[GNC] Migrating from AceMoney

12

[GNC] Migrating from AceMoney

Jason Voss
My wife stayed on Windows much longer than I did but I have recently moved her to a MacBook Air.Now I'm trying to get her a basic checkbook register app to replace AceMoney Lite and I'm looking at Gnucash for this purpose.
We have several years of historical data in .amj files on a Network Attached Server (NAS) and I'd like to verify whether Gnucash can read these, or if they can be imported and then used by Gnucash.
Any insights or advice is much appreciated.
Thanks,Jason

Re: [GNC] Migrating from AceMoney

Bucky Carr

What forms of accounts file export can you do in AceMoney?

On 1/28/2019 1:54 PM, Jason Voss wrote:
> My wife stayed on Windows much longer than I did but I have recently moved her to a MacBook Air.Now I'm trying to get her a basic checkbook register app to replace AceMoney Lite and I'm looking at Gnucash for this purpose.
> We have several years of historical data in .amj files on a Network Attached Server (NAS) and I'd like to verify whether Gnucash can read these, or if they can be imported and then used by Gnucash.
> Any insights or advice is much appreciated.
> Thanks,Jason

Re: [GNC] Migrating from AceMoney

Stephen M. Butler
On 1/28/19 12:54 PM, Jason Voss wrote:
> My wife stayed on Windows much longer than I did but I have recently moved her to a MacBook Air.Now I'm trying to get her a basic checkbook register app to replace AceMoney Lite and I'm looking at Gnucash for this purpose.
> We have several years of historical data in .amj files on a Network Attached Server (NAS) and I'd like to verify whether Gnucash can read these, or if they can be imported and then used by Gnucash.
> Any insights or advice is much appreciated.
> Thanks,Jason

You probably need to export it to a .csv file first.  Do you still have
access to the Windows box?  My guess is that the .amj file is proprietary.

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
253-350-0166

On Mon, Jan 28, 2019 at 3:10 PM Bucky Carr <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What forms of accounts file export can you do in AceMoney?
>
> On 1/28/2019 1:54 PM, Jason Voss wrote:
> > My wife stayed on Windows much longer than I did but I have recently
> moved her to a MacBook Air.Now I'm trying to get her a basic checkbook
> register app to replace AceMoney Lite and I'm looking at Gnucash for this
> purpose.
> > We have several years of historical data in .amj files on a Network
> Attached Server (NAS) and I'd like to verify whether Gnucash can read
> these, or if they can be imported and then used by Gnucash.
> > Any insights or advice is much appreciated.
> > Thanks,Jason

I think that QIF imports may still be preferred if you can export to that
format, but definitely experiment freely first and develop a detailed plan
before committing.  If you can run a sample GnuCash file in parallel with
your old software for a while, that may help you decide whether to include
all your history when you convert.

David C

Re: [GNC] Migrating from AceMoney

Jason

AceMoney does not list any export formats in its documentation.  GnuCash
will not be able to read AceMoneys file format unless someone has written a
translator and this is unlikely.

GnuCash can import OFX/QFX, QIF, CSV files if Acemoney can export data in
any of these formats. OFX/QFX is generally the most reliable if the OFX/QFX
formats have been correctly implemented in the export. Another factor is
what information exists in any exported data. It is generally better to
export data for a specific period, e.g. a month or quarter and import the
data in batches in sequence. Also if you start with your major Asset and
Liability accounts, i.e.  with the largest number of transactions, first it
will make importing easier as this will import most or all of the data for
income, expense and equity account.

GnuCash's importers have a matching algorithm, which for imports to a given
account, looks for matches in data already in the GnuCash file to existing
transactions to minimise duplication and also matches and automatically
assigns the second account in a transaction if enough information is present
to allow this. It uses a Bayesian algorithm which is trained by the data you
have already imported to match transaction.  It is generally better to
import transactions, at least initially, in small batches, as this makes it
easier to detect mismatches in imported data and "train" the automatic
matching and assignment of the second account of a transaction. Any
automatic assignment by the matcher can be overridden before importing. It
pays to check the account assignment data (displayed in a window) before
importing as importing incorrect assignments will not train the algorithm
correctly which results in less successful matching in future imports.

