[GNC] Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya and Gnucash 3.2

12

[GNC] Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya and Gnucash 3.2

Plutocrat
The state of Gnucash in Ubuntu is not a happy one. Its packages are inherited from Debian, and for whatever reason, they've been lagging behind. I've tried to suggest upgrading a couple of times but to no avail, although one person did suggest that if I couched it as a Bug (i.e. version 3.2 fixes a lot of bugs) then I'd stand a better chance.

There is a version 3.2 coming through in Debian unstable. Seems like it might make it into 18.10, but that wouldn't get it into 18.04 or Mint 18.2. Getdeb used to be an option, but it died with no explanation last September. There was also an Ubuntu PPA which died. I offered my services to try compiling 3.2 but received no response.

It seems like perhaps your best option is one recently suggested on this list, which is to uninstall your current version and install the flatpack version, (a sort of app container, which includes all the dependencies). I installed this on a spare laptop, and it seemed to work and opened my 2.6 file without issue, but I haven't really kicked the tyres on it.
        https://flathub.org/apps/details/org.gnucash.GnuCash

I think Linux Mint includes flatpack by default, so it may just be as simple as
        flatpak install flathub org.gnucash.GnuCash
        flatpak run org.gnucash.GnuCash

Of course, backup your accounts files, config etc first, so you can go back to 2.6 should you need to.

P.

[hidden email] wrote on Saturday, 28 July, 2018 03:05 PM:

> Subject:
> [GNC] Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya and Gnucash 3.2
> From:
> "Shabuboy.joy" <[hidden email]>
> Date:
> Sat, 28 Jul 2018 01:11:08 -0500 (CDT)
> I just migrated from Quicken to Gnucash. Loving it so far!
>
> The question i have is: Will Gnucash 3.2 be available for Linux Mint 18.2?
> The software manager installed 2.6.12
> i did the apt update and upgrade and still same version is listed.
>
> i also tried the getweb but got the same version, at least it told me the
> same version was installed already.
>
> I see the new version can be built from the source, but I am far from being
> a Linux expert and never done that before.

Re: [GNC] Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya and Gnucash 3.2

Les Elliott
I have a test laptop running LM 19.  I installed the GC 3.2 unsing
Flatpac and it went without a hitch.  However, there was no support for
obtaining quotes for stocks or currencies, even though F::Q 1.47 was
installed and with an AlphaVantage key in the environment.

I am still using LM 18.2 on my production laptop running GC 2.6.21 which
was installed using Snap.

Les

On 07/28/2018 04:28 AM, Plutocrat wrote:

> The state of Gnucash in Ubuntu is not a happy one. Its packages are inherited from Debian, and for whatever reason, they've been lagging behind. I've tried to suggest upgrading a couple of times but to no avail, although one person did suggest that if I couched it as a Bug (i.e. version 3.2 fixes a lot of bugs) then I'd stand a better chance.
>
> There is a version 3.2 coming through in Debian unstable. Seems like it might make it into 18.10, but that wouldn't get it into 18.04 or Mint 18.2. Getdeb used to be an option, but it died with no explanation last September. There was also an Ubuntu PPA which died. I offered my services to try compiling 3.2 but received no response.
>
> It seems like perhaps your best option is one recently suggested on this list, which is to uninstall your current version and install the flatpack version, (a sort of app container, which includes all the dependencies). I installed this on a spare laptop, and it seemed to work and opened my 2.6 file without issue, but I haven't really kicked the tyres on it.
> https://flathub.org/apps/details/org.gnucash.GnuCash
>
> I think Linux Mint includes flatpack by default, so it may just be as simple as
> flatpak install flathub org.gnucash.GnuCash
> flatpak run org.gnucash.GnuCash
>
> Of course, backup your accounts files, config etc first, so you can go back to 2.6 should you need to.
>
> P.
>

> [hidden email] wrote on Saturday, 28 July, 2018 03:05 PM:
>> Subject:
>> [GNC] Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya and Gnucash 3.2
>> From:
>> "Shabuboy.joy" <[hidden email]>
>> Date:
>> Sat, 28 Jul 2018 01:11:08 -0500 (CDT)
>> I just migrated from Quicken to Gnucash. Loving it so far!
>>
>> The question i have is: Will Gnucash 3.2 be available for Linux Mint 18.2?
>> The software manager installed 2.6.12
>> i did the apt update and upgrade and still same version is listed.
>>
>> i also tried the getweb but got the same version, at least it told me the
>> same version was installed already.
>>
>> I see the new version can be built from the source, but I am far from being
>> a Linux expert and never done that before.

