[GNC] Migrating to iMac from PC

12

[GNC] Migrating to iMac from PC

Richard Jones
I know gnucash runs on both Macs and PCs but I cannot find anything about
the migration procedure.
I have gnucash 3.3 on Windows 10. I am considering buying an Apple iMac.
Can my files from the PC be used on the iMac easily?
Thanks
Richard

Re: [GNC] Migrating to iMac from PC

Robert Heller
At Tue, 27 Nov 2018 13:47:16 +0000 Richard Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I know gnucash runs on both Macs and PCs but I cannot find anything about
> the migration procedure.
> I have gnucash 3.3 on Windows 10. I am considering buying an Apple iMac.
> Can my files from the PC be used on the iMac easily?

I would expect, yes.  The only tricky bit is making sure your "preferences"
get moved over to the proper place.  I understand that clicking on data files
does not work properly on the Mac -- the file clicked on does not open -- you
just have to use the File=>Open menu item and navigate from there.

> Thanks
> Richard

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933

Robert Heller                      -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Download the Model Railroad System
http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Binaries for Linux and MS-Windows
heller@deepsoft.com        -- http://www.deepsoft.com/ModelRailroadSystem/

Re: [GNC] Migrating to iMac from PC

foxylady337
> On 27 Nov 2018, at 14:36, Robert Heller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> At Tue, 27 Nov 2018 13:47:16 +0000 Richard Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> I know gnucash runs on both Macs and PCs but I cannot find anything about
>> the migration procedure.
>> I have gnucash 3.3 on Windows 10. I am considering buying an Apple iMac.
>> Can my files from the PC be used on the iMac easily?
>
> I would expect, yes.  The only tricky bit is making sure your "preferences"
> get moved over to the proper place.  I understand that clicking on data files
> does not work properly on the Mac -- the file clicked on does not open -- you
> just have to use the File=>Open menu item and navigate from there.
>
>> Thanks
>> Richard

A mild correction here: double-clicking on data files in the Finder on a Mac (the equivalent of Windows Explorer) DOES usually result in the file being opened by the appropriate program, but this doesn’t always work for programs ported from other environments.

The same applies to email attachments.

For example, if LibreOffice has been opened during a session, double-clicking one of its data files works OK, but if it’s the first time it’s been opened since the last reboot, LibreOffice crashes.

If you try this with a .gnucash file GnuCash starts up normally, but it doesn’t necessarily open the file you clicked on - it opens the most recently opened .gnucash file.

If Frescobaldi is already running, double-clicking a .ly file in Finder will open the file, but if Frescobaldi isn’t already running, it will be started up, but with no file opened.

MacVim will open a double-clicked file without complaint.

I’m not sure what to make of this from a programmer’s point of view, but it seems that the parameters passed by the operating system to the program that is being started aren’t being correctly interpreted by that program once it is running - to the extent of causing it to crash in the case of LibreOffice.

Michael

At Tue, 27 Nov 2018 16:23:27 +0000 Michael Hendry <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On 27 Nov 2018, at 14:36, Robert Heller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >=20
> > At Tue, 27 Nov 2018 13:47:16 +0000 Richard Jones =
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >=20
> >>=20
> >> I know gnucash runs on both Macs and PCs but I cannot find anything =
> about
> >> the migration procedure.
> >> I have gnucash 3.3 on Windows 10. I am considering buying an Apple =
> iMac.
> >> Can my files from the PC be used on the iMac easily?
> >=20
> > I would expect, yes.  The only tricky bit is making sure your =
> "preferences"=20
> > get moved over to the proper place.  I understand that clicking on =
> data files=20
> > does not work properly on the Mac -- the file clicked on does not open =
> -- you=20
> > just have to use the File=3D>Open menu item and navigate from there.
> >=20
> >> Thanks
> >> Richard
>
> A mild correction here: double-clicking on data files in the Finder on a =
> Mac (the equivalent of Windows Explorer) DOES usually result in the file =
> being opened by the appropriate program, but this doesn=E2=80=99t always =
> work for programs ported from other environments.

I was refering to the fact that *GnuCash* is one of the cases where it doesn't
work, probably because it is one of those "programs ported from other
environments".  I understand that *in general* Finder will open the proper
program and open the selected file when the file icon is double-clicked.