Another suggestion is to perhaps start using current data and then gradually
add your historical data. GnuCash can set opening balances for accounts at a
specified date. This can be edited to the opening balance at an earlier date
as you import your historical data. The opening balances are just another
transaction.

Re: [GNC] Migrating from AceMoney

Bucky Carr

I found this on the AceMoney user forum, so perhaps there is hope:

"Yes!  Select FILE at upper left - Select EXPORT - set the path to the
folder & file name you wish to use - lastly, select
SAVE AS TYPE - you will see a drop down menu for TXT, CSV, QIF, &
XML.  Choose the format style you want & click on SAVE to finish.

---In [hidden email], <pfgreig@...> wrote :

Is it possible to convert AceMoney files to QIF format for exporting?"

On 1/28/2019 2:44 PM, David Cousens wrote:
> Jason
>
> AceMoney does not list any export formats in its documentation.  GnuCash
> will not be able to read AceMoneys file format unless someone has written a
> translator and this is unlikely.

Re: [GNC] Migrating from AceMoney

Found a link which indicates AceMoney can export in QIF format. QIF is not a
well standardized format but GnuCash can generally import it.

You may also like to consider the following python program for translating
Acemoney  files to GnuCash files. No idea how current it is and what
versions of AceMOney and Gnucash it translates between but it is likely to
be to an earlier GnuCash 2.4 or 2.6 file not the current 3 version series.
The release notes have details of any changes in the GnuCash file formats

https://github.com/lowvoltage/AceMoney-to-GnuCash/blob/master/acemoney2gnucash.py

Re: [GNC] Migrating from AceMoney

Bucky Carr

You'll want to approach this project with some time and no deadline,
else you might get frustrated.

Get GNUcash installed and running on the target machine.

In AceMoney, export the largest account you have into a .qif format
file and get that file to where GNUcash can find it. Then in GNUcash,
use File-Import-QIF... and see what it does. Accept the defaults when
asked. When it is done with the import, see what GNUcash thought about
all the stuff it imported.

I'm suggesting starting with the largest account because it will cause
you the most head scratching grief in the conversion process. Smaller
imports can be ferreting out more easily. Maybe you won't have any
grief at all with the import.

If the import is a complete mess you could retry exporting into a
different format, such as .csv, delete everything in GNUcash (may
require a reinstall of GNUcash to get a completely fresh slate) and
try to import that file.

At some point, if this isn't working satisfactorily, you may need to
draw a line in the sand, leave AceMoney behind and start with a new
install of GNUcash and enter transactions as of Jan 1, 2019, for
example.  I am a refugee from Quicken. Spent several weeks trying to
import the 50+mb Quicken data file into GNUcash, but I had done
something stupid in Quicken many years ago - I deleted one account
with thousands of transactions. Importing the .qif into GNUcash was a
practical impossibility because GNUcash didn't know what to do with
all those orphaned transactions.

So I simply quit using Quicken as of Jan 1, 2017, switched to GNUcash
and have been a happy camper since then.

(make your postings public to the user list so others can benefit from
the discussion)

On 1/28/2019 3:09 PM, Jason Voss wrote:
> Looks like export options include:
> *.csv
> *.html
> *.qif
> *.txt
>
> However, I'm not familiar with any of these (at least for these
> types of records) or which one would be best for migrating to GNUcash.

Re: [GNC] Migrating from AceMoney

Bucky Carr

You are most welcome. What I ended up doing is saving all the Quicken
individual account files in every export format I could figure out
(created dozens and dozens of files in .qif, .txt, .csv, .xlsx
formats), just in case like you, I decided I needed the data later for
some reason. So far, I've not needed them.

Those files are backed up six ways from Sunday along with all the
other stuff I think has "saving value".

Perhaps that technique would work for you, too.

