[GNC] Need loan to upgrade my truck

GeorgeMunday
My wife and I are finally deciding to upgrade our truck and buy something
bigger newer and more powerful. But I don't have that much cash to drop on a
truck. I have never had a truck loan before. I have talked to my bank and
got the reply "we have not had good experiences financing trucks" and so
they turned me down. I have also talked to a few people who said that is
common.
My friend then told me to try  the truck financing company
<http://www.truckloancenter.com/service-areas/truck-loans-lease-atlanta/>
as they provide loans for trucks. I don't know whether they will be able to
finance me. I am not sure if we are going brand new or slightly used. How
much down payment should I need to pay?
If you guys could give me any information I’d appreciate it.  Any
information or suggestions would be great! Thanks!

Re: [GNC] Need loan to upgrade my truck

John Ralls-2

> On May 8, 2019, at 5:43 AM, GeorgeMunday <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> My wife and I are finally deciding to upgrade our truck and buy something
> bigger newer and more powerful. But I don't have that much cash to drop on a
> truck. I have never had a truck loan before. I have talked to my bank and
> got the reply "we have not had good experiences financing trucks" and so
> they turned me down. I have also talked to a few people who said that is
> common.
> My friend then told me to try  the truck financing company
> <http://www.truckloancenter.com/service-areas/truck-loans-lease-atlanta/>
> as they provide loans for trucks. I don't know whether they will be able to
> finance me. I am not sure if we are going brand new or slightly used. How
> much down payment should I need to pay?
> If you guys could give me any information I’d appreciate it.  Any
> information or suggestions would be great! Thanks!

Dear Mr. Munday,

Sorry, you've stumbled into the wrong list. We discuss a Free accounting program called GnuCash here. We emphatically do not offer financial advice.

Re: [GNC] Need loan to upgrade my truck

Derek Atkins-3
John Ralls <[hidden email]> writes:

>> On May 8, 2019, at 5:43 AM, GeorgeMunday <[hidden email]> wrote:
[snip]

> Dear Mr. Munday,
>
> Sorry, you've stumbled into the wrong list. We discuss a Free
> accounting program called GnuCash here. We emphatically do not offer
> financial advice.

I am sitting here wondering if the original message was just an
elaborate spam email?

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745

Re: [GNC] List Spam (was: Need loan to upgrade my truck)

Adrien Monteleone-2
Considering the ’name’ and the email address are both names but they are different, I’d say that is a fair guess. The slight rambling tone and the plug link was what first tipped me off.

I just got a personal spam e-mail yesterday from someone claiming they couldn’t access the list and wanted help fixing that. (presumably they had been using and posting to the list prior) I knew they weren’t legit when I did a site search for their e-mail address. Nothing came up. Had they ever posted a message, I’d have gotten a hit. (I searched parts of my own address just to verify) I must say, it was fairly cleverly designed, even with a screenshot of the Mailman login page. I already know that non-members posting to the list get sent to a moderator queue where the message can be deleted or sent through. (happened to me a few times when I accidentally replied or posted from the wrong e-mail account) So even sending the same message to the list itself, would be seen by the moderator who would be the one to offer list help. (or see that the name/e-mail address aren’t in the Mailman user base)

Not sure how the scam/phish is supposed to work since I just deleted it, but perhaps other members should be aware of it.

> On May 8, 2019, at 10:29 AM, Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> John Ralls <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>>> On May 8, 2019, at 5:43 AM, GeorgeMunday <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [snip]
>>
>> Dear Mr. Munday,
>>
>> Sorry, you've stumbled into the wrong list. We discuss a Free
>> accounting program called GnuCash here. We emphatically do not offer
>> financial advice.
>
> I am sitting here wondering if the original message was just an
> elaborate spam email?
>
>> Regards,
>> John Ralls

Re: [GNC] List Spam (was: Need loan to upgrade my truck)

Robert Heller
At Wed, 8 May 2019 11:58:30 -0500 Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Considering the ’name’ and the email address are both names but they are different, I’d say that is a fair guess. The slight rambling tone and the plug link was what first tipped me off.
>
> I just got a personal spam e-mail yesterday from someone claiming they couldn’t access the list and wanted help fixing that. (presumably they had been using and posting to the list prior) I knew they weren’t legit when I did a site search for their e-mail address. Nothing came up. Had they ever posted a message, I’d have gotten a hit. (I searched parts of my own address just to verify) I must say, it was fairly cleverly designed, even with a screenshot of the Mailman login page. I already know that non-members posting to the list get sent to a moderator queue where the message can be deleted or sent through. (happened to me a few times when I accidentally replied or posted from the wrong e-mail account) So even sending the same message to the list itself, would be seen by the moderator who would be the one to offer list help. (or see that the name/e-mail address aren’t in the Mailman user base)
>
> Not sure how the scam/phish is supposed to work since I just deleted it, but perhaps other members should be aware of it.

It is based on the assumption that the receiver (eg you) is dumb enough to
randomly click on the link(s) provided.

There is some assumption that many "webmasters" are actually people who are
people with a WordPress blog and are not technically savy and will fall for a
message like that.  Or else there is the assumption that random members of a
mailman list are not technically savy and will fall for a message like that.
Of course, sometimes the message goes to someone who is technically savy and
then the scam/phish fails...

The scammers and spammers are getting cleverer and cleverer and are trying to
get ahead of the spam detection software (both silicon and biological)...

