[GNC] Keeping two sets of books

taf

[GNC] Keeping two sets of books

taf
Hello,

I've just started using Gnucash.  In the past I've used a basic
bookkeeping package, but it's no longer available. I'm trying to keep
two sets of books... one for personal accounting and one for a
corporation.  I'm running Version 3.4 Build ID: 3.4+ (2018-12-30) on
Windows 7; I've set up the books, saving the books into two different
MySql data bases with separate users and passwords.  So far so good. I
can switch between sets of books by selecting

File->Open...->

and then in the Open dialog, selecting MySql data format and specifying
database, userid, and password.  This seems to be a bit klunky... am I
missing something fundamental?

Ideally I'd like to have two desktop shortcuts, one to use each set of
books, specifying at least format, database and user within the shortcut.

So... any help?

Re: [GNC] Keeping two sets of books

GnuCash - User mailing list
On 3/30/19 3:40 PM, taf wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've just started using Gnucash.  In the past I've used a basic
> bookkeeping package, but it's no longer available. I'm trying to keep
> two sets of books... one for personal accounting and one for a
> corporation.  I'm running Version 3.4 Build ID: 3.4+ (2018-12-30) on
> Windows 7; I've set up the books, saving the books into two different
> MySql data bases with separate users and passwords.  So far so good. I
> can switch between sets of books by selecting
>
> File->Open...->
>
> and then in the Open dialog, selecting MySql data format and specifying
> database, userid, and password.  This seems to be a bit klunky... am I
> missing something fundamental?
>
> Ideally I'd like to have two desktop shortcuts, one to use each set of
> books, specifying at least format, database and user within the shortcut.
>
> So... any help?

I have a similar issue. I happen to run Linux, but I imagine the same
would work on a machine running Windows.

1.) Establish one login account for your personal use. E.g., the one you
have now.

2.) Establish a second account for the corporation's books.

3.) I assume this is now all done for your personal book.

4.) Setup a new Gnucash account for the corporation. Perhaps you can
skip that and just move the corporation data from from where it is to
the right directories on the corporation's account.

In Linux, they will be in your directory in GnuCash and .gnucash. I do
not know where they would be in Windows.

--
  .~.  Jean-David Beyer
  /V\  PGP-Key:166D840A 0C610C8B

Re: [GNC] Keeping two sets of books

David Cousens
The GnuCash data files (XML) will be in the home directory of the logged in
user of the OS who created the data file and in whatever location they
created them within the users home directory.

The  location of MySQL files will be where MySQL stores its database files
on your OS, E.g. C:/ProgramData/MySQL/MySQL Server 5.7\Data or similar on
WIndows
or in
/var/lib/mysql on most Linux systems (can be overridden in the mysql
configuration fiile).

GnuCash also stores user preference data and user configuration data as well
as stored reports, checks etc in a separate location within the appropriate
user's home directory as described in
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Configuration_Locations for Linux, Windows and
MacOSX.

Use of separate login accounts will allow you to have separate user
preferences, stored reports etc for each user.  A single user account for
both sets of books will use the same user preferences etc for both sets of
books.

Re: [GNC] Keeping two sets of books

S McGraw
On 3/30/19 1:40 PM, taf wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've just started using Gnucash.  In the past I've used a basic bookkeeping package, but it's no longer available. I'm trying to keep two sets of books... one for personal accounting and one for a corporation.  I'm running Version 3.4 Build ID: 3.4+ (2018-12-30) on Windows 7; I've set up the books, saving the books into two different MySql data bases with separate users and passwords.  So far so good. I can switch between sets of books by selecting
>
> File->Open...->
>
> and then in the Open dialog, selecting MySql data format and specifying database, userid, and password.  This seems to be a bit klunky... am I missing something fundamental?
>
> Ideally I'd like to have two desktop shortcuts, one to use each set of books, specifying at least format, database and user within the shortcut.
>
> So... any help?