> The same applies to email attachments.
>
> For example, if LibreOffice has been opened during a session, =
> double-clicking one of its data files works OK, but if it=E2=80=99s the =
> first time it=E2=80=99s been opened since the last reboot, LibreOffice =
> crashes.
>
> If you try this with a .gnucash file GnuCash starts up normally, but it =
> doesn=E2=80=99t necessarily open the file you clicked on - it opens the =
> most recently opened .gnucash file.
>
> If Frescobaldi is already running, double-clicking a .ly file in Finder =
> will open the file, but if Frescobaldi isn=E2=80=99t already running, it =
> will be started up, but with no file opened.
>
> MacVim will open a double-clicked file without complaint.
>

> I=E2=80=99m not sure what to make of this from a programmer=E2=80=99s =
> point of view, but it seems that the parameters passed by the operating =
> system to the program that is being started aren=E2=80=99t being =
> correctly interpreted by that program once it is running - to the extent =
> of causing it to crash in the case of LibreOffice.

I think Finder does not pass filename parameters "on the command line", but
instead uses some inter-process communication API and not all programs are
coded to handle that properly, mostly because most non-Mac programers are
expecting things to just "show up" in argc/argv.  I believe MS-Windows (of all
things) does pass things to argc/argv, at least for programs coded Posix-style
(int main(int argv,char *argv[]) {...}).  Linux's GUI file managers all do the
Posix thing.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933

Robert Heller                      -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Download the Model Railroad System
http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Binaries for Linux and MS-Windows
heller@deepsoft.com        -- http://www.deepsoft.com/ModelRailroadSystem/

Re: [GNC] Migrating to iMac from PC

Richard,

As Robert noted, your data file should open just fine. (caveat on double-clicking assumed)

For the preferences issue he brought up, take a look at the wiki where preference and config file locations are stored on each operating system.

Be sure to find them on your Win10 system and copy them to the relevant locations on your Mac.

Then launch GnuCash, use File > Open and find your data file.

> On Nov 27, 2018, at 7:47 AM, Richard Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I know gnucash runs on both Macs and PCs but I cannot find anything about
> the migration procedure.
> I have gnucash 3.3 on Windows 10. I am considering buying an Apple iMac.
> Can my files from the PC be used on the iMac easily?
> Thanks
> Richard

Re: [GNC] Migrating to iMac from PC

John Ralls
Unfortunately on Windows preferences live in the registry. On Macs they live in a Plist in ~/Library/Preferences. There are probably programs out there that will extract from the registry and write the Plist, but I don’t know about them.

Other user metadata like book state files (what windows and tabs are open, window positions, etc.) and saved report configurations are stored in the user’s configuration directory, see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Configuration_Locations <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Configuration_Locations> for where that is on each OS.

> On Nov 28, 2018, at 5:17 AM, Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Richard,
>
> As Robert noted, your data file should open just fine. (caveat on double-clicking assumed)
>
> For the preferences issue he brought up, take a look at the wiki where preference and config file locations are stored on each operating system.
>
> Be sure to find them on your Win10 system and copy them to the relevant locations on your Mac.
>
> Then launch GnuCash, use File > Open and find your data file.
>

> Regards,
> Adrien
>
>> On Nov 27, 2018, at 7:47 AM, Richard Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I know gnucash runs on both Macs and PCs but I cannot find anything about
>> the migration procedure.
>> I have gnucash 3.3 on Windows 10. I am considering buying an Apple iMac.
>> Can my files from the PC be used on the iMac easily?
>> Thanks
>> Richard

Re: [GNC] Migrating to iMac from PC

Richard Jones
Thank you Robert, Michael, Adrien and John for taking the time and trouble
to answer and explain.
This migration would require very careful planning, testing and a backup
plan if things go wrong. I will have to think hard as to whether it is
worth risking.
Thanks again
Richard

On Tue, 27 Nov 2018 at 23:39, John Ralls <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Unfortunately on Windows preferences live in the registry. On Macs they
> live in a Plist in ~/Library/Preferences. There are probably programs out
> there that will extract from the registry and write the Plist, but I don’t
> know about them.
>
> Other user metadata like book state files (what windows and tabs are open,
> window positions, etc.) and saved report configurations are stored in the
> user’s configuration directory, see
> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Configuration_Locations <
> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Configuration_Locations> for where that is
> on each OS.

