[GNC] Lost all my transactions on Gnu cash

12

[GNC] Lost all my transactions on Gnu cash

Georgina Hunter-Jones
Dear Gnu Cash information,
I hope you can help.

I have an Appl Mac laptop. I recently upgraded my working system to
Mojavie, but then discovered my Gnu accounts package did not work.

However, I was able to download a version of Gnu cash on an older computer,
transferred the files to this older computer, and can now open the Gnu cash
file. However, all the data appears to be lost. Do you have any idea how to
recover the data?

Many thanks,
Georgina Hunter

Re: [GNC] Lost all my transactions on Gnu cash

David Cousens
Georgina,

If the earlier version was 2.6.x  ( use Help->About to check the version
running) and the version on Mojave is V3.x, there is a file conversion which
should be run the first time you open the data file. Most of it is related
to changes in the locations of configuration files but there may have been
some file conversion. That you can open the file on an earlier version
indicates this has not happened as you should not be able to open the file
with a 2.6.x version once it has been converted to run with v3.

https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Configuration_Locations  gives the locations
for the configuration files for all 3 Operating systems. the locations
labelled as MacOS.  If you have no files in the config locations listed for
v3 and there are files in the locations listed for V2.6 then it is likely
the conversion won't have happened.

I don't use MacOS but know some users have experienced difficulty with
initially running v3.  If you look back through the user mailing list
archives
"http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=search_page&node=1415818&query=MacOS+++Gnucash+won%27t+open&days=180"
you should throw up some posts which should have some useful details and
solutions. Failing that one of the MacOS users may reply.

Good luck

Re: [GNC] Lost all my transactions on Gnu cash

Also returns from a Mojave specific search

http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=search_page&node=1415818&query=MacOS++Mojave+Gnucash+won%27t+open&days=180

Re: [GNC] Lost all my transactions on Gnu cash

David,

I am able to run 2.6.19 and 3.4 on the same data file without problem. For most users, there are no such file changes--although I believe there is a date format change in one of the SQL storage back ends that might cause this. Gnucash developers have very carefully ensured that such changes only occur exceptionally, and are prominently highlighted.

As for your other points, Georgina didn't say she was having trouble opening Gnucash, she said her data was gone. That doesn't sound anything like those problems.

Georgina,

You said:

 "I have an Appl Mac laptop. I recently upgraded my working system to
Mojavie, but then discovered my Gnu accounts package did not work.

However, I was able to download a version of Gnu cash on an older computer,
transferred the files to this older computer, and can now open the Gnu cash
file. However, all the data appears to be lost. Do you have any idea how to
recover the data?"

 When you upgraded, what problem did you encounter? What version of Gnucash did not work? What operating system was on your older computer? What version of Gnucash worked on that? Which files did you copy? How did you open the empty file on the older computer? Are you sure you opened the correct data file? And, have you ever made any backups of your system (e.g., using Time Machine)?

There are many questions here, and I know you're worried right now, but it will take more digging to get to the bottom of your situation. The more detail you provide, the better you'll receive. David T.

On January 15, 2019, at 8:00 AM, David Cousens <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

A few other suggestions:

1. Which files did you transfer ? While that sounds obvious, it is not always
so. So this question is to ensure you really did copy your gnucash data file
to the older computer.

2. How have you tried to open your gnucash data file ? It's important to
realize that on MacOS double-clicking on a random gnucash data file doesn't
necessarily mean that file will be opened. GnuCash will always reopen that
previously last opened file (which may be different from the one you double-
clicked on). To fix that you can:
- Start the gnucash application
- Select File->Open
- Navigate to your gnucash data file and open it this way

Will that bring your data back ?

Re: [GNC] Lost all my transactions on Gnu cash

Geert Janssens-4
Hi Georgina,

You may not realize you sent this mail to me in private, while it was expected
to go to the mailing list.