Running 'gnucash --help' as a command (and likely the same info is in the help somewhere) show that the gnucash command takes an argument that is the the datafile to open.  It seems 'datafile' can also be a url for a database connection.  Thus I have two desktop shortcuts that run respectively the commands:

   gnucash postgres://stuart:xxxxx@localhost/gc-home

   gnucash postgres://stuart:xxxxx@localhost/gc-business

where "stuart" is the *database* (not OS) user account, "xxxxx" the database password "gc-home" and "gc-business" the names of the databases for each set of books.  I presume something similar will work for mysql.

I do have a long persisting problem where I am asked every time for a password for my keyring (something I've never used, set up, or want) but since clicking "Cancel" results in gnucash opening fine I've never bothered to try to fix it.  (I'm running gnucash on Ubuntu linux.)

It is a big plus for me to have both sets of books available from the same OS user account.  As others point out, settings etc will be the same for both sets of books.  For me, that is an advantage.
taf

Re: [GNC] [SOLVED] Keeping two sets of books

taf

On 2019-03-31 18:23, Stuart McGraw wrote:

> On 3/30/19 1:40 PM, taf wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've just started using Gnucash.  In the past I've used a basic
>> bookkeeping package, but it's no longer available. I'm trying to keep
>> two sets of books... one for personal accounting and one for a
>> corporation.  I'm running Version 3.4 Build ID: 3.4+ (2018-12-30) on
>> Windows 7; I've set up the books, saving the books into two different
>> MySql data bases with separate users and passwords.  So far so good.
>> I can switch between sets of books by selecting
>>
>> File->Open...->
>>
>> and then in the Open dialog, selecting MySql data format and
>> specifying database, userid, and password.  This seems to be a bit
>> klunky... am I missing something fundamental?
>>
>> Ideally I'd like to have two desktop shortcuts, one to use each set
>> of books, specifying at least format, database and user within the
>> shortcut.
>>
>> So... any help?
>
> Running 'gnucash --help' as a command (and likely the same info is in
> the help somewhere) show that the gnucash command takes an argument
> that is the the datafile to open.  It seems 'datafile' can also be a
> url for a database connection.  Thus I have two desktop shortcuts that
> run respectively the commands:
>
>   gnucash postgres://stuart:xxxxx@localhost/gc-home
>
>   gnucash postgres://stuart:xxxxx@localhost/gc-business
>
> where "stuart" is the *database* (not OS) user account, "xxxxx" the
> database password "gc-home" and "gc-business" the names of the
> databases for each set of books.  I presume something similar will
> work for mysql.

Thanks!  This gave me what I needed. 'gnucash --help' from the command
line gave me nothing (I'd seen in the archives that I should try that) .

> I do have a long persisting problem where I am asked every time for a
> password for my keyring (something I've never used, set up, or want)
> but since clicking "Cancel" results in gnucash opening fine I've never
> bothered to try to fix it.  (I'm running gnucash on Ubuntu linux.)
>
> It is a big plus for me to have both sets of books available from the
> same OS user account.  As others point out, settings etc will be the
> same for both sets of books.  For me, that is an advantage.

Re: [GNC] Keeping two sets of books

There are multiple reasons for that pop-up and a solution for each. One involves disabling automatic login to the desktop. (if you use it) You can also create a different ‘default’ keyring and set it to non-protected. (so it is visible to anyone—not wise unless you store nothing in it.) Some apps also let you tell them to ignore the keyring check entirely. (Chrome is one such app, not sure about MySQL)

> On Mar 31, 2019, at 8:23 PM, Stuart McGraw <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> I do have a long persisting problem where I am asked every time for a password for my keyring (something I've never used, set up, or want) but since clicking "Cancel" results in gnucash opening fine I've never bothered to try to fix it.  (I'm running gnucash on Ubuntu linux.)

