[GNC] Logging into the forum

GnuCash - User mailing list
Hi

Do I have to register a new account?

-
Regards,
Justin Mathew
[hidden email]

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

Liz

Re: [GNC] Logging into the forum

Liz
On Thu, 18 Apr 2019 10:22:43 +0000
Justin Mathew via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Can't I login to http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/ using my email
> address subscribed to mailing list and the password provided? I tried
> and it didn't work.

So you have answered your question correctly.
It's No.

> Do I have to register a new account?

If you want to use Nabble you need to register with Nabble.

Liz

Re: [GNC] Logging into the forum

Derek Atkins-3

On Thu, April 18, 2019 6:22 am, Justin Mathew via gnucash-user wrote:
> Hi
>
> Can't I login to http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/ using my email
> address subscribed to mailing list and the password provided? I tried and
> it didn't work.
>
> Do I have to register a new account?

Nabble is a third-party service not at all connected with the GnuCash
project.  GnuCash has no forums, just an email list.  Nabble takes that
list and, in however they do it, provides a web front end.  IF you decide
to use Nabble's services, you are doing so completely separate from the
GnuCash mailing lists.

So to answer your question, yes, you need a separate login between Nabble
and GnuCash.  If you signed up for the GnuCash lists you can NOT use that
login at nabble.  And if you sign up for nabble, your posts will get
moderated until you sign up for the list with GnuCash.

Enjoy!

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745

Re: [GNC] Logging into the forum

GnuCash - User mailing list
Thanks Derek,

Is there any reason why we do not have an official forum? Or is it that users are happier with mailing list?

This is my first mailing list subscription, hence I may not be aware of those advantages it has over forums (if any).

-

Justin Mathew <[hidden email]> writes:

> Thanks Derek,
>
> Is there any reason why we do not have an official forum? Or is it
> that users are happier with mailing list?
>
> This is my first mailing list subscription, hence I may not be aware
> of those advantages it has over forums (if any).

Many reasons...
 -- 20+ years of history.
 -- Monitoring a forum is MUCH harder, unless you use email
    notifications, in which case, might as well START with email.
 -- SPAM prevention is easier on a mailing list

I could continue, but honestly, it's not worth my time..  Search the
history to find more discussions about this.

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745

On Thursday, April 18, 2019 8:24 PM, Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Justin Mathew [hidden email] writes:
>
> > Thanks Derek,
> > Is there any reason why we do not have an official forum? Or is it
> > that users are happier with mailing list?
> > This is my first mailing list subscription, hence I may not be aware
> > of those advantages it has over forums (if any).
>
> Many reasons...
> -- 20+ years of history.
> -- Monitoring a forum is MUCH harder, unless you use email
> notifications, in which case, might as well START with email.
> -- SPAM prevention is easier on a mailing list
>
> I could continue, but honestly, it's not worth my time.. Search the
> history to find more discussions about this.
>
> -derek
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>        Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
>        [hidden email]             www.ihtfp.com
>        Computer and Internet Security Consultant

Re: [GNC] Logging into the forum

David Cousens
Justin,

Possibly not kosher for security reasons but I use the same credentials on
both Nabble and the mailing list (just have to remember to update both if I
change a pasword) , registered separately for each, and it works fine. I
can use either for replying to posts but obviously not both. I find email
easier to use on my phone and Nabble easier from my laptop and desktop as it
is easier to follow the threads although that can also be done from the
mailing list. While Nabble is not official it works well if you like that
interface.