Please remember to always reply to the mailing list instead of individuals.
That way you are much more likely to get a helpful answer.

In order to reply to the mailing list you can use the "Reply to all" or "Reply
to list" buttons or menu items in your e-mail program.

I realize some clients tend to hide these options, but if you look carefully
you will always find some function to do so.

I'm forwarding your message to the mailing list on your behalf so the
community as a whole has a chance to help you.

Op dinsdag 15 januari 2019 12:52:50 CET schreef Georgina Hunter-Jones:

> Dear Geert,
> Thank you, that helped to a certain extent. I can now see lines of
> information with the account details. However, it appears to be 'read only'
> and I cannot enter any further data. I also cannot see anything more than
> an overall view of the account, ie no dates etc.
>
> Anything I can do to change that? Thank you very much for your help so far.
> Best wishes, Georgina
>

> On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 8:31 AM Geert Janssens <[hidden email]>
>
> wrote:
> > A few other suggestions:
> >
> > 1. Which files did you transfer ? While that sounds obvious, it is not
> > always
> > so. So this question is to ensure you really did copy your gnucash data
> > file
> > to the older computer.
> >
> > 2. How have you tried to open your gnucash data file ? It's important to
> > realize that on MacOS double-clicking on a random gnucash data file
> > doesn't
> > necessarily mean that file will be opened. GnuCash will always reopen that
> > previously last opened file (which may be different from the one you
> > double-
> > clicked on). To fix that you can:
> > - Start the gnucash application
> > - Select File->Open
> > - Navigate to your gnucash data file and open it this way
> >
> > Will that bring your data back ?
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Geert

Re: [GNC] Lost all my transactions on Gnu cash

Derek Atkins-3
Dear Georgina,

[snip]

> Op dinsdag 15 januari 2019 12:52:50 CET schreef Georgina Hunter-Jones:
>> Dear Geert,
>> Thank you, that helped to a certain extent. I can now see lines of
>> information with the account details. However, it appears to be 'read
>> only'
>> and I cannot enter any further data. I also cannot see anything more
>> than
>> an overall view of the account, ie no dates etc.
>>
>> Anything I can do to change that? Thank you very much for your help so
>> far.
>> Best wishes, Georgina

This sounds like it could be a permissions problem, although I'm not
familiar enough with MacOS permissions to know how best to fix it.
Hopefully a MacOS expert will come in.  But it really sounds like when you
copied your data file you put it into a directory that your current user
does not have access to write new files.

Can you try this:

Make a new folder from the Finder
Copy your data file to the new Folder
Open GnuCash
File -> Open the data file from the new folder

Does this help?

>> On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 8:31 AM Geert Janssens
>> <[hidden email]>
>>
>> wrote:
>> > A few other suggestions:
>> >
>> > 1. Which files did you transfer ? While that sounds obvious, it is not
>> > always
>> > so. So this question is to ensure you really did copy your gnucash
>> data
>> > file
>> > to the older computer.
>> >
>> > 2. How have you tried to open your gnucash data file ? It's important
>> > realize that on MacOS double-clicking on a random gnucash data file
>> > doesn't
>> > necessarily mean that file will be opened. GnuCash will always reopen
>> that
>> > previously last opened file (which may be different from the one you
>> > double-
>> > clicked on). To fix that you can:
>> > - Start the gnucash application
>> > - Select File->Open
>> > - Navigate to your gnucash data file and open it this way
>> >
>> > Will that bring your data back ?
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > Geert