Re: [GNC] Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya and Gnucash 3.2

Colin Law
On 28 July 2018 at 10:28, Plutocrat <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The state of Gnucash in Ubuntu is not a happy one. Its packages are
> inherited from Debian, and for whatever reason, they've been lagging
> behind. I've tried to suggest upgrading a couple of times but to no avail,
> although one person did suggest that if I couched it as a Bug (i.e. version
> 3.2 fixes a lot of bugs) then I'd stand a better chance.
>
> There is a version 3.2 coming through in Debian unstable. Seems like it
> might make it into 18.10, but that wouldn't get it into 18.04 or Mint 18.2.
> Getdeb used to be an option, but it died with no explanation last
> September. There was also an Ubuntu PPA which died. I offered my services
> to try compiling 3.2 but received no response.
>
> It seems like perhaps your best option is one recently suggested on this
> list, which is to uninstall your current version and install the flatpack
> version, (a sort of app container, which includes all the dependencies). I
> installed this on a spare laptop, and it seemed to work and opened my 2.6
> file without issue, but I haven't really kicked the tyres on it.
>         https://flathub.org/apps/details/org.gnucash.GnuCash
>
> I think Linux Mint includes flatpack by default, so it may just be as
> simple as
>         flatpak install flathub org.gnucash.GnuCash
>         flatpak run org.gnucash.GnuCash
>
> Of course, backup your accounts files, config etc first, so you can go
> back to 2.6 should you need to.

On Ubuntu 18.04 I did
sudo apt install flatpak
sudo flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists flathub
https://dl.flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo

sudo flatpak install flathub org.gnucash.GnuCash
flatpak run org.gnucash.GnuCash

Then can right click - add to favourites to keep it in the launcher.

Colin

On 28 July 2018 at 11:35, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

> sudo flatpak install flathub org.gnucash.GnuCash

and to uninstall it:
sudo flatpak uninstall org.gnucash.GnuCash

Colin

Re: [GNC] Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya and Gnucash 3.2

Deva -
I recently experimented with Linux mint (Tara) edition (which I think is 18.2 - version you are using) and the first thing I checked was the version of GnuCash available for use.

As you noted, the Software Manager has an older version, but you can get the latest 3.2 version from flatpack. Click on Flatpack (or perhaps called Flathub) when inside the Software Manager and search for GnuCash and you will find one packaged. It doesn’t show version info, but when I installed it and ran GnuCash, I found out that it is indeed the latest version.

if you are new to GnuCash, be sure to read the Tutorial & Concepts Guide - an outstandingly well written document! It helped me get over my fear of accounting terminology and accounting in general. All I did was spend half a day with it!

Have fun!

Cheers.

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2018 01:11:08 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Shabuboy.joy" <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
To: [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>
Subject: [GNC] Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya and Gnucash 3.2

Hello,

I just migrated from Quicken to Gnucash. Loving it so far!

The question i have is: Will Gnucash 3.2 be available for Linux Mint 18.2?
The software manager installed 2.6.12
i did the apt update and upgrade and still same version is listed.

i also tried the getweb but got the same version, at least it told me the
same version was installed already.

I see the new version can be built from the source, but I am far from being
a Linux expert and never done that before.

I also have a MacOS running the 3.2 version, so wanted to match both version
on both systems in order to avoid possible bugs between the different
releases.

Regards

Re: [GNC] Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya and Gnucash 3.2

David Cousens
Deva

Linux Mint 19 is called Tara and is based on Ubuntu 18.04.
Linux Mint 18.2 is called Sonya and is based on Ubuntu 16.04
The flatpak version is available in both from the Software manager.

The flatpak version is fine as long as you don't want any of the
optional GnuCashfeatures like
 aqbanking
 sql backends etc
as they do not have these options included in the build. It however
does have any bugs recorded for GnuCash v3.2 so far.

There is an issue to this effect registered with the flatpak package
maintainer on Github but so far no response.

Re: [GNC] Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya and Gnucash 3.2

Deva -
Sorry, I am a newbie to Linux ecosystem and foolishly thought Sonya was the posters name instead of Linux mint version!

