[GNC] Liabilities and Net Worth in Android app

[GNC] Liabilities and Net Worth in Android app

Chris-2

Dear GnuCash community,

I recently installed the Android app for the first time and played
around with it. I noticed two things that I am not sure about and wanted
to ask your opinion/advice.

1. Liabilities

The scenario I am running is a simple credit card. If I use my credit
card and money is withdrawn from it then my understanding is that I am
supposed to use the "payment" option for these transactions. This
results in my liability balance being negative which also leads to the
correct behavior with the bank account it is coupled to: The said
"payment" amount booked from my credit card is subtracted from my bank
account in my assets. Please let me know if I made a mistake in my
assumptions thus far. If this is the correct behavior then this brings
me to my second point:

2. Report - Balance Sheet:

2.1
If the above is correct, then in the reports' balance sheet my assets
are shown in green (positive) and my liabilities in red (negative). But
this leads to my net worth being calculated as follows: Net Worth =
Assets - Liabilities with Liabilities being inserted with its negative
sign and therefore my net worth actually turns out to be adding my
assets and liabilities instead of subtracting them which is of course
not correct. Can someone confirm this?

2.2
The second point I want to make is the reports' balance sheet assets
calculation. I run the following scenario (I would add a screenshot but
the app does not allow for it):

Cash in Wallet:                        18.75
Checking Account:                   2,386.21
        - Subaccount_1:               2,264.04
        - Subaccount_2:               -83.42
             - Subaccount_2.1:       67.10
             - Subaccount_2.2        -150.52
         - Subaccount_3:              205.59
Savings Account:                     0

Total:                                       2,587.16

Clearly the calculated total amount is wrong. I do not know what is
calculated here from the information shown. Can someone confirm? The
correct answer for the total would be 2,404.96 which is also shown when
I look at my assets account.
(Side note: I would also recommend adding some visual distinction for
subaccounts in the report balance sheet. Currently all is shown plain
with the same indentation.)

Thanks for your help and time in advance!
Chris

PS: I was surprised that the mailing list server does not offer TLS. Of
course the list is open but it would be nice if in 2019 it would be
offered since people like me need to turn off "only send emails to TLS
enabled servers".

Re: [GNC] Liabilities and Net Worth in Android app

Bucky Carr

I got the same answer that you did. If you can confirm the
repeatability of this discrepancy, perhaps a bug report should be made.

On 2/1/2019 2:27 AM, Chris wrote:

> 2.2
> The second point I want to make is the reports' balance sheet assets
> calculation. I run the following scenario (I would add a screenshot
> but the app does not allow for it):
>
> Cash in Wallet:                        18.75
> Checking Account:                   2,386.21
>        - Subaccount_1:               2,264.04
>        - Subaccount_2:               -83.42
>             - Subaccount_2.1:       67.10
>             - Subaccount_2.2        -150.52
>         - Subaccount_3:              205.59
> Savings Account:                     0
>
> Total:                                       2,587.16
>
> Clearly the calculated total amount is wrong. I do not know what is
> calculated here from the information shown. Can someone confirm? The
> correct answer for the total would be 2,404.96 which is also shown
> when I look at my assets account.
> (Side note: I would also recommend adding some visual distinction
> for subaccounts in the report balance sheet. Currently all is shown
> plain with the same indentation.)

Re: [GNC] Liabilities and Net Worth in Android app

Maf. King
On Friday, 1 February 2019 09:27:29 GMT Chris wrote:
> Dear GnuCash community,
>
> I recently installed the Android app for the first time and played
> around with it. I noticed two things that I am not sure about and wanted
> to ask your opinion/advice.

Hi,

I imagine that it will come as a surprise to you to find out that the GnuCash
Android app and the main Linux/Mac/Windows program are independent projects.

Despite the similarity of the name, the 2 projects are (as I understand it)
unrelated.

This list is for the "full-fat" program, not the Android app.  You might get
more help if you use another support channel (especially for feature
enhancements tot the App).  I regret to say that I don't know where other
support might be found though.

HTH,
Maf.