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745

Re: [GNC] Lost all my transactions on Gnu cash

Georgina Hunter-Jones
Thanks, i’ll Try that. Georgina

On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 2:00 PM Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Georgina,
>
> [snip]
> > Op dinsdag 15 januari 2019 12:52:50 CET schreef Georgina Hunter-Jones:
> >> Dear Geert,
> >> Thank you, that helped to a certain extent. I can now see lines of
> >> information with the account details. However, it appears to be 'read
> >> only'
> >> and I cannot enter any further data. I also cannot see anything more
> >> than
> >> an overall view of the account, ie no dates etc.
> >>
> >> Anything I can do to change that? Thank you very much for your help so
> >> far.
> >> Best wishes, Georgina
>
> This sounds like it could be a permissions problem, although I'm not
> familiar enough with MacOS permissions to know how best to fix it.
> Hopefully a MacOS expert will come in.  But it really sounds like when you
> copied your data file you put it into a directory that your current user
> does not have access to write new files.
>
> Can you try this:
>
> Make a new folder from the Finder
> Copy your data file to the new Folder
> Open GnuCash
> File -> Open the data file from the new folder
>
> Does this help?
>
> >> On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 8:31 AM Geert Janssens
> >> <[hidden email]>

> >> data

> >> that

>        Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
>        [hidden email]             www.ihtfp.com
>        Computer and Internet Security Consultant

Re: [GNC] Lost all my transactions on Gnu cash

David,

The link https://lists.gnucash.org/search/?idxinfo=gnucash-user suggest
using either Google or Nabble to search the archives as the Mailman
interface is not searchable.

No local search
Currently, there is no on-site mechanism to search the GnuCash mailing
lists. Instead, you can search the lists using one of these external sites:

Google
Nabble
These links prepopulate the search form with the list you want to search.

If for some reason that didn't happen (e.g. if JavaScript is disabled):

For Google
In the search bar, type site:lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/list-name to search
a specific list, or site:lists.gnucash.org to search them all
For Nabble
By default, all of the lists will be searched. The individual lists can be
found at the Sub-forums link

D via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> writes:

> Interesting. I seem to recall someone instructing people to use only
> lists.gnucash.org for such searches, and was not aware of the
> reference you cite. A search of the wiki only shows an example for
> lists.gnucash.org on the mailing lists page. I must be showing my
> age...

No, the current primary suggestion is google limited to
site:lists.gnucash.org for your searches.

> David T.

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745

Re: [GNC] Lost all my transactions on Gnu cash

Back to the original problem,

I would suspect maybe a viewing filter is at play? That *could* explain why some transactions aren’t visible.

The read-only problem *could* be a permissions issue on the file itself. If register transactions are the only thing that is ‘read-only’ then I’d say that eliminates MacOS file permission problems. It would be an all or nothing deal. (try creating a scheduled transaction, or edit a budget, enter an invoice, etc.)

Also, I’m not sure what you mean by “I also cannot see anything more than an overall view of the account, ie no dates etc.”

Could you provide a screenshot? (block out any sensitive info of course)

> On Jan 15, 2019, at 8:38 AM, Georgina Hunter-Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks, i’ll Try that. Georgina
>
> On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 2:00 PM Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Dear Georgina,
>>
>> [snip]

>> This sounds like it could be a permissions problem, although I'm not
>> familiar enough with MacOS permissions to know how best to fix it.
>> Hopefully a MacOS expert will come in.  But it really sounds like when you
>> copied your data file you put it into a directory that your current user
>> does not have access to write new files.
>>
>> Can you try this:
>>
>> Make a new folder from the Finder
>> Copy your data file to the new Folder
>> Open GnuCash
>> File -> Open the data file from the new folder
>>
>> Does this help?

>> -derek
>>
>> --
>>       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
>>       [hidden email]             www.ihtfp.com
>>       Computer and Internet Security Consultant

Re: [GNC] Lost all my transactions on Gnu cash

Georgina Hunter-Jones
Thanks, sadly it did not work. Sorry that replies are so slow, Im not
always with the old computer. Thanks

On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 2:38 PM Georgina Hunter-Jones <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks, i’ll Try that. Georgina
>
> On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 2:00 PM Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Dear Georgina,
>>
>> [snip]

>> This sounds like it could be a permissions problem, although I'm not
>> familiar enough with MacOS permissions to know how best to fix it.
>> Hopefully a MacOS expert will come in.  But it really sounds like when you
>> copied your data file you put it into a directory that your current user
>> does not have access to write new files.
>>
>> Can you try this:
>>
>> Make a new folder from the Finder
>> Copy your data file to the new Folder
>> Open GnuCash
>> File -> Open the data file from the new folder
>>
>> Does this help?

