[GNC] Memorized Transaction List

Stephen
I couldn't find a way to practical way import new transactions, say QFX, into
an account, say a new Credit Card Account, and easily create new Expense
Accounts from either the Generic Import Transaction Matcher or the Credit
Card Account.

Even Quicken 2002 makes matching transactions to non setup accounts a
breeze. Perhaps a separate  Memorized Transaction List window where
transactions and their accounts could be created, assigned or reassigned.

There is no shortcut to create a new account. There is no extensive list of
shortcuts in the documentation.

When you try to search if there is an exiting account within the GITM or
within an account "Account" drop-down column to change from Imbalance, one
needs to type the whole "Expense:Utilites:Gas" instead of "Gas".

Has anyone else struggled with the GITM? For example, it took me some time
just to realize that the Window itself, does not open to default maximized
(Windows 7 o/s) and the A, U+R, R, Info columns might be missed if you
didn't  know to drag the window open.

Anyone starting without Quicken files, who would like to import hundreds of
transactions and easily creating new sub accounts might find it easier with
a "Memorized Transaction List" window.

Re: [GNC] Memorized Transaction List

GnuCash - User mailing list
Most users, having done their initial import, will have an existing account structure into which they fit incoming transactions. Thus, the need for repeated addition of accounts while importing is, in the long run, a diminishing requirement.

That being said, it would be nice to streamline the addition of an account while in the midst of another process. I know I'd like that for when my broker picks up a new mutual fund, which needs several accounts...

The challenges of the account picker have been noted before; Unfortunately, no one has stepped up to rewrite the code to make this happen. Perhaps you have some programming skills, and could dig in to the code and help change it.

BTW, Gnucash and Quicken are different products. You might as well get used to that now.

David T.

On February 18, 2019, at 1:39 PM, Stephen <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Stephen M. Butler
On 2/18/19 3:49 AM, D via gnucash-user wrote:
> Most users, having done their initial import, will have an existing account structure into which they fit incoming transactions. Thus, the need for repeated addition of accounts while importing is, in the long run, a diminishing requirement.
>
> That being said, it would be nice to streamline the addition of an account while in the midst of another process. I know I'd like that for when my broker picks up a new mutual fund, which needs several accounts...
>
> The challenges of the account picker have been noted before; Unfortunately, no one has stepped up to rewrite the code to make this happen. Perhaps you have some programming skills, and could dig in to the code and help change it.

I must be doing something wrong.  During import (or other activity) if I
enter an unknown account name into the account field it asks me if I
want to create a new one.

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
253-350-0166

Re: [GNC] Memorized Transaction List

I thought the importer prompted you to create new accounts, no? Certainly the register does if I enter a new one or mistype an existing one.

You can import accounts by themselves. (though not easily via export from Quicken)

Do an export on your current accounts to get the CSV structure, then use that as a guide to add your new accounts in bulk. How you get them into that CSV, either via some other export that you modify or typing them out is up to you.

As for selecting accounts in the drop down, you don’t have to type the entire account path.

You only need to type those characters that are unique to that level of the tree which is usually only the first two or three letters of each level.

Per your example, “Ex:Ut:Ga” will likely get you to Expense:Utilites:Gas fairly quickly.

I believe this shortcut is covered in the Help Manual.

> On Feb 17, 2019, at 9:26 AM, Stephen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I couldn't find a way to practical way import new transactions, say QFX, into
> an account, say a new Credit Card Account, and easily create new Expense
> Accounts from either the Generic Import Transaction Matcher or the Credit
> Card Account.
>
> Even Quicken 2002 makes matching transactions to non setup accounts a
> breeze. Perhaps a separate  Memorized Transaction List window where
> transactions and their accounts could be created, assigned or reassigned.
>
> There is no shortcut to create a new account. There is no extensive list of
> shortcuts in the documentation.
>
> When you try to search if there is an exiting account within the GITM or
> within an account "Account" drop-down column to change from Imbalance, one
> needs to type the whole "Expense:Utilites:Gas" instead of "Gas".
>
> Has anyone else struggled with the GITM? For example, it took me some time
> just to realize that the Window itself, does not open to default maximized
> (Windows 7 o/s) and the A, U+R, R, Info columns might be missed if you
> didn't  know to drag the window open.
>
> Anyone starting without Quicken files, who would like to import hundreds of
> transactions and easily creating new sub accounts might find it easier with
> a "Memorized Transaction List" window.

Re: [GNC] Memorized Transaction List

David Carlson-4
IIRC, the qif importer is (or was, in the 2.6.x series) somewhat clunky
when it came upon an unknown 'other' account or category.  It may have
needed a nudge to place it correctly into the account tree.  I don't think
it dumped everything into some imbalance file without giving the user a
chance make a better choice.  Fo me, I last used that feature about a
decade ago, so I could be wrong.