On 1/28/2019 3:59 PM, Jason Voss wrote:

> I had been thinking I wanted all the historical transactions but
> you've started me thinking a bit differently.
>
> I suppose I could keep the old machine and AceMoney files to prepare
> 2018 taxes... and start transaction files in Gnucash as of Jan. 1
> 2019. (I can probably brute force my way through getting one month
> of data into the new system.)
>
> I need to give more thought to downside of losing the old records.
> We have mined them before for several different reasons. Not sure if
> casting them aside might be regretted later. (I really want to get
> rid of the windows machine... not keep it around any longer than
> necessary. I'm a convert to Apple and really don't like Microsoft.
> Although Apple has adopted many of their business practices and now
> also frustrates me, their hardware and drivers are sure more stable
> and give me fewer headaches.)
>
> Appreciate the assistance from you and David.

Re: [GNC] Migrating from AceMoney

Adrien Monteleone-2
If you have the install discs for that machine, consider converting to a VM if you want to ditch Windows as the main OS sooner rather than later. (you could dual boot, but since the end goal is ditch Windows entirely, and you likely need AceMoney you won’t want to reboot to switch back and forth) Also note, some recovery discs won’t install into a VM, you’d need original Windows discs.

For MacOS, you can use VirtualBox or VMWare at no charge, VMWare also has a paid version and there is also Parallels. With VMWare and Parallels you can easily run Windows apps seamlessly on the Mac. If you are bit adventurous, you might get lucky via Wine as well. (which has a paid version called ‘Crossover’)

VMWare used to have a separate tool to convert a physical Windows installation into a VM so if you don’t have the discs to fresh install into the VM, you could go that route. I know it worked for XP, not sure of the Vista/7 or later.

> On Jan 28, 2019, at 5:41 PM, Bucky Carr <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> You are most welcome. What I ended up doing is saving all the Quicken individual account files in every export format I could figure out (created dozens and dozens of files in .qif, .txt, .csv, .xlsx formats), just in case like you, I decided I needed the data later for some reason. So far, I've not needed them.
>
> Those files are backed up six ways from Sunday along with all the other stuff I think has "saving value".
>
> Perhaps that technique would work for you, too.
>

> On 1/28/2019 3:59 PM, Jason Voss wrote:
>> I had been thinking I wanted all the historical transactions but you've started me thinking a bit differently.
>>
>> I suppose I could keep the old machine and AceMoney files to prepare 2018 taxes... and start transaction files in Gnucash as of Jan. 1 2019. (I can probably brute force my way through getting one month of data into the new system.)
>>
>> I need to give more thought to downside of losing the old records. We have mined them before for several different reasons. Not sure if casting them aside might be regretted later. (I really want to get rid of the windows machine... not keep it around any longer than necessary. I'm a convert to Apple and really don't like Microsoft. Although Apple has adopted many of their business practices and now also frustrates me, their hardware and drivers are sure more stable and give me fewer headaches.)
>>
>> Appreciate the assistance from you and David.

Re: [GNC] Migrating from AceMoney

Jason,
No problem.

The reply All only works if the email message originates from the email list or "[hidden email]" is in the
From field in the email you are replying to. If there is any problem and the gnucash-user address above doesn't show up
in thr To, CC or BCC fields in your reply just include it in the CC and it will go to the list.

I have my main files in a protected Dropbox file in the cloud which makes my accounts file accessible on any computer I
connect to it. I use an RAID NAS for backups and have a synchronized desktop at home and a laptop on the move. I have a
similar sort of policy with my NAS. It is really only connected while doing backups. Mine can startup automatically when
scheduled for backups and is otherwise offline.  Have never in 10 years had any problems with GnuCash as a program. I
have our personal accounts and had business accounts back in the days when my wife and I had businesses. I am an
accountant although not practisin. GnuCash conforms with general accounting practice and is used in many jurisdictions
world wide.

At present its export format is CSV but I think there are plans to make the OFX export format available once the library
used by GnuCash is upgraded to provide export functionality.