AC

On 2019-02-01 10:01, Maf. King wrote:

> On Friday, 1 February 2019 09:27:29 GMT Chris wrote:
>> Dear GnuCash community,
>>
>> I recently installed the Android app for the first time and played
>> around with it. I noticed two things that I am not sure about and wanted
>> to ask your opinion/advice.
>>

> Hi,
>
> I imagine that it will come as a surprise to you to find out that the GnuCash
> Android app and the main Linux/Mac/Windows program are independent projects.
>
> Despite the similarity of the name, the 2 projects are (as I understand it)
> unrelated.
>
> This list is for the "full-fat" program, not the Android app.  You might get
> more help if you use another support channel (especially for feature
> enhancements tot the App).  I regret to say that I don't know where other
> support might be found though.
>
> HTH,
> Maf.

Feeback and support is implemented inside the application.  Under the
main menu there is a selection for "Help and Feedback" and within that
there is a "Contact Us" selection (provides a form to send a message to
the developers), a "Feedback Forum" selection (provides a form to post
to the forum), and a Knowledge Base for select questions/topics.

The Play Store entry does happen to list gnucash.org as the project
website but it also lists [hidden email] as its email.

Between the built-in mechanisms and the Google Groups email the OP
should be able to get some support.

Re: [GNC] Liabilities and Net Worth in Android app

Stephen M. Butler
On 2/1/19 8:11 AM, Bucky Carr wrote:

> I got the same answer that you did. If you can confirm the
> repeatability of this discrepancy, perhaps a bug report should be made.
>

> On 2/1/2019 2:27 AM, Chris wrote:
>>
>> 2.2
>> The second point I want to make is the reports' balance sheet assets
>> calculation. I run the following scenario (I would add a screenshot
>> but the app does not allow for it):
>>
>> Cash in Wallet:                        18.75
>> Checking Account:                   2,386.21
>>        - Subaccount_1:               2,264.04
>>        - Subaccount_2:               -83.42
>>             - Subaccount_2.1:       67.10
>>             - Subaccount_2.2        -150.52
>>         - Subaccount_3:              205.59
>> Savings Account:                     0
>>
>> Total:                                       2,587.16
>>
>> Clearly the calculated total amount is wrong. I do not know what is
>> calculated here from the information shown. Can someone confirm? The
>> correct answer for the total would be 2,404.96 which is also shown
>> when I look at my assets account.
>> (Side note: I would also recommend adding some visual distinction for
>> subaccounts in the report balance sheet. Currently all is shown plain
>> with the same indentation.)

Are you using Reports:Assets & Liabilities:Balance Sheet?  If so, my
accountant wife agrees that it is poorly formatted.  And the other one
using eguile while better formatted includes an Income Statement as part
of the Balance Sheet.

Perhaps you would like to try a modified version of the eguile one that
my wife much prefers.  I call it "Balance Sheet -- formatted".  You can
download the associated files here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lAnu09qeAKQI66-k_uP558IpfL_2Ce-h

I forget which O/S you are on.  The config-user.scm goes into my
$HOME/.config/gnucash folder.  The other three go into
$HOME/.local/share/gnucash folder.

Beware if you already have a config-user.scm file.  Simply take the
contents and add them to your existing one:  (load
(gnc-build-userdata-path "balsheet-fmtd.scm"))

You will need to adjust the  above paths to your particular O/S.  I'm
running on a Linux distro -- Ubuntu 18.04

--Steve

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
253-350-0166
AC

On 2019-02-01 11:42, Stephen M. Butler wrote:

> I forget which O/S you are on.  The config-user.scm goes into my
> $HOME/.config/gnucash folder.  The other three go into
> $HOME/.local/share/gnucash folder.

He's using the Android application

Re: [GNC] Liabilities and Net Worth in Android app

> On Feb 1, 2019, at 1:27 AM, Chris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> PS: I was surprised that the mailing list server does not offer TLS. Of course the list is open but it would be nice if in 2019 it would be offered since people like me need to turn off "only send emails to TLS enabled servers".

Thanks for reporting that, we thought that TLS was set up on lists.gnucash.org, but we had a configuration error. Derek thinks that he's fixed it.

[GNC] SMTP TLS -- Re: Liabilities and Net Worth in Android app

Derek Atkins-3

On Fri, February 1, 2019 4:27 am, Chris wrote:

> PS: I was surprised that the mailing list server does not offer TLS. Of
> course the list is open but it would be nice if in 2019 it would be
> offered since people like me need to turn off "only send emails to TLS
> enabled servers".