> > On Nov 28, 2018, at 5:17 AM, Adrien Monteleone <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Richard,
> >
> > As Robert noted, your data file should open just fine. (caveat on
> double-clicking assumed)
> >
> > For the preferences issue he brought up, take a look at the wiki where
> preference and config file locations are stored on each operating system.
> >
> > Be sure to find them on your Win10 system and copy them to the relevant
> locations on your Mac.
> >
> > Then launch GnuCash, use File > Open and find your data file.
> >

> > Regards,
> > Adrien
> >
> >> On Nov 27, 2018, at 7:47 AM, Richard Jones <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> I know gnucash runs on both Macs and PCs but I cannot find anything
> about
> >> the migration procedure.
> >> I have gnucash 3.3 on Windows 10. I am considering buying an Apple iMac.
> >> Can my files from the PC be used on the iMac easily?
> >> Thanks
> >> Richard
> >> If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
> >> -----

Re: [GNC] Migrating to iMac from PC

Fred Bone
On Tuesday, November 27, 2018 at 13:45, Robert Heller said:

[...]
> I think Finder does not pass filename parameters "on the command line",
> but instead uses some inter-process communication API and not all programs
> are coded to handle that properly, mostly because most non-Mac programers
> are expecting things to just "show up" in argc/argv.  I believe MS-Windows
> (of all things) does pass things to argc/argv, at least for programs coded
> Posix-style (int main(int argv,char *argv[]) {...}).  Linux's GUI file
> managers all do the Posix thing.

I have no experience with Macs, but is it really impossible to write a
shim program that would accept the filename in Mac style and then invoke
Gnucash in the (expected) command-line-argument style?

Re: [GNC] Migrating to iMac from PC

Colin Law
On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 at 10:49, Richard Jones
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you Robert, Michael, Adrien and John for taking the time and trouble
> to answer and explain.
> This migration would require very careful planning, testing and a backup
> plan if things go wrong. I will have to think hard as to whether it is
> worth risking.

Where is the risk, provided you keep the original machine operational
till you are confident it is all working on the new one?

Colin

> Thanks again
> Richard
>
> On Tue, 27 Nov 2018 at 23:39, John Ralls <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Unfortunately on Windows preferences live in the registry. On Macs they
> > live in a Plist in ~/Library/Preferences. There are probably programs out
> > there that will extract from the registry and write the Plist, but I don’t
> > know about them.
> >
> > Other user metadata like book state files (what windows and tabs are open,
> > window positions, etc.) and saved report configurations are stored in the
> > user’s configuration directory, see
> > https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Configuration_Locations <
> > https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Configuration_Locations> for where that is
> > on each OS.
> >
> > Regards,
> > John Ralls
> >

> > > On Nov 28, 2018, at 5:17 AM, Adrien Monteleone <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Richard,
> > >
> > > As Robert noted, your data file should open just fine. (caveat on
> > double-clicking assumed)
> > >
> > > For the preferences issue he brought up, take a look at the wiki where
> > preference and config file locations are stored on each operating system.
> > >
> > > Be sure to find them on your Win10 system and copy them to the relevant
> > locations on your Mac.
> > >
> > > Then launch GnuCash, use File > Open and find your data file.
> > >

> > > Regards,
> > > Adrien

> > about
> > https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.

> > > If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
> > https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
> > > -----

> > https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.

Re: [GNC] Migrating to iMac from PC

GnuCash - User mailing list

> On Nov 28, 2018, at 4:55 PM, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 at 10:49, Richard Jones
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thank you Robert, Michael, Adrien and John for taking the time and trouble
>> to answer and explain.
>> This migration would require very careful planning, testing and a backup
>> plan if things go wrong. I will have to think hard as to whether it is
>> worth risking.
>
> Where is the risk, provided you keep the original machine operational
> till you are confident it is all working on the new one?

More to the point: copying settings files and reports, while useful for preserving specific expected behaviors (e.g., are my Liability Accounts displayed with reversed numbers?), does not in ANY way affect the overall functionality of GnuCash as an accounting program. You can easily move your GnuCash accounting data to another machine merely by copying the .gnucash file to that new machine and opening it in GnuCash there. You can then change the preferences to match your expectations later. In other words, there is no threat to your data, beyond the usual caveats regarding file integrity that apply any time you move files from one machine to another.

Re: [GNC] Migrating to iMac from PC

Colin Law
On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 at 12:40, Richard Jones
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Colin
> Thanks for your reply.
> Yes, I would do as you say - keep the existing system running, until the new one was proved.
> The risk I see is spending money on a new machine and then not being able to use this application on it.
> But then I could get over that somehow - by manual re-entry of the accounts and transactions if it came to it. Hope not!

There should be absolutely no difficulty getting the accounts data
across, that is just a matter of copying the accounts file.  If you
have saved reports and so on then it becomes a little trickier, and
getting your settings across is probably not worth the effort.

I hope you are going to be running Linux on the new machine.