In any case, OP should now know what’s possible on Linux.

Thanks for the clarification.

Cheers.

On 28 July 2018 at 13:20, David Cousens <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Deva
>
> Linux Mint 19 is called Tara and is based on Ubuntu 18.04.
> Linux Mint 18.2 is called Sonya and is based on Ubuntu 16.04
> The flatpak version is available in both from the Software manager.
>
> The flatpak version is fine as long as you don't want any of the
> optional GnuCashfeatures like
>  aqbanking
>  sql backends etc

as they do not have these options included in the build. It however
> does have any bugs recorded for GnuCash v3.2 so far.

In fact the sql backend is included in the build, because it is available
from the Save As dialog.  However it doesn't work, for me at least.  In
addition it does not appear to generate a trace file, or at least I can't
find it, so it is difficult to work out what is going wrong.

Colin

Re: [GNC] Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya and Gnucash 3.2

Les Elliott
Following this thread, I checked my installation on my test system
(running LM 19) and found that some of the components of Flatpak were
missing.  I did an uninstall of GC 3.2.  I then added the missing parts
to Flatpak. (Curiously, the instructions for installing Flatpak says
that a reboot is necessary after installing Flatpak.)  I then
reinstalled GC 3.2.  Upon completion, I opened GC and then Price
Editor.  It is grayed out.  Checking Security Editor, all of my
securities are also grayed out.

Also, going to .gnucash in my home directory, there is no environment
file.  So, were does AlphaVantage key go?

Les

On 07/28/2018 07:56 AM, Colin Law wrote:

> On 28 July 2018 at 13:20, David Cousens <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Deva
>>
>> Linux Mint 19 is called Tara and is based on Ubuntu 18.04.
>> Linux Mint 18.2 is called Sonya and is based on Ubuntu 16.04
>> The flatpak version is available in both from the Software manager.
>>
>> The flatpak version is fine as long as you don't want any of the
>> optional GnuCashfeatures like
>>   aqbanking
>>   sql backends etc
>>
> as they do not have these options included in the build. It however
>> does have any bugs recorded for GnuCash v3.2 so far.
>>
> In fact the sql backend is included in the build, because it is available
> from the Save As dialog.  However it doesn't work, for me at least.  In
> addition it does not appear to generate a trace file, or at least I can't
> find it, so it is difficult to work out what is going wrong.
>
> Colin

Re: [GNC] Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya and Gnucash 3.2

Adrien Monteleone-2
It goes in the Online Quotes tab of the app preferences.

> On Jul 28, 2018, at 11:40 AM, Les <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Following this thread, I checked my installation on my test system (running LM 19) and found that some of the components of Flatpak were missing.  I did an uninstall of GC 3.2.  I then added the missing parts to Flatpak. (Curiously, the instructions for installing Flatpak says that a reboot is necessary after installing Flatpak.)  I then reinstalled GC 3.2.  Upon completion, I opened GC and then Price Editor.  It is grayed out.  Checking Security Editor, all of my securities are also grayed out.
>
> Also, going to .gnucash in my home directory, there is no environment file.  So, were does AlphaVantage key go?
>
> Les
>

> On 07/28/2018 07:56 AM, Colin Law wrote:
>> On 28 July 2018 at 13:20, David Cousens <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Deva
>>>
>>> Linux Mint 19 is called Tara and is based on Ubuntu 18.04.
>>> Linux Mint 18.2 is called Sonya and is based on Ubuntu 16.04
>>> The flatpak version is available in both from the Software manager.
>>>
>>> The flatpak version is fine as long as you don't want any of the
>>> optional GnuCashfeatures like
>>>  aqbanking
>>>  sql backends etc
>>>
>> as they do not have these options included in the build. It however
>>> does have any bugs recorded for GnuCash v3.2 so far.
>>>
>> In fact the sql backend is included in the build, because it is available
>> from the Save As dialog.  However it doesn't work, for me at least.  In
>> addition it does not appear to generate a trace file, or at least I can't
>> find it, so it is difficult to work out what is going wrong.
>>
>> Colin

Re: [GNC] Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya and Gnucash 3.2

Colin Law
Which components were missing?