David Carlson

On Mon, Feb 18, 2019, 4:01 PM Adrien Monteleone <
[hidden email] wrote:

> I thought the importer prompted you to create new accounts, no? Certainly
> the register does if I enter a new one or mistype an existing one.
>
> You can import accounts by themselves. (though not easily via export from
> Quicken)
>
> Do an export on your current accounts to get the CSV structure, then use
> that as a guide to add your new accounts in bulk. How you get them into
> that CSV, either via some other export that you modify or typing them out
> is up to you.
>
> As for selecting accounts in the drop down, you don’t have to type the
> entire account path.
>
> You only need to type those characters that are unique to that level of
> the tree which is usually only the first two or three letters of each level.
>
> Per your example, “Ex:Ut:Ga” will likely get you to Expense:Utilites:Gas
> fairly quickly.
>
> I believe this shortcut is covered in the Help Manual.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
>
> > On Feb 17, 2019, at 9:26 AM, Stephen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I couldn't find a way to practical way import new transactions, say QFX,
> into
> > an account, say a new Credit Card Account, and easily create new Expense
> > Accounts from either the Generic Import Transaction Matcher or the Credit
> > Card Account.
> >
> > Even Quicken 2002 makes matching transactions to non setup accounts a
> > breeze. Perhaps a separate  Memorized Transaction List window where
> > transactions and their accounts could be created, assigned or reassigned.
> >
> > There is no shortcut to create a new account. There is no extensive list
> of
> > shortcuts in the documentation.
> >
> > When you try to search if there is an exiting account within the GITM or
> > within an account "Account" drop-down column to change from Imbalance,
> one
> > needs to type the whole "Expense:Utilites:Gas" instead of "Gas".
> >
> > Has anyone else struggled with the GITM? For example, it took me some
> time
> > just to realize that the Window itself, does not open to default
> maximized
> > (Windows 7 o/s) and the A, U+R, R, Info columns might be missed if you
> > didn't  know to drag the window open.
> >
> > Anyone starting without Quicken files, who would like to import hundreds
> of
> > transactions and easily creating new sub accounts might find it easier
> with
> > a "Memorized Transaction List" window.

Re: [GNC] Memorized Transaction List

Cutting parts to make things clearer...
My phone mail client doesn't handle inline well, top posting.
I imagine you *are* doing something wrong.  Everyone does.

The "account picker" reference is to the difficulty in selecting the "Gas" subaccount when in the import process.
I am well aware of the account creation process (I thought I made that clear). It is thorough but disruptive-- especially if the amount to be created involves a new commodity. I'm glad it works for you.
David

  On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 23:35, Stephen M. Butler<[hidden email]> wrote:   On 2/18/19 3:49 AM, D via gnucash-user wrote:

> The challenges of the account picker have been noted before; Unfortunately, no one has stepped up to rewrite the code to make this happen. Perhaps you have some programming skills, and could dig in to the code and help change it.

I must be doing something wrong.  During import (or other activity) if I
enter an unknown account name into the account field it asks me if I
want to create a new one.

> David T.
>
> On February 18, 2019, at 1:39 PM, Stephen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> There is no shortcut to create a new account. There is no extensive list of
> shortcuts in the documentation.
>
> When you try to search if there is an exiting account within the GITM or
> within an account "Account" drop-down column to change from Imbalance, one
> needs to type the whole "Expense:Utilites:Gas" instead of "Gas".

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
253-350-0166

Re: [GNC] Memorized Transaction List

Derek Atkins-3
David Carlson <[hidden email]> writes:

> IIRC, the qif importer is (or was, in the 2.6.x series) somewhat clunky
> when it came upon an unknown 'other' account or category.  It may have
> needed a nudge to place it correctly into the account tree.  I don't think
> it dumped everything into some imbalance file without giving the user a
> chance make a better choice.  Fo me, I last used that feature about a
> decade ago, so I could be wrong.

The QIF import did lazy account creation -- it would only touch your
actual account tree at the end, after you click "Finish".   The Generic
Importer, however, will make account modifications enroute, including
creating new accounts.

For QIF, new accounts wont get properly mapped into the tree, so you
either need to pre-create the gnucash account and map it in the
importer, or you need to modify the QIF to read, e.g.:

LExpenses:Groceries

instead of:

LGroceries

to properly place it in the tree.

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745

Re: [GNC] Memorized Transaction List

David Carlson-4
That is an incredibly useful tidbit!!!!!   Thanks.

David Carlson