Strangely, this was half-configured already, but the certificates weren't
there.  Not sure how that happened, but it's been fixed.  Can you try
again now and let me know?

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745

On 01/02/2019 19:56, AC wrote:

> On 2019-02-01 10:01, Maf. King wrote:
>> On Friday, 1 February 2019 09:27:29 GMT Chris wrote:
>>> Dear GnuCash community,
>>>
>>> I recently installed the Android app for the first time and played
>>> around with it. I noticed two things that I am not sure about and wanted
>>> to ask your opinion/advice.
>>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I imagine that it will come as a surprise to you to find out that the GnuCash
>> Android app and the main Linux/Mac/Windows program are independent projects.
>>
>> Despite the similarity of the name, the 2 projects are (as I understand it)
>> unrelated.
>>
>> This list is for the "full-fat" program, not the Android app.  You might get
>> more help if you use another support channel (especially for feature
>> enhancements tot the App).  I regret to say that I don't know where other
>> support might be found though.
>>
>> HTH,
>> Maf.
>
> Feeback and support is implemented inside the application.  Under the
> main menu there is a selection for "Help and Feedback" and within that
> there is a "Contact Us" selection (provides a form to send a message to
> the developers), a "Feedback Forum" selection (provides a form to post
> to the forum), and a Knowledge Base for select questions/topics.
>
> The Play Store entry does happen to list gnucash.org as the project
> website but it also lists [hidden email] as its email.
>
> Between the built-in mechanisms and the Google Groups email the OP
> should be able to get some support.

Thank you for your friendly clarification. Apologies for this. I will
write to the email you provided. (Indeed I got to write to this list
through the GnuCash.org website since the Android app is promoted there
and above it is a big fat "Need Help?" info box that puts me through to
the mailing list without saying "not for Android" explicitly :)
Cheers

PS: There's a typo in the Android note "/Note that GnuCash for Android
is not a *port *of the GnuCash program to Android.*"*/

Re: [GNC] SMTP TLS -- Re: Liabilities and Net Worth in Android app

Chris-2
On 01/02/2019 22:37, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, February 1, 2019 4:27 am, Chris wrote:
>> PS: I was surprised that the mailing list server does not offer TLS. Of
>> course the list is open but it would be nice if in 2019 it would be
>> offered since people like me need to turn off "only send emails to TLS
>> enabled servers".
> Strangely, this was half-configured already, but the certificates weren't
> there.  Not sure how that happened, but it's been fixed.  Can you try
> again now and let me know?
>
> Thanks,

Dear Derek,

if this email reaches the list, then TLS is working.

Cheers
Chris

On Saturday, 2 February 2019 11:29:20 GMT [hidden email] wrote:

> Thank you for your friendly clarification. Apologies for this. I will
> write to the email you provided. (Indeed I got to write to this list
> through the GnuCash.org website since the Android app is promoted there
> and above it is a big fat "Need Help?" info box that puts me through to
> the mailing list without saying "not for Android" explicitly :)
> Cheers
>
> PS: There's a typo in the Android note "/Note that GnuCash for Android
> is not a *port *of the GnuCash program to Android.*"*/

Yeah, I can see it isn't explicit...

what's the typo, I must be being extra thick this morning, but the website it
says exactly what you have typed above - what do you think it should say?

Maf.

Re: [GNC] Liabilities and Net Worth in Android app

David Carlson-4
On Sat, Feb 2, 2019 at 5:50 AM Maf. King <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Saturday, 2 February 2019 11:29:20 GMT [hidden email] wrote:
>

> > PS: There's a typo in the Android note "/Note that GnuCash for Android
> > is not a *port *of the GnuCash program to Android.*"*/
> >

> Yeah, I can see it isn't explicit...
>
> what's the typo, I must be being extra thick this morning, but the website
> it
> says exactly what you have typed above - what do you think it should say?
>
> Maf.

Perhaps that person thought "port" was supposed to be spelled "part".
After all, that is a highly technical term.

David C

[hidden email] writes:

> Dear Derek,
>
> if this email reaches the list, then TLS is working.

Considering you sent it to me *and* the list, I have no way to confirm.
My tests seem to imply it is working.  ;)

> Cheers
> Chris

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745

Re: [GNC] SMTP TLS -- Re: Liabilities and Net Worth in Android app

R. Victor Klassen
It reachd the list.