Re: [GNC] Keeping two sets of books

S McGraw
No auto-login here and I think the app that needs an option to ignore the keyring check entirely is Gnucash (not the database which isn't an app).  As for creating a different default keyring, I'll look into that sometime (so thanks for the direction to look!) but right now, clicking the Cancel button is the easiest way out.  As annoyances go it is nowhere near as bad as those caused by Gnome/GTK but that's a subject for a different list. :-)

> There are multiple reasons for that pop-up and a solution for each. One involves disabling automatic login to the desktop. (if you use it) You can also create a different ‘default’ keyring and set it to non-protected. (so it is visible to anyone—not wise unless you store nothing in it.) Some apps also let you tell them to ignore the keyring check entirely. (Chrome is one such app, not sure about MySQL)
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
>
>> On Mar 31, 2019, at 8:23 PM, Stuart McGraw <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> I do have a long persisting problem where I am asked every time for a password for my keyring (something I've never used, set up, or want) but since clicking "Cancel" results in gnucash opening fine I've never bothered to try to fix it.  (I'm running gnucash on Ubuntu linux.)

Re: [GNC] Keeping two sets of books

Adrien Monteleone-2
While GnuCash is the app you are trying to run, it is calling MySQL (which is its own app) with the user:password as an argument. I suspect (though I could be wrong) that it is MySQL trying to check that password in the keychain that is the trigger. Something to consider. Good luck figuring it out and if you do, please report back here for posterity or add the info to the wiki.

> On Apr 2, 2019, at 12:19 PM, Stuart McGraw <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> No auto-login here and I think the app that needs an option to ignore the keyring check entirely is Gnucash (not the database which isn't an app).  As for creating a different default keyring, I'll look into that sometime (so thanks for the direction to look!) but right now, clicking the Cancel button is the easiest way out.  As annoyances go it is nowhere near as bad as those caused by Gnome/GTK but that's a subject for a different list. :-)
>
>> There are multiple reasons for that pop-up and a solution for each. One involves disabling automatic login to the desktop. (if you use it) You can also create a different ‘default’ keyring and set it to non-protected. (so it is visible to anyone—not wise unless you store nothing in it.) Some apps also let you tell them to ignore the keyring check entirely. (Chrome is one such app, not sure about MySQL)
>> Regards,
>> Adrien
>>> On Mar 31, 2019, at 8:23 PM, Stuart McGraw <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>

>>> I do have a long persisting problem where I am asked every time for a password for my keyring (something I've never used, set up, or want) but since clicking "Cancel" results in gnucash opening fine I've never bothered to try to fix it.  (I'm running gnucash on Ubuntu linux.)

Re: [GNC] Keeping two sets of books

Colin Law
If, as an experiment, you start a new accounts file and save it as
xml, then shutdown and restart gnucash, which should then open the xml
file, do you get the popup?

Colin

On Tue, 2 Apr 2019 at 18:21, Stuart McGraw <[hidden email]> wrote:

> No auto-login here and I think the app that needs an option to ignore the keyring check entirely is Gnucash (not the database which isn't an app).  As for creating a different default keyring, I'll look into that sometime (so thanks for the direction to look!) but right now, clicking the Cancel button is the easiest way out.  As annoyances go it is nowhere near as bad as those caused by Gnome/GTK but that's a subject for a different list. :-)
>
> > There are multiple reasons for that pop-up and a solution for each. One involves disabling automatic login to the desktop. (if you use it) You can also create a different ‘default’ keyring and set it to non-protected. (so it is visible to anyone—not wise unless you store nothing in it.) Some apps also let you tell them to ignore the keyring check entirely. (Chrome is one such app, not sure about MySQL)
> >
> > Regards,
> > Adrien
> >
> >> On Mar 31, 2019, at 8:23 PM, Stuart McGraw <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>

> >> I do have a long persisting problem where I am asked every time for a password for my keyring (something I've never used, set up, or want) but since clicking "Cancel" results in gnucash opening fine I've never bothered to try to fix it.  (I'm running gnucash on Ubuntu linux.)