Colin

Re: [GNC] Migrating to iMac from PC

Nith Valley Organics

Sent from my iPhone

> On Nov 28, 2018, at 9:47 AM, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> I hope you are going to be running Linux on the new machine.
>
> Colin

Why?  The iMac runs a Unix variant native. It’s called macOS

On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 at 14:57, R. Victor Klassen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Nov 28, 2018, at 9:47 AM, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > I hope you are going to be running Linux on the new machine.
> >
> > Colin
>
> Why?  The iMac runs a Unix variant native. It’s called macOS

Precisely, I understood Richard to be moving to a non-Mac PC, so he
might be intending to use Windows.  Perhaps I misunderstood.

Colin

At Wed, 28 Nov 2018 15:05:56 +0000 Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 at 14:57, R. Victor Klassen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > Sent from my iPhone
> >
> > > On Nov 28, 2018, at 9:47 AM, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >

> > > I hope you are going to be running Linux on the new machine.
> > >
> > > Colin
> >
> > Why?  The iMac runs a Unix variant native. It’s called macOS
>
> Precisely, I understood Richard to be moving to a non-Mac PC, so he
> might be intending to use Windows.  Perhaps I misunderstood.
He is moving *from* a MS-Windows machine *to* an iMac.

On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 at 15:31, Robert Heller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> He is moving *from* a MS-Windows machine *to* an iMac.

Oh yes, sorry, senile decay advancing at an ever increasing rate it
appears.  Now it seems I can't even read a few words without getting
it wrong.

Colin

Re: [GNC] Migrating to iMac from PC

Richard,

It’s not as difficult as it might appear.

1. Copy over your data file.
2. Start GnuCash
3. File > Open and select your data file.
4. GnuCash > Preferences - and set them the same as on the Win10 machine. (no need to try to convert registry keys, just make the changes manually, should take about 3-5 minutes)
5. File > Properties - make these match as well.
6. IF you have custom reports, copy those to the proper location on the Mac. The wiki has this info as I noted.
7. IF you have a custom css file (or an .ini file) - again, copy these to the relevant location. (I don’t think Mac’s use .ini, but you can likely enter that content in the css file, or a plist file - check the wiki)
8. ...
9. Profit

Worst case after the above steps is that any dialog warning boxes you may have dismissed in the past, will once again start alerting you. Just dismiss them again if desired.

Of course, ALWAYS make a backup first.

To help with #4 and #5, if for some reason you won’t have the two side by side, either write them down, or print/save a screen shot of the various settings.

I think that’s about it unless John or someone else knows of something I forgot or am not aware of.

> On Nov 28, 2018, at 4:45 AM, Richard Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thank you Robert, Michael, Adrien and John for taking the time and trouble
> to answer and explain.
> This migration would require very careful planning, testing and a backup
> plan if things go wrong. I will have to think hard as to whether it is
> worth risking.
> Thanks again
> Richard
>
> On Tue, 27 Nov 2018 at 23:39, John Ralls <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately on Windows preferences live in the registry. On Macs they
>> live in a Plist in ~/Library/Preferences. There are probably programs out
>> there that will extract from the registry and write the Plist, but I don’t
>> know about them.
>>
>> Other user metadata like book state files (what windows and tabs are open,
>> window positions, etc.) and saved report configurations are stored in the
>> user’s configuration directory, see
>> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Configuration_Locations <
>> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Configuration_Locations> for where that is
>> on each OS.
>>
>> Regards,
>> John Ralls
>>

>>> On Nov 28, 2018, at 5:17 AM, Adrien Monteleone <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Richard,
>>>
>>> As Robert noted, your data file should open just fine. (caveat on
>> double-clicking assumed)
>>>
>>> For the preferences issue he brought up, take a look at the wiki where
>> preference and config file locations are stored on each operating system.
>>>
>>> Be sure to find them on your Win10 system and copy them to the relevant
>> locations on your Mac.
>>>
>>> Then launch GnuCash, use File > Open and find your data file.
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>> Adrien

>> about

>>> -----

Re: [GNC] Migrating to iMac from PC

Richard Jones
Adrien,
Thanks for that reassuring advice.
Before I retired, I worked for an IT company, Unisys, and worked on many
migrations between different mainframe systems. Always there were issues
caused by different operating systems and data formats etc. We would need
the full database schema of the old and new systems and work out where each
data item would go and deal with redundancies and exceptions.
This case appears much simpler. There is no database, such as db2, oracle
or DMS; just a data file, GNU Financial Data which, it appears, is exactly
the same on a PC and on a Mac and completely transportable between the
systems without modification.
When I do this, I will finalise this conversation by reporting on the
result.
Regards
Richard

