[GNC] More QFX import problems

Nike V.
Hi,

I have encountered a strange problem with QFX import from my credit
card, issued by Home Trust. It's similar, but not exactly the same, as
the ones discussed in the archive with Chase.

GnuCash apparently imports the QFX correctly, but transactions show up
in the credit card account with a balance of zero. Jumping to the
corresponding transaction in the source account shows the correct
balance, however.

But it's not possible as far as I can tell to get the card account to
show any balance at all. Manually editing the transaction does nothing.
You can enter $100, press return, and the account still shows zero.

Opening the qfx file in a text editor shows one long blob of text and
tags. I assume there must be something strange about the qfx file, but I
have no idea what it is, or how to fix it.

Any ideas would be welcome!

Nike

Re: [GNC] More QFX import problems

GnuCash - User mailing list
Hi again,

I'm not sure if this kind of issue is on the radar of the developers,
but here's some more information, in case somebody decides to chase the
issue down.

My bank offers to export the data to CSV, QFX, or QBO formats, based on
user set filters such as category, amount, date. For the QFX option, the
data that are written to the file seem to depend on the filters chosen.
GnuCash can't handle any version of the file that I have been able to
produce -- either I get the zero/uneditable balance issue that I
mentioned in the first email, or the import window is empty (as happened
in the Chase downloads previously discussed on this list). I assume the
problem comes from the precise tags that are written to the file, but I
don't really know.

At present, I am working around this bug by exporting to CSV, which is a
bit or a pain.

It would be nice to get GnuCash to deal gracefully with weird QFX
downloads, if possible. I'm happy to help with debugging, if somebody
wants to work on it.

Nike

Nike V. wrote on 2018-07-02 10:04 AM:

> Hi,
>
> I have encountered a strange problem with QFX import from my credit
> card, issued by Home Trust. It's similar, but not exactly the same, as
> the ones discussed in the archive with Chase.
>
> GnuCash apparently imports the QFX correctly, but transactions show up
> in the credit card account with a balance of zero. Jumping to the
> corresponding transaction in the source account shows the correct
> balance, however.
>
> But it's not possible as far as I can tell to get the card account to
> show any balance at all. Manually editing the transaction does nothing.
> You can enter $100, press return, and the account still shows zero.
>
> Opening the qfx file in a text editor shows one long blob of text and
> tags. I assume there must be something strange about the qfx file, but I
> have no idea what it is, or how to fix it.
>
> Any ideas would be welcome!
>
> Nike

Re: [GNC] More QFX import problems

David Carlson-4
Nike,

Have you gotten OFX or QFX imports from other financial institutions to
work?

I have never heard of any transactions, imported or otherwise, having only
one side, unless that side is equal to zero.

Did you try changing the register view to double-line in transaction
journal?

David C

On Tue, Jul 3, 2018 at 2:16 PM, Nike V. via gnucash-user <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> I'm not sure if this kind of issue is on the radar of the developers, but
> here's some more information, in case somebody decides to chase the issue
> down.
>
> My bank offers to export the data to CSV, QFX, or QBO formats, based on
> user set filters such as category, amount, date. For the QFX option, the
> data that are written to the file seem to depend on the filters chosen.
> GnuCash can't handle any version of the file that I have been able to
> produce -- either I get the zero/uneditable balance issue that I mentioned
> in the first email, or the import window is empty (as happened in the Chase
> downloads previously discussed on this list). I assume the problem comes
> from the precise tags that are written to the file, but I don't really know.
>
> At present, I am working around this bug by exporting to CSV, which is a
> bit or a pain.
>
> It would be nice to get GnuCash to deal gracefully with weird QFX
> downloads, if possible. I'm happy to help with debugging, if somebody wants
> to work on it.
>
> Nike
>

> Nike V. wrote on 2018-07-02 10:04 AM:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have encountered a strange problem with QFX import from my credit card,
>> issued by Home Trust. It's similar, but not exactly the same, as the ones
>> discussed in the archive with Chase.
>>
>> GnuCash apparently imports the QFX correctly, but transactions show up in
>> the credit card account with a balance of zero. Jumping to the
>> corresponding transaction in the source account shows the correct balance,
>> however.
>>
>> But it's not possible as far as I can tell to get the card account to
>> show any balance at all. Manually editing the transaction does nothing. You
>> can enter $100, press return, and the account still shows zero.
>>
>> Opening the qfx file in a text editor shows one long blob of text and
>> tags. I assume there must be something strange about the qfx file, but I
>> have no idea what it is, or how to fix it.
>>
>> Any ideas would be welcome!
>>
>> Nike

Re: [GNC] More QFX import problems

GnuCash - User mailing list
Hi David,

Thanks for the response.

OFX/QFX works perfectly fine on all other bank & credit card accounts.
It's just this one that is a problem.

I have attached a screen shot so you can see what the register looks like.

One other weird thing -- the currency for these problem imports seems to
be USD. I don't know why this is; my default (and all my accounts) are
CAD. (I am in Canada.) The reason I know this is that if there's an
imbalanced transaction, it appears in an account called Imbalance-USD,
whereas all other imbalanced transactions are in Imbalance-CAD.

Just to be clear, the first transaction in the shown grab from the
credit card account is a supposed to be a charge of $16.70. The second
is a charge of $2 for books; it shows up correctly in the Expenses:Books
account but shows up with a value of 0 (which cannot be edited) in the
credit card account.

It is very weird.

Nike

gnu-cash.jpeg (70K) Download Attachment

Re: [GNC] More QFX import problems

Nike,

Please use reply-all or include Gnucash User < [hidden email] >
in your reply per instructions at the bottom of every message.
Your problem is an artifact f there being more than one currency in your
data.  I am not a expert with that.  Others need to be invited to help.

David C

On Tue, Jul 3, 2018 at 4:52 PM, V. Vatsal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>         text and tags. I assume there must be something strange about
>>         the qfx file, but I have no idea what it is, or how to fix it.
>>
>>         Any ideas would be welcome!
>>
>>         Nike

>>         If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
>>         https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists
>>         <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists> for more
>> information.
>>         -----
>>         Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>>         You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

>>     If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
>>     https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists
>>     <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists> for more information.
>>     -----
>>     Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>>     You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

Thanks for the suggestion to look at the currency mismatch.

Indeed, there is a tag in the QFX file saying the currency is USD, which
is wrong. Manually fixing this tag and importing again gives the
expected correct result.

I called the bank to let them know. It appears they are aware of bugs in
their QFX backend and are working on it.

Case closed, I think :)

Nike