the search is your best
bet. ($find <path> -name "*.gnucash" will find all occurrences in the directory pointed to by path in Linux).

A common problem which occurs sometimes is having opened a backup file (which is located in the same directory as your
main file) and then subsequently opening the main file again. Your missing transactions could be in a backup file. See
https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v3/C/gnucash-guide/basics-backup1.html.

David Cousens

On Fri, 2019-01-25 at 08:38 +0800, John Sears via gnucash-user wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> A few months ago,  I moved the location of my GNUcash file (along with
> the addressing of the associated linked files - you may remember a post
> about this).  I have been living a fairly hectic life since,  moving
> country, massively downsizing  etc, and a fairly annoying pc problem.  I
> am sure that I did a lot of work on  GNU Cash  in Q4, but noticed the
> other day that all of these transactions were missing and that my
> GNUCash was pointing at an old GNUCash file.  I've looked everywhere on
> my computer and USBs for the file that I think might contain the
> transactions that I am sure I put in  ( It was a lot of work, so I don't
> want to just retype them again), but I just cannot find the file.
>
> I notice that GNUCash highlights the  last 4 files that have been opened
> ( under the file tab) .  Is there a way to see all the files that have
> been opened historically and their location in the file directory.  I
> just cannot find the correct file or any logs for the data that I
> entered in Q4, and at least if I know the possible paths, I might be
> able to ascertain if the data has somehow managed to be deleted from
> that location, and then determine my way forward
>

> Thanks!
>
> john

Re: [GNC] lost data

Fairly sure its gone somewhere, and I have written over it somehow,  as
I have all the associated files in pdf format, but no transactions in
the accounts :(..  old pc used to do a regular backup, but ...

Thanks anyway, and perhaps there is a list.. which hopfully someone can
point me to, before I start searching my harddrive with a partition
microscope.

Thanks,

John

On 25/1/19 10:13 AM, Adrien Monteleone wrote:

> As far as I know, only those four, so if you’ve been opening files searching for “the one” you might have tainted the list. Perhaps one of the more seasoned users or devs knows if there is a larger master URI list.
>
> One final thing to consider is to check your balances. Are they otherwise correct? Run a transaction report and only show activity in Q4 (or a P&L/Income Statement) Do you get blank results or does something show up to indicate the data is there? If you get decent reporting, perhaps the register you are viewing is set to some filter.
>
> Other than that, without a backup...
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
>
>> On Jan 24, 2019, at 8:07 PM, John Sears via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi ,
>>
>> Yep I've already tried this, and found various previous versions ( backups  - which I obviously did not do often enough) ..  but none on my computer with any log files or the transactions for Q4.  I was rather hoping that GNU cash would list the files with the URI somewhere ( beyond the 4 that it does show under the file tab).  Im assuming that the four listed files are dydnamic and it only keeps the four URI's?
>>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> John
>>

>> On 25/1/19 9:51 AM, Adrien Monteleone wrote:
>>> You could use your file manager search function to look for *.gnucash files.
>>>
>>> But within GnuCash, do this:
>>>
>>> Try to open one of the files in your history list in the File menu. If it exists still in that same place, it will open, if not, it will tell you the URI of where  it was expected to find it. This might give some clue as to where to go looking. (I just did this and discovered I had moved a file into a ‘finances’ subdirectory of its former location)
>>>
>>> If it opens successfully, but you need to know where it is stored, go to Find > Open and you’ll see above the file list is a button based ‘breadcrumb’ trail showing you the file path.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Adrien

Re: [GNC] lost data

Hi David,

Ill check some of these out, but I have done a fairly extensive search
on my laptop already.. so fear the worst

I think your description of what has happened is spot on...  the trouble
is that in the meantime I think I have done a lot off "cleaning up", and
I am sort of dreadign that I have assigned it to the rubbish bin, and
its already been overwritten on file  ( my hard disk is now in read only
status, but I fear I may have spotted it too late)

Thanks a lot!

john

On 25/1/19 10:21 AM, David Cousens wrote:

> John,
>
> If Adrien's suggestions don't work the following site has techniques for finding files on windows
> https://edu.gcfglobal.org/en/windowsbasics/finding-files-on-your-computer/1/
>
> and for Linux https://www.linode.com/docs/tools-reference/tools/find-files-in-linux-using-the-command-line/.
>
> Looking for files with .gnucash extensions starting with your home directory and then expanding the search is your best
> bet. ($find <path> -name "*.gnucash" will find all occurrences in the directory pointed to by path in Linux).
>
> A common problem which occurs sometimes is having opened a backup file (which is located in the same directory as your
> main file) and then subsequently opening the main file again. Your missing transactions could be in a backup file. See
> https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v3/C/gnucash-guide/basics-backup1.html.
>
> David Cousens
>
> On Fri, 2019-01-25 at 08:38 +0800, John Sears via gnucash-user wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> A few months ago,  I moved the location of my GNUcash file (along with
>> the addressing of the associated linked files - you may remember a post
>> about this).  I have been living a fairly hectic life since,  moving
>> country, massively downsizing  etc, and a fairly annoying pc problem.  I
>> am sure that I did a lot of work on  GNU Cash  in Q4, but noticed the
>> other day that all of these transactions were missing and that my
>> GNUCash was pointing at an old GNUCash file.  I've looked everywhere on
>> my computer and USBs for the file that I think might contain the
>> transactions that I am sure I put in  ( It was a lot of work, so I don't
>> want to just retype them again), but I just cannot find the file.
>>
>> I notice that GNUCash highlights the  last 4 files that have been opened
>> ( under the file tab) .  Is there a way to see all the files that have
>> been opened historically and their location in the file directory.  I
>> just cannot find the correct file or any logs for the data that I
>> entered in Q4, and at least if I know the possible paths, I might be
>> able to ascertain if the data has somehow managed to be deleted from
>> that location, and then determine my way forward
>>