David Cousens

On Tue, 2019-01-29 at 06:27 +0000, Jason Voss wrote:

> [...]
>
> You can use either the qif or csv (qif is probably preerreble) to export the data stored in accounts in Acemoney as a
> file
> <filename>.qif. <filename> is an appropriate name identifying the date, e.g a shortening of an account name with a
> date range
> for the data you have exported to the file.  "Check_20180101-20180131.qif could be used for data exported from your
> checkaccount
> for the period of January 2018. This may depend on the options AceMoney gives you for setting the period of exported
> data
>
> I have no familiarity with AceMoney at all, but it is likely to be an entry under the File menu labelled as Export.
> There may be another submenu to choose the export format or this may occur in a dialog started by that menu entry.
> That exported data can be saved on your hard disk, a USB stick or other similar storage using a filename as described
> above.
>
> GnuCash can then be used to import that exported data into GnuCash using the menu options
> File->Import->QIF  or
> File->Import->Transactions from CSV. (here the -> points to a submenu item accessed from the previous menu level).
>
> The link is to a Python program. Using it would require installation of an appropriate version of the Python program
> language
> and running the program with that language. Given your unfamiliarity with programming and the age of the program in
> that link
> this is unlikely to be a  productive route for you. That program is not all that well documented.
>
> David Cousens
>

> On Mon, 2019-01-28 at 22:20 +0000, Jason Voss wrote:
> > David,
> >
> > Thanks for insights.
> > I also found .csv and .qif export formats in AceMoney.
> > However... not sure how to use these.
> >
> > Worth noting, I don't write code.
> > I clicked the link in your email and found a lot of software/code that I don't know how to read/edit/understand.
> > Wondering if this will be a shortcoming for me trying to export/import my data?
> >
> > Jason Voss
> >
> > “You cannot build character and courage by taking away a man’s initiative and independence.” – Abraham Lincoln
> >

> > On Monday, January 28, 2019, 3:59:59 PM CST, David Cousens <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > Found a link which indicates AceMoney can export in QIF format. QIF is not a
> > well standardized format but GnuCash can generally import it.
> >
> > You may also like to consider the following python program for translating
> > Acemoney  files to GnuCash files. No idea how current it is and what
> > versions of AceMOney and Gnucash it translates between but it is likely to
> > be to an earlier GnuCash 2.4 or 2.6 file not the current 3 version series.
> > The release notes have details of any changes in the GnuCash file formats

Some additional things to consider

> On Jan 29, 2019, at 6:39 AM, David Cousens <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Jason,
> No problem.
>
> The reply All only works if the email message originates from the email list or "[hidden email]" is in the
> From field in the email you are replying to. If there is any problem and the gnucash-user address above doesn't show up
> in thr To, CC or BCC fields in your reply just include it in the CC and it will go to the list.

Check to see if you are receiving two copies of messages. (sorting by subject might help)

If you are receiving a copy addressed to you from an individual *and* another copy addressed to the mailing list rather than you directly, ([hidden email]) then you can fix this in your Mailman preferences here: https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user (you’ll need to login using the very bottom field to see the preferences.) Then check on the preference labeled 'Avoid duplicate copies of messages?’ and set it to: ‘Yes’ if you *do not* want duplicate copies. Also consider the setting for 'Receive your own posts to the list?’ if you save your own outgoing messages and don’t need to receive your own messages back from the list. And finally consider your setting for 'Receive acknowledgement mail when you send mail to the list?’ if you don’t want to get a notice from the list every time you send a message. (I think the default for this is ’no’ anyway)

> On Tue, 2019-01-29 at 06:27 +0000, Jason Voss wrote:
>>
>> We've been using AceMoney lite on windows 7 pro... and having trouble finding the same version for running on mac. If
>> I can find one, this may be my simplest way forward. We really don't need many features... just a basic register for a
>> single account, that allows for clearing checks and balancing with monthly statements. This kind of platform change
>> always has unexpected complications... but I anticipate doing this less often now that all my computers will be mac's.

Keep in mind that Gnucash is double-entry accounting. If you are not specifying expense accounts/categories in AceMoney (not sure how it works) and only a payee, you will have to alter your workflow considerably using Gnucash. But don’t let this scare you, it is quite easy and intuitive once you get the hang of it.