>> not

>> -derek
>>
>> --
>>        Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
>>        [hidden email]             www.ihtfp.com
>>        Computer and Internet Security Consultant

Re: [GNC] Lost all my transactions on Gnu cash

Derek Atkins-3
Hi,

So if that didn't work -- how is it telling you that it is read-only?
Could you supply a screen shot?
Maybe a step-by-step of what you do and what happens?

I'm at a loss for what else would cause a read-only situation here except,
perhaps, you opening a placeholder account.

On Tue, January 22, 2019 3:55 pm, Georgina Hunter-Jones wrote:

> Thanks, sadly it did not work. Sorry that replies are so slow, Im not
> always with the old computer. Thanks
>
> On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 2:38 PM Georgina Hunter-Jones <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Thanks, i’ll Try that. Georgina
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 2:00 PM Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Georgina,
>>>
>>> [snip]
>>> Hunter-Jones:
>>> 'read

>>> so
>>>
>>> This sounds like it could be a permissions problem, although I'm not
>>> familiar enough with MacOS permissions to know how best to fix it.
>>> Hopefully a MacOS expert will come in.  But it really sounds like when
>>> you
>>> copied your data file you put it into a directory that your current
>>> user
>>> does not have access to write new files.
>>>
>>> Can you try this:
>>>
>>> Make a new folder from the Finder
>>> Copy your data file to the new Folder
>>> Open GnuCash
>>> File -> Open the data file from the new folder
>>>
>>> Does this help?

>>> not

>>> important
>>> file
>>> reopen
>>> you

>>> -derek
>>>
>>> --
>>>        Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
>>>        [hidden email]             www.ihtfp.com
>>>        Computer and Internet Security Consultant

--
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745

Re: [GNC] Lost all my transactions on Gnu cash

Georgina Hunter-Jones
Ah, it said it was read only a page or so ago. I keep fiddling with it,
hoping to get back to my accounts, but I seem to be making it worse. If I
can get the read only thing back I’ll take a screenshot. Sorry. I’m getting
a bit lost here.

On Tue, 22 Jan 2019 at 21:00, Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> So if that didn't work -- how is it telling you that it is read-only?
> Could you supply a screen shot?
> Maybe a step-by-step of what you do and what happens?
>
> I'm at a loss for what else would cause a read-only situation here except,
> perhaps, you opening a placeholder account.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -derek
>
> On Tue, January 22, 2019 3:55 pm, Georgina Hunter-Jones wrote:
> > Thanks, sadly it did not work. Sorry that replies are so slow, Im not
> > always with the old computer. Thanks
> >
> > On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 2:38 PM Georgina Hunter-Jones <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks, i’ll Try that. Georgina

> --
>        Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
>        [hidden email]             www.ihtfp.com
>        Computer and Internet Security Consultant

Re: [GNC] Lost all my transactions on Gnu cash

Derek Atkins-3
Was it just one account register that was readonly??  Or was it when you
opened the file?