>> Thanks!
>>
>> john

Re: [GNC] lost data

Adrien Monteleone-2
In a worst case, there are linux-based data recovery tools you can run from a live cd that can image the drive and rebuild files from that image.

Deleting a file and even emptying the trash does not necessarily destroy the data, but simply prevents the OS from accessing it and frees up the disk space to be written to. (it may not have been re-used yet)

However, the time involved in doing such a recovery may be greater than simply re-entering the data if you have it in some other form.

Best of luck.

> On Jan 24, 2019, at 8:39 PM, John Sears via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi David,
>
> Ill check some of these out, but I have done a fairly extensive search on my laptop already.. so fear the worst
>
> I think your description of what has happened is spot on...  the trouble is that in the meantime I think I have done a lot off "cleaning up", and I am sort of dreadign that I have assigned it to the rubbish bin, and its already been overwritten on file  ( my hard disk is now in read only status, but I fear I may have spotted it too late)
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> john

Re: [GNC] lost data

ChrisGood
Hi John,

I'm pretty sure there is no secret list of all the gnucash data files you've
opened.

You might like to check you just are not seeing some transactions because of
a filter you've applied:
        In the register, View Filter By

If you still cannot see some transactions, the list of recently opened files
is held (In Windows) int the registry.
This may help:
https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2018-May/077231.html
See my mail at the end.

Regards, Chris Good

Message: 10
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2019 10:22:12 +0800
From: John Sears <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [GNC] lost data

<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Hi ,
>>
>> Yep I've already tried this, and found various previous versions (
backups  - which I obviously did not do often enough) ..  but none on my
computer with any log files or the transactions for Q4.  I was rather hoping
that GNU cash would list the files with the URI somewhere ( beyond the 4
that it does show under the file tab).  Im assuming that the four listed
files are dydnamic and it only keeps the four URI's?

>> Thanks,
>>
>> John
>>

>> On 25/1/19 9:51 AM, Adrien Monteleone wrote:
>>> You could use your file manager search function to look for *.gnucash
files.

>>> But within GnuCash, do this:
>>>
>>> Try to open one of the files in your history list in the File menu.
>>> If it exists still in that same place, it will open, if not, it will
>>> tell you the URI of where  it was expected to find it. This might
>>> give some clue as to where to go looking. (I just did this and
>>> discovered I had moved a file into a ?finances? subdirectory of its
>>> former location)
>>>
>>> If it opens successfully, but you need to know where it is stored, go to
Find > Open and you?ll see above the file list is a button based
?breadcrumb? trail showing you the file path.

>>> Regards,
>>> Adrien

the addressing of the associated linked files - you may remember a post
about this).  I have been living a fairly hectic life since,  moving
country, massively downsizing  etc, and a fairly annoying pc problem.  I am
sure that I did a lot of work on  GNU Cash  in Q4, but noticed the other day
that all of these transactions were missing and that my GNUCash was pointing
at an old GNUCash file.  I've looked everywhere on my computer and USBs for
the file that I think might contain the transactions that I am sure I put in
( It was a lot of work, so I don't want to just retype them again), but I
just cannot find the file.

Re: [GNC] lost data

Michael or Penny Novack
On 1/24/2019 10:55 PM, Chris Good wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> I'm pretty sure there is no secret list of all the gnucash data files you've
> opened.
This is not a different problem than finding OTHER data on your computer
(data created by other apps, say a document created by a word
processor). Your operating system provides tools to find files by
various "hooks" (name searches, date created or modified, etc. )

So let's star with name. Do you have ANY ideas of what you might have
named your data files? How about the file extension? Would all of your
gnucash data files ended with the same .xyz? (say .gnucash). Even if
your DATA file might not (some of mine don't) gnucash would have been
creating backup and log files in the same directory (file folder) so you
could search for all files ending .log or .gnucash --- try the latter as
other applications might be creating files ending in .log but unlikely
anything but gnucash creating ones ending in .gnucash
REMEMBER --- if you weren't naming your data files to end .gnucash, the
ones you find in that directory ending .gnucash are not what you want,
just getting you to the right directory and showing you earlier parts of
the name you forgot.

Michael D Novack

PS -- once you know the NAME of your data file, you can start gnucash
and tell it (file=>open) to open THAT file instead of selecting from the
list of four.