At Wed, 28 Nov 2018 14:03:44 -0600 Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Richard,
>
> It's not as difficult as it might appear.
>
> 1. Copy over your data file.
> 2. Start GnuCash
> 3. File > Open and select your data file.
> 4. GnuCash > Preferences - and set them the same as on the Win10 machine. (no need to try to convert registry keys, just make the changes manually, should take about 3-5 minutes)
> 5. File > Properties - make these match as well.
> 6. IF you have custom reports, copy those to the proper location on the Mac. The wiki has this info as I noted.
> 7. IF you have a custom css file (or an .ini file) - again, copy these to the relevant location. (I don’t think Mac’s use .ini, but you can likely enter that content in the css file, or a plist file - check the wiki)
> 8. ...
> 9. Profit
>
> Worst case after the above steps is that any dialog warning boxes you may
> have dismissed in the past, will once again start alerting you. Just dismiss
> them again if desired.
>
> Of course, ALWAYS make a backup first.
Trivial option: you will probably be using the thumb drive to transfer the
files.  That thumb drive is itself a backup copy.

> To help with #4 and #5, if for some reason you won't have the two side by
> side, either write them down, or print/save a screen shot of the various
> settings.

Most of the time your preferences will be the default, or be something
obvious -- eg you will recognize the setting.

> I think that's about it unless John or someone else knows of something I
> forgot or am not aware of.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
>
> > On Nov 28, 2018, at 4:45 AM, Richard Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Thank you Robert, Michael, Adrien and John for taking the time and trouble
> > to answer and explain.
> > This migration would require very careful planning, testing and a backup
> > plan if things go wrong. I will have to think hard as to whether it is
> > worth risking.
> > Thanks again
> > Richard
> >
> > On Tue, 27 Nov 2018 at 23:39, John Ralls <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Unfortunately on Windows preferences live in the registry. On Macs they
> >> live in a Plist in ~/Library/Preferences. There are probably programs out
> >> there that will extract from the registry and write the Plist, but I don’t
> >> know about them.
> >>
> >> Other user metadata like book state files (what windows and tabs are open,
> >> window positions, etc.) and saved report configurations are stored in the
> >> user’s configuration directory, see
> >> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Configuration_Locations <
> >> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Configuration_Locations> for where that is
> >> on each OS.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> John Ralls

> >> double-clicking assumed)

> >> preference and config file locations are stored on each operating system.

> >> locations on your Mac.

> >> about
> >> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.

> >> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.

> >> If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
> >> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
> >> -----

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933

Robert Heller                      -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Download the Model Railroad System
http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Binaries for Linux and MS-Windows
heller@deepsoft.com        -- http://www.deepsoft.com/ModelRailroadSystem/

Re: [GNC] Migrating to iMac from PC

Richard,

Just to be clear, it is that easy as long as you didn’t intentionally setup a MySQL or PostgreSQL db for GnuCash on the Win10 machine. If you just installed the program and went with the default (or chose to save as SQLite) then it is just a matter of copying the data file.

> [...]
> >> know about them.
> >>
> >> Other user metadata like book state files (what windows and tabs are open,
> >> window positions, etc.) and saved report configurations are stored in the
> >> user’s configuration directory, see
> >> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Configuration_Locations <
> >> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Configuration_Locations> for where that is
> >> on each OS.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> John Ralls

> >> double-clicking assumed)

> >> preference and config file locations are stored on each operating system.

> >> locations on your Mac.

> >> about
> >> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.

> >> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.

> >> If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see

Further to the previous correspondence I have now made the migration but have a problem and would be grateful for any further technical advice.

Migration from gnucash 3.3 on Windows 10 to gnucash 3.3 on MacOS HIGH Sierra 10.13.6
GNUcash downloaded OK from source forge.
System image (dmg file) moved to applications. This process “compiled” the image into the application.
Gnucash started up ok with a new specimen system.
Copied gnucash file via usb stick from PC to iMac
Copied file ran ok but then crashed after a few minutes. Before this I had dealt with properties and Preferences menus - although they did not need changing.
The test system now also crashes.

Error file shows

Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes:       KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000028
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal:    Segmentation fault: 11
Termination Reason:    Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
Terminating Process:   exc handler [0]

VM Regions Near 0x28:
-->
    __TEXT                 0000000103b70000-0000000103b83000 [   76K] r-x/rwx SM=COW  /Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/Gnucash

Application Specific Information:
objc_msgSend() selector name: visibleFrame

There is a lot more in the error report but this seems to be the most important part.

Does anyone have an idea what could have gone wrong?

Regards
Richard

12