Re: [GNC] Keeping two sets of books

S McGraw
It opens without the popup.  Which I suppose implies that the keyring checking is occurring in gnucash code conditionally for database access, or in whatever api gnucash uses for database access (libdbi?), or possibly in database-specific api libdbi uses (eg libpq(?) for Postgresql).  I don't think it's the latter since I've not noticed anything about it in the libpq docs but I could have easily missed something.

On 4/2/19 3:09 PM, Colin Law wrote:

> If, as an experiment, you start a new accounts file and save it as
> xml, then shutdown and restart gnucash, which should then open the xml
> file, do you get the popup?
>
> Colin
>
> On Tue, 2 Apr 2019 at 18:21, Stuart McGraw <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> No auto-login here and I think the app that needs an option to ignore the keyring check entirely is Gnucash (not the database which isn't an app).  As for creating a different default keyring, I'll look into that sometime (so thanks for the direction to look!) but right now, clicking the Cancel button is the easiest way out.  As annoyances go it is nowhere near as bad as those caused by Gnome/GTK but that's a subject for a different list. :-)
>>
>>> There are multiple reasons for that pop-up and a solution for each. One involves disabling automatic login to the desktop. (if you use it) You can also create a different ‘default’ keyring and set it to non-protected. (so it is visible to anyone—not wise unless you store nothing in it.) Some apps also let you tell them to ignore the keyring check entirely. (Chrome is one such app, not sure about MySQL)
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Adrien

Re: [GNC] Keeping two sets of books

Colin Law
I think Adrien is correct, mysql needs access to the keyring in order
to check user access permissions, though if you logon to the PC
manually, entering your password, then I would not have expected it to
have to ask again, and it certainly should not happen each time you
run gnucash.  I think it is most likely an issue with your system and
mysql though, not a GnuCash issue.

Colin

On Tue, 2 Apr 2019 at 23:08, Stuart McGraw <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It opens without the popup.  Which I suppose implies that the keyring checking is occurring in gnucash code conditionally for database access, or in whatever api gnucash uses for database access (libdbi?), or possibly in database-specific api libdbi uses (eg libpq(?) for Postgresql).  I don't think it's the latter since I've not noticed anything about it in the libpq docs but I could have easily missed something.
>
> On 4/2/19 3:09 PM, Colin Law wrote:
> > If, as an experiment, you start a new accounts file and save it as
> > xml, then shutdown and restart gnucash, which should then open the xml
> > file, do you get the popup?
> >
> > Colin
> >
> > On Tue, 2 Apr 2019 at 18:21, Stuart McGraw <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> No auto-login here and I think the app that needs an option to ignore the keyring check entirely is Gnucash (not the database which isn't an app).  As for creating a different default keyring, I'll look into that sometime (so thanks for the direction to look!) but right now, clicking the Cancel button is the easiest way out.  As annoyances go it is nowhere near as bad as those caused by Gnome/GTK but that's a subject for a different list. :-)

Re: [GNC] Keeping two sets of books

S McGraw
JFTR, the OP was using Mysql, I am using Postgresql.

I use many other Postgresql tools and have code (mine and third-party) that
accesses my databases (including the Gnucash ones) and have never had anything
make a peep about keyrings, only Gnucash.  Google Chrome, although it has
nothing to do with Postgresql, also generates the same kind of keyring prompts
(but I don't use it so I don't care).  I agree there is probably something
messed up on my system regarding the keyring and login, but I don't see that
Postgresql (and analogously Mysql) themselves care.  Which leaves Gnucash and
libdbi as the prime suspects.

Since, to me, the annoyance is less than the time it would probably take
to research/fix it, I will wait until I serendipitously encounter some post
from someone with the same problem who has fixed it.  Or until I upgrade
someday and the problem magically disappears. :-)