> Regards,
> Adrien

> > [snip]
> >>
> >> Dear Mr. Munday,
> >>
> >> Sorry, you've stumbled into the wrong list. We discuss a Free
> >> accounting program called GnuCash here. We emphatically do not offer
> >> financial advice.
> >
> > I am sitting here wondering if the original message was just an
> > elaborate spam email?
> >
> >> Regards,
> >> John Ralls

> > -derek

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933

Robert Heller                      -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Download the Model Railroad System
http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Binaries for Linux and MS-Windows
heller@deepsoft.com        -- http://www.deepsoft.com/ModelRailroadSystem/

Re: [GNC] List Spam (was: Need loan to upgrade my truck)

Adrien Monteleone-2
There were no links though, just the message. I’m guessing a reply by me would generate another reply by the spammer/scammer that might escalate things.

> On May 8, 2019, at 2:19 PM, Robert Heller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> At Wed, 8 May 2019 11:58:30 -0500 Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Considering the ’name’ and the email address are both names but they are different, I’d say that is a fair guess. The slight rambling tone and the plug link was what first tipped me off.
>>
>> I just got a personal spam e-mail yesterday from someone claiming they couldn’t access the list and wanted help fixing that. (presumably they had been using and posting to the list prior) I knew they weren’t legit when I did a site search for their e-mail address. Nothing came up. Had they ever posted a message, I’d have gotten a hit. (I searched parts of my own address just to verify) I must say, it was fairly cleverly designed, even with a screenshot of the Mailman login page. I already know that non-members posting to the list get sent to a moderator queue where the message can be deleted or sent through. (happened to me a few times when I accidentally replied or posted from the wrong e-mail account) So even sending the same message to the list itself, would be seen by the moderator who would be the one to offer list help. (or see that the name/e-mail address aren’t in the Mailman user base)
>>
>> Not sure how the scam/phish is supposed to work since I just deleted it, but perhaps other members should be aware of it.
>
> It is based on the assumption that the receiver (eg you) is dumb enough to
> randomly click on the link(s) provided.
>
> There is some assumption that many "webmasters" are actually people who are
> people with a WordPress blog and are not technically savy and will fall for a
> message like that.  Or else there is the assumption that random members of a
> mailman list are not technically savy and will fall for a message like that.
> Of course, sometimes the message goes to someone who is technically savy and
> then the scam/phish fails...
>
> The scammers and spammers are getting cleverer and cleverer and are trying to
> get ahead of the spam detection software (both silicon and biological)...

Re: [GNC] List Spam (was: Need loan to upgrade my truck)

Maf. King
I saw a link.  truck loan center dot com

Maf.

On Wednesday, 8 May 2019 21:11:21 BST Adrien Monteleone wrote:
> There were no links though, just the message. I’m guessing a reply by me
> would generate another reply by the spammer/scammer that might escalate
> things.

Re: [GNC] List Spam (was: Need loan to upgrade my truck)

Adrien Monteleone-2
No, I meant in the spam message I received personally from an alleged list user. It didn’t contain a link.

At Wed, 8 May 2019 15:11:21 -0500 Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There were no links though, just the message. I'm guessing a reply by me
> would generate another reply by the spammer/scammer that might escalate
> things.

Yeah.  The first message might have been a "feeler" message.

> Regards,
> Adrien
>
> > On May 8, 2019, at 2:19 PM, Robert Heller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > At Wed, 8 May 2019 11:58:30 -0500 Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> >> Considering the ’name’ and the email address are both names but they are different, I’d say that is a fair guess. The slight rambling tone and the plug link was what first tipped me off.
> >>
> >> I just got a personal spam e-mail yesterday from someone claiming they couldn’t access the list and wanted help fixing that. (presumably they had been using and posting to the list prior) I knew they weren’t legit when I did a site search for their e-mail address. Nothing came up. Had they ever posted a message, I’d have gotten a hit. (I searched parts of my own address just to verify) I must say, it was fairly cleverly designed, even with a screenshot of the Mailman login page. I already know that non-members posting to the list get sent to a moderator queue where the message can be deleted or sent through. (happened to me a few times when I accidentally replied or posted from the wrong e-mail account) So even sending the same message to the list itself, would be seen by the moderator who would be the one to offer list help. (or see that the name/e-mail address aren’t in the Mailman user base)
> >>
> >> Not sure how the scam/phish is supposed to work since I just deleted it, but perhaps other members should be aware of it.
> >
> > It is based on the assumption that the receiver (eg you) is dumb enough to
> > randomly click on the link(s) provided.
> >
> > There is some assumption that many "webmasters" are actually people who are
> > people with a WordPress blog and are not technically savy and will fall for a
> > message like that.  Or else there is the assumption that random members of a
> > mailman list are not technically savy and will fall for a message like that.
> > Of course, sometimes the message goes to someone who is technically savy and
> > then the scam/phish fails...
> >
> > The scammers and spammers are getting cleverer and cleverer and are trying to
> > get ahead of the spam detection software (both silicon and biological)...

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933

Robert Heller                      -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Download the Model Railroad System
http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Binaries for Linux and MS-Windows
heller@deepsoft.com        -- http://www.deepsoft.com/ModelRailroadSystem/

Re: [GNC] List Spam (was: Need loan to upgrade my truck)

Maf. King
Aah, sorry, misunderstood.  too much spam   (2 in a day!) (I wish)

Maf.

On Wednesday, 8 May 2019 21:39:36 BST Adrien Monteleone wrote:

> No, I meant in the spam message I received personally from an alleged list
> user. It didn’t contain a link.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
>
> > On May 8, 2019, at 3:36 PM, Maf. King <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I saw a link.  truck loan center dot com
> >
> > Maf.
> >
> > On Wednesday, 8 May 2019 21:11:21 BST Adrien Monteleone wrote:
> >> There were no links though, just the message. I’m guessing a reply by me
> >> would generate another reply by the spammer/scammer that might escalate
> >> things.

> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information. -----

Maf. King
PGP Key fingerprint = 8D68 A91F 733B 2C1F 43B7  2B7C E591 E8E1 0DE7 C542