Colin

On 28 July 2018 at 17:40, Les <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Following this thread, I checked my installation on my test system
> (running LM 19) and found that some of the components of Flatpak were
> missing.  I did an uninstall of GC 3.2.  I then added the missing parts to
> Flatpak. (Curiously, the instructions for installing Flatpak says that a
> reboot is necessary after installing Flatpak.)  I then reinstalled GC 3.2.
> Upon completion, I opened GC and then Price Editor.  It is grayed out.
> Checking Security Editor, all of my securities are also grayed out.
>
> Also, going to .gnucash in my home directory, there is no environment
> file.  So, were does AlphaVantage key go?
>
> Les
>

> On 07/28/2018 07:56 AM, Colin Law wrote:
>
>> On 28 July 2018 at 13:20, David Cousens <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Deva
>>>
>>> Linux Mint 19 is called Tara and is based on Ubuntu 18.04.
>>> Linux Mint 18.2 is called Sonya and is based on Ubuntu 16.04
>>> The flatpak version is available in both from the Software manager.
>>>
>>> The flatpak version is fine as long as you don't want any of the
>>> optional GnuCashfeatures like
>>>   aqbanking
>>>   sql backends etc
>>>
>>> as they do not have these options included in the build. It however
>>
>>> does have any bugs recorded for GnuCash v3.2 so far.
>>>
>>> In fact the sql backend is included in the build, because it is available
>> from the Save As dialog.  However it doesn't work, for me at least.  In
>> addition it does not appear to generate a trace file, or at least I can't
>> find it, so it is difficult to work out what is going wrong.
>>
>> Colin

Re: [GNC] Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya and Gnucash 3.2

Les Elliott
Thanks Adrien.

I entered my AlphaVantage Key in the app preferences. However, the Price
Database "Get Quotes" is still grayed out as well as individual
securites in Security Editor.
I seem to be missing something.
Les

On 07/28/2018 11:47 AM, Adrien Monteleone wrote:

> It goes in the Online Quotes tab of the app preferences.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
>
>> On Jul 28, 2018, at 11:40 AM, Les <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Following this thread, I checked my installation on my test system (running LM 19) and found that some of the components of Flatpak were missing.  I did an uninstall of GC 3.2.  I then added the missing parts to Flatpak. (Curiously, the instructions for installing Flatpak says that a reboot is necessary after installing Flatpak.)  I then reinstalled GC 3.2.  Upon completion, I opened GC and then Price Editor.  It is grayed out.  Checking Security Editor, all of my securities are also grayed out.
>>
>> Also, going to .gnucash in my home directory, there is no environment file.  So, were does AlphaVantage key go?
>>
>> Les

>>> as they do not have these options included in the build. It however
>>>>
>>> In fact the sql backend is included in the build, because it is available
>>> from the Save As dialog.  However it doesn't work, for me at least.  In
>>> addition it does not appear to generate a trace file, or at least I can't
>>> find it, so it is difficult to work out what is going wrong.
>>>
>>> Colin

Re: [GNC] Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya and Gnucash 3.2

Les Elliott
gnome-software-plugin-flatpak and I believe libflatpak0. Also, the PPA
was missing from the Repo.

As an aside, I originally installed Flatpak based on the original
posting on this list a couple of months ago.  I guess I missed some
steps. :-[

Les

On 07/28/2018 12:18 PM, Colin Law wrote:

> Which components were missing?
>
> Colin
>
> On 28 July 2018 at 17:40, Les <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Following this thread, I checked my installation on my test system
>     (running LM 19) and found that some of the components of Flatpak
>     were missing.  I did an uninstall of GC 3.2.  I then added the
>     missing parts to Flatpak. (Curiously, the instructions for
>     installing Flatpak says that a reboot is necessary after
>     installing Flatpak.)  I then reinstalled GC 3.2.  Upon completion,
>     I opened GC and then Price Editor. It is grayed out.  Checking
>     Security Editor, all of my securities are also grayed out.
>
>     Also, going to .gnucash in my home directory, there is no
>     environment file.  So, were does AlphaVantage key go?
>
>     Les
>