With double-entry, money does not appear or disappear. It moves from one account to another. For each transaction there will be two ‘splits’ to show the account the money came from, (presumably your checking account or cash in your wallet) and another on where it went to. (usually an expense account) This means you will at least have an account for checking, salary/wages, and *each* category of expense. (as well as others for credit cards, car, and house loans, if applicable)

If you don’t want to keep such a detailed track of your expenses (highly recommended though) you *could* fudge by either just putting everything to a general ‘expenses’ account, or enter nothing and Gnucash will dutifully balance the transaction for you with a split to an ‘Imbalance’ account.

But I think you’ll find using Gnucash the way it was intended, while more detailed (and some would say complicated) will serve you much better. Otherwise, I’d honestly say a spreadsheet template would be the easiest route with the least learning curve — essentially the same as a paper checkbook register and you can setup a column for reconciliation purposes. (not to discourage using Gnucash, its an excellent tool.)

Be sure to read through the Guide when you start using the app, and refer to the Help document for references on particular functions, fields, buttons, etc.

To aid with grasping the concept of ’splits’ and the details of your transaction entries, I highly recommend the following settings:

Preferences > Register Defaults > Default Style - select ’Transaction Journal’
Preferences > Register Defaults > Other Defaults - select ‘Double Line Mode’

You can always toggle these in the View menu with an account register open to see the differences between what information is displayed and then stick with the settings you prefer.

Also, I personally find seeing most numbers as ‘positive’ and use the following:

Preferences > Accounts > Reversed Balanced Accounts - select ‘Credit accounts’

Or else your liabilities and your income (as well as equity) will normally be shown as negative numbers which can be difficult to wrap your head around. (most people consider getting paid to be ‘positive’.

Re: [GNC] Migrating from AceMoney

Jason Voss
Not receiving duplicates.However, I am receiving lots of email.Trying to identify topic categories of interest to cut down on volumn.It is far from clear where or how to define these.
I don't want to unsubscribe but I need a large reduction in total volumn.

    On Tuesday, January 29, 2019, 9:17:50 AM CST, Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

To aid with grasping the concept of ’splits’ and the details of your transaction entries, I highly recommend the following settings:

Preferences > Register Defaults > Default Style - select ’Transaction Journal’
Preferences > Register Defaults > Other Defaults - select ‘Double Line Mode’

You can always toggle these in the View menu with an account register open to see the differences between what information is displayed and then stick with the settings you prefer.

Also, I personally find seeing most numbers as ‘positive’ and use the following:

Preferences > Accounts > Reversed Balanced Accounts - select ‘Credit accounts’

Or else your liabilities and your income (as well as equity) will normally be shown as negative numbers which can be difficult to wrap your head around. (most people consider getting paid to be ‘positive’.

Try setting up sub-folders and mail filters. That might help at least shunt the mail off out of your main inbox till you can look over it.

I also commented in the other thread you can select digest mode, which will give you one message per day, but is more difficult to follow threads and reply.

On Tue, Jan 29, 2019, 12:31 PM Jason Voss <[hidden email] wrote:

> [...]
>
> Preferences > Register Defaults > Default Style - select ’Transaction
> Journal’
> Preferences > Register Defaults > Other Defaults - select ‘Double Line
> Mode’
>
> You can always toggle these in the View menu with an account register open
> to see the differences between what information is displayed and then stick
> with the settings you prefer.
>
> Also, I personally find seeing most numbers as ‘positive’ and use the
> following:
>
> Preferences > Accounts > Reversed Balanced Accounts - select ‘Credit
> accounts’
>
> Or else your liabilities and your income (as well as equity) will normally
> be shown as negative numbers which can be difficult to wrap your head
> around. (most people consider getting paid to be ‘positive’.

Jason,

Some email clients support scripts to sort your mail.

Another choice is to get the summary, but then it is harder to pick out a
message to reply to.

David C

Re: [GNC] Migrating from AceMoney

Jason Voss
I am not getting duplicates... just lots of email I have no interest in.

    On Tuesday, January 29, 2019, 12:46:28 PM CST, David Carlson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

Preferences > Register Defaults > Other Defaults - select ‘Double Line Mode’

You can always toggle these in the View menu with an account register open to see the differences between what information is displayed and then stick with the settings you prefer.