What do you mean by "get back to my accounts"?  Are you missing the Chart
of Accounts Page?  If so, use View -> New Accounts Page

-derek

On Tue, January 22, 2019 4:04 pm, Georgina Hunter-Jones wrote:

> Ah, it said it was read only a page or so ago. I keep fiddling with it,
> hoping to get back to my accounts, but I seem to be making it worse. If I
> can get the read only thing back I’ll take a screenshot. Sorry. I’m
> getting
> a bit lost here.
>
> On Tue, 22 Jan 2019 at 21:00, Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> So if that didn't work -- how is it telling you that it is read-only?
>> Could you supply a screen shot?
>> Maybe a step-by-step of what you do and what happens?
>>
>> I'm at a loss for what else would cause a read-only situation here
>> except,
>> perhaps, you opening a placeholder account.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> -derek
>>
>> On Tue, January 22, 2019 3:55 pm, Georgina Hunter-Jones wrote:
>> > Thanks, sadly it did not work. Sorry that replies are so slow, Im not
>> > always with the old computer. Thanks

>> of
>> more

>> help

>> when

>> is
>> gnucash

>> one

>> --
>>        Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
>>        [hidden email]             www.ihtfp.com
>>        Computer and Internet Security Consultant

--
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745

Re: [GNC] Lost all my transactions on Gnu cash

Georgina Hunter-Jones
I tried that but all i get is a blank page with headings.

On Tue, 22 Jan 2019 at 21:08, Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Was it just one account register that was readonly??  Or was it when you
> opened the file?
>
> What do you mean by "get back to my accounts"?  Are you missing the Chart
> of Accounts Page?  If so, use View -> New Accounts Page
>
> -derek
>
> On Tue, January 22, 2019 4:04 pm, Georgina Hunter-Jones wrote:
> > Ah, it said it was read only a page or so ago. I keep fiddling with it,
> > hoping to get back to my accounts, but I seem to be making it worse. If I
> > can get the read only thing back I’ll take a screenshot. Sorry. I’m
> > getting
> > a bit lost here.
> >
> > On Tue, 22 Jan 2019 at 21:00, Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> So if that didn't work -- how is it telling you that it is read-only?
> >> Could you supply a screen shot?
> >> Maybe a step-by-step of what you do and what happens?
> >>
> >> I'm at a loss for what else would cause a read-only situation here
> >> except,
> >> perhaps, you opening a placeholder account.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> -derek

> >> of
> >> more

> >> help

> >> when

> >> is
> >> gnucash

> >> one

> >> --
> >>        Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
> >>        [hidden email]             www.ihtfp.com
> >>        Computer and Internet Security Consultant
> >>

> --
>        Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
>        [hidden email]             www.ihtfp.com
>        Computer and Internet Security Consultant

Re: [GNC] Lost all my transactions on Gnu cash

Derek Atkins-3
If that's a blank page then that means you have no data open.  Did you try
using File -> New File?  That might have done it.

Let's start over -- Go to File -> Open and then get to the folder where
your data file is located and open it.  What happens then?

-derek

On Tue, January 22, 2019 4:11 pm, Georgina Hunter-Jones wrote:

> I tried that but all i get is a blank page with headings.
>
> On Tue, 22 Jan 2019 at 21:08, Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Was it just one account register that was readonly??  Or was it when you
>> opened the file?
>>
>> What do you mean by "get back to my accounts"?  Are you missing the
>> Chart
>> of Accounts Page?  If so, use View -> New Accounts Page
>>
>> -derek
>>
>> On Tue, January 22, 2019 4:04 pm, Georgina Hunter-Jones wrote:
>> > Ah, it said it was read only a page or so ago. I keep fiddling with
>> it,
>> > hoping to get back to my accounts, but I seem to be making it worse.
>> If I
>> > can get the read only thing back I’ll take a screenshot. Sorry. I’m
>> > getting
>> > a bit lost here.

>> not

>> lines
>> be
>> anything

>> not
>> it.
>> current

>> it

>> data
>> always

>> --
>>        Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
>>        [hidden email]             www.ihtfp.com
>>        Computer and Internet Security Consultant

--
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745

Re: [GNC] Lost all my transactions on Gnu cash

Georgina Hunter-Jones
Yes, thank you, that worked in that I now have a page with headings and my
accounts in total numbers. For example, the first one is Assets, next
Dehumidifier, then equity, expenses etc and all except Dehumidifier have
totals, but I still can not get into add new inputs.