>     On 07/28/2018 07:56 AM, Colin Law wrote:
>
>         On 28 July 2018 at 13:20, David Cousens
>         <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>         wrote:
>
>             Deva
>
>             Linux Mint 19 is called Tara and is based on Ubuntu 18.04.
>             Linux Mint 18.2 is called Sonya and is based on Ubuntu 16.04
>             The flatpak version is available in both from the Software
>             manager.
>
>             The flatpak version is fine as long as you don't want any
>             of the
>             optional GnuCashfeatures like
>               aqbanking
>               sql backends etc
>
>         as they do not have these options included in the build. It
>         however
>
>             does have any bugs recorded for GnuCash v3.2 so far.
>
>         In fact the sql backend is included in the build, because it
>         is available
>         from the Save As dialog.  However it doesn't work, for me at
>         least.  In
>         addition it does not appear to generate a trace file, or at
>         least I can't
>         find it, so it is difficult to work out what is going wrong.
>
>         Colin
>         If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
>         https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists
>         <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists> for more
>         information.
>         -----
>         Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>         You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

>     If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
>     https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists
>     <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists> for more information.
>     -----
>     Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>     You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

Re: [GNC] Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya and Gnucash 3.2

Les Elliott
Just noticed that there is a message in Security Editor stating that
Finance::Quote is not installed correctly.  I installed F::Q via "sudo
perl -MPAN -e shell".  So is there another method of installed F::Q?

Les

On 07/28/2018 12:18 PM, Colin Law wrote:

> Which components were missing?
>
> Colin
>
> On 28 July 2018 at 17:40, Les <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Following this thread, I checked my installation on my test system
>     (running LM 19) and found that some of the components of Flatpak
>     were missing.  I did an uninstall of GC 3.2.  I then added the
>     missing parts to Flatpak. (Curiously, the instructions for
>     installing Flatpak says that a reboot is necessary after
>     installing Flatpak.)  I then reinstalled GC 3.2.  Upon completion,
>     I opened GC and then Price Editor. It is grayed out.  Checking
>     Security Editor, all of my securities are also grayed out.
>
>     Also, going to .gnucash in my home directory, there is no
>     environment file.  So, were does AlphaVantage key go?
>
>     Les
>

>     On 07/28/2018 07:56 AM, Colin Law wrote:
>
>         On 28 July 2018 at 13:20, David Cousens
>         <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>         wrote:
>
>             Deva
>
>             Linux Mint 19 is called Tara and is based on Ubuntu 18.04.
>             Linux Mint 18.2 is called Sonya and is based on Ubuntu 16.04
>             The flatpak version is available in both from the Software
>             manager.
>
>             The flatpak version is fine as long as you don't want any
>             of the
>             optional GnuCashfeatures like
>               aqbanking
>               sql backends etc
>
>         as they do not have these options included in the build. It
>         however
>
>             does have any bugs recorded for GnuCash v3.2 so far.
>
>         In fact the sql backend is included in the build, because it
>         is available
>         from the Save As dialog.  However it doesn't work, for me at
>         least.  In
>         addition it does not appear to generate a trace file, or at
>         least I can't
>         find it, so it is difficult to work out what is going wrong.
>
>         Colin
>         If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
>         https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists
>         <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists> for more
>         information.
>         -----
>         Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>         You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

>     If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
>     https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists
>     <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists> for more information.
>     -----
>     Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>     You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

Re: [GNC] Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya and Gnucash 3.2

Shabuboy.joy
Mint 18.2 did not have the gnc-fq-update file and stocks were not working. I
installed it following this instructions:
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Online_Quotes

All good afterwards.

Thank you all!

I sure learned quite a bit such as:
- Why repositories are a bit behind on software versions
- Flatpack is possibly an option
- And lots of other details!

Thanks again!

Re: [GNC] Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya and Gnucash 3.2

Colin,
It is possible it has been compiled or is missing libdbi which
supoports the db access via the various db backends.  It has to be
included in the dependencies to get the sqlbackend to run.  I haven't
yet explored the flatpak process at all. If it hides trace and
debugging information that's not helpful. The two guys who run the
Githubflathub/org.GnuCash.GnuCash site seem to be primarily Gnome
developers rather than being involved with the GnuCash development. I
don't know if they had any contact with the main GnuCash developers
before setting it up.  I converted from LM18.3 to LM 19 iin the middle
of this and struck some initial problems with a kernel upgrade that
LM19 applied automatically. Still recovering from that one. Still
sorting out some problems with network shares as well. I've just about
got the GnuCash build setup back to normal on LM 19 but hit a hitch
with the cmake detection of swig3.0 which I'm sorting out.
David

On 28 July 2018 at 23:11, David Cousens <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Colin,
>
> It is possible it has been compiled or is missing libdbi which supoports
> the db access via the various db backends. It has to be included in the
> dependencies to get the sqlbackend to run.