Also, I personally find seeing most numbers as ‘positive’ and use the following:

Preferences > Accounts > Reversed Balanced Accounts - select ‘Credit accounts’

Or else your liabilities and your income (as well as equity) will normally be shown as negative numbers which can be difficult to wrap your head around. (most people consider getting paid to be ‘positive’.

Jason,
Some email clients support scripts to sort your mail.
Another choice is to get the summary, but then it is harder to pick out a message to reply to.

I've been trying to find and set digest mode.Where is it?How do I set it up?

    On Tuesday, January 29, 2019, 12:46:41 PM CST, Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]> wrote:

 Try setting up sub-folders and mail filters. That might help at least shunt the mail off out of your main inbox till you can look over it.

I also commented in the other thread you can select digest mode, which will give you one message per day, but is more difficult to follow threads and reply.

> On Jan 29, 2019, at 12:29 PM, Jason Voss <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Not receiving duplicates.
> However, I am receiving lots of email.
> Trying to identify topic categories of interest to cut down on volumn.
> It is far from clear where or how to define these.
>
> I don't want to unsubscribe but I need a large reduction in total volumn.
>
> Jason Voss

Re: [GNC] Migrating from AceMoney

Adrien Monteleone-2
Check your mailman preferences as noted in my earlier reply.

> On Jan 29, 2019, at 12:51 PM, Jason Voss <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I've been trying to find and set digest mode.
> Where is it?
> How do I set it up?
>
> Jason Voss
>
> “You cannot build character and courage by taking away a man’s initiative and independence.” – Abraham Lincoln
>

> On Tuesday, January 29, 2019, 12:46:41 PM CST, Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Try setting up sub-folders and mail filters. That might help at least shunt the mail off out of your main inbox till you can look over it.
>
> I also commented in the other thread you can select digest mode, which will give you one message per day, but is more difficult to follow threads and reply.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
>
> > On Jan 29, 2019, at 12:29 PM, Jason Voss <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Not receiving duplicates.
> > However, I am receiving lots of email.
> > Trying to identify topic categories of interest to cut down on volumn.
> > It is far from clear where or how to define these.
> >
> > I don't want to unsubscribe but I need a large reduction in total volumn.
> >
> > Jason Voss

Re: [GNC] Migrating from AceMoney

Jason,
No problem.

The reply All only works if the email message originates from the email list or "[hidden email]" is in the
From field in the email you are replying to. If there is any problem and the gnucash-user address above doesn't show up
> [...]

> > Wondering if this will be a shortcoming for me trying to export/import my data?
> >
> > Jason Voss
> >
> > “You cannot build character and courage by taking away a man’s initiative and independence.” – Abraham Lincoln
> >

> > On Monday, January 28, 2019, 3:59:59 PM CST, David Cousens <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > Found a link which indicates AceMoney can export in QIF format. QIF is not a
> > well standardized format but GnuCash can generally import it.
> >
> > You may also like to consider the following python program for translating
> > Acemoney  files to GnuCash files. No idea how current it is and what
> > versions of AceMOney and Gnucash it translates between but it is likely to
> > be to an earlier GnuCash 2.4 or 2.6 file not the current 3 version series.
> > The release notes have details of any changes in the GnuCash file formats

Hi Jason,
I've been using AceMoney for my personal accounts since 2005 and like it very much but I also started using GnuCash two or three years ago for a family house-building project and, for that purpose, it has been more useful than AceMoney.
I recently started running personal accounts on GnuCash in parallel with AceMoney in order to check which suits my needs best.
The way I transferred data from AceMoney to GnuCash was via csv (because they can be edited easily in Excel). The first transfer did not work very well because I was unsure about the process and, in particular, which field names to use. Once I had figured it out and deleted those first attempts, importing became quite straightforward, although I did find it necessary to edit amounts that did not have a decimal point as GnuCash divides such amounts by 100.  It was easier to do that edit in Excel than in GnuCash.
I agree with David's comments (copied below) recommending that you limit the number of files imported initially while GnuCash learns how you want them assigned.
Kind regards,Alan
Quoted texts below...
From: Jason Voss <[hidden email]>