David,

I see MySQL as an option in Save As so I assumed that meant that it had
been compiled with libdbi enabled.  I am able to save to mysql using a
self-compiled 3.2 version of GnuCash so that suggests to me that the run
time system dependencies are there.  Can you suggest what the problem might
be?  As you say it is a pain that it seems that a trace file is not
generated (I did a full disk search for the trace file and could not find
it) as it is very difficult to know what is going on.

Colin

Re: [GNC] Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya and Gnucash 3.2

David Cousens
Colin,I now suspect it is possibly totally flatpak related. I have just
got my build environment setup after swapping over to Linux Mint 19
Tara  and a fresh build of V3.2  with all options enabled is giving me
all the database save options. I don't have mysql back up yet but it
saved the file as an sqlite3 file with no problems. My guess and it is
only that is there are modules associated with the flatpak system which
perhaps interface with the OS that may be missing. I had problems
seeing USB sticks and network shares form the flatpak, but these have
disappeared with a native build on LM19. I'd stick with your own build
and forget the flatpak at least for the moment. I can't see any
optional modules in the LM19 Software manager but I found a few
references on other forums to having to load additional support for
some interactions with the OS. I hear snap is a better system but have
no experience with it. there is a version on the snapcraft site. Might
have a look once my OS is sorted out and functioning
David
On Sun, 2018-07-29 at 09:04 +0100, Colin Law wrote:

> On 28 July 2018 at 23:11, David Cousens <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Colin,
> >
> > It is possible it has been compiled or is missing libdbi which
> > supoports the db access via the various db backends.  It has to be
> > included in the dependencies to get the sqlbackend to run.
>
> David,
>
> I see MySQL as an option in Save As so I assumed that meant that it
> had been compiled with libdbi enabled.  I am able to save to mysql
> using a self-compiled 3.2 version of GnuCash so that suggests to me
> that the run time system dependencies are there.  Can you suggest
> what the problem might be?  As you say it is a pain that it seems
> that a trace file is not generated (I did a full disk search for the
> trace file and could not find it) as it is very difficult to know
> what is going on.
>
> Colin

Re: [GNC] Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya and Gnucash 3.2

Les Elliott
I don't think there is a 3.2 version of GC in Snap. I think the latest
is 2.6.21. I am using it on my LM 18.2 production system.

Les

On 29 July 2018 at 14:53, Les <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't think there is a 3.2 version of GC in Snap. I think the latest is
> 2.6.21. I am using it on my LM 18.2 production system.

I think I mentioned (much) earlier that I attempted to contact the
snapper(?) to ask if he was going to update it, but there was no response.

Colin

> Les
>

> On 07/29/2018 07:53 AM, David Cousens wrote:
>
>> Colin,I now suspect it is possibly totally flatpak related. I have just
>>
>> got my build environment setup after swapping over to Linux Mint 19
>> Tara  and a fresh build of V3.2  with all options enabled is giving me
>> all the database save options. I don't have mysql back up yet but it
>> saved the file as an sqlite3 file with no problems. My guess and it is
>> only that is there are modules associated with the flatpak system which
>> perhaps interface with the OS that may be missing. I had problems
>> seeing USB sticks and network shares form the flatpak, but these have
>> disappeared with a native build on LM19. I'd stick with your own build
>> and forget the flatpak at least for the moment. I can't see any
>> optional modules in the LM19 Software manager but I found a few
>> references on other forums to having to load additional support for
>> some interactions with the OS. I hear snap is a better system but have
>> no experience with it. there is a version on the snapcraft site. Might
>> have a look once my OS is sorted out and functioning
>> David
>> On Sun, 2018-07-29 at 09:04 +0100, Colin Law wrote:

>>> David,
>>>
>>> I see MySQL as an option in Save As so I assumed that meant that it
>>> had been compiled with libdbi enabled.  I am able to save to mysql
>>> using a self-compiled 3.2 version of GnuCash so that suggests to me
>>> that the run time system dependencies are there.  Can you suggest
>>> what the problem might be?  As you say it is a pain that it seems
>>> that a trace file is not generated (I did a full disk search for the
>>> trace file and could not find it) as it is very difficult to know
>>> what is going on.
>>>